Mortal Kombat vs Tekken

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Darkerman

Which Video game series do you prefer?

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bestostero

Tough call, but I have to say Mortal Kombat.

I like Mortal Kombat characters better than Tekken (Except for the rejects that came after MK4).  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that MK is more dark too... but don't get me wrong, Tekken is awesome and I kick ass with King, but I much prefer Johnny Cage and Kitana :)

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nefarious

This is a tough choice. I'd say Mortal Kombat.

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ARMIV

Mortal Kombat for me. I never really got into Tekken, and MK has characters (or maybe kharacters) that I find more enjoyable.  
Even some of the new guys.
Avatar image for prince_cortsether
Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Prince CortSether

Tekken. Unless it's Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Larkin1388

I think I'm gonna have to go with Mortal Kombat. MKII is the best one though....

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cpt_linger

MK - Flawless victory. 

I never understood the read and blue 'dust' that would appear after each strike in Tekken, it just pissed me off. I prefer bloodshed and decapitation.
mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikethekiller

Tekken by far 

CDviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CDviper

if the respective characters from each game that i used  it would be Scorpion vs Eddy Gordo and i think we all know how that fight would go down
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Caligula

Mortal Kombat.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Outside_85

Tekken, only thing i've played. But it keeps getting worse with each new release. 

Saw the MC movie and steered clear of the game.  

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MKF30

Mortal Kombat for me. Tekken is fun, but I just love MK way more. IMO, deeper characters, story and I love darker series/things in general! :) 

You guys see the Tekken movie? It was ok, but I really enjoyed the first MK movie a lot!  

@CDViper lol yeah, Scorpion would murder then burn Eddy's body to nothingness lol 10 fold

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By King_Saturn
I guess Mortal Kombat... personally I like Noob Saibot and Sub Zero over any Tekken character but that is me... 
Avatar image for xavier_st__cloud
Xavier St. Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xavier St. Cloud

MK FTW... Tekken is a good game, but MK is better, IMO.
NickA_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NickA_94
NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NexusOfLight

Tekken all day. MK's fun an' all but it just don't do it for me. Tekken seems more fluid, and I like the characters a lot better.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Street Fighter > Tekken > Mortal Kombat.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator
Tekken. Its what got me into martial arts. Its stereotypes seemed more diverse and accurate as well. The characters allow for broader projection, chain grabs and combos are all that and, it seems to have a healthier appreciation for fighting and martial arts. A fight should be up close and personal, with wrist breakage, head butts, counters, combos, feigns, sidesteps, backflips onto heads, and strained delayed power ups which deliver attacks that deplete your enemy by 70 percent... uh... Mortal Kombat I get into and enjoy and have more fun with though. I like both games really. Mortal Kombat's got a more epic storyline, and well Fatalities of course. I think the clincher is that Tekken actually use to let me eat lunch for free all though all my school life! Can't deny what gave me my free lunch! Oh, and I like the characters more overall. More badass of every type of character. Most of Mortal Kombat's most badass characters come from another realm lol, come on now son, gotta represent the Earth realm a bit better yea? Oh, and then I am naturally biased, Eastern Martial arts >> Movie Martial arts. 
Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Both

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@SC said:
" Tekken. Its what got me into martial arts. Its stereotypes seemed more diverse and accurate as well. The characters allow for broader projection, chain grabs and combos are all that and, it seems to have a healthier appreciation for fighting and martial arts. A fight should be up close and personal, with wrist breakage, head butts, counters, combos, feigns, sidesteps, backflips onto heads, and strained delayed power ups which deliver attacks that deplete your enemy by 70 percent... uh... Mortal Kombat I get into and enjoy and have more fun with though. I like both games really. Mortal Kombat's got a more epic storyline, and well Fatalities of course. I think the clincher is that Tekken actually use to let me eat lunch for free all though all my school life! Can't deny what gave me my free lunch! Oh, and I like the characters more overall. More badass of every type of character. Most of Mortal Kombat's most badass characters come from another realm lol, come on now son, gotta represent the Earth realm a bit better yea? Oh, and then I am naturally biased, Eastern Martial arts >> Movie Martial arts.  "
This ^
humanfly26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#21  Edited By humanfly26

this would have been interesting as a poll..

I pick Mortal Kombat. Tekken seems more realistic from a martial arts standpoint, but that's really not what I'm looking for in a fighting game. I want to be able to do stupid things like freeze someone or suck out their soul... isn't THAT what fighting games are all about? :-)

The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By The_Assassin_

Mortal Combat

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Shadowdoggy

yeah, I was shocked when I heard this game announced 
they have such VASTLY different play styles 
MK fighters are popping in and out of the ground, throwing fireballs, freezing stuff, using sonic screams 
and the Tekken guys are just really good technical figthers 
I'm confused by this one 
but I'm excited to start seeing gameplay footage
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MKF30

SF 4 is good but your typical SF game.... and Tekken 6 was blah...but I do like Tekken 3 and Tekken 5 a bit IMO they were the best Tekken games. 

MK>>>all fighters for me though, MK9 is getting a demo! Bitchin! 

MK got me into martial arts since it was out before Tekken and was fighting and supernatural element, the whole story got me hooked and darker, serious tone. 

The new game coming out looks epic! 

@humanfly26

said: 

" this would have been interesting as a poll..  I pick Mortal Kombat. Tekken seems more realistic from a martial arts standpoint, but that's really not what I'm looking for in a fighting game. I want to be able to do stupid things like freeze someone or suck out their soul... isn't THAT what fighting games are all about? :-) "

There actually was a poll/thread made already, MK was leading on here not too long ago. But that aside, MK has also used real, authentic martial arts since the older games but really went nuts with it in the 3D games with real styles. MK what's cool about it is the deeper story, unique characters and super natural element to it. Besides the darkness, I've always liked the seriousness of it compared to other fighters. 
Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Darkseid Elite

Both.  

When I first got my black and white gameboy, my first game was Mortal Kombat. Even though I got my butt handed to me, I loved playing MK on Sega. 

As for Tekken I played that game religiously on my PS1 everyday. Had some goods time playing Jin. I like the bear and kangaroo. They were pretty clutch.
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wise Son

Flawless victory. 

It was the game that got me into gaming. There have been ups and downs but I dig the characters, the epic-absurd storyline and well the gore. Kung Lao, Reptile, Ermac, Sektor, Shang Tsung, Scorpion, etc.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By Caligula
@TheGoldenOne said:
" @SC said:
" Tekken. Its what got me into martial arts. Its stereotypes seemed more diverse and accurate as well. The characters allow for broader projection, chain grabs and combos are all that and, it seems to have a healthier appreciation for fighting and martial arts. A fight should be up close and personal, with wrist breakage, head butts, counters, combos, feigns, sidesteps, backflips onto heads, and strained delayed power ups which deliver attacks that deplete your enemy by 70 percent... uh... Mortal Kombat I get into and enjoy and have more fun with though. I like both games really. Mortal Kombat's got a more epic storyline, and well Fatalities of course. I think the clincher is that Tekken actually use to let me eat lunch for free all though all my school life! Can't deny what gave me my free lunch! Oh, and I like the characters more overall. More badass of every type of character. Most of Mortal Kombat's most badass characters come from another realm lol, come on now son, gotta represent the Earth realm a bit better yea? Oh, and then I am naturally biased, Eastern Martial arts >> Movie Martial arts.  "
This ^ "
but can you rip a dudes spine out?
Avatar image for golden_superman
Golden Superman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Golden Superman

Devil Jin solos Mortal kombat.

LuckyLeft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LuckyLeft

Tough...Mortal Kombat II and Takken 3 are two of my favorite games, period....

Can I say both? Although Yoshimitsu is my favorite character to play with out of either franchise.....

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Manchine

This is tough.  Both are pretty much second rate games but I would have to go with Tekken.  Mortal Kombat sucks just a little more.
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MKF30

lol ^ MK don't suck, MK rocks. Probably a SC fan lol

Nahh Golden, Raiden, Scorp would kill DevilJin and Ermac as well. Onaga, Shao Kahn to name a few off hand would hand Devil's ass to him

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Caligula said:
" @TheGoldenOne said:
" @SC said:
This ^ "
but can you rip a dudes spine out? "

No... but you can stab yourself 10 times, whilst grunting like a motorbike, then with your sword still inside you, spin around like a helicopter screaming Wrheeeeeeeeeeeee slicing and dicing your enemy.  

Ripping a spine out just isn't cool, unless its your own spine and you use it to choke your enemy whilst you tell them how beautiful their eyes are. 
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By King_Saturn
I would take Mortal Kombat 2 over almost any Tekken game... when MK 2 came out, that spit was off the hook ( especially at the arcades )
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MKF30

Well, the fatalities is kind of neat I mean, first fighting game ever to ever incorporate them and have many bite offs after it. Sorry, perhaps I'm warped lol but this is just TOO cool! 

Scalar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scalar

Mortal Kombat, Tekken is replaced with Street Fighter for me.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mikethekiller

Speaking of tekken, tekken tag is looking raw

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MKF30
@mikethekiller said:
" Speaking of tekken, tekken tag is looking raw "
Yeah, TT2 looks interesting. I have some interest in SF x Tekken, the 3D(namco) version of that game will be weird though seeing SF guys in 3D. I'm sure it'll be better then SF EX was though
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#38  Edited By The Impersonator

MORTAL KOMBAT!

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@The Impersonator said:
" MORTAL KOMBAT! "
This, I grew up with it more so than Tekken. 
Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Full_Spectrum

Tekken had Law, who was just Bruce Lee. therefore, he wins. period. i like mortal kombat, but i like tekken more. i prefer soul caliber over both though.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Full_Spectrum said:
" Tekken had Law, who was just Bruce Lee. therefore, he wins. period. i like mortal kombat, but i like tekken more. i prefer soul caliber over both though. "
Street Fighter had Fei-Long..the original Bruce Lee clone. 

@MKF30 said:
" SF 4 is good but your typical SF game.... 
Nothing typical about SFIV whatsoever.Complete downplay of the major changes.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Tekken for me.It's better storywise,the graphics aren't even comparable,the level of upgrade in detail in extras between games are well worth it and it has a way better fighting engine.It's possibly the best and most realistic 3D fighting engine of all.It has a way better grasp on fighters from around the world with respective styles than any game i've seen so far.They really capture the best of each style and stay true to characters races and abilities.It's possibly the only fighter with spot on voice overs in their cinematics.

Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Full_Spectrum
@Vance Astro: i know, but between tekken and MK, i had to go tekken. however soul caliber outshines them all. IMHO
Cosmic_Falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cosmic_Falcon

The new Mortal Kombat game looks sick

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Full_Spectrum:  Tekken has TWO Laws and just like Bobby Fuller, when you fight the Law, the Law wins. Too bad Paul had to find that out the hard way.  

BTW love the secret moves in Tekken... remember the first time I power bombed a King Frankensteiner like it was yesterday... oh wait, it was yesterday. No wait... it wasn't. The awesomeness of the move has made my memories all screwed up. 
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MKF30

Vance, Graphically the Tekken games did look far better then the 3d MK games, however this MK puts Tekken to shame coming out and yes SF4 is more or less a cut and paste of older SF games but slightly updated and has 3D cell shaded graphics. If you go onto various SF sites, even the higher level players admit SF4 although can be played seriously is also far more casual then previous SF's like SFIII, ST or Turbo.  

Tekken having sparks pop out of your face is kind of lame. Besides, Tekken 6 was ok no where near the best MK and storyline wise well that's your perspective but MK's story is far better then all fighters and has depth with their characters at least.

P.S. actually guys, MK had Liu Kang as the first Bruce Lee inspired character before Law and Fei Long came out...

@Cosmic_Falcon

said:

" The new Mortal Kombat game looks sick "

It does indeed.
mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mavfan626

As much as I like MK, I think think Tekken is a better series..

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MKF30

Depends what you mean by "better" but it's all about preferences...every Tekken game looks the same to me, kind of got bored fast with it.  

@NickA_94 said: 

@Xavier St. Cloud: 
Mortal Kombat is better 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dp9FgOWBjk     

I almost had a heart attack when I saw this, pure epicness! "

I know right lol, so many epic MK9 videos it's ridiculous...  
mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mavfan626

I think the gameplay is better.. the combos are more interesting and take skill to pull off.. also the characters fighting styles are different to one another..  

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MKF30

Tekken is also a 3D game, most MK's are 2D so in that respect I think it's hard to say. MK games have had various fighting styles though with their 3D games, in fact multiple styles in MK DA, Deception that are different from one another and MKA but most fans wanted the basics, oldschool back to 2D. I also read up that VF came out before Tekken and Tekken was highly influenced from that game with fighting styles and DOA also has fighting styles besides MK.

2D fighters>>>3D fighters, I'll take UMK3 or MK2 over any Tekken game gameplay wise any day honestly.