Mortal Kombat II vs Street Fighter II

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

I checked the search function and nothing came up so forgive me if this has been done before but what one of these fighting games do you like better? I'm Taking Street Fighter II

Mortal Kombat II (commonly abbreviated as MKII) is a competitive fighting game originally produced by Midway Games for the arcades in 1993. It is the second game in the Mortal Kombat series. Like its predecessor, various home versions were produced.

The game was a great critical and commercial success, both in the arcades and at home. At the time of its release, MKII had the best opening-week sales in video game history. As of 2009, many Mortal Kombat fans still considered MKII to be the best title in the entire series.

The game proved to be a huge commercial success and even a cultural phenomenon, with the first-week over $50 million sales for cartridge consoles dwarfing even the initial box office of movie blockbusters such as True Lies, The Mask and The Lion King. On the day of the game's release, dubbed "Mortal Friday", an unprecented number of more than 2.5 million copies were shipped to be distributed. Critical reception of MKII at the time of its release was mostly very positive: the game's average ratings at GameRankings are 85.63% for Genesis version and 85.87% on SNES, yet only 61.75% for the flawed Game Boy port. Sega Visions called the way in which the sequel was directed as "sheer brillance". In 2008, Destructoid called it "the best game to ever grace arcades". As late as 2009, many Mortal Kombat fans still considered MKII to be the best title in entire series. Over the years, many other gaming publications also featured Mortal Kombat II on the various lists of the top video games of all time (some examples of this are bolded out in the table to the right).

VS

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (ストリートファイターⅡ -The World Warrior-) is a competitive fighting game originally released for the arcades in 1991. It is the second entry in the Street Fighter series and the arcade sequel to the original Street Fighter released in 1987. It was Capcom's fourteenth title that ran on the CP Systemarcade hardware. Street Fighter II improved upon the many concepts introduced in the first game, including the use of command-based special moves and a six-button configuration, while offering players a selection of multiple playable characters, each with their own unique fighting style.

The success of Street Fighter II is credited for starting the fighting game boom during the 1990s which inspired other game developers to produce their own fighting game franchises, popularizing the genre. Its success led to a sub-series of updated versions (see below), each offering additional features and characters over previous versions, as well as several home versions. In 1993, sales of Street Fighter II exceeded $1.5 billion in gross revenues, and by 1994, the game had been played by at least 25 million Americans in homes and arcades. The video game console ports to the Super NES and Mega Drive sold more than 14 million copies, and it remains Capcom's best-selling consumer game of all time as of 2010.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Inverno

Mortal Kombat II. Street Fight is too hard for me T_T

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Street Fighter 2.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@_slim_ said:

Street Fighter 2.

Goku1fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Goku1fan

@_slim_ said:

Street Fighter 2.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

Street Fighter 2. The only MK that was better than SF was MK1 compared to SF1.

BurningDoom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By BurningDoom1

Ultimate MK3 was the best game in the original MK series, anyways. Either way, I'd still pick SFII. Street Fighter II just felt more fluid and smooth to play, which makes it stand the test of time better. MK did look cooler and have more of an edge to it, though. Both are great fighting game series.

krilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By krilling

MK2. I liked the roster in that game and loved the friendship feature. Apart from that MK had always flashed me more than Street Fighter.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By SuperTide

@_slim_ said:

Street Fighter 2.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Bestostero

MKII

Because NOTHING, says I love you more than choking them, then punch them in the crotch, rip there heart out, feed it to them and then push them over and spit on them.