• 195 results
MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By MakkyD

@mortein: It's only a major factor for a minority of people. With this logic I could claim anything to be a demotivating/ motivating factor.

"The reason we want to explore space is to find new food." So we should promote people enjoying a variety of food. "The reason we haven't spend as much money exploring space anymore is because people are fearful of aliens from horror films", so we should try get rid of horror films.

It's a strawman, because you've seen the responses as well as I have that religion isn't the main factor why people don't care about eliminating aging, but yet you bring it into the argument anyway because it has some thin connections and is easier to blame

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@blacklegraph: Those religions were started by men. The morals they wrote were their own inventions. There is no universal code of morals. People develope morals on their own.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not surprised considering that many people around the world have the same beliefs.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Mortein

@maccyd said:

@mortein: It's only a major factor for a minority of people. With this logic I could claim anything to be a demotivating/ motivating factor.

"The reason we want to explore space is to find new food." So we should promote people enjoying a variety of food. "The reason we haven't spend as much money exploring space anymore is because people are fearful of aliens from horror films", so we should try get rid of horror films.

It's a strawman, because you've seen the responses as well as I have that religion isn't the main factor why people don't care about eliminating aging, but yet you bring it into the argument anyway because it has some thin connections and is easier to blame

I was just trying to point out that acceptance of our own mortality which most people gain through religion and promise of an afterlife is not necessarily always a good thing, and that it can also have a negative consequences, and then I gave the example of how it can be a demotivating factor for fighting aging and death. It's kind of hard to fight something you already made peace with.

"I do agree that faith, maybe even a religion is still needed, but definitely not in the amount we currently have in our society. To deny religion and the idea of afterlife to a mother who just lost her child would be like denying painkiller drugs to someone who just got his legs crushed by a bulldozer. Faith and religions are necessary tools we should use when reality is too harsh for us to cope. The problems start when religions and faiths start using us instead of us using them. The problems is when we start using drugs which cloud our vision of reality even when we don't really need them.

However, one more problem I have with religion is that the comfortable lie it gives us about the afterlife demotivates people from really targeting aging and death as a serious problems here on Earth. We live in a time when we are not too far away from seriously tackling and maybe even defeating all the diseases and disabilities of old age, but this process is greatly slowed down by demotivation produced by religious belief in the after life, which will cost us countless lives."

I never said people use afterlife as an argument against developing medicines for aging, (even tho they do, usually far more often then they did in those 2 threads) but rather that their perception of aging and death is embellished by this belief in afterlife.

Obviously if you perceive some problem not as bad as it really is, you will not be adequately motivated to fix it.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@blacklegraph: Those religions were started by men. The morals they wrote were their own inventions. There is no universal code of morals. People develop morals on their own.

I was just clarifying your "before religions" statement. You still have religions as the driving force of morals and not secularism anyway regardless of who started them.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:

@maccyd said:

I was just trying to point out that acceptance of our own mortality which most people gain through religion and promise of an afterlife is not necessarily always a good thing, and that it can also have a negative consequences, and then I gave the example of how it can be a demotivating factor for fighting aging and death. It's kind of hard to fight something you already made peace with.

"I do agree that faith, maybe even a religion is still needed, but definitely not in the amount we currently have in our society. To deny religion and the idea of afterlife to a mother who just lost her child would be like denying painkiller drugs to someone who just got his legs crushed by a bulldozer. Faith and religions are necessary tools we should use when reality is too harsh for us to cope. The problems start when religions and faiths start using us instead of us using them. The problems is when we start using drugs which cloud our vision of reality even when we don't really need them.

However, one more problem I have with religion is that the comfortable lie it gives us about the afterlife demotivates people from really targeting aging and death as a serious problems here on Earth. We live in a time when we are not too far away from seriously tackling and maybe even defeating all the diseases and disabilities of old age, but this process is greatly slowed down by demotivation produced by religious belief in the after life, which will cost us countless lives."

I never said people use afterlife as an argument against devolving medicines for aging, (even tho they do, usually far more often then they did in those 2 threads) but rather that their perception of aging and death is embellished by this belief in afterlife.

Obviously if you perceive some problem not as bad as it really is, you will not be adequately motivated to fix it.

That is only if fighting death is a good thing, which everything indicates that it is not. It is still widely accepted as necessary.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@blacklegraph: Those religions were started by men. The morals they wrote were their own inventions. There is no universal code of morals. People develop morals on their own.

I was just clarifying your "before religions" statement. You still have religions as the driving force of morals and not secularism anyway regardless of who started them.

My phrasing was incorrect. When I hear religion i automatically think of "God or higher power" talking to men. my mistake

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@bigcimmerian said:

@blacklegraph said:

@bigcimmerian said:

@frozen: What do you think about what I said, that muslims will devour Europe? There isn't many muslims who consider themselves atheists.

It's pretty much already started. There was another poll that shows 'Muhammad' is the most popular name for baby boys in the UK.

Yes, and we already have 2 muslim majority countries in Europe and one partially recognised, and they are extremely agressive.

Younger Muslims are more likely to keep to their faith for cultural defense.

That's actually very true when I think about it.. but what about middle eastern countries and african ones they are nearly all fanatical muslims? Problem is that many of them are moving to Europe and are breeding too fast for Europeans and are agresively assimilating christians when they become minority due to lesser birth rate.

Sorry, sir, but your late statement is not quite correct.

In fact, you would be surprised.

Many of them are moving to europe, but as immigration study have shown, those who are going are the smart ones. Even then, the economical and social reality is enough to keep their demographic quite low. You don't make that many children when your wife isn't able to raise them because she has to work to feeding them. So they make more children than the average european, -Let's say, 3 or 4, max.- and stop after that.

The children themselves tend to either acclimate, or are indeed going "fanatical", but when they go back in the country, most of those tend to come back really fast in europa, because of the difficulty of the life. (No water, political turmoil, etc, etc...)

And when they "breed", as you so delicately say that, they don't make so much of children for the exact same reason that their parent didn't had 7 or 8 children family before. Money, practical factor, and european lifestyle.

Even the people in africa or Middle east, tend to be quite practical about their faith. When I go back in the country of my father, I was astounded by the fact that people there weren't really that fanatical about the main religion (Christianity.). Sure they believed in god, and were quite homophobic, but that was existing before the religion come in.

So yeah, you get some fanatical, and in some backward country, they come in power, bit it's more a result of the overall undereducation and poverty than anything else.

In europa, in some city, you can have the impression of immigrant crowding, but it's more the result of bad urban management. Where the civil autority push all the immigrant, who are often not really rich in some area where the home are olds and cheap. In truth, more often than not, the immigrant population represent 10% of the total population at best. but only 3 to 4% are coming from beyond the frontier of europa.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

I agree with that, many many many people in the UK these days are atheist, in my school, most of the kids were.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Mortein

@maccyd said:

Loading Video...

Just a video I accidentally ran into, from which you can see what am I talking about.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Noone301994
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#162 frozen  Moderator

@noone301994: Try again.

This is a thread which confirms increased Secularization. This is not ''preach Atheism'' which would contrast to a Religious nut.

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiritual practice can be very morally and psychologically helpful.

So those English people can go eat a bag of dicks sporting goods

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 frozen  Moderator

@okayalright_44: I have never read an established consensus of Batman being catholic. It alternates between writers. In one comic he says ''And I cannot even pray. For I have no God''.

But Batman's religion is irrelevant. He exists in a Universe to which Norse Gods, Greek Gods, New Gods, Hindu Gods and The Presence (representation of monotheistic God) are all known to co-exist.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Noone301994
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By frozen  Moderator
Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Mortein

@maccyd said:

I just accidentally ran into another video from which you can see how religions can effect people to be less enthusiastic and even opposed to life without sickness, aging and involuntarily death, and I remembered you.

I ran into videos like this couple of times a month.

Loading Video...

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos: You write too much, I'm not sure if you had experience with muslim breeders, but I do. In some parts of Serbia like Kosovo and southern parts, there was 400 000 Albanians in 1945. Now there is 2 million. Nearly every family has 6-8 children. And when they became majority, guess what followed? Terrorist attacks, attacks on non albanian population, which resulted in 1999 war in which NATO intervened and bombed Yugoslavia/Serbia.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#170  Edited By Claymore1998

Can we please not start pointing fingers on any particular religion.

I am not saying its wrong, but its a topic which is likely to get a lot of people upset.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Noone301994
Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos: You write too much, I'm not sure if you had experience with muslim breeders, but I do. In some parts of Serbia like Kosovo and southern parts, there was 400 000 Albanians in 1945. Now there is 2 million. Nearly every family has 6-8 children. And when they became majority, guess what followed? Terrorist attacks, attacks on non albanian population, which resulted in 1999 war in which NATO intervened and bombed Yugoslavia/Serbia.

I'm truly sorry for the state of your country.

But I doubt it has really anything to do with religion. Serbian are often allied with Russian, and since the USA decided to contain the russian push to the medditereean sea, they will back up any people.

But please, don't bring the 1999 war on. There was not angel on either side. This feud last since beyond WWII.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@frozen:

It won't be an atheist society. All the muslims keep trying to force their way in.

Nerise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

bad

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Too many anti-religion thread

=(

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that only around 60% of Albanians are Muslims, it might be impolite to use these 2 words as synonymous.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By bigcimmerian

@mortein said:

@bigcimmerian said:

I think that only around 60% of Albanians are Muslims, it might be impolite to use these 2 words as synonymous.

No, there is huge difference between Albanians in Albania and Albanians from Kosovo. More than 90% of them in Kosovo are muslims, but situation is slightly different in Albania where it is possible to be around 60% of muslims and others are orthodox, catholic and atheist. Take a look at the video I posted please.

Loading Video...

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:

@bigcimmerian said:

But I doubt it has really anything to do with religion. Serbian are often allied with Russian, and since the USA decided to contain the russian push to the medditereean sea, they will back up any people.

But please, don't bring the 1999 war on. There was not angel on either side. This feud last since beyond WWII.

It basically started when Ottomans conquered Balkan. They tried to convert every nation present there, they succeeded with Albanians and with small percent of Serbs who are today known as Bosniaks. They gave them bigger rights and everything, so they killed and discriminated Serbs and Greeks whenever it was possible. And so hatred between nations started to build up and it escalated at the end of 20 century and still continues to this day.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:

@bigcimmerian said:

It basically started when Ottomans conquered Balkan. They tried to convert every nation present there, they succeeded with Albanians and with small percent of Serbs who are today known as Bosniaks. They gave them bigger rights and everything, so they killed and discriminated Serbs and Greeks whenever it was possible. And so hatred between nations started to build up and it escalated at the end of 20 century and still continues to this day.

Very true, but you forget all the times were the two people were playing against eah other by other country, Ottoman empire, then Austo-Hungarian and Germany, Russia, then Nazi Germany, and I certainly forgot some between them.

The place is a strategic hellhole, but when the yougolsvia war began, some of the bosniak called some mudjahedin to help, even if they didn't like it.

I would almost bet my hand that's those guys who are messing with the Kosovo people and causing stir.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 frozen  Moderator

Too many anti-religion thread

=(

This isn't anti-religious thread, or isn't intended to be. It's just reporting a study/survey.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not Britain, and I agree with those 50%.

- TAS

Me too.

L. D.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Religion does more harm than good.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Good.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Rpgesus

It's a beautiful day

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#187  Edited By deathstroke52

Kind of sad.

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard England was pretty non religious now but I didnt know it was that non religious.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They can believe what they want. I don't care about religion in Europe.

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomofukuoka: England and other European countries are making a big mistake by letting all those Muslims in

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomofukuoka: I agree with everything you said, except that America regrets what happened.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Splendid, now we just need people to think like that in the U.S.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No such thing as good without religion, without religion it's just what you like and what you don't, good, bad/evil are concepts of belief.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The British were never really religious to begin with. So it's not very surprising. They have been secular for centuries.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364 said:

No such thing as good without religion, without religion it's just what you like and what you don't, good, bad/evil are concepts of belief.

No Caption Provided

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allah will judge them harshly