• 78 results
#2 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

The pay isn't the only issues, getting the hours is a huge problem for those working for minimum wage. At least I can say that's the case in the U.S.

#4 Edited by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

Many minimum wage jobs have minimum skills required. I worked at Home Depot for a while. I showed people where merchandise was. I smiled and said hi. Even now, my main job is preparing income taxes. With todays software i'm disgustingly over paid for that. Honestly, if you are over the age of 22, you should have skills that will allow you to get past minimum wage.

#5 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

Many minimum wage jobs have minimum skills required. I worked at Home Depot for a while. I showed people where merchandise was. I smiled and said hi. Even now, my main job is preparing income taxes. With todays software i'm disgustingly over paid for that. Honestly, if you are over the age of 22, you should have skills that will allow you to get past minimum wage.

But some people dont. Some are students. Some have to support family members, children, sick people.

#6 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many reasons to be in debt. Your job shouldn't be one of them.

#7 Posted by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

But some people dont. Some are students. Some have to support family members, children, sick people.

Those sound like excuses. all of those excuses have been overcome with a little effort and planning.

#8 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:
@willpayton said:

@pooty said:

Those sound like excuses. all of those excuses have been overcome with a little effort and planning.

What you call "excuses" I call context.

#10 Posted by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:
@willpayton said:

@pooty said:

with effort you can overcome all those excuses and get a good paying job. How much does a person flipping burgers deserve to make?

#11 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Can't say I agree 100% with everything you've written, but you use reasoning instead of sound bites and catch phrases, and that's worth a follow, in my book. ^_^

#14 Posted by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:
@pooty said:

Well, it depends what the job market is like in your area. Obviously, it varies from region to region. Some areas may only have low-wage work available.Then there is the issue of underqualification or overqualification.

Furthermore, about 50% of all college graduates are either unemployed or doing low-wage work. If you oversaturate or flood the job market with college degrees, then you are going to face problems in society. The value and worth of a college degree has gone down due to the fact that "so many people have them". "A college degree today is the new high school diploma". There are even some people with Master's degrees who can't find the appropriate work that matches their Master's degree education. That is rather disturbing.

Then there is the "Oh, apply online." situation in which you have to actually wait for a response. Many people never get any responses at all. Many of those places simply aren't hiring.

You also can't expect everyone to move to an area that has a better job market because they may not be able to afford that. Besides, low-wage work is slowly but surely being replaced by automation. So we'll see how that plays out in the near future. I think this is already happening in Japan. lol

If you noticed I didn't say you need a degree, i said a skill. I never went to a four year college. but i turned skills or a hobby into a career . I think many people have skills or hobbies that they could turn into so much more. but they get complacent and never go for it. also, everyone can't be rich or even well off. I don't think everyone deserves to be. some people are only worth minimum wage.

#16 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: My disagreements are on comparatively minor points, really. In some cases, vehicle and cell phone ownership are almost necessary to professional progression. A lot of HR offices won't give your application a second glance if you don't own a vehicle (sadly, many places in the US are either entirely lacking or have, at best, mediocre public transit), and more than a few employers want you to have the availability that a cell phone provides. It's a vicious cycle, of course; these items cost money, which requires a job, which requires these items.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24768 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@willpayton said:

@pooty said:
@willpayton said:

@pooty said:

with effort you can overcome all those excuses and get a good paying job. How much does a person flipping burgers deserve to make?

I know people who work their asses off every day on minimum wage while constantly trying to get a higher paying job, problem is there are simply not enough decent paying jobs for everyone so regardless of effort they're stuck where they are.

#20 Edited by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: True, the employer cannot force you to have such, at least not overtly. I've spoken to more than a few employers, however, who admit that someone without a car or phone doesn't stand much of a chance against someone who does. The haves always get more, and the have-nots always get nothing. I've seen more than a few folks lose their jobs because their means of transportation broke down, they couldn't afford to have it repaired or replaced, and their place of employment was not reachable via public transit.

#21 Posted by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I know people who work their asses off every day on minimum wage while constantly trying to get a higher paying job, problem is there are simply not enough decent paying jobs for everyone so regardless of effort they're stuck where they are

I see literally hundreds of good paying jobs posted in the newspaper every week. i'm always reading that jobs exist, but people are not qualified for them. If you need to learn a new skill then do that. If you need to relocate then do that. if you need to become an entrepreneur(like i did) then do that. There are many ways to find success. they just need to find what works for them

#22 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

I see literally hundreds of good paying jobs posted in the newspaper every week. i'm always reading that jobs exist, but people are not qualified for them. If you need to learn a new skill then do that. If you need to relocate then do that. if you need to become an entrepreneur(like i did) then do that. There are many ways to find success. they just need to find what works for them

Those people that dont do these things are just lazy. Am I right?

#24 Posted by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

No. Not lazy. just don't want change bad enough

#25 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@willpayton said:

@pooty said:

How is that different from lazy?

#26 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@willpayton said:

@pooty said:

Inspiring, but in my experience, employers are more interested in fancy degrees from elite institutions and years of industry experience than they are in desire and gumption.

#28 Posted by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

@gwahlur_rising: but in my experience, employers are more interested in fancy degrees from elite institutions and years of industry experience than they are in desire and gumption.

Depends i guess. i see "Willing to train " jobs and jobs that will hire and train you if you are willing to work for them. indeed.com has thousands of jobs that start above minimum wage. or do as i said above: if you need to become an entrepreneur(like i did) then do that.

@willpayton: How is that different from lazy?

Those people still wake up every morning and go work a minimum wage job. They work OT and get a second job. That is not lazy.

#29 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Valid points. I'm going to continue to play the devil's advocate, however, and point out that, in order to get into the investment game, you first need some form of capital to invest, and you would need property to rent out in the latter case. In both cases, you would need a certain degree of expertise to avoid your investment turning into a financial sinkhole; for every successful investor I've crossed paths with, I've probably met ten who lost it all when the market took a tumble.

#31 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: We must be living in two very different job markets. If an employer is willing to pay a living wage and train their employees, that's fantastic. We need more like that. Most of the employers I've encountered do neither.

#33 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Indeed. "Be born to successful parents" just wouldn't sell many self-help books, would it? ;)

#34 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to go Dee Dee Ramone, but the rent has got to get paid somehow.

#35 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

: How is that different from lazy?

Those people still wake up every morning and go work a minimum wage job. They work OT and get a second job. That is not lazy.

If they're working so much why are they still poor?

#36 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

: How is that different from lazy?

If they're working so much why are they still poor?

The same reason so many celebrities can do so little and be rich. Work ethic has little to no effect on wealth.

#38 Edited by Edamame (28401 posts) - - Show Bio

The people that make the most money in this country are CEOs, celebrities, investment bankers, venture capitalists and politicians.

#39 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4899 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup OP post looks totally right for me and DAM this thread is making me get depressed.

( + )

#40 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: Cheer up; one day the sun will go supernova and nothing that ever happened on this planet will have mattered in the slightest! ^_^

#41 Posted by pooty (11767 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: they work HARD not SMART. and again, how much money should a grocery cashier or burger flipper make? they deserve what they make IMO

@pooty: We must be living in two very different job markets. If an employer is willing to pay a living wage and train their employees, that's fantastic. We need more like that. Most of the employers I've encountered do neither.

truck drivers. LPN's. taxi drivers. train all the time. my local airport is paying $11 an hour to unload luggage. HR block made me a store manager after 1 year. that paid $14 plus commission. After 3yrs i went into business for myself. I live in the midwest. we're broke. but opportunities are there for people who really want it

#42 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4899 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@willpayton: they work HARD not SMART. and again, how much money should a grocery cashier or burger flipper make? they deserve what they make IMO

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your original comment then.

Poor people arent lazy. They're stupid!

#45 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats funny, thats more then I earn.

#47 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW, anyone notice the irony in that McDonalds budget they gave to their employees?

Look at it, anyone see it???

LOL... they suggest that you have TWO jobs. It's like "Here's how you can live with the money you make from working here at McDonands. Step#1: Get another job!"

#48 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (256 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW, anyone notice the irony in that McDonalds budget they gave to their employees?

Look at it, anyone see it???

LOL... they suggest that you have TWO jobs. It's like "Here's how you can live with the money you make from working here at McDonands. Step#1: Get another job!"

There's a reason that the term "McJob" was coined...

#49 Edited by Edamame (28401 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#50 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4899 posts) - - Show Bio
@bruxae said:

Thats funny, thats more then I earn.

That's actually how much I was making when I was working two jobs that paid a little bit more than minimum wage, so I totally believe you.

( + )