#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (36955 posts) - - Show Bio

Sources indicate Microsoft is going to move away from what's caused the company so much headache.

The tug-of-war between Microsoft and Sony just got more interesting. Multiple sources inform me Microsoft will announce what amounts to a complete reversal on its DRM policies for Xbox One today.

What does this mean?

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

It is unclear what caused this huge change in policy right after E3, a week where Microsoft executives spent days explaining, justifying, and talking about its policies to the press. I suspect Microsoft’s official announcement will say something to the effect of “we've been closely listening to consumer feedback.”

Based on what I’m being told, that’s definitely true.

I've reached out to Microsoft for comment.

Microsoft has taken an enormous amount of heat regarding DRM policies with its new console. Sony became consumer heroes at E3, announcing PlayStation 4 would not treat used games differently, and the status quo would reign. The company released this video, twisting the knife:

Of course, Xbox One is still $499 and PlayStation 4 is still $399. But today moves the needle.

SOURCE: Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies - Giant Bomb

#2 Edited by Decoy Elite (29923 posts) - - Show Bio

Turns out people don't have to like being stalked by a company, who knew?

#3 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (36955 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay I can get Dead Rising 3 now !

#5 Posted by Telcalipoca (963 posts) - - Show Bio

they avoided the iceburg instead of sepeding up .good for them

#6 Edited by Nerx (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why we ought to complain more

Do it until we get what we want

EFF m$

EDIT

kinda too late to pull their d!ck out of that beehive

#7 Posted by Rorie (963 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty amazing turnaround on their part. Hard not to laugh a bit at their ineptitude.

Staff
#8 Posted by _Glacier_ (6705 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Microsoft really doing this?I was always a fanboy of Sony,but if they actually manage to change those errors,I may buy One,but it's still a little bit expensive for me.

#9 Posted by Nefarious (24754 posts) - - Show Bio

Good.

#10 Edited by Mara (42 posts) - - Show Bio

It's cool that they've backtracked, but I don't want to use kinect.

#12 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (28475 posts) - - Show Bio

Great!

#13 Posted by Deranged Midget (18081 posts) - - Show Bio

@mara said:

It's cool that they've backtracked, but I don't want to use kinect.

Interesting to see how they handle that, considering the Kinect was primarily used to correlate with the constant internet connection and what-not. Might end up not being mandatory, you never know!

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36955 posts) - - Show Bio

@rorie: Ah since we have your attention, is there any chance of more Dark Souls streams? :)

#15 Posted by Nerx (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

Wh0res, the lot of them

No balls, should have folded

#17 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew they would fold eventually but I was really curious on how it would sell, I guess we'll never know now.

#18 Posted by mikethekiller (8535 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm. may be hope for them after all...I'm still buying a PS4 though.

#19 Posted by Chaos Prime (10895 posts) - - Show Bio

Too late ive already pre ordered the Ps4 & this is coming from a loyal XBox360 fanBoy :)

#20 Posted by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Great news. I have reason to buy all three consoles now.

#21 Posted by Rorie (963 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: most definitely! been a bit busy this week, but I might hop in sometime tonight.

Staff
#22 Posted by Nerx (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

NSAbox

the ban is still on

#23 Posted by Tengu_ninja (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool news is good

#24 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (36955 posts) - - Show Bio

@rorie: cool, I'v thought about trying Dark Souls but it scares the hell out of me lol

#25 Posted by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel a bit mixed.... I'm happy because now I can get Killer instinct. However, I kind of wanted them to fail. They kind of deserve it for trying to pull this kind of crap on us gamers. I'm still getting a Ps4, but if Xbox one can build a good library, I'll probably one after a price drop.

#26 Edited by _Glacier_ (6705 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew they would fold eventually but I was really curious on how it would sell, I guess we'll never know now.

They just could not let it that way.When the product is told to be bad and many people complain about it,sending e-mails,status on Facebook/Twitter,the company has no way out but reformulate said product,that's what I was expecting to happen,and it looks like it's going to.

#27 Edited by Ms. Omega (4606 posts) - - Show Bio

To late Microdouche you lost me at your press conference still do not want.

#28 Posted by XImpossibruX (5334 posts) - - Show Bio

Please god let this all be true.

#29 Posted by Deranged Midget (18081 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by frogdog (3717 posts) - - Show Bio

ATTENTION ALL NAY-SAYERS, CORPORATE APOLOGISTS, AND GAME "JOURNALIST" SUCKUPS WHO TOLD US ALL TO SHUT UP, BEND OVER AND TAKE IT

I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA

#31 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL @ Microsoft.

#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36955 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog said:

ATTENTION ALL NAY-SAYERS, CORPORATE APOLOGISTS, AND GAME "JOURNALIST" SUCKUPS WHO TOLD US ALL TO SHUT UP, BEND OVER AND TAKE IT

I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA

LOL

#33 Edited by i_like_swords (19199 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

This is why we ought to complain more

Do it until we get what we want

EFF m$

EDIT

kinda too late to pull their d!ck out of that beehive

I really f*cknig like that phrase and if you don't mind it's being added to my mental vocabulary.

#34 Posted by BenTheBat (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Not suprised I havent seen a gaming system take this much heat right out of the gate. The must be connected to the internet idea is the worst idea I have ever heard for a gaming system!

#35 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (13564 posts) - - Show Bio

Turns out people don't have to like being stalked by a company, who knew?

So that why Taylor Swift boyfriends leave her?

No, it makes no sense, people love nut jobs be behind them and see what they do, all time during all the thing they are doing.

#36 Posted by Project_Worm (3582 posts) - - Show Bio

Now they just have to change the STUPID name...

#37 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh

#38 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (24609 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately the PS4 still is 100 dollars less expensive.

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36955 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing actually

#40 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

..People are so forgving and gullible. "LOOK GUYS, THEY CHANGED IT. FOR USSSSSS. THEY CARE!".

No. They changed it because they realized PS4 was literally kicking them around the park with more announcements. After they got demolished in E3, it had to be an eye-opener. And I still don't trust them. Didn't they mention those features could be changed at anytime after the inital release?

Keeping to my Nintendo and Sony. Not saying they are perfect, I'm saying they're alot better than Microsuckthecashrightofyasoft.

#41 Edited by frogdog (3717 posts) - - Show Bio

..People are so forgving and gullible. "LOOK GUYS, THEY CHANGED IT. FOR USSSSSS. THEY CARE!".

No. They changed it because they realized PS4 was literally kicking them around the park with more announcements. After they got demolished in E3, it had to be an eye-opener. And I still don't trust them. Didn't they mention those features could be changed at anytime after the inital release?

Keeping to my Nintendo and Sony. Not saying they are perfect, I'm saying they're alot better than Microsuckthecashrightofyasoft.

Internet High Five