consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@lykopis said:

@pooty said:

@consolemaster001: Saying that this is a "rape joke" is like saying if i beat a black guy in a video game and i say : "lol i totally owned you" it implies slavery.

End thread

I had no idea slavery is still a pervasive issue in your country. Wow.

It still exists in some shape and form.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By SideburnGuru
cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By Deranged Midget

As said,I don't really think he meant for it to be a rape joke.However,the problem is more on the lines of strictly what he said,not really what he meant (because we know that,most likely,he didn't actually mean for it to be a rape reference,but it still was nonetheless).However,context makes ALL of the difference as to the meaning of the phrase.

Strictly,you can clearly think of it as a mirroring to rape.However,in context (and btw,I think the crowd thought he was joking when he actually wasn't. Sometimes when I talk with my friends,I say something that they completely take out of context and assume that I meant it as an immature joke.) I think he was just saying that his victory was inevitable and she would lose any second now.But still,I am kinda torn a bit.I really hope that we can actually see what his thoughts were,rather than some cheap apoloIogy (maybe for something that was put into a completely different definition than what he actually meant).....or it is possible that he DID intend it as a joke....And I am not really sure what she means by "No I don't like this".Did she have a fight stick as well? This isn't really relevant,I just wanna know...

Which is what I meant by people taking it ignorantly out of context, which is exactly what is being demonstrated in this thread.

He wasn't joking? Why would the crowd laugh if he didn't jokingly make a poor joke at his fellow colleague? If anyone has EVER interacted in any sort competitive event, something like that has more than likely been said as a joke. It's pretty evident that the majority of people pointlessly arguing this fact haven't bothered to watch the demonstration in it's entirety or are just so fixated on the fact that it HAS to be rape related because a woman was involved.

As for the fight stick, it resembles what was used on old school arcade fighters and the male developer was utilizing one while the woman developer was simply using an Xbox controller. Generally for more experienced fighting game fans, fight sticks are favoured more often than not and easier to use.

No Caption Provided

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: With all due respect, I didn't hear any laughter. Are you talking about the guy in the video?

That whole video sounded like those two players akwardly saying *at times* suggestive things to eachother in a horrible pattern.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty
This argument could've went alot better without the signs of arrogance.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Deranged Midget

@deranged_midget:

With all due respect, I didn't hear any laughter. Are you talking about the guy in the video?

That whole video sounded like those two players akwardly saying *at times* suggestive things to eachother in a horrible pattern.

Look at the video posted, twelfth second. Audience laughter after he says it.

Sadly, that's basically the case with all these developer demo's at the large press conferences. They try to have funny banter and it comes off as incredibly forced and embarrassing :P

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is making me nauseous.

Just because it's commonly used to rile up your opponent, doesn't make it okay. In between friends, being rowdy and vulgar is one thing -- in a public demonstration, televised and stream-lined on the internet is another. I do not believe the gentleman who said it was using the term outside of only indicating he was winning. Of course not -- how could that ever be okay? But that it's a term that being bandied about -- and being just common vocabulary between gamers.....ugh.

Can someone please tell me -- sincerely -- what else could those words mean? I am not a hardcore gamer, but that doesn't mean my opinion is any less valid than someone who is. It's the same with phrases along the lines of "I'm getting reamed" -- I mean, that is even in reference to one's self for crying out loud.

There is a child's rhyme -- it went like this:

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo,

Catch a tiger by the toe;

If he hollers let him go,

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo

Simple and innocent and used to determine teams in a schoolyard (typically). However, it went like this for a long, long time:

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo,

Catch a n***** by the toe;

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo

That's pretty horrific, right? Pretty blatant too -- and the kids who sang that at recess truly did not know what that heck they were singing -- probably were introduced to the n-word that way. And this was common -- and this was taught to new generations -- over and over -- and not one kid really thought they were taking about catching another human being by their toe. They just wanted to get their teams worked out. But can you imagine how children of African ethnicity felt, hearing it?

Is it a perfect example? Far from - but it illustrates my point that a turn of phrase can be passed along and sincerely be utilized for something entirely different -- unknowingly -- but still, wrong. Does it make the people who use it bad? Of course not. Not at all. But it should be stopped, it shouldn't be allowed to continue without at least pointing out the origins behind the phrase and the why and how it's been used. Knowing that and insisting it's harmless is one's choice -- true. In your own living room or within your own group of friends -- I can see how it can be seen as harmless. Do you think I'm not guilty of the same thing? I am. But to insist repeatedly that it's no big deal -- that it's reading too much into something - even saying it's utter bullsh*t is wrong. It's not.

Anyway. I am done. I apologize if I have offended anyone, it wasn't my intent and I don't consider the gaming community a hot-bed of misogynist rape enthusiasts.

But I am not going to pretend that this is okay. That's all.

I'm out. :)

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By SideburnGuru

@deranged_midget said:

@sideburnguru said:

@deranged_midget:

With all due respect, I didn't hear any laughter. Are you talking about the guy in the video?

Look at the video posted, twelfth second. Audience laughter after he says it.

Sadly, that's basically the case with all these developer demo's at the large press conferences. They try to have funny banter and it comes off as incredibly forced and embarrassing :P

I gotta be honest, I still missed it. I heard like, one or two people laughing it seemed like.

And yeah, I agree with that. It didn't even seem like funny banter. Just.. weird.

@lykopis
Pretty much agree with most of that.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: The pessimism is making me nauseous. The fact that it has to be assumed as a sexual innuendo or rape above everything else is mind boggling to me.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru: Don't know what to tell you then mate. I for one, clearly heard audience laughter but hey, I'm Deranged ;)

Yep, that's the case with all these big showcase performances.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

This thread is making me nauseous.

Just because it's commonly used to rile up your opponent, doesn't make it okay. In between friends, being rowdy and vulgar is one thing -- in a public demonstration, televised and stream-lined on the internet is another. I do not believe the gentleman who said it was using the term outside of only indicating he was winning. Of course not -- how could that ever be okay? But that it's a term that being bandied about -- and being just common vocabulary between gamers.....ugh.

Can someone please tell me -- sincerely -- what else could those words mean? I am not a hardcore gamer, but that doesn't mean my opinion is any less valid than someone who is. It's the same with phrases along the lines of "I'm getting reamed" -- I mean, that is even in reference to one's self for crying out loud.

There is a child's rhyme -- it went like this:

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo,

Catch a tiger by the toe;

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo

Simple and innocent and used to determine teams in a schoolyard (typically). However, it went like this for a long, long time:

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo,

Catch a n***** by the toe;

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo

That's pretty horrific, right? Pretty blatant too -- and the kids who sang that at recess truly did not know what that heck they were singing -- probably were introduced to the n-word that way. And this was common -- and this was taught to new generations -- over and over -- and not one kid really thought they were taking about catching another human being by their toe. They just wanted to get their teams worked out. But can you imagine how children of African ethnicity felt, hearing it?

Is it a perfect example? Far from - but it illustrates my point that a turn of phrase can be passed along and sincerely be utilized for something entirely different -- unknowingly -- but still, wrong. Does it make the people who use it bad? Of course not. Not at all. But it should be stopped, it shouldn't be allowed to continue without at least pointing out the origins behind the phrase and the why and how it's been used. Knowing that and insisting it's harmless is one's choice -- true. In your own living room or within your own group of friends -- I can see how it can be seen as harmless. Do you think I'm not guilty of the same thing? I am. But to insist repeatedly that it's no big deal -- that it's reading too much into something - even saying it's utter bullsh*t is wrong. It's not.

Anyway. I am done. I apologize if I have offended anyone, it wasn't my intent and I don't consider the gaming community a hot-bed of misogynist rape enthusiasts.

But I am not going to pretend that this is okay. That's all.

I'm out. :)

I think I understand what you're saying.It's kinda like what my friend used to do.She used to get angry when people would get offended when she stuck up her middle finger and said "it doesn't mean anything". And I always thought "maybe you didn't mean to say f*** off,but that's what it actually means". That's kinda a bad example,but you know what I mean....

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ms__omega:

I don't see how my one point "helped" yours. I said there was A meaning, not different meanings. Whether or not it was true on untrue, I never claimed there were different meanings in that statement.

You said: "You think those people who throw it out think of it like that? No. They use it as a casual insult. They don't remember the fact there is still a meaning behind each insult thrown out." How doesn't that? The very fact of someone throwing out SMD and not meaning SMD proves my point. It had another meaning for them so therefore it does have another meaning. The fact that they don't remember an insult has another meaning means they couldn't possible meant what YOU thought it meant when they said it.

So, you're basically saying someone should always remember that due to modern day slang, the long time meaning of the word could be moot because the trash in our society decided to add a seconday meaning to make it more acceptable. That's always nice.

No what I'm saying is ......I can't believe I have to actually repeat myself. "As much as people need to understand what they say might mean something else to others those others should also realize what they hear might mean something else to the people saying it."

Which means

1 The person speaking should realize what they are saying isn't what people are hearing.

2 The listener should realize what they are hearing isn't what is being said.

3 The important thing is the meaning of what is being said.

No, that doesn't change the context of ANY word. EVERY word has a meaning, just as every phrase has a meaning. You saying "That's not true" is the context changer.

Again simply not true. Words have multiple meanings. There are words in the dictionary that have multiple definitions. There are verbs that can be used as nouns. Nouns that ger used as verbs. Also context can change totally change the meaning behind the word. I can call my friend my dog and it would be a friendly gesture. Now if I see him cheating on his GF and called him a dog it would be an insult.

So, let's just say I'm wrong. That means that slang just makes our society seem like bigger trash due to giving words that SHOULD have a direct meaning such as "SMD" a secondary meaning.

First you do realize things you probably have no problem with saying now and said it in the past people would be saying the same thing about what you're saying? That's beside the point though. How is that any more trashy than saying any vulgar insult that already is being said? Personally I think a world where people realized what a person means is more important then the words he used to express themselves is far more important then a less vulgar one.

No_Trolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@no_trolling said:

@lykopis: To be fair, that phrase could have suggested something other than rape. Different individuals could have taken that joke in a different way. I for one didn't think of it as a rape joke until it was mentioned. The guy probably didn't think of it as a rape joke either. It seems as if assumptions are making things worse then they are.

Give me an example where that phrase could have meant something different than is relevant to the situation which is being discussed in this thread? I can tell you it's a very well known phrase used by many rapists to calm down their victims/get them to be quiet. Very well known.

While I disagree with you about the guy not knowing, ignorance is never an excuse. Ever. It can be a reason for a first offence -- but not the second. What we are discussing is not new.

No assumptions being made. Dismissive attitudes and attempts to belittle those who point out this seemly accepted behaviour of gamer dialogue don't help. (Not saying you are doing so - more of an added comment on my part).

If curious, you can read this article and perhaps you will understand where I am coming from.

Well it seems like something a murderer would say. Which is common to hear in video game talk. Sort of like just accept your death, you got slaughtered etc. No one ever really gets bothered by that type of language and I know they're different crimes, but if we were to criticize gamer talk we'd have to criticize it from every angle.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#168  Edited By RazzaTazz

@deranged_midget: I think we are actually agreeing to agree, just we are not admitting the fact. I said that all kinds of people have their own lingo, only that they need to think about what they say to a public audience. You could make the case about it being an industry centric event but in the modern day is there such a thing? The fact that Romney said his 47% speech at a private event did not stop it from getting on the internet, and he regretted having done so.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Deranged Midget

@razzatazz: I can agree to disagree, my only point being that anything taken out of context can be utilized to a certain benefit. :)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: So you are saying this is people with an agenda making a big deal out of this?

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are being a bit too sensitive. It might have been a rape joke. It might have not. But guess what, at the end of the day it was still a joke and the dude wasn't looking to offend her in any way. I don't think that she's taking this as seriously as all of you in the forums are. In fact, I'm pretty sure she didn't give it a second thought and went right back to playing. It's not as if he took her and actually raped on stage. And honestly, I don't even think that he was thinking in a sexual manner when he said that.

And if you guys want to be technical(Cause I know someone is gonna end up responding to this) rape has more than one definition. It can be to plunder and despoil in war. To carry off by force. Or any type of violation or abuse in general. As in the "rape of justice." And honestly I find it horrible that some people are asking for an apology. They need to get up off their horse. If she was offended, she'll ask for the apology herself. And I'm pretty sure she didn't give any indication that she was. Give the dude a break.

And I guess I'll it this way. He didn't mention the word "rape." I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking of raping her when he said. They were playing a video game. He happened to be beating her(*Sorry I said beating, is that a reference to domestic violence*). So he said just sit down and take it. A child could "sit down and take" a beating from a parent when he does something bad. A kid can "sit down and take" verbal abuse from their father. That little kid across the street can "sit down and take" everything his bully has to give him. In this case, he just happened to be winning at a game he was proud of and told her to "sit down and take" the winning(See, I replaced it) that he was giving her.

It just surprises me that you all are sitting here and analyzing a joke, that probably wasn't even intentional on the guy's part. How about some real rape cases.

http://www.thenewagenda.net/2009/06/08/15-year-old-gang-raped-in-fl5-men-go-free/ (15 Year old raped by 5 men in Miami)

http://www.policymic.com/articles/30133/new-india-rape-case-rape-in-india-is-encouraged-by-poverty-and-gender-inequality (Women in India raped and killed)

http://www.kcra.com/news/more-charges-possible-in-families-first-rape-case/-/11797728/20544736/-/51p69p/-/index.html (11 Year old raped)

That seems like a better way of using time than this. Analyzing a joke. You guys are wasting time. There's so many other things you can do.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you are saying this is people with an agenda making a big deal out of this?

What? Where did that come from? I made the statement in regards to general consensus as anything can be taken out of context to prove a point.

So no, not an agenda. But in this case, people seem to be looking at the worst of possibilites and as I stated earlier, it's downright pessimistic which I see no reason for it to be.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: I don't know where it came from. I was confused about what you said I guess

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Pfcoolio14

@innervenom123:

Well that was three short paragraphs, with a couple of links.

And that wasn't the entirety of the point I was trying to put across. But hey, if you think I wasted my time, to each their own.

I'm surprised you ignored everything else I said.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#176  Edited By ColonelRunAway

I'm more interested in watching Microsoft get all this flak for an ad-lib by an Ubisoft employee.

It's like they don't even need to do anything wrong at this point, failure just arcs into the Xbox One like lightning.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised so many people care about this,

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By cameron83

No,it hasn't even begun.....

lol jk.This thread has basically reached its climax.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Who knew so many people talked about rape, right?

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: @innervenom123: I mean with all the terrible things that go on in the world. I know rape is an issue and people discuss it.

But when it comes this, it was an off color joke at a video game convention. Lets focus on the actual rape cases and not just what some guy said while playing a video game. Sure it was global but a lot of awful things get put on TV's around the world. Like Toddlers and Tiaras.

Something like that is far worse then any rape joke made while gaming in my opinion.

Or why aren't we talking about the news articles that were posted earlier on here as our main topic as opposed to this as our main point of focus?