• 177 results
#51 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like lame banter.

#52 Edited by cameron83 (7338 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I just ask:

Where was the rape joke?

I mean,if he said something like "just lie down and take it" I would completely see the point....but that's not the case.I didn't even see a joke....

I saw some guy with a video (I think he was joking,I couldn't even take him seriously) that said:

1. Microsoft is run by white male businessmen chauvinists.

2.They offended gays/transgenders and ethnic minorities.

3.They condone rape....

I couldn't even take him seriously.

1. Comments like these disgust me. Their race and gender has nothing to do with anything. These ignorant bigoted,biased comments are pathetic.

2. ......In what way did it offend transgender/gay or ethnic minorities? The accusation has nothing to do with any of those people.Does he even know what those words mean?!

As a minority (not that that really matters,especially since someone who isn't a minority can have the same viewpoint and agree) I didn't find what was said to be offensive.

3. Let's assume that he (intended,because regarding whether he did or didn't is ultimately speculation and what only matters is the truth.Mainly what he originally intended) to make a rape joke....how does that even come close to condoning rape?! All it really means is that rape JOKES are fine with him.

In fact,the guy from the video didn't even know what the guy actually said.....

But back on track.....If he did make a rape joke,then I would basically put it like this as to why I don't like them:

@shadowx said:

The problem with rape jokes(and yes this is one) it devalues what actually happens, its a joke on a serious topic that can actually effect people. Some rape victims are triggered severely by the mention of the word itself, or by certain phrases like " just sit there and take it". By joking about it, by making " rape" as a term to beating you in a video game, its equating beating somebody n a bidoe game to a personal violations of a persons body and mind That could leave permanent scars. Thats why rape jokes are wrong.. you are saying beating somebody in a game is like violating somebodies body, and it belittles the struggles of victims.

This is something that family guy does A LOT! It is one thing if that is your sense of humor,but it still belittles the situation from what it actually is.

But still,he just said "just let it happen,it'll be over soon". In no way did I see that as a rape joke or with rape even in mind.In fact,this says it nicely:

@bruxae said:

Maybe its because english isnt my first language but I felt like "just let it happen" could just aswell mean let me murder you/beat you up/just let me win, or many other things that is not rape.

I think that people were looking to find a rape joke or something,because I don't even think that that's what he intended. If it is,however,then that would be another story.Then it would be obtuse....

#53 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: People just have no sebse of humor anymore. If they get offended so easily, then they have no business watching the video in the first place.

#54 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

If you see a rape joke in that, you're looking for it. That was pretty harmless.

#55 Edited by cameron83 (7338 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@cameron83: People just have no sebse of humor anymore. If they get offended so easily, then they have no business watching the video in the first place.

and I guess it's because people have different senses of humor. But sometimes people are just LOOKING to get offended. And yeah I agree. It would make no sense for someone who doesn't like race jokes or whatever to watch South Park or Family Guy (that's me). At the same time,again,humor is subjective...

#56 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I think people just look for a reason to complain.

#57 Edited by cameron83 (7338 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@cameron83: I think people just look for a reason to complain.

Sometimes that is completely true and they think that:

1. It means that they can sit on the moral high-chair.

2. That the moral high-chair stance is always the right stance.

However,I don't really know if that's the case here.It's just the case sometimes for some people.

#58 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

So much ignorance on here.

"Just let it happen, it’ll be over soon."

That is the rape joke.

Claiming you don't see it makes you an apologist and even worse, a lemming. People are not LOOKING for a reason to cry foul -- for f*ck's sakes -- it was CLEAR AS DAY.

Learn a little and if you want to stick your head in the sand whenever something makes you uncomfortable or forces you to actually give a sh*t, then keep your limp excuses to yourself and leave it to the big boys and girls who aren't afraid to stand up and point out garbage like this. It's one thing to be a coward, but trying to redirect and throw sand in the eyes of those who see the Emperor nakedness makes you a bloody accomplice.

Grow up.

#59 Posted by ARMIV2 (8529 posts) - - Show Bio

As of late, almost everything Microsoft says sounds like a bad joke...

#60 Posted by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

People making comparisons to late-night comedians or primetime off-color humor television shows are obviously missing the fact that a globally-broadcast marketing and press event is neither of those things.

#61 Edited by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Microsoft's rape joke was how the Xbox One is gonna rape your wallet.

#62 Posted by No_Trolling (653 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: To be fair, that phrase could have suggested something other than rape. Different individuals could have taken that joke in a different way. I for one didn't think of it as a rape joke until it was mentioned. The guy probably didn't think of it as a rape joke either. It seems as if assumptions are making things worse then they are.

#63 Edited by slacker the hacker (7839 posts) - - Show Bio

It ain't like its the first bad thing to be said on global TV.

Rape joke or not.

He was playing a video game and said some crazy stuff. That's a crime every gamer is guilty of.

Some people on here are acting like this is something to be horrified about. But with all the other bad stuff that people say on a regular basis whether or not on television I honestly don't think anybody should be to shocked.

Rape isn't funny at all. But I'd be lying if I said that I never laughed at a joke involving rape. Perhaps we should be up in arms about the joke. But guess what? Things don't work like that no more. That might not be good but its is what it is.

#64 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

lol awkwarrrrrrd

#65 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@no_trolling said:

@lykopis: To be fair, that phrase could have suggested something other than rape. Different individuals could have taken that joke in a different way. I for one didn't think of it as a rape joke until it was mentioned. The guy probably didn't think of it as a rape joke either. It seems as if assumptions are making things worse then they are.

Give me an example where that phrase could have meant something different than is relevant to the situation which is being discussed in this thread? I can tell you it's a very well known phrase used by many rapists to calm down their victims/get them to be quiet. Very well known.

While I disagree with you about the guy not knowing, ignorance is never an excuse. Ever. It can be a reason for a first offence -- but not the second. What we are discussing is not new.

No assumptions being made. Dismissive attitudes and attempts to belittle those who point out this seemly accepted behaviour of gamer dialogue don't help. (Not saying you are doing so - more of an added comment on my part).

If curious, you can read this article and perhaps you will understand where I am coming from.

#66 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it's not a rape joke. It's just embarrassingly poor banter between developers and they tried to be funny.

#67 Posted by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

If curious, you can read this article and perhaps you will understand where I am coming from.

That's it.

People should not be permitted to comment on this thread anymore without reading that article. It addresses absolutely everything anyone has brought up here and it does it in an organized and concise way.

#68 Edited by slacker the hacker (7839 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@lykopis said:

That's it.

People should not be permitted to comment on this thread anymore without reading that article. It addresses absolutely everything anyone has brought up here and it does it in an organized and concise way.

You do know some people aren't gonna read it and still comment.

I don't think there is anyway to make sure someone reads it.

Though people should read it.

#69 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread lasted a lot longer than I gave it credit for.

Good job, thread.

Good job.

#70 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, It is a rape joke.

No, it wasn't (said with) malicious (intent).

Yes, the guy who said it was dumb.

Yes, it is f*cked up that "rape joke" even exists as a term.

Yes, society is to blame because no one in the entertainment industry is held accountable for anything and people are stupid.

#71 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

If anyone got offended with the comment, don't watch "This is the End." It's basically a ongoing joke about rape.

#72 Posted by cameron83 (7338 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, It is a rape joke.

Yes, society is to blame because no one in the entertainment industry is held accountable for anything and people are stupid.

are there even jokes about rape? Who the f*** would honestly make a joke about that (besides family guy,which also makes jokes about Domestic Violence)

lol because domestic violence and the physical (and even worse) mental torture is somehow funny. I'm not even saying this because my mom used to be domestically abused and it caused me to become reclusive and gave me nightmares,but in no aspect are they funny.Even the thought of someone thinking that someone is inferior to them (even because of gender) is just sickening.

Regarding the entertainment industry thing,I think that's mainly because people often aim gaming towards men (as if women don't play games,which is totally inaccurate)....but to be honest,It's mainly that these obtuse terms aren't really taken seriously,which is the point that @shadowx made and why we can't really use terms like these so...loosely. I am not really sure if gender means anything or not. Because,contrary to common belief by many people,men do get raped by women as well.And often times they don't want to press charges because of the stereotype (and the ignorant,biased image that women are weaker than men).

#73 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (24903 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: After reading that link you provided, I concur what your statement, it was a rape joke. I really do not see whay people use such languge to describe such things,it was a good move by the mods for banning that word on the forums for a joking matter (beleive me the character A rapes character B was getting thrown around a whole lot on the battle forum and it was seemingly thrown more towards females characters then males)

#74 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, like I said. I don't think it was made of malicious intent.

If anything, it was just so damn weird like I said before. That guy's creeper voice, "Yeah, you lay down and take it.". Uh...
Hell, it made me cringe. Weird little bastard.

#75 Posted by pooty (11171 posts) - - Show Bio

That term means exactly what he said "the lady was sitting and it would be over soon". My parents told me the same thing when I was a kid at the dentist or at the doctors getting a shot. Context means everything.

#76 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Regarding the entertainment industry thing,I think that's mainly because people often aim gaming towards men (as if women don't play games,which is totally inaccurate)....but to be honest,It's mainly that these obtuse terms aren't really taken seriously,which is the point that @shadowx made and why we can't really use terms like these so...loosely. I am not really sure if gender means anything or not. Because,contrary to common belief by many people,men do get raped by women as well.And often times they don't want to press charges because of the stereotype (and the ignorant,biased image that women are weaker than men).

So much this! The number of men who are raped and physically abused by women is so high. Rape jokes are not gender specific -- many men have been raped. Bad enough most rapes aren't reported by women for the stigma, can you imagine the stigma placed on men?

:(

@lykopis: After reading that link you provided, I concur what your statement, it was a rape joke. I really do not see whay people use such languge to describe such things,it was a good move by the mods for banning that word on the forums for a joking matter (beleive me the character A rapes character B was getting thrown around a whole lot on the battle forum and it was seemingly thrown more towards females characters then males)

Not allowing the word rape to be used in the battle forums was such a battle -- there was a higher use of it when a female opponent was used -- it boggles the mind that it even had to be argued. There are still people on here who don't agree with the banning of word to describe winning in the battle forums.

Yes, It is a rape joke.

Exactly.

#77 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Inappropriate offensive perhaps revealing banter...

#78 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (24903 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Sad part about it is people still make rape jokes, in fact I flagged 2 post recently involving Sailor Moon. One being, "Silver Surfer would rape her before she can react" the other being "Anti-Monitor would make her his sex slave" comments like this just sickens me. And I'm not even going to mention all of the "pedophile jokes" that have been thrown around as of late, I love this sit I really do but things like this are the bane of Comicvine.

#79 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#80 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Sad part about it is people still make rape jokes, in fact I flagged 2 post recently involving Sailor Moon. One being, "Silver Surfer would rape her before she can react" the other being "Anti-Monitor would make her his sex slave" comments like this just sickens me. And I'm not even going to mention all of the "pedophile jokes" that have been thrown around as of late, I love this sit I really do but things like this are the bane of Comicvine.

That's silly. The Anti Monitor doesn't even care about sex nor have the parts to do it.

#81 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (24903 posts) - - Show Bio
#82 Posted by pooty (11171 posts) - - Show Bio

8 out of 10x i say "suck my d!ck" I am not being sexual at all.

#83 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (24903 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey: Exactly people just want to use offensive and inappropiate terms.

@pooty: I don't even know what that is supposed to mean but why does rape jokes like the ones I pointed out only gets directed towards females?

#84 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011:
He meant "Eight out of ten times I say "Suck my ****" I am not being sexual at all.".

It doesn't make much sense. No offense @pooty, but I don't know how you can take that without being sexual.

#85 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

I never understood why someone who get's offended will waste their time and energy to let everyone else know. That type of stress will take a toll on you.

#86 Posted by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011:

He meant "Eight out of ten times I say "Suck my ****" I am not being sexual at all.".

It doesn't make much sense. No offense

@pooty

, but I don't know how you can take that without being sexual.

I can see it. It's another way of saying F'k you or go to hell. Most people who say F'k you don't actually mean they want you F'k you and I'm sure at one point everyone would have said the same about not being able to see that as not being sexual.

As much as people need to understand what they say might mean something else to others those others should also realize what they hear might mean something else to the people saying it.

#87 Edited by pooty (11171 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: read below. and check out this link for other meanings of suck my d!ck

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/suck-%28one%27s%29-dick

@dccomicsrule2011: I don't even know what that is supposed to mean

Suck my d!ck does not just mean a sexual act anymore. It is a confrontational and demeaning term also. And it's not recent. Eazy E was saying "all of ya'll can just suck my d!ck, you can quote me now cuz i'm still talking sh!t" decades ago. point is many phrases have multiple meanings and the context means more then the words.

but why does rape jokes like the ones I pointed out only gets directed towards females

Not true. on these same forums I have heard Thanos rapes Silver Surfer or Martian Manhunter mind rapes superman. For awhile Midnighter was raping every male character in comics.

#88 Posted by pooty (11171 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@sideburnguru said:

@dccomicsrule2011:

It doesn't make much sense. No offense

@pooty

, but I don't know how you can take that without being sexual.

I can see it. It's another way of saying F'k you or go to hell. Most people who say F'k you don't actually mean they want you F'k you and I'm sure at one point everyone would have said the same about not being able to see that as not being sexual.

As much as people need to understand what they say might mean something else to others those others should also realize what they hear might mean something else to the people saying it.

Preach on Bro. Preach on

#89 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman "F'k you" and "Go to hell" do have different meanings though, and have for awhile. It's not like you're saying "I will f*k you". However, in the case of "Suck my ****" that usually is pretty straight foward of what it SHOULD mean. @pooty

Yeah, I don't really follow the whole "IT'S TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE NOW". Calling some massive bull on that one. I've only [Again, no offense, just around where I lived.] seen total trash use that phrase. It only comes up as gross and immature when people like them say it. I mean no disrespect to Eazy-E, guy is a rap legend. But I don't think he'd be a good example for trying to state how a word or phrase can be considered acceptable.

And yeah, doesn't matter what you say it as. Rape joke is a rape joke. I personally don't mind them as much as others, but the context is still there.

#90 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (24903 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: I'm on my android phone right now so I can't really break you post down like I love to do so I will just number my points.....

1. I already know what SMD means,the reason I said "what that is sopposed to mean was because it felt so random.

2. I already know people use the word rape to desrcibe males in the battle forum, but I don't ever recall me seeing people say "SS turns Superman to his sex slave" or character A has sex with character B before she can even react or Character A kills character B and has sex with her dead corps....I have seen all of the above describing men beating a woman though. The word rape should be baned from a joking matter in general in the battle forums no matter the gender my point is it is directed towards female characters more then males.

#91 Edited by pooty (11171 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: Yeah, I don't really follow the whole "IT'S TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE NOW

You don't have to follow it. many others still do

It only comes up as gross and immature when people like them say it.

Your feelings of people who use the term don't matter . You admitted you have heard it used in a non sexual way and that is all that matters.

I don't think he'd be a good example for trying to state how a word or phrase can be considered acceptable

Eazy E and others like him influenced a whole culture. Other entertainers started saying it. and that influenced the people who listen to it which numbers in the millions. Just like Michael jackson with "Bad" bad can mean evil or a hot person or cool. Words and phrases have different meanings. You never heard a person say "You're retarded"when they did something dumb or silly? same thing applies here. context means more then words

Rape joke is a rape joke

Didn't hear the word rape once in that video. Nor did he say anything that would support he was being sexual with her.

#92 Edited by slacker the hacker (7839 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83:

Who would joke about something like that? Not just Family Guy.

South Park did it to.

Though does this count as funny or wrong?

I'm having trouble figuring out what's funny anymore.

I mean I laughed at the South Park rape jokes. I couldn't help it. But I don't find rape funny at all, its disgusting.

So what's the deal?

Rape jokes either are funny or they are horrifying or both. This is all to confusing!

#93 Posted by pooty (11171 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: . I already know what SMD means,the reason I said "what that is supposed to mean was because it felt so random.

SMD can have other meaning just like Sit down and take it" can have different meanings

The word rape should be baned from a joking matter in general in the battle forums no matter the gender my point is it is directed towards femal characters more then males

I disagree that rape should be banned. But it is So i will follow the rules. But first it started off with "you can't say rape"now it's you shouldn't say anything that could even be construed as rape. The noose on freedom of speech is getting tighter. Wait... can I say that or will a person get offended because I said the word noose? Everything is offensive to somebody. that is the problem i have.

#94 Posted by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman

"F'k you" and "Go to hell" do have different meanings though, and have for awhile. It's not like you're saying "I will f*k you". However, in the case of "Suck my ****" that usually is pretty straight foward of what it SHOULD mean.

Should there is no should. People determine what it should mean . Language evolves through use, intent and expression. There are a lot of words that once meant something and later on also meant something else. It's one of the reasons there are multiple definitions in the dictionary for one word. Many people say Suck my ......... and meant that as go to hell or f'k you so that's what it means and thats the closest to a should you will get. Heck just the fact you think F'ck you can means something other than I will f'k you goes to show you that.

#95 Edited by consolemaster001 (5598 posts) - - Show Bio

Saying that this is a "rape joke" is like saying if i beat a black guy in a video game and i say : "lol i totally owned you" it implies slavery.

#96 Posted by RazzaTazz (9641 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it's not a rape joke. It's just embarrassingly poor banter between developers and they tried to be funny.

I am not so sure about this, but I do think that the "joke" came out as a sort of default thing that I guy would say that doesn't talk to many women and watches too much of juvenile animated cartoons. I would advocate that the guy get some more time away from his various screens.

#97 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not so sure about this, but I do think that the "joke" came out as a sort of default thing that I guy would say that doesn't talk to many women and watches too much of juvenile animated cartoons. I would advocate that the guy get some more time away from his various screens.

I can't say I'll agree with your statement Razz but you do have a relatively appropriate point. On one, if you ever watch an E3 or developer demo this type of banter is very common, obviously not said exactly in the manner that was portrayed, but poor or forced jokes are always made.

Unfortunately in this case, it was misconstrued because it was directed at a woman. Looking at it from another perspective, if it was a a man instead of the woman on stage, no one would've taken another second to assume what was meant. It's simply how some "gamers" talk to each other. I would be lying if I told you that I didn't jokingly say something similar to friends of mine while playing games.

#98 Posted by RazzaTazz (9641 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: I get what you mean, but even if it was said to a man, it would still be a rape joke just not as inappropriate. My point though, is that I don't even think he meant it as a rape joke or to be malicious, more just like a nerd joke.

#99 Posted by laflux (15979 posts) - - Show Bio

Would someone Explain to me where the so called " RAPE JOKE" was? seriously?

there was like one sentence of " i don't like this" and that was pretty much it.

InnerVenom123...U CRAZY!

He feeds of our hate, and it makes him stronger..........

#100 Edited by RisingBean (3992 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't even notice this when I first watched it. I suppose when looking for it you could take it like that. I see it as his domination of her in the video game. Not that he is taking anything from her that will scar her.

Thin skin in my opinion. And that leads to political correctness, and sooner or later we won't be able to talk in public because somebody will infer our conversation means something totally unrelated to what it is.

Also. I dislike Killer Instinct because I get smashed the same way. (By smashed, I mean beat up, not drunk. No need to come after me, prohibitionists.)

Edit begins here.

I read Lykopis' article and mused a bit.

Would this have been a problem if both had been men? And what was the intent?

I don't condone rape. I don't find it funny. And I wasn't looking for it in that interaction. I missed it. Now could it be a rape joke? Sure. I suppose it could be him trying to slip it in. Get past the censors, and all that. But maybe I look at things without seeking out context.

At any rate I am going to simply say a quote often attributed to Voltaire.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

If he did make a rape joke, I think he was in bad taste. But good bad or ugly he has the right to do so.