Microsoft's Rape Joke?

• 178 results
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Malicious rape joke, or misunderstanding?

Tell me, Comicvine.

Tell me.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 mr_ingenuity  Moderator
xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like a rape innuendo to me.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I personally found it extremely offensive, but she didn't seem to take offense, so I suppose it's not as bad as I think?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

O_______o

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lilben42

Just a joke but everybody has a dirty mind so yeah. At least i think so.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anything of it. It's a common phrase to tell someone who is getting whooped in any game.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't that bad

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Strider1992

I have a pretty sick mind/sense of humor and I honestly do not see the rape joke here lol. There were a few suggestive comments but nothing inferring rape............Either i'm desensitized or people are being over-sensitive.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

I have a pretty sick mind and I honestly do not see the rape joke here lol. There were a few suggestive comments but nothing inferring rape............Either i'm desensitized or people are being over-sensitive.

This.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Samimista

@strider92 said:

I have a pretty sick mind and I honestly do not see the rape joke here lol. There were a few suggestive comments but nothing inferring rape............Either i'm desensitized or people are being over-sensitive.

This.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nerdork

Eh, that is the kind of stuff you say to someone while playing a videogame.

Boy, girl...doesnt matter....if i am destroying you via videogame...i am therefore (figuratively) raping you.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

People shouldnt have to be PC while playing video games.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's... Not offensive in any way, shape, or form.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Innuendo, but not a direct rape joke.

amutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Rape jokes are the new Knock Knock.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playful humor. If anyone gets offended by this, then they probably get offended by everything.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShadowX

The problem with rape jokes(and yes this is one) it devalues what actually happens, its a joke on a serious topic that can actually effect people. Some rape victims are triggered severely by the mention of the word itself, or by certain phrases like " just sit there and take it". By joking about it, by making " rape" as a term to beating you in a video game, its equating beating somebody n a bidoe game to a personal violations of a persons body and mind That could leave permanent scars. Thats why rape jokes are wrong.. you are saying beating somebody in a game is like violating somebodies body, and it belittles the struggles of victims.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Wha?....hold on im gonna look up the definition of "joke" on Wikipedia.......

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No, it's more like accept your losing.

Now for the using of the word Rape in this venue,it is totally not needed. There is a dictionary full of words that better describe wining in a video game. But what do you want from a bunch of fourteen year olds and people who have zero empathy.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@shadowx said:

The problem with rape jokes(and yes this is one) it devalues what actually happens, its a joke on a serious topic that can actually effect people. Some rape victims are triggered severely by the mention of the word itself, or by certain phrases like " just sit there and take it". By joking about it, by making " rape" as a term to beating you in a video game, its equating beating somebody n a bidoe game to a personal violations of a persons body and mind That could leave permanent scars. Thats why rape are wrong.. you are saying beating somebod in a game is like violating somebodies body, and it belittles the struggles of victims.

Absolutely.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@strider92 said:

This.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@samimista said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@strider92 said:

This.

I also agree. Though, I will admit, VERY, VERY little offends me, rape jokes, race jokes, whatever, if it's funny I'll laugh, if it's not, I won't, but I get kinda annoyed at how PC some people get. Louis C.K is my favorite comedian for the simple fact that he won't hold back on his comedy, he will often be extremely offensive, but still gets the laughs.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@shadowx said:

The problem with rape jokes(and yes this is one) it devalues what actually happens, its a joke on a serious topic that can actually effect people. Some rape victims are triggered severely by the mention of the word itself, or by certain phrases like " just sit there and take it". By joking about it, by making " rape" as a term to beating you in a video game, its equating beating somebody n a bidoe game to a personal violations of a persons body and mind That could leave permanent scars. Thats why rape jokes are wrong.. you are saying beating somebody in a game is like violating somebodies body, and it belittles the struggles of victims.

would it be equally, if not more offensive to say that you were "killing someone" in a video game?

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@shadowx: also, I guess it's relevant to say that the word "rape" can be used (and was used before the forced unconsented carnal knowledge definition) to describe plundering or simply stealing

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betatesthighlander1: Its however not really used in that context anymore or at least as much. Thats like telling somebody its okay to use F***** because it can mean a cigarette.

As for the killing thing. Debately yes it could be but more often then not victims of murders are rarely alive, and it doeant have nearly the triggering effect to as it does to rape victims who are still alive.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@shadowx said:

The problem with rape jokes(and yes this is one) it devalues what actually happens, its a joke on a serious topic that can actually effect people. Some rape victims are triggered severely by the mention of the word itself, or by certain phrases like " just sit there and take it". By joking about it, by making " rape" as a term to beating you in a video game, its equating beating somebody n a bidoe game to a personal violations of a persons body and mind That could leave permanent scars. Thats why rape are wrong.. you are saying beating somebod in a game is like violating somebodies body, and it belittles the struggles of victims.

Absolutely.

This

-----------------

Not for anything, but "Just let it happen, it'll be over soon" comment just lends itself to the whole culture of relegating the idea of "winning" and "victory" with rape. As in sexually. Online gaming, especially with female gamers are loaded with excess amounts of blatant misogynistic commentary however I woudn't want to make this exclusively female. Any gamer - male or female - who throw out the idea of rape as another way of describing a "win" perpetuates the idea rape is declaration of "owning" someone. It's not.

In this instance I would consider it poor taste and considering the celebrities involved, irresponsible. I wouldn't crack the whip over their heads and denounce them for rape enthusiasts but a little information, a little less ignorance would go a long way.

Not malicious, but thoughtless. Don't need to make a huge deal about it, but acknowledging it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Like @fuchsia_nightingale mentioned, there are so many other words a person could use.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@lykopis: A great deal of my friends that are males are also avid fighting game fans. I have never once heard them use the term rape.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Personally, i get uncomfortable when someone uses the term and would never use it myself. I understand why (some) people might get offended over it.

When i see people use the term I view them as ignorant. May be to extreme or judgemental but that's how i feel.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it just sounds like standard competitive gamer talk to me.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: A great deal of my friends that are males are also avid fighting game fans. I have never once heard them use the term rape.

Yep -- mine too. Kind of shocked me to learn of people who do, to be honest.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#33  Edited By Extremis

@shadowx: I was thinking it and you said it. And I couldn't have any better myself. Cheers.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

I make jokes like that all the time so I don't consder this as a rape joke.It was more of a sick joke but it was fun at least.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I guess I can kinda see the subtext...but honestly if it wasn't mentioned, the whole thing wouldn't have crossed my mind....

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@theacidskull: "Just let it happen. It'll be over soon." is the supposed rape joke that people were freaking out about, that prompted me to make this thread to see what CV thought.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#38  Edited By akbogert

@lykopis said:

@mercy_ said:

@shadowx said:

Absolutely.

This

-----------------

Not for anything, but "Just let it happen, it'll be over soon" comment just lends itself to the whole culture of relegating the idea of "winning" and "victory" with rape. As in sexually. Online gaming, especially with female gamers are loaded with excess amounts of blatant misogynistic commentary however I woudn't want to make this exclusively female. Any gamer - male or female - who throw out the idea of rape as another way of describing a "win" perpetuates the idea rape is declaration of "owning" someone. It's not.

In this instance I would consider it poor taste and considering the celebrities involved, irresponsible. I wouldn't crack the whip over their heads and denounce them for rape enthusiasts but a little information, a little less ignorance would go a long way.

Not malicious, but thoughtless. Don't need to make a huge deal about it, but acknowledging it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Like @fuchsia_nightingale mentioned, there are so many other words a person could use.

Pretty much all of this.

I was only half paying attention to this particular segment because I don't care for fighting games, but my head shot straight up when I heard the guy, destroying his female opponent in what was clearly a scripted defeat (which in and of itself is bothersome because no one who works for and represents the company and game would be as incompetent as she was meant to be in that demo), telling her words I have seen countless times said to rape victims about just accepting it and how it'll be over soon. This is pure rape culture humor. There's not even a debate. The fact that raping has become so commonly used that people don't even think twice about whether it should offend them to hear it used that way does not, in fact, undermine how problematic that usage is. If we were a culture that was sensitive to the real problem of rape and how it affects people (and particularly to the misogyny inherent in the industry and the fact that most rape historically has been committed against females), then we would not have greenlit a joke like this in the first place, let alone laughed at it.

I do want to be clear, that it's neither malicious rape joke nor "just a misunderstanding." It's an insidious rape joke -- indirectly permitting rape to be taken lightly, and therefore a misunderstanding that needs to be called out and condemned so as to inform future joke-writers to be more careful about the things they laugh about. I actually know Ashton, the woman who was in that demo (not well, but we've talked before). And she has, since this demo, acknowledged that she was not personally offended at all, and such, and since I do know her I know she's not just saying that because someone told her to play it down. But just because a person does not get offended by something does not mean it isn't offensive.

And for a company that is trying to boast of bringing the future to its consumers -- consumers of all backgrounds -- humor like this definitely was a mistake.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really offensive. Thought the dude was going to I'm raping you or something like that.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Maybe its because english isnt my first language but I felt like "just let it happen" could just aswell mean let me murder you/beat you up/just let me win, or many other things that is not rape.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

Maybe its because english isnt my first language but I felt like "just let it happen" could just aswell mean let me murder you/beat you up/just let me win, or many other things that is not rape.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#44  Edited By Nerx

Xboned

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linsanel_doctor said:

@samimista said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@strider92 said:

This.

I also agree. Though, I will admit, VERY, VERY little offends me, rape jokes, race jokes, whatever, if it's funny I'll laugh, if it's not, I won't, but I get kinda annoyed at how PC some people get. Louis C.K is my favorite comedian for the simple fact that he won't hold back on his comedy, he will often be extremely offensive, but still gets the laughs.

I concur with this, steg.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#46  Edited By Xanni15

It depends, do you dislike Microsoft?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RustyRoy

@veshark said:

I guess I can kinda see the subtext...but honestly if it wasn't mentioned, the whole thing wouldn't have crossed my mind....

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Daniel Tosh as well. If people get offended so easily they had better not go see this guy.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought of it immediatly. I don't know if it was intended, and I don't feel as thought it was.

Doesn't help the guy saying it sounded like a total weirdo.

"Yeahhh, you sit there and take it." Yeah, that didn't help with how he said it. But no, I don't think it was intended to be a rape joke. The guy talked like someone who really just needs punched in the mouth though. Just for sounding like he does.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@innervenom123 said:

@theacidskull: "Just let it happen. It'll be over soon." is the supposed rape joke that people were freaking out about, that prompted me to make this thread to see what CV thought.

Yeah but it was obviously NOT meant to be the rape joke, just a simply " you are gonna loose" statement.

Right. That's the thing, is that in gaming communities "i'm raping the other team" is frequently said in lieu of "i'm beating the other team." Losing = getting raped. They're practically interchangeable, so that when you discuss beating or "owning" the other team it has become acceptable to use rape or sexual domination terms.

The fact remains that the exact same words are often said to people who are being raped, and with the same mocking/overpowering tone. Like I and several others said, the joke itself was at the very least not properly thought out because plenty of people who heard it immediately saw it as a rape joke, and when something can easily be construed as such it would be better to try to avoid it.