Rings are the only things that matter

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Static Shock

I agree with Jordan. No other player comes close.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Jordan doesn't even need to say this. Kobe was the is the closest thing we've ever seen to him.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

@Vance Astro said:

Jordan doesn't even need to say this. Kobe was the is the closest thing we've ever seen to him.

Indeed. I think it's funny that some LeBron fans find this offensive and I've heard people say that this is Jordan saying he's afraid of LeBron, which is ridiculous. Not that I don't think LeBron will prove his own legacy one day but that is something that has to be proved.

People used to say Vince Carter would be the next Michael Jordan. Look how that turned out.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Uncanny_Doom said:

@Vance Astro said:

Indeed. I think it's funny that some LeBron fans find this offensive and I've heard people say that this is Jordan saying he's afraid of LeBron, which is ridiculous. Not that I don't think LeBron will prove his own legacy one day but that is something that has to be proved.

People used to say Vince Carter would be the next Michael Jordan. Look how that turned out.

If Vince wasn't injury prone and we could have seen him at his best the entire time he was in the NBA..Kobe would still be better than him.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

Yup.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Static Shock

I remember when Scottie Pippen said that Lebron James was better than Michael Jordan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By daredevil21134

@Vance Astro said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

@Vance Astro said:

If Vince wasn't injury prone and we could have seen him at his best the entire time he was in the NBA..Kobe would still be better than him.

Agreed

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Static Shock said:

I remember when Scottie Pippen said that Lebron James was better than Michael Jordan.

I remember when Scottie Pippen wasn't retarded...
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@Vance Astro said:

You sure?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ReVamp said:

@Vance Astro said:

You sure?

Yea it was about '91.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Dreadmaster

Even though i hate Kobe's guts there really hasn't been anyone that's come close as he has to Jordan. LeBron though i honestly don't think he's a scorer like Kobe and Jordan are even though everyone wants him to be that, he deserves more comparisons to Magic. BTW Magic will still be the best player to ever play for the Lakers in my opinion.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By ReVamp

@Vance Astro said:

@ReVamp said:

@Vance Astro said:

You sure?

Yea it was about '91.

I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

Even though i hate Kobe's guts there really hasn't been anyone that's come close as he has to Jordan. LeBron though i honestly don't think he's a scorer like Kobe and Jordan are even though everyone wants him to be that, he deserves more comparisons to Magic. BTW Magic will still be the best player to ever play for the Lakers in my opinion.

Why do you hate his guts?
daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By daredevil21134

I hate the Lakers but I respect the hell outta Kobe

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

@dreadmaster said:

Why do you hate his guts?

I guess because of the slight arrogance and winners mentality(by winners i mean selfish ball play and his knack for "chucking" sometimes) and the acclaim he gets so much from it. I respect that he works hard and that's probably one of the few things i like about him, but i think people over-rate his abilities alot when he's making shots and everyone is playing smooth, but when they're not playing well its either Gasol is slacking or Fisher is old or Bynum has a bum leg (not saying they aren't true or not) and he sometimes gets a pass because he's Kobe. He couldn't get past the first round for three years(even though he had very little to work with). I'd say my dislike for him stems around how people tend to over-rate him. His game is the most similar to Jordan as i've seen it though.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

I guess because of the slight arrogance and winners mentality(by winners i mean selfish ball play and his knack for "chucking" sometimes) and the acclaim he gets so much from it. I respect that he works hard and that's probably one of the few things i like about him, but i think people over-rate his abilities alot when he's making shots and everyone is playing smooth, but when they're not playing well its either Gasol is slacking or Fisher is old or Bynum has a bum leg (not saying they aren't true or not) and he sometimes gets a pass because he's Kobe. He couldn't get past the first round for three years(even though he had very little to work with). I'd say my dislike for him stems around how people tend to over-rate him. His game is the most similar to Jordan as i've seen it though.

The man dropped 81 points in a single game and took a garbage Lakers team to the playoffs in the Western Conference.I think he deserves the acclaim he gets.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro: That's well catalogue'd in my brain. Also it was against the Raptors. Other crap teams make it to the playoffs every now and then.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dreadmaster

Although i could be speaking bias-ly.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

@Vance Astro: That's well catalogue'd in my brain. Also it was against the Raptors. Other crap teams make it to the playoffs every now and then.

Crap teams don't make the playoffs in the West.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

@dreadmaster said:

Crap teams don't make the playoffs in the West.

2007 GSW (Don't let beating a one seed fool you they weren't that good to begin with.)

2005 MEM (just okay so i'll give you that)

It's kind ironic, cuz Kobe tried forcing his way out of LA in 08.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

2007 GSW (Don't let beating a one seed fool you they weren't that good to begin with.)

They beat the #1 seed in the playoffs but they weren't good? Doesn't make sense to me.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

@dreadmaster said:

They beat the #1 seed in the playoffs but they weren't good? Doesn't make sense to me.

I watched the Mavs all season that year and trust me, they were a matchup nightmare for them.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By King_Saturn
Kobe Bryant is the only person close to Michael Jordan... so Jordan is only thinking what is obvious. Lebron showed us what he was made of last year... dude is softer than feathers when it comes to serious crunch time. Dwyane Wade is an Honorable Mention as for being a Top 5 Shooting Guard of All Time... hopefully Flash can get healthy again. Don't know what to think of Durant just yet since it's still really young in his Career. 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

I watched the Mavs all season that year and trust me, they were a matchup nightmare for them.

Because GSW was a good team.Also when Kobe dropped 81 on the Raptors...that season that team was ranked way higher than the Lakers and he dropped 62 against the Mavs.Don't know why people were acting like he did this against the worst team in the league.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

Because GSW was a good team.Also when Kobe dropped 81 on the Raptors...that season that team was ranked way higher than the Lakers and he dropped 62 against the Mavs.Don't know why people were acting like he did this against the worst team in the league.

The Raptors weren't exactly anything to shake a stick at. The Warriors also were one loss from not making the playoffs. Don't have anything to say about 62 against the Mavs cuz i barely recall that one. His scoring is just an effect of him taking alot of shots so i'm not really surprised at that, as you know it also doesn't equate to winning all the time.

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dex_Starr

I can't stand Kobe, I respect his ability but he's such an elitist A hole that it's hard to respect him for anything else.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

@Vance Astro said:

Because GSW was a good team.Also when Kobe dropped 81 on the Raptors...that season that team was ranked way higher than the Lakers and he dropped 62 against the Mavs.Don't know why people were acting like he did this against the worst team in the league.

The Raptors weren't exactly anything to shake a stick at. The Warriors also were one loss from not making the playoffs. Don't have anything to say about 62 against the Mavs cuz i barely recall that one. His scoring is just an effect of him taking alot of shots so i'm not really surprised at that, as you know it also doesn't equate to winning all the time.

Right, they weren't anything to shake a stick at with the 4th best record in the NBA.The Warriors were only one loss away from not making the playoffs because they were in the Western Conference.If they had been in the East they would have been 6th seed instead of 8th.His scoring is an effect of him being a great scorer.His shooting percentage has never been 50% but once he gets his rhythm going he's virtually unstoppable.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

@dreadmaster said:

@Vance Astro said:

Right, they weren't anything to shake a stick at with the 4th best record in the NBA.The Warriors were only one loss away from not making the playoffs because they were in the Western Conference.If they had been in the East they would have been 6th seed instead of 8th.His scoring is an effect of him being a great scorer.His shooting percentage has never been 50% but once he gets his rhythm going he's virtually unstoppable.

Are we talking about the Raptors who were terrible at defense and okay on offense or some other team? I don't remember the Raptors ever being that close to having that good a record with the Suns, Spurs, Pistons and Mavs. That's my point though he's a great scorer but not remotely consistent at the level of Jordan or Wilt, and even Kareem were. His best scoring years were when he was at his prime and NEEDED to take a insane amount of shots. He is honestly just a Tmac with rings for me. A great scorer and fun to watch but not that efficient and can't get past the first round. Everybody DOES need help to win but even with that help he is selfish. Shaq left LA because Kobe was a ballhog and shot them out of the Finals in 04. When he had Pau Gasol he still averaged 8 to 10 more shots than Pau did and was in the top five of FGA every year. Even Pau has been unhappy that Kobe takes too many shots. The dude takes alot of shots and scores alot. WHen you talk about PER and efficiency he is quite lower than most people realize.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

Are we talking about the Raptors who were terrible at defense and okay on offense or some other team? I don't remember the Raptors ever being that close to having that good a record with the Suns, Spurs, Pistons and Mavs. That's my point though he's a great scorer but not remotely consistent at the level of Jordan or Wilt, and even Kareem were. His best scoring years were when he was at his prime and NEEDED to take a insane amount of shots. He is honestly just a Tmac with rings for me. A great scorer and fun to watch but not that efficient and can't get past the first round. Everybody DOES need help to win but even with that help he is selfish. Shaq left LA because Kobe was a ballhog and shot them out of the Finals in 04. When he had Pau Gasol he still averaged 8 to 10 more shots than Pau did and was in the top five of FGA every year. Even Pau has been unhappy that Kobe takes too many shots. The dude takes alot of shots and scores alot. WHen you talk about PER and efficiency he is quite lower than most people realize.

The Raptors were high ranked in the Eastern Conference that season.You can say what you want about that team but they weren't terrible.This wasn't the worst team in the league that he dropped 81 on.He may not be as consistent as Jordan,Wilt or Kareem but you have to consider that type of shots they are taking.Wilt and Kareem aren't shooters.They get their work done in the paint.It's not like they are out there shooting 3's..Wilt couldn't barely make a free throw.Also what are you talking about "can't get passed the first round?" Kobe has 5 rings.The only time he couldn't win is when he had a TERRIBLE team.Half the people that started on that team accept for Kwame Brown (whom is only starting by default) don't start anywhere else.Shaq didn't leave LA because Kobe was a ballhog..he left LA because of something that had nothing to do with basketball.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

The Raptors were high ranked in the Eastern Conference that season.You can say what you want about that team but they weren't terrible.This wasn't the worst team in the league that he dropped 81 on.He may not be as consistent as Jordan,Wilt or Kareem but you have to consider that type of shots they are taking.Wilt and Kareem aren't shooters.They get their work done in the paint.It's not like they are out there shooting 3's..Wilt couldn't barely make a free throw.Also what are you talking about "can't get passed the first round?" Kobe has 5 rings.The only time he couldn't win is when he had a TERRIBLE team.Half the people that started on that team accept for Kwame Brown (whom is only starting by default) don't start anywhere else.Shaq didn't leave LA because Kobe was a ballhog..he left LA because of something that had nothing to do with basketball.

We'll just leave that subject then. Bad anology then; how about Bird, Ray Allen, Dirk and even Carmelo. Those guys were(are) great shooters and pick their spots at least carefully. I meant without at least another all-star on their team. Yao was considered an All-Star but didn't impose himself as much as he should have been able to. Kobe honestly won one ring being the main guy, Shaq helped immensely win the first three. The fourth was by Kobe's doing, the fifth Gasol and Fish bailed him out the last couple of games against the Celtics. Enlighten me on why he left then. Money?

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wise Son

I didn't think this was up for debate.

utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By utotheg38

lebron>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe XD

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

We'll just leave that subject then. Bad anology then; how about Bird, Ray Allen, Dirk and even Carmelo. Those guys were(are) great shooters and pick their spots at least carefully. I meant without at least another all-star on their team. Yao was considered an All-Star but didn't impose himself as much as he should have been able to. Kobe honestly won one ring being the main guy, Shaq helped immensely win the first three. The fourth was by Kobe's doing, the fifth Gasol and Fish bailed him out the last couple of games against the Celtics. Enlighten me on why he left then. Money?

Larry Bird has one of the highest FG% in NBA history just behind MJ.In regards to those other players their shooting percentages aren't that much higher than Kobe's.Ray Allen's probably is but he doesn't score as much as Kobe,Dirk,& Melo.I never said that Kobe ever won a ring by himself but neither did MJ or Magic or Bird.In fact MJ,Bird and Magic's teams where FAR better than the last 3 Lakers teams Kobe won rings with.Shaq left the Lakers from what I remember over a personal beef he had with Kobe over his sexual assualt case.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro: Those guys were used to show Kobe is not that superior to some other great shooters/scorers even still around. I didn't try to imply he won a ring by himself but as the main guy, there's a difference. Won't dispute much about that other than Magic having to pull much of the load in 88 when Kareem was declining. Oh i figured it had 'something' to do with Kobe, just wasn't entirely sure. There have even been slightly negative things Jackson had to say about Kobe but i won't delve much on that.

wario1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wario1988

@utotheg38 said:

lebron>>>>>>>>>>>Kobe XD

Ya we know....

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Static Shock

@Vance Astro said:

LOL.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

@Vance Astro: Those guys were used to show Kobe is not that superior to some other great shooters/scorers even still around. I didn't try to imply he won a ring by himself but as the main guy, there's a difference. Won't dispute much about that other than Magic having to pull much of the load in 88 when Kareem was declining. Oh i figured it had 'something' to do with Kobe, just wasn't entirely sure. There have even been slightly negative things Jackson had to say about Kobe but i won't delve much on that.

Well I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Kobe Bryant isn't far superior to players like Melo,Dirk,and Ray Allen when it comes to scoring.Many seasons they've nearly matched him for # of points scored but my point was that their FG% isn't that much better than his but only he gets this reputation for "chucking" when if you watch the Lakers play it's obvious he's taking those shots because he feels he has to.Earlier you said that "even Pau has been unhappy that Kobe takes to many shots" but it's not like Pau is always reliable on offense as we saw in last years playoffs as we sat in watched him do virtually nothing in two different series.Phil Jackson never said anything negative about Kobe..only pointed out flaws in his game.Which is what a coach does. 

Also in regards to Magic he may have had a declining Kareem but he still had James Worthy.So he maybe had to pull more of the load than before but he didn't win with a sub-par Laker's team.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By nefarious

(Rock voice) It doesn't matter what Michael Jordan thinks!

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

Well I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Kobe Bryant isn't far superior to players like Melo,Dirk,and Ray Allen when it comes to scoring.Many seasons they've nearly matched him for # of points scored but my point was that their FG% isn't that much better than his but only he gets this reputation for "chucking" when if you watch the Lakers play it's obvious he's taking those shots because he feels he has to.Earlier you said that "even Pau has been unhappy that Kobe takes to many shots" but it's not like Pau is always reliable on offense as we saw in last years playoffs as we sat in watched him do virtually nothing in two different series.Phil Jackson never said anything negative about Kobe..only pointed out flaws in his game.Which is what a coach does. Also in regards to Magic he may have had a declining Kareem but he still had James Worthy.So he maybe had to pull more of the load than before but he didn't win with a sub-par Laker's team.

Then we are half-agreed on that point. Also that was a quote i've been hearing before last year, up until thenr Pau was still really good. Half the media practically coined him the best PF in the game(inflated i know), he isn't the best PF but he at least was making the case he was. Remember he at least was able to get his team to the playoffs as a 5 seed and the main scorer. I misunderstand the part about Jackson, but some of it wasn't flaws about Kobe more than it was how the media portrayed his skills. Didn't say they were sub-par just saying that Laker team couldn't have been THAT much better than Shaq and Kobe Lakers.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dreadmaster

Also i didn't use those guys to make a point of being better shooters more than the they are for being consistent ones and for understanding to pass it often if there is no shot opportunity(double teams etc). I brought up the "chucking" as a selfish trait of Kobe's. He's done it all his career with help or not so it's nothing remotely new.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

Didn't say they were sub-par just saying that Laker team couldn't have been THAT much better than Shaq and Kobe Lakers.

They weren't THAT much better but they were in fact better. 

@dreadmaster said:

Also i didn't use those guys to make a point of being better shooters more than the they are for being consistent ones and for understanding to pass it often if there is no shot opportunity(double teams etc). I brought up the "chucking" as a selfish trait of Kobe's. He's done it all his career with help or not so it's nothing remotely new.

That's what I don't understand.He gets pegged as a selfish player for taking alot of shots but he averages more assists then all of the shooters you just named and has for nearly the entire time he's started as a Laker and he's top 20 in the NBA right now.Kobe Bryant is a shooting guard.His main objective is to put points on the board.Maybe if The Lakers didn't have damn near the worst starting PG in the league the ball could be properly distributed.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro: Maybe i'm being too general to properly explain, i'm not trying to put down a essay about his game. Just from what i've seen of him, last week i distinctly remember against the Clips(or maybe the Mavs) where he posted up and was double-teamed, he still tried to get a shot-off instead of passing to someone with a better shot or get the ball moving to another open man. The Triangle didn't need to have a playmaking point guard to work so they never tried to get a elite PG, or even a servicable one to run the offense. Thats why the Lakers tried getting Paul before Dwight earlier this season, and i'm sure they're gonna try to get Deron if his future becomes that much more unsure.

davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By davelecave

Kobe can't hear the haters cause his NBA championships are blocking his ears.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

@Vance Astro: Maybe i'm being too general to properly explain, i'm not trying to put down a essay about his game. Just from what i've seen of him, last week i distinctly remember against the Clips(or maybe the Mavs) where he posted up and was double-teamed, he still tried to get a shot-off instead of passing to someone with a better shot or get the ball moving to another open man. The Triangle didn't need to have a playmaking point guard to work so they never tried to get a elite PG, or even a servicable one to run the offense. Thats why the Lakers tried getting Paul before Dwight earlier this season, and i'm sure they're gonna try to get Deron if his future becomes that much more unsure.

When the game is on the line on ANY team the best shooters are always going to take the last shot.
Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro: I'm not sure it was in the fourth but i barely recall.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vaeternus

Even Kobe isn't anywhere near Jordan's level really when you compare the two. Kobe's great, Jordan's legendary...

Sadly, while I am a knicks fan I kind of lost interest in B-Ball since it's a one, two man, maybe 3 in some cases sport these days.