#1 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

please take every ounce of time you have

Star Wars fans may want to sit down for this one. While J.J. Abrams has now been onboard to direct Star Wars: Episode VII for nearly a year, solid news with regards to the pic has been very, very hard to come by. As the film’s production start date looms closer, we all knew this was about to change, and last night we learned that Friday Night Lights actor Jesse Plemons is being eyed for a role in the pic. Now THR has dumped a huge quantity of info about the follow-up, including word that Michael Fassbender, Hugo Weaving, and Adam Driver are all being eyed for roles. More interestingly, though, the script for Episode VII has apparently changed significantly since screenwriter Michael Arndt was pushed off the project, and the lead characters for Episode VII may now be the original trilogy stars: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford.

Hit the jump for the Star Wars: Episode VII motherload.

First thing’s first: according to THR, the script for Star Wars: Episode VII has been significantly reworked since Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan took over screenwriting duties last fall. The official reason given for the screenwriter change was that the Episode VII crew was facing an impending deadline with the film’s December 2015 release date, but THR says the actual reason for the shift was a difference in opinion over which characters to emphasize.

Arndt apparently felt that the main characters of Star Wars: Episode VII should be the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Hamill), Han Solo (Ford), and Princess Leia (Fisher), with the original Star Wars actors taking supporting roles in the story. Abrams felt differently, as he was eager to focus Episode VII on Luke, Han, and Leia “so audiences could have one more chance to enjoy them before a fitting send-off.” George Lucas was also involved in the debate, but he deferred to Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy, and with Arndt now completely off the project, the lead characters of Episode VII will indeed be Luke, Han, and Leia while their offspring will take on supporting roles. The plan now is to have the younger characters take over as the leads in Episode VIII and Episode IX.

This is a significant shift from the previous iteration of the project, and some characters from Arndt’s draft no longer appear in Episode VII while new ones are being created. For example, Abrams was eyeing Tye Sheridan (Mud) for a role last year, but the actor is no longer being considered because such a young actor is no longer needed. Additionally, many of the actors that were rumored or auditioned last year have now been nixed, so there’s no telling whether Michael B. Jordan, Alex Pettyfer, or Jack O’Connell remain viable candidates.

So who is in the mix for Episode VII? THR confirms that Jesse Plemons is on a list of actors that will be speaking with Abrams this week, but he is joined on that list by a number of other names. The report notes that Michael Fassbender met with Abrams about a role in December, and Girls star Adam Driver is also being eyed for a role. Additionally, The Matrix star Hugo Weaving met with Abrams to discuss playing an Imperial commander, and producers are also searching for a 20-something female actress who is either of mixed race or black to play either the daughter or granddaughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Personally, I’d rather see a story that focused more on new characters and less on the aging Luke, Han, and Leia, but at the end of the day this is Abrams’ film and if he doesn’t feel comfortable with the story, then the end result will be compromised. Here’s hoping he and Kasdan have found an organic way to have the original characters lead Episode VII.

This is definitely a lot of information to take in at one time, and it’s important to keep in mind that plenty can change between now and when filming begins—just look how much change the project went through over the past few months. However, filming does have to begin by this summer, so expect to hear plenty more about the project in the coming weeks. Star Wars: Episode VII opens in 3D on December 18, 2015.

Read more at

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-news-harrison-ford-michael-fassbender/#5IgYhcvxdTq4M4jo.99

#2 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll wait for an official source. If this is true... well, that's disappointing. The main characters being the OT's main characters, I mean, not the casting.

#3 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

I'll wait for an official source. If this is true... well, that's disappointing. The main characters being the OT's main characters, I mean, not the casting.

i think i will agree with amc movie talks john campea and say he hits it on the head with disney showing something episode 7 related at sdcc this year and if they do i think it will in fact bury pretty much what both marvel and dc bring to the table.

#4 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34295 posts) - - Show Bio

well this all sounds horrible

#5 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

well this all sounds horrible

no it dosent besides this isnt a miley cyrus record

#6 Posted by Farkam (4992 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34295 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

do you guys always have to be so negative about everything? jesus f*cking christ you people are pretty damn hopeless

#10 Posted by Farkam (4992 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you always have to readily accept everything that you are fed? Jesus Christ you are pretty damned hopeless.

#11 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

do you guys always have to be so negative about everything? jesus f*cking christ you people are pretty damn hopeless

I wonder if you understand the concept of opinion. Maybe you have heard of it? Hmm. Yeah? Maybe? No?

#12 Posted by Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler (820 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not upset about this. J.J. Abrams knows how to be sensitive to die hard fans, while updating for a modern audience. Hopefully Harrison Ford will be getting most of the screen time as compared to the other geezers. His acting has gotten a lot better and he could be play a much deeper role as an aged Han.

#13 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@tazzmission said:

I wonder if you understand the concept of opinion. Maybe you have heard of it? Hmm. Yeah? Maybe? No?

believing everything is terrible when it hasnt even been shot yet isnt a opinion. its a predetermined judgment call. you might want to use a dictionary because i highly doubt you can even define opinion

#14 Edited by Farkam (4992 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission said:

believing everything is terrible when it hasnt even been shot yet isnt a opinion. its a predetermined judgment call. you might want to use a dictionary because i highly doubt you can even define opinion

#15 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission said:

Um I don't believe that. All I was agreeing with was that the above news sounded pretty bad. It is my opinion and I am free to express that.

You seemed to take issue with the fact my view was a negative and not a positive one. You also assume that I am always negative about everything and I am "hopeless". Just because I don't like the sounds of it.

That is like me saying. "Do you always have to be so bloody positive. By Primus you are pretty damn naive."

Again maybe look up the concept of "opinion".

#16 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@tazzmission said:

@tazzmission said:

Ah look someone already did it for you :)

#17 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23460 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, I was expecting something like this from Abrams. He'd rather appeal to fanservice and nostalgia rather than making a legit follow up.

@tazzmission said:

C'mon guys there is no need for hostility like this.

#18 Posted by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no idea half of these actors were even being considered in the first place

#19 Edited by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no idea half of these actors were even being considered in the first place

I think this article is the first anyone's hearing about them.

#20 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, I was expecting something like this from Abrams. He'd rather appeal to fanservice and nostalgia rather than making a legit follow up.

@tazzmission said:

@tazzmission said:

C'mon guys there is no need for hostility like this.

Pardon me, but I don't particularly like been called hopeless and getting flamed for voicing an opinion.

#21 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission said:

@tazzmission said:

Um I don't believe that. All I was agreeing with was that the above news sounded pretty bad. It is my opinion and I am free to express that.

You seemed to take issue with the fact my view was a negative and not a positive one. You also assume that I am always negative about everything and I am "hopeless". Just because I don't like the sounds of it.

That is like me saying. "Do you always have to be so bloody positive. By Primus you are pretty damn naive."

well no offence but can you honestly sit there and say you can blame me for always judging when 80% of fans just simply deem something terrible or even over react ? the whole nerd group has become nothing but negativity since 2005. and before you play the your complaining about complaining card what i say is simply just my opinion on the matter. all i ever hear is from fans nope that isnt right it has to be like this or the way i see it everyone else is wrong . thing is i dont see that 80% of fans drop money to go to film school and actually do something about it. my motto is if you can do better ok show me what you can do otherwise simply quit assuming all these films are just for you and let the writter/director do the job they were payed for doing . and when i say you im talking to anybody who just likes to sit around and just attack anything they dont feel is right. im not saying you or anybody has to listen to me but all i ask is just give it a chance and is that simply to hard to ask out of anyone? because no matter how much people demand demand demand no studio is going to listen . i admit i went ape shit on the affleck batman casting but after seeing his last few films my mind changed and if people want to take some jabs and say im just some dim witt who just accepts anything these studios do fine whatever i simply dont care. or like if people want to assume i prefer a non well known model to be wonder woman fine whatever but dont expect to judge me and not get judged back. this whole argument on dont judge me for opinion cuts both ways not just one

#22 Posted by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Must be. All ik is you can't go wrong with Michael Fassabender and Hugo Weaving so I hope there's truth to them being in the film.

#23 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@commander_kane said:

@mitran: Must be. All ik is you can't go wrong with Michael Fassabender and Hugo Weaving so I hope there's truth to them being in the film.

i think its a safe bet cumberbatch is in

look how he stutters around the question if he is in the film

#24 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission said:

@tazzmission said:

well no offence but can you honestly sit there and say you can blame me for always judging when 80% of fans just simply deem something terrible or even over react ? the whole nerd group has become nothing but negativity since 2005. and before you play the your complaining about complaining card what i say is simply just my opinion on the matter. all i ever hear is from fans nope that isnt right it has to be like this or the way i see it everyone else is wrong . thing is i dont see that 80% of fans drop money to go to film school and actually do something about it. my motto is if you can do better ok show me what you can do otherwise simply quit assuming all these films are just for you and let the writter/director do the job they were payed for doing . and when i say you im talking to anybody who just likes to sit around and just attack anything they dont feel is right. im not saying you or anybody has to listen to me but all i ask is just give it a chance and is that simply to hard to ask out of anyone? because no matter how much people demand demand demand no studio is going to listen . i admit i went ape shit on the affleck batman casting but after seeing his last few films my mind changed and if people want to take some jabs and say im just some dim witt who just accepts anything these studios do fine whatever i simply dont care. or like if people want to assume i prefer a non well known model to be wonder woman fine whatever but dont expect to judge me and not get judged back. this whole argument on dont judge me for opinion cuts both ways not just one

I disagree with you there regarding the 80 percent. People are entitled to their opinion. And the thing is I was merely posting my opinion on this article or agreeing with another poster about it. That is all. This is one article, which I happen not to like, doesn't mean I am judging the entire film on this one article. Just this one article that is all.

As I said before I am entitled to my opinion. I don't think me posting my opinion on an article (which, let's face it is not solid news) on the internet is going to deter these people from making a fcking film.

I never judged you. I posted my opinion and you got on my back about it and made assumptions. It is daft that I have to explain all this to you. But there you go.

#25 Posted by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission: Haha, while its a cool thought I kind've felt like he did the stutter jokingly to mock Ford. But I'd be 100 percent stoked to see him in the film.

#26 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

Very true. Those are casting choices I could easily get behind.

@commander_kane said:

i think its a safe bet cumberbatch is in

look how he stutters around the question if he is in the film

Eh, I don't know... at one point I was all for getting Cumberbatch in Star Wars but atm I'm just not sure. I would hope he wasn't cast as the super-menacing villain because as far as his mainstream work goes I wouldn't want that to become a trend. I could see him as a Jedi master.

#27 Edited by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Yeah it'd be a little more refreshing to see him as a good guy if he was in it I guess. Especially since he just played as Star Treks villain by the same director. Would seem rather lazy.

#28 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

@commander_kane: Yeah, I forgot it was the same director for a moment. That would be lazy. But, since he was also Smaug in the second Hobbit film, a Star Wars villain would be his third menacing villain role in his third fairly large franchise. I just don't want to see that become his typecast, since he can do so much more.

#29 Posted by frogdog (3408 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess it's just down to execution

#30 Posted by Transformers1024 (3079 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission: Tazz quit acting like a prick and let others have their own opinions. Like in my opinion, this news really was disappointing and I fear this could be as bad as Epidodes 1 and 2.

#31 Edited by JediXMan (31222 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to keep my hopes low - especially since this article does nothing to actually quell my worries.

Moderator Online
#32 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4873 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe this but... whatever.

I'm only interested in this film because of J.J. Abrams

(+)

#33 Posted by Immortal777 (7732 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard something similar to this a few months ago so honestly I'm not surprised and I actually expect it to go Abrams way.

#34 Posted by laflux (17519 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I'm going to keep my hopes low - especially since this article does nothing to actually quell my worries.

Low

#35 Edited by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, did that article just say they're possibly looking for someone to play either the daughter or granddaughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi? If that's true who would be the mother or grandmother? O_o

Anyway, I'm still not sure how I feel about a movie mainly focusing on Luke, Han, and Leia...I felt Return of the Jedi was a good send off from them in terms of the movie and the EU stories were to show fans what happened next. I'm just really not sure if I want to watch a movie focusing on three old characters simply for the sake of fan service...

#36 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22725 posts) - - Show Bio

This is gonna suck as bad as gal gadet wonder woman

#37 Posted by flazam (2532 posts) - - Show Bio

This is gonna suck as bad as gal gadet wonder woman

lol this is so true