#1 Posted by ScarletBatman (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel and DC seem to have very different plans when it comes to their current line-up of comics. DC chose to pump out 52 different comics a month, where as Marvel is choosing to produce less comics but double ships the most successful/popular comics. We've seen how DC's product line up has fared over the last year - lots of titles have been canceled, with an equal number of new comics created to replace them. Marvel's new method isn't that different than before but now focuses more heavily on double shipping. How do you think Marvel's method compares to DC's? Which method do you think is superior? Is it better to produce a wider array of comics or is it better to focus in on the most popular comics, at the expense of diversity? How many titles do you think the market can actually sustain from a single company? Is double shipping a good plan, or is it stiffing the market? What about characters like Batman (and Wolverine) who are not necessarily double shipped but have so many titles we (the consumer) receive one (or more) comics starring them a week? Is it better to have as many characters starring in their own titles as possible or is the near weekly release of the same character better?

#2 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite the fact that im reading (and enjoying) titles from them, im not gonna lie: marvels release schedule annoys me

I wouldnt mind so much if their comics werent so damn expensive

#3 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

DC's is better.

The very reason I don't buy Marvel comics is because nothing I can find interests me a lot; well, if I had money anymore, I wouldn't be buying them, anyway.

I used to buy DC comics, and will do so if/when I get an income again, because they have more diversity, and I enjoy some of their comics; not all, but some of them. They have a larger universe in terms of "stuff we get to see each month". Plus, Marvel is much more expensive on a monthly basis; twice as many comics at a 25% increase in price per comic. That's 250% the price to keep up with one title compared to the price of keeping up with one of DC's usual titles.

Overall, DC is more diverse/interesting, for less than half the price. I will admit they've gone Bat-crazy though. I think it's up to 13 Bat titles now, if we count All-Star Western.

#4 Posted by charlieboy (7169 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both companies. Although DC's New 52 concept has yet to win me over. Over all I think I am enjoying Marvel's books more right now.

#5 Posted by ScarletBatman (366 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love it if Marvel's double shipped books cost 3 bucks, rather than 4. Then I could actually keep pace with them.

#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox said:

Despite the fact that im reading (and enjoying) titles from them, im not gonna lie: marvels release schedule annoys me

I wouldnt mind so much if their comics werent so damn expensive

@ScarletBatman said:

I would love it if Marvel's double shipped books cost 3 bucks, rather than 4. Then I could actually keep pace with them.

Yup, this annoys me as well.

#7 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I much prefer DCs release schedule. I know which week I will be buying Batman or Superman or Detective Comics. I have to search Marvel's release calendar all the time to find which ones are coming out when. Cable and X-Force are coming out 2 weeks in a row!!! I hate that.

#8 Posted by Squalleon (4720 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

DC's is better.

Marvel is much more expensive on a monthly basis; twice as many comics at a 25% increase in price per comic. That's 250% the price to keep up with one title compared to the price of keeping up with one of DC's usual titles.

Overall, DC is more diverse/interesting, for less than half the price. I will admit they've gone Bat-crazy though. I think it's up to 13 Bat titles now, if we count All-Star Western.

Online