Marvel and DC are over saturating the comic book TV market

ILikeBigTits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ILikeBigTits

They don't realize releasing all these mediocre shows is going to hurt them in the long run. So now there's a Damage Control show in the works and they announced a Mockingbird show a few months ago. There's no need for a Damage Control show and definitely not a Mockingbird and Hunter show, when they're already prominently featured in AoS. DC is even worse, they're green lighting every show idea someone mentions when the shows they already have are so-so, I haven't seen Gotham, anyone that has feel free to chime in on it. One of DC's new shows is going to be an insurance company workplace comedy, do we really need a Gotham Parks and Rec? If the shows are approached like the Netflix ones, then ok(I have seen maybe 2 people complain about DD) but most likely they're going to be ABC/CW quality which are much less acclaimed compared to Daredevil. In a way, I kind of geek out because as a comic fan it's cool as hell to see what you've been reading for so long come to life, but the novelty is going to wear off fast if they start to keep giving us shows for giving us show's sake. And just so you know, Damage Control and Powerless are basically going to be the same thing.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#2  Edited By black_wreath

They pale in comparison to cop shows and they're not going anywhere.

Supply and demand, there's a demand so alarmist concerns mean nothing right now.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because these show are based of comics do not automatically mean they are going to be homogeneous. Every show you mentioned in your paragraph has a different vibe from each other. Almost every show on network TV is a procedural in some way yet NCIS is still network No.1 Drama.

ILikeBigTits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ILikeBigTits

@the_kidd: I respect the theory of your point, but Mockingbird and Hunter is going to be a spy show like and based off of AoS plus Damage Control and Powerless are the same thing, different companies.

ILikeBigTits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They pale in comparison to cop shows and they're not going anywhere.

Supply and demand, there's a demand so alarmist concerns mean nothing right now.

I don't believe I'm being alarmist but I do understand where you are coming from, although I will say the cop genre isn't niche like the comic book one is. While I don't believe it has started just yet, many people are already speaking of the genre's fatigue, so constantly rolling out shows that are mediocre in concept or end product won't help was kind of my point.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: I respect the theory of your point, but Mockingbird and Hunter is going to be a spy show like and based off of AoS plus Damage Control and Powerless are the same thing, different companies.

Alright, fair enough on the Spy shows but Damage Control & Powerless may have a similar premise but I still think they can be different from each other.

Also guess who is going to HBO.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@neonindian: Every show is created by and commissioned by people who genuinely believe in the final product. The people speaking the fatigue are the people who talk about nothing but cbms and tv shows and therefore contributing to the overexposure (if such a thing even exists yet at this point), ie. malcontents. There will always be a sizeable audience for comic book related media, no genre has ever fully died. Not even the western.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Just because these show are based of comics do not automatically mean they are going to be homogeneous. Every show you mentioned in your paragraph has a different vibe from each other. Almost every show on network TV is a procedural in some way yet NCIS is still network No.1 Drama.

Huh...that's news.

I like NCIS, but I always figured Law and Order had the top spot.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I prefer L&O over NCIS myself but they don't pull in NCIS kind of number consistently

ILikeBigTits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ILikeBigTits

@black_wreath said:

@neonindian: Every show is created by and commissioned by people who genuinely believe in the final product. The people speaking the fatigue are the people who talk about nothing but cbms and tv shows and therefore contributing to the overexposure (if such a thing even exists yet at this point), ie. malcontents. There will always be a sizeable audience for comic book related media, no genre has ever fully died. Not even the western.

Obviously I didn't mean they were sitting in the writers room and were like "lets make a mediocre ass show", but the concept of a superhero the Office with no superheroes seems mediocre, just because you try your hardest and believe, it doesn't always translate well. The novelty of something like that seems like it will wear off quick.

@the_kidd said:
@neonindian said:

Alright, fair enough on the Spy shows but Damage Control & Powerless may have a similar premise but I still think they can be different from each other.

I'm all for Watchmen going to HBO, you know they are going to do it good, that's more of what we need. We don't need more Marc Guggenheim or Andrew Kreisberg shows going to TNT or the CW. And I hope so.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

@neonindian said:

I'm all for Watchmen going to HBO, you know they are going to do it good,that's more of what we need. We don't need more Marc Guggenheim or Andrew Kreisberg shows going to TNT or the CW. And I hope so.

Agreed Watchmen could have more potential on HBO than the DCW shows but I would prefer this as a limited series.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Daredevil show wasn't mediocre, but the shows to come, they will be

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neonindian: I do think pumping out shows for the sake of it will hurt them but I think you're overrexaggerating a bit. Everyone of the shows both companies have between each other have different feels to them besides being about superheroes. The only show I think you're right about is hunter and mockingbird but only because I don't see them holding a TV series unless they have a top notch story and don't come off as "agents" otherwise it's pretty much the third show they have centred around agents

ILikeBigTits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234:The other 2 shows were described as sitcoms about non powered people in a superhero world, can you tell me how that wouldn't get old fast? After they do "hey, Hulk smashed my car" or "Zod lasered up my building" x amount of times, it's going to get exhausted, them it just becomes a regular old Office or Parks and Rec.

@the_kidd: Watchmen has the potential to probably be one of the shows that wouldn't get stale quick, but if it's a limited series, I wouldn't complain.

Daredevil show wasn't mediocre, but the shows to come, they will be

Exactly what I'm saying.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't realize releasing all these mediocre shows is going to hurt them in the long run. So now there's a Damage Control show in the works and they announced a Mockingbird show a few months ago. There's no need for a Damage Control show and definitely not a Mockingbird and Hunter show, when they're already prominently featured in AoS. DC is even worse, they're green lighting every show idea someone mentions when the shows they already have are so-so, I haven't seen Gotham, anyone that has feel free to chime in on it. One of DC's new shows is going to be an insurance company workplace comedy, come on DC, we don't need a Gotham Parks and Rec. If the shows are approached like the Netflix ones, then ok(I have seen maybe 2 people complain about DD) but most likely they're going to be ABC/CW quality which are much less acclaimed compared to Daredevil. In a way, I kind of geek out because as a comic fan it's cool as hell to see what you've been reading for so long come to life, but the novelty is going to wear off fast if they start to keep giving us shows for giving us show's sake. And just so you know, Damage Control and Powerless are basically going to be the same thing.

DC green lighted every show idea ? you clearly don't know much , they have 4 shows that are definitely airing (Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow) , 1 show filming (Titans) based on new52 Teen Titans & 8 show ideas canceled or put in the trash can , is it really a big deal they have green lighted shows for people's entertainment ?

ILikeBigTits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: Somebody doesn't know what exaggeration is.

Avatar image for josteinfleurme65
Josteinfleurme65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as it's not trash, you won't hear me complaining.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neonindian: ok I see what you mean. I guess it all depends on how it turns out

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know why every one want breaking bad/game of thrones quality in every show. Yeah they are cheesy but many fans are able to geek out while watching these shows. I understand where you are coming from though but I like this because we get too see many things where the movies can barely trend as they take too long to come out plus require too long of a setup for average movie goers.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I say let them hit their limit. Am I sick of them? kinda yeah (and that's coming from me, Mr. Loves Every Hero Ever) but I know at some point people will say "Enough is enough"

Loading Video...
deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Other than Legends of Tomorrow, I'm not really hyped for any of the upcoming Marvel/DC shows.