Martial arts and all the combat forms around the world.

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

Edited By Red_Jack

I've finally got a reason to write a blog....

After going on the forum yesterday, I found myself wound up (yet again admittedly) by one of those stupid flaming trolls who make remarks that are ignorant and foolish. Although, on the internet, one cannot escape them and I should turn the other cheek to them, I don't want to. I want to spit venom and punish them for their lazy ignorance and their lack of manners communicating to others.

I swear, social etiquette is a lost form on many people these days. I wonder if the reason I enjoy reading aggressive comics is because the justice involved in some of the stories is an outlet for me... otherwise I'd feel inclined to constantly lash out on ignorant jerks I meet in my everyday life.

But I will explain myself, just so it is written (or typed) down and not swirling around in my thoughts.

The subject that wound me up, which I have seen on many different forums and other networking means, is the topic of different fighting styles.

It seems that many young guys consider the fighting styles made popular in brutish sports on TV are the most effective and realistic in the world.

Please! Keep kidding yourself.

Now, I will give every combat style it's due.. and I mean every style. If it has a following, it was because of it's effectiveness at the time of it's creation and it's popularity as time passes on.

But I do not think that Boxing, Kickboxing, BJJ and Wrestling are the best types of fighting styles in the world. If anything, I see them as the no frills cheap fighting styles for quick results and not much more.

One would argue that some of the best competitors of the sports nowadays would beat someone like Bruce Lee if he were here today. So, guys like Fedor Emilianenko, Anderson Silva, George St Pierre, Lennox Lewis, Remy Bonjasky and Semmy Schilt are probably the baddest guys on the planet in many young mens eyes.

Now, I'm not dumb. These guys are toughnuts, great competitors, in great shape and they know how to hurt their opponents thus obtaining victory.

But they were grizzled toughnuts anyway! Learning a few shin kicks, punch combos and manuevering steps around a ring/octagon just simply added a bit more finesse to their already tough repertoire (just felt like adding that word, for no real reason).

Now you get legions of these braindead macho fans saying "YEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHH Kick Boxing/UFC/MMA is the est fighting style EVAR!" "They'd knock out those idiots and their silly kung fu."

I have done Tae Kwon Do and a bit of Jeet Kune Do. I have made friends with someone who is an expert on Aikido and others who know Kendo, Kung Fu, Judo and Wing Tsun. These guys are so formidable they're almost deadly. This is why you don't see Kung Fu experts or the like showing off in fighting competitions like UFC and MMA. What they have learnt and practiced is potentially a lethal weapon. Potent ones too.

I knew an experienced black belt in Tae Kwon Do who always did demonstrations of breaking multiple bricks/breeze blocks/boards e.t.c. His hands were so well conditioned for breaking objects and his technique so perfected, he'd kill someone if he hit their skull. It'd cause brain damage.

I have more I'd love to include, but at least I got this down so I can get it off my mind finally.

Peace out y'all.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#1  Edited By RazzaTazz

interesting points, but avoid using swear words please.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xanni15

I'm sure how important the fighting style is compared to the person who is using it, all styles could be potentially lethal in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. I do agree that people might overrate the skills of those in the UFC overall a little bit, since quite a few of those guys just like to stand and punch.

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Red_Jack

@Xanni15 said:

I'm sure how important the fighting style is compared to the person who is using it, all styles could be potentially lethal in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. I do agree that people might overrate the skills of those in the UFC overall a little bit, since quite a few of those guys just like to stand and punch.

I find that most of the UFC guys are just skinhead tattooed thugs who like hitting people. Some of the lightweight contestants like George St Pierre exhibit true talent but that is why he is so unbeatable: he's leagues ahead of almost all the other competitors.

I've gotten to the point of posting this rambling diatribe of a blog because I've seen MMA fanboyism far too much. Then you get the particularly ignorant ones who think the more complicated martial arts are rubbish and not useful in a fight. Whoever gets in a fight is almost always usually looking for a fight. The kind of people that go around looking for fights are usually complete losers who hate themselves.

The icing on the cake was when I saw many comments of Fedor Emilianenko fans expressing how if Bruce Lee were here today he'd be destroyed by Fedor. I'm sorry, but Bruce Lee was living proof of how good a martial art is (though he did combine Kung Fu with Fencing, Wrestling and Wing Tsun to make Jeet Kune Do).

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By Xanni15

@Red_Jack said:

@Xanni15 said:

I find that most of the UFC guys are just skinhead tattooed thugs who like hitting people. Some of the lightweight contestants like George St Pierre exhibit true talent but that is why he is so unbeatable: he's leagues ahead of almost all the other competitors.

I've gotten to the point of posting this rambling diatribe of a blog because I've seen MMA fanboyism far too much. Then you get the particularly ignorant ones who think the more complicated martial arts are rubbish and not useful in a fight. Whoever gets in a fight is almost always usually looking for a fight. The kind of people that go around looking for fights are usually complete losers who hate themselves.

The icing on the cake was when I saw many comments of Fedor Emilianenko fans expressing how if Bruce Lee were here today he'd be destroyed by Fedor. I'm sorry, but Bruce Lee was living proof of how good a martial art is (though he did combine Kung Fu with Fencing, Wrestling and Wing Tsun to make Jeet Kune Do).

Excellent points. Regarding GSP, I may be selling him short but all of his fights I've seen, he just lays on top of the guy, just controls the match.

Indeed, that or they're just a bully looking to pick on others, and those types of people usually lack skill.

Oh, Fedor. Not sure if any UFC fighter has been more overrated than he is/was, the guy was more concerned with making money and protecting his record. Not saying going unbeaten that long is easy but when you're not fighting the absolute very best in the world, it's sorta diminished. Bruce Lee would dance circles around Fedor, not even sure if he'd be able to tag Lee. Lee created and mastered his own martial art, others train in less.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mikethekiller

@Red_Jack said:

@Xanni15 said:

The UFC is actually extremely diverse as far as race goes and GSP is a welterweight not a lightweight. As far as Fedor goes he should be able to handle Bruce due to him being a good deal taller and heavier and having a very extensive background in combat sambo.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikethekiller

I wonder do people actually take time to account for multiple aspects of fighting (height, reach advantages, strength, grappling, throws, cardio, ect.) or if all they do is picture Bruce Lee ending the fight instantly with the death touch.

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Red_Jack

@mikethekiller: Weight and height are only an advantage to the unwise. From what I've seen, the best martial artists in disciplines like Kung Fu, Karate, Wing Tsun, Ninjutsu, Tae Kwon Do, Hakke Sho and other high risk types, are usually for smaller people.

2 or 3 Bruce Lee's would probably add up to someone like Fedor by weight and height, but not power. Striking power is proportional and a smaller fighter has more potential to learn devastating strikes. Mainly because they can move faster. Speed causes the most force with a strike, not the weight behind the punch. Precision and technique too.

Women have the potential to be much more superior fighters than man if they really wanted to be. Not only do women have more supple bodies and faster reflexes, but women have a different mindset to men that can make them more efficient killers.

If a lioness and a bear square up, most of the time the lioness will back off because size and height = superior to the untrained mind. however, the bear has less capable hearing and sight. The lioness has a body structure that can quite easily defeat the bear. But the lioness would never realise this unless enlightened.

(how long is it gonna take when some idiot comes on this forum and starts trying to flame? Wont be long at all)

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikethekiller

@Red_Jack said:

@mikethekiller: Weight and height are only an advantage to the unwise. From what I've seen, the best martial artists in disciplines like Kung Fu, Karate, Wing Tsun, Ninjutsu, Tae Kwon Do, Hakke Sho and other high risk types, are usually for smaller people.

2 or 3 Bruce Lee's would probably add up to someone like Fedor by weight and height, but not power. Striking power is proportional and a smaller fighter has more potential to learn devastating strikes. Mainly because they can move faster. Speed causes the most force with a strike, not the weight behind the punch. Precision and technique too.

I could have swore I heard somewhere that the bigger you are (with the addition of proper technique) the harder your punch will be but oh well. How in your opinion would Bruce handle himself on the ground with someone like Fedor.

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red_Jack

I dunno, never met the guy.

Okay, I'll explain it again but maybe less long-winded. Actually, better yet... I'll give you examples of people I know.

I trained in Tae Kwon Do for a good 6 years. I reached 1st dan Black Belt, but had to give it up once I moved to London.

I never became as amazing as some of the more experienced black belts, but I was good. Being tall, I had the advantage of reach. My kicks helped me win tournaments and I do have a box in my mums house full of gold medals (but a lot more silvers and bronzes).

I was sometimes in the middle weight division and sometimes in the heavyweight division; I was that borderline.

The heavier guys I sparred did hit hard. I took on one guy in the world championships and he punched my nose so hard I couldn't breath through it from too much dried up blood in the nostrils.

However, the guys who really knew how to hit hard were the smaller guys. This guy in my club called Kevin West had devastating side kicks and I knew he would go easy on me with them. When he was in tournaments I saw him launching guys across the room with his kicks. They were much more powerful than any of the heavyweights. It's all down to speed and precision.

I knew he real reason I was a good competitor is because I focussed on learning specific kicks for counter attacks. I actually don't think my height advantage made much difference.

The name Warren Vice may not mean anything, but I used to watch him with such jealousy. He was a tiny guy but he could beat anyone. His techniques and endurance were excepional and it was mostly down to his speed of movement. We'd all feel exhausted just watching him.

Ahhh, I was still long winded... I dunno how to be not long winded.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By laflux

@Red_Jack said:

I dunno, never met the guy.

Okay, I'll explain it again but maybe less long-winded. Actually, better yet... I'll give you examples of people I know.

I trained in Tae Kwon Do for a good 6 years. I reached 1st dan Black Belt, but had to give it up once I moved to London.

I never became as amazing as some of the more experienced black belts, but I was good. Being tall, I had the advantage of reach. My kicks helped me win tournaments and I do have a box in my mums house full of gold medals (but a lot more silvers and bronzes).

I was sometimes in the middle weight division and sometimes in the heavyweight division; I was that borderline.

The heavier guys I sparred did hit hard. I took on one guy in the world championships and he punched my nose so hard I couldn't breath through it from too much dried up blood in the nostrils.

However, the guys who really knew how to hit hard were the smaller guys. This guy in my club called Kevin West had devastating side kicks and I knew he would go easy on me with them. When he was in tournaments I saw him launching guys across the room with his kicks. They were much more powerful than any of the heavyweights. It's all down to speed and precision.

I knew he real reason I was a good competitor is because I focussed on learning specific kicks for counter attacks. I actually don't think my height advantage made much difference.

The name Warren Vice may not mean anything, but I used to watch him with such jealousy. He was a tiny guy but he could beat anyone. His techniques and endurance were excepional and it was mostly down to his speed of movement. We'd all feel exhausted just watching him.

Ahhh, I was still long winded... I dunno how to be not long winded.

do any of these guys have videos on youtube

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I'd love to learn Wing Chun in honor of Yip Man and Bruce Lee.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By superstay

@Red_Jack:

I trained in TaeKwonDo too, from 7 - 14 years of age, I made it to first degree Black Belt (left to play basketball some time after).

But I remember one sparing practice I side kicked this high schooler (he was about 6 ft, maybe 200 lbs if I remember it correctly) in the chest and knocked him on his butt, and I was about 12 years old, 5'4 - 5'5, 140 lbs. So I agree with you on the most part.

d^_^b

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Go fencing.

... what?

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Red_Jack

@laflux: Last time I checked, Warren Vice started up his own club. I'm sure he's got many youtube videos. I remember watching him on youtube, come to think of it, but I wasn't all that surprised having seen him in action many many times. I almost went up against him, but I got cocky against this guy before facing Warren and let my guard down. I took quite a hefty spinning side kick to the face and lost the match by about a point.

I tells ya, taking a foot in the face is a weird experience. I remember sparring this experienced black belt who was much smaller than me and the guy landing a spinning hook kick across my chin. I was still standing and kept sparring but when I sat down I had swimmy vision, a sense of deja vu and was not able to remember my job the next day for a good 10 minutes. That little black belt was such an arrogant little polish jerk. I actually beat him, though I thought I lost.