• 97 results
#1 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio

"There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story."

"Man of Steel offers nothing but torturous exposition, heavy-handed symbolism, criminally ill-used actors and a numbing finale that would be right at home in a Transformers sequel. It's one massive superbore."

"There will not be a worse disaster in my life that will ever compare to this travesty"

"They just dugged Christopher Reeve's grave and raped his f****ng corpse."

"This is probably one of the worst movies I ever had to review for this site"

Here is your lesson, kids; 90% of the "professional critics" that work Rotten Tomatoes would probably be more efficient as comedians than critics.

#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Critics do what critics are "supposed" to do. Critique with a subjective opinion.

None of their reviews should really be taken with a grain of salt. I had mixed feelings about Man of Steel the first viewing, loved it the second time.

#3 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Critics do what critics are "supposed" to do. Critique with a subjective opinion.

their reviews should really be taken with a grain of salt.

I never trust anything from this generation :D

:P

#4 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

the movie was trash

#5 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio

None of their reviews should really be taken with a grain of salt. I had mixed feelings about Man of Steel the first viewing, loved it the second time.

That is not how most see it. I mean, I seen my fair share of "professionals" attacking people's inteligence who disagree with their reviews (ironically not that much on RT), claiming they are the lowest common denominator that ensure these wretched franchises keep on going.

Everyone is allowed to hold their own opinion, but its absolutely ridiculous when they pile on the most hyperbolic, worse thing they can say about it and shred it to pieces and expect we must take it seriously.

#6 Edited by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

The critics can't decide if it was too story heavy and not actiony enough or too much action with a thin plot. No point listening to them.

#7 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

That is not how most see it. I mean, I seen my fair share of "professionals" attacking people's inteligence who disagree with their reviews (ironically not that much on RT), claiming they are the lowest common denominator that ensure these wretched franchises keep on going.

Everyone is allowed to hold their own opinion, but its absolutely ridiculous when they pile on the most hyperbolic, worse thing they can say about it and shred it to pieces and expect we must take it seriously.

That's ridiculous, you cannot argue an opinion. Some people are just so unnecessarily stubborn and there's no need to insult others when they disagree with your opinion.

#8 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I never trust anything from this generation :D

:P

Word!

Experience everything for yourself!

#9 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't like the movie, then they don't like the movie. Doesn't mean you got to as well.

#10 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Indeed. Its their "You are with us or you are against us". Of course they aren't stupid enough to say that in the sites they work for. They do it in Facebook and Twitter. You should see what they had to say about the Transformers movies fanbase - not the movies mind you, than fanbase.

"Any human dumb enough to voluntarily sit through a second helping of that unremitting fecal spew really ought to just get up and leave the planet via the nearest window before their continued presence does lasting damage to the gene pool."

Charlie Brooker on people who liked Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

And that is one of the least terrible examples I can name right now. Some people can't stop being assholes, period.

#11 Edited by King Saturn (222808 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Man of Steel has too many Polar Opposite People speaking on it... Ever since Friday all I have been hearing is that either the Film was Overrated and Average at Best or that It was the Best Film Ever... when essentially neither is true. Man of Steel was a Very Good film... but it aint the Best Film Ever... it's really not better than The Avengers or The Dark Knight... but it is Good and it's not overrated.

Obviously everyone has their opinion... but I think people be overreacting too much.

#12 Edited by MrDirector786 (43131 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Indeed. Its their "You are with us or you are against us". Of course they aren't stupid enough to say that in the sites they work for. They do it in Facebook and Twitter. You should see what they had to say about the Transformers movies fanbase - not the movies mind you, than fanbase.

"Any human dumb enough to voluntarily sit through a second helping of that unremitting fecal spew really ought to just get up and leave the planet via the nearest window before their continued presence does lasting damage to the gene pool."

And that is one of the least terrible examples I can name right now. Some people can't stop being assholes, period.

Wow. And I thought critics were mature and tolerant of other people's opinions.

#13 Edited by russellmania77 (13617 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie was better than those corny other superman films.

#14 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Nostalgia probably isn't helping in this matter.

But hey opinions are subjective so there's bound to be disagreements.

#15 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been said on the vine many times now but it's true:

The only people who seem to be getting angry are the ones who probably aren't fans of the Superman comics.

Or comics at all for that matter. The Superman boards here are full of viners giving the movie praise.

Some are even calling it their favorite Superman flick. (I don't agree with that tidbit but you get my point)

#16 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

Also it seems like Iron Man 3 should have been torn apart by critics who claim to be loyal to characters but it wasn't.

It wasn't a terrible movie but the main villain was butchered.

I'll stop before I start a flame war.

#17 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by turoksonofstone (13194 posts) - - Show Bio

This Movie does not appear to be a Box office Blockbuster at all. I understand WB was looking to make Avengers money with this film, Will they??

Leading off the reboot with Superman snapping Zods neck is lame.

45 minutes of super brawling and destruction also amps up the bar for ALL superhero movies and may end up hurting more than just the MOS franchise in the long term. 2/5 rating for me.

#19 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly i'd rather watch superman four, and batman and robin, continuously, on a loop, for the rest of forever, then watch man of steel or dark knight rises again.

without rifftrax. superman four, is way more, superman, thin this thing.

this has more in common with "bearded idiot".

and that is what it should be called. not superman. just be referred to, as bearded idiot, for now on.

Wow... Just wow...

#20 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't care about what they say anymore.

#22 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16870 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow yeah I read that somewhere before.

Whilst I do dislike Revenge of the Fallen quite a bit I would never ever even dream of calling people idiots or insulting them if they enjoyed it. That takes it too far, way too far. Alot of critics do have that snobbery about them and seem to think they are above everyone and their opinions are more important and are more right than other peoples. I guess we are all guilty of that at times. But there is difference between that and writing articles about it for every film that comes out.

Cant comment on Man of Steel not seen it but it does look pretty good.

#23 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (4465 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not that much of fan on Supe's. But it really depends on peoples opinion.

#24 Edited by JediXMan (27954 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed it.

#25 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct:

No respect for an Icon, and no sensitivity for a post-mortem hero

must been abused as a child

#26 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: I didn't like RotF either, but you know how they are like: every summer popcorn movie (regardless if they are enjoyable or not) is their worst movie of the year until the next one come around. And they throw out any professionalism out of the window when they react in such crude and disrespectful manner toward their readers.

@nerx said:

@dragonborn_ct:

No respect for an Icon, and no sensitivity for a post-mortem hero

must been abused as a child

I wouldn't assume that, but the person who wrote it in their review was probably putting the worse things they could say about MoS and was insensitive enough to put that up.

#27 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: I know comparing is one thing, but making fun of a legend is just odd

must be touched by his daddy alot

#28 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (16870 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: I didn't like RotF either, but you know how they are like: every summer popcorn movie (regardless if they are enjoyable or not) is their worst movie of the year until the next one come around. And they throw out any professionalism out of the window when they react in such crude and disrespectful manner toward their readers.

True I actually enjoyed Rise of Cobra when I went to see it at the cinema.

#29 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Man of Steel has too many Polar Opposite People speaking on it... Ever since Friday all I have been hearing is that either the Film was Overrated and Average at Best or that It was the Best Film Ever... when essentially neither is true. Man of Steel was a Very Good film... but it aint the Best Film Ever... it's really not better than The Avengers or The Dark Knight... but it is Good and it's not overrated.

Obviously everyone has their opinion... but I think people be overreacting too much.

agreeeed.

Let the flame wars begin!!!...

that said, there have been a lot of superhero orientated movies these past 5 years..

#30 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by SideburnGuru (1335 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, when I hear overhyped films, I do think of The Dark Knight not Man Of Steel. But that's just me.

Anyway, said it before, said it again. Critics don't matter in this generation. Just a bunch of people with their heads so far up their ass.

"DIS NOT DA SUPAMAN I NO. DAT MEANS IT WRONG. 0/10 BAD MOVIE. DO NOT SEE" Look. I just did what 90 percent of the people on Rotten Tomatoes did. Tada, kids. Magic.

#32 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by russellmania77 (13617 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Dernman (14016 posts) - - Show Bio

Right here. That was one of the major problems with Superman today for fans like me and potential fans. People and writers just won't let go of Christopher Reeves. Yes I like Superman to be a good guy and a light symbol of hope but let the character breath and move on from Christopher Reeves. I have no problem with the guy or his movies for that time but stop strangling him into a pigeonhole.

#35 Edited by russellmania77 (13617 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by SavageDragon (2166 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a great movie, I really cant see why people didn't like it. Oh well.

#37 Posted by Dernman (14016 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by russellmania77 (13617 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by brc2000 (1680 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly i'd rather watch superman four, and batman and robin, continuously, on a loop, for the rest of forever, then watch man of steel or dark knight rises again.

without rifftrax. superman four, is way more, superman, thin this thing.

this has more in common with "bearded idiot".

and that is what it should be called. not superman. just be referred to, as bearded idiot, for now on.

Wow... Just wow...

Whoever wrote that, got the "bearded idiot" thing from an internet reviewer (who are usually even worse than professional critics). I don't mind a negative review of a film I like (though I haven't seen this one yet), but critics seem to be completely missing the point here, especially ones claiming that it's too dark or serious, when that was what we were told it was going to be from the start.

Regarding the Charlie Brooker Transformers quote, in this case he is actually a comedian, and it's pretty much his job to be an asshole. If you don't take him too seriously, he's actually one of the most geek-friendly critics around, and insults himself almost as often.

#40 Edited by DocLuthorVonDoom (101 posts) - - Show Bio

They're right, that movie was trash, and it was, explicitly, made to appeal to the lowest common denominator, so was Transformers. I admire them for their criticism, what's more troubling, for me, is sites who have professional reviewers who do nothing but praise every single movie in their reviews...kind of like comic vine. Honestly, I have not seen one negative review by the "officials" on this site for anything, movies or otherwise.

#41 Posted by ssejllenrad (12782 posts) - - Show Bio

My fav critic fail is the one who said that he lost all respect for the film even before he saw it because the "S" wasn't an "S" and was supposed to stand for Superman.

#42 Posted by Dernman (14016 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Sideslash (5906 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten Tomatoes can GTFO.

#44 Posted by trebean (608 posts) - - Show Bio

My fav critic fail is the one who said that he lost all respect for the film even before he saw it because the "S" wasn't an "S" and was supposed to stand for Superman.

That's stupid, that's like saying Wonder Woman's breastplate stand's for breast, Aquaman's belt buckle stands for aqua and Powergirl's boob window stands for cleavages.

#45 Edited by AweSam (7103 posts) - - Show Bio

This is how it's going to look when the Batman reboot introduces the Joker. People think just because an actor who was famous for a particular role died, means the character should die with them. Reeves was an alright Supermab. There were actors before him who played the role and their are actors after him. He doesn't own the role and he wasn't the best Superman as people claim. Bunch of nostalgic babies playing critic.

#46 Posted by ssejllenrad (12782 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Bunch of nostalgic babies playing critic.

Sums it up.

#47 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

This Movie does not appear to be a Box office Blockbuster at all. I understand WB was looking to make Avengers money with this film, Will they??

Leading off the reboot with Superman snapping Zods neck is lame.

45 minutes of super brawling and destruction also amps up the bar for ALL superhero movies and may end up hurting more than just the MOS franchise in the long term. 2/5 rating for me.

WB is not looking to make Avengers money with MOS.. there official statement was that, they were expecting an opening weekend of 80 million usd... looks like the film is going to much better than that.

#48 Posted by Z3RO180 (5943 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten tomatoes ARNT the best for opinions

#50 Posted by laflux (11078 posts) - - Show Bio

"There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story."

"Man of Steel offers nothing but torturous exposition, heavy-handed symbolism, criminally ill-used actors and a numbing finale that would be right at home in a Transformers sequel. It's one massive superbore."

"There will not be a worse disaster in my life that will ever compare to this travesty"

"This is probably one of the worst movies I ever had to review for this site"

Here is your lesson, kids; 90% of the "professional critics" that work Rotten Tomatoes would probably be more efficient as comedians than critics.