#1 Posted by frogdog (3649 posts) - - Show Bio

Turns out, he was producing alcohol in his gut, and getting drunk off it, too

Guys, we've been getting drunk all wrong; turns out, you can brew beer in your own body, which is pretty much like getting alcohol for free.

NPR stumbled across the craziest case of "auto-brewery syndrome" in an issue of the International Journal of Clinical Medicine, where a 61-year-old man complained of getting dizzy and feeling drunk at random times during the day. The man, who has a history of home-brewing, walked into a Texas emergency room with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.37, although he claimed he hadn't had any alcohol that day.

"He would get drunk out of the blue — on a Sunday morning after being at church, or really, just anytime," Barabara Cordell, of Panola College in Carthage, Texas, told NPR. "His wife was so dismayed about it that she even bought a Breathalyzer."

The hospital quarantined the man for 24 hours, feeding him carbohydrate-rich foods and testing his blood for alcohol. His BAC rose 0.12 percent at one point.

Turns out, the man had what they've dubbed "auto-brewery syndrome," where an overabundance of yeast in his gut was brewing up alcohol, processing starch to ferment the sugars into ethanol. And while this might sound awesome, we can imagine getting drunk without being able to control it is probably a huge annoyance. We retract our lede.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/man-accidentally-brews-beer-his-gut

#2 Edited by russellmania77 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

Gross

#3 Posted by judasnixon (7437 posts) - - Show Bio

Coolest super power ever.....

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (19419 posts) - - Show Bio

o_____O

#5 Posted by frogdog (3649 posts) - - Show Bio

Barney Gumble in real life

#6 Posted by Raiiyn (3619 posts) - - Show Bio

O-o

#7 Posted by No_Trolling (653 posts) - - Show Bio

He should have threw up regularly and made it into a drink. Would sell nice on ebay.

#8 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (24352 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by Samimista (21272 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw I heard this earlier. Didn't even know such a thing is possible. 0.0 I do hope he is alright and that the doctors could help him.

#10 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess you could say he had a real beer belly.
Eh? EH?

#11 Edited by Samimista (21272 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess you could say he had a real

beer belly.

Eh? EH?

Hehehe! xD I'm actually laughing over this lol. =D

#12 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5859 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by judasnixon (3637 posts) - 3 hours, 6 minutes ago - Show Bio

Coolest super power ever.....

This!!

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (46037 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6548 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. I wonder if you could be arrested for drunk driving if you accidentally got drunk because of this condition.

It could make for an interesting episode of a police or courtroom drama T.V. show at least.

#15 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. I wonder if you could be arrested for drunk driving if you accidentally got drunk because of this condition.

It could make for an interesting episode of a police or courtroom drama T.V. show at least.

You probably could be but the charges would most likely be dropped as the person would have no control over when they get drunk.

#16 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't tell if its gross or awesome

#17 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (13096 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure this man is not allowed to drive anything

#18 Posted by PowerHerc (85517 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol.

#19 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (27794 posts) - - Show Bio

O_______________________________________o

#20 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure this man is not allowed to drive anything

Actually he can. They fixed him up. I think.

#21 Posted by King Saturn (225715 posts) - - Show Bio

So does that mean he can drink Lagar from his own D!ck ?

#22 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2152 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm speechless...

#25 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2152 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

THAT'S AWESOME!!!

If only I could do that, then I wouldn't need a fake I.D.

#27 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if his (drunk enough) friends considered using him as a keg.

#28 Posted by Lvenger (21958 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard of having your own brewery but this is ridiculous

...Yeah OK that was a bad joke I can see that XD

#29 Posted by BumpyBoo (10973 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a good point, I guess they would have to consider a lot of factors, like whether you are even aware you have the condition.

The part about feeding him carb-rich foods leads me to suspect that this is a condition which is seriously affected by diet? So maybe it is something you could control to some degree by reducing intake of certain foods.

If you can't help it at all, but know you have the condition and still drive, I reckon that's a prosecution. Likewise if you drive but don't take whatever medicine or precautions there may be out there to control the condition.

So yeah...I am by no means an expert but I would have thought you could only get away with drink driving if you had no idea that you had this syndrome. Otherwise, maybe it could be argued that it is the person's responsibility to not drive?

Interesting question! Certainly made me think ^__^

#30 Posted by laflux (17671 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess you could say he had a real

beer belly.

Eh? EH?

lol

#31 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29515 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmm.

Stomach cancer.

#32 Posted by Nefarious (23818 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF. :O