Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@jedixman said:
@jaken7 said:

@shootingnova said:

@jaken7 said:

Magic has become such sh*t. It's so depressing.

Why?

It's become a dumb Yu-Gi-Oh! ripoff. Games used to have heart and strategy. Now it's a 90 second card wank. The last few expansions have had some of the most powerful and useful cards at ridiculously low costs...and their friggin' commons. I really hope the 2015 core set does a LOT of retooling to capture the old Magic, cuz right now the meta game is absolute shite.

Eh. I enjoy playing Modern and EDH.

I agree that M14 and Theros have been lackluster; I liked RtR, personally. I think M15 has some promise.

I might look into EDH if M15 ends up falling short of what I want in terms of balance. I guess I'm just an old fart who misses the Magic of yesteryear. I stopped being real serious about the game around M10, and the game was perfect back then. I just got back into it a bit with my step-brother's visit. He's been collecting for only about 2 years, but all of his cards are from the newest expansions. That's why I'm so bitter. He wiped the floor with me in about 70-80% of our matches. His cards were so disgusting. He told me he even bought some of them individually, so it really just came down to whoever had spent the most money would win. Magic never used to be like that. That's Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon sh*t.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jedixman: It's fine if you want to save money or if you just a casual player, I guess. I'm still not that happy with it, though.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#53 JediXMan  Moderator
@jaken7 said:
@jedixman said:
@jaken7 said:

@shootingnova said:

@jaken7 said:

Magic has become such sh*t. It's so depressing.

Why?

It's become a dumb Yu-Gi-Oh! ripoff. Games used to have heart and strategy. Now it's a 90 second card wank. The last few expansions have had some of the most powerful and useful cards at ridiculously low costs...and their friggin' commons. I really hope the 2015 core set does a LOT of retooling to capture the old Magic, cuz right now the meta game is absolute shite.

Eh. I enjoy playing Modern and EDH.

I agree that M14 and Theros have been lackluster; I liked RtR, personally. I think M15 has some promise.

I might look into EDH if M15 ends up falling short of what I want in terms of balance. I guess I'm just an old fart who misses the Magic of yesteryear. I stopped being real serious about the game around M10, and the game was perfect back then. I just got back into it a bit with my step-brother's visit. He's been collecting for only about 2 years, but all of his cards are from the newest expansions. That's why I'm so bitter. He wiped the floor with me in about 70-80% of our matches. His cards were so disgusting. He told me he even bought some of them individually, so it really just came down to whoever had spent the most money would win. Magic never used to be like that. That's Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon sh*t.

EDH is a nice format. Most games take a long time to play, and there's very little restrictions of what you can and cannot play. There was a phase around M10 where the game got slower - much different from insane Legacy decks with turn 1 combos (which I don't enjoy playing).

You could... proxy like me... just sayin' >_>

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jaken7: Nothing comes close to the power 9 in recent years, nor to Jace the Mindsculptor, who was released just after m10. Sure, Innistrad and Ravnica upped the power level, but Legacy and Vintage still use lots of older cards, rather than newer cards.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jedixman: Can you stop quoting, please? It's becoming a pyramid text and I keep getting notifications for them.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Yeah, I've always preferred the long games. Not necessarily "slower" because a lot happens, but it shouldn't be over before each player has at least 5 lands or so out.

@jaken7: Nothing comes close to the power 9 in recent years, nor to Jace the Mindsculptor, who was released just after m10. Sure, Innistrad and Ravnica upped the power level, but Legacy and Vintage still use lots of older cards, rather than newer cards.

Well duh. That's why those cards were banned. Jace is a Planeswalker, so that's semi-expected. As far as legitimate cards go though, these most recent expansions have taken it to a whole 'nother level.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 JediXMan  Moderator
@jaken7 said:

@jedixman: Yeah, I've always preferred the long games. Not necessarily "slower" because a lot happens, but it shouldn't be over before each player has at least 5 lands or so out.

Fair enough.

EDH is the kind of game where having 10 lands is not uncommon.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By JakeN7

@jedixman: That's the sh%t I'm talking about!

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Most Legacy decks and vintage decks I come across run almost exclusively cards from before m11. Heck, there are quite a few Legacy cards I want to be reprinted. The dual lands, Natural Order, Protean Hulk, Cunning Wish, Force of Will, Reset, Turnabout, Chain of Vapor, Hydroblast, Sensei's Diving Top, Red Elemental Blast, Birds of Paradise, Survival of the Fittest, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, all the non-banned Moxes, Lim-Dul's Vault, Show and Tell, and lots of others. Yes, current standard has some powerful cards, but so did lots of other sets.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_imperator: Sure, but the powerful cards from other sets had huge drawbacks either via casting cost, or in Phyrexian Dreadnought's case (since you brought him up) you needed to sacrifice a creature with a total power of 12 or more just to let him on the field. These new ones have low casting costs, and virtually no downside to them. Plus they're nearly all common, whereas the really OP cards from previous sets were either rare or mythic rare.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: What are some of these OP commons?

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Who here plays Commander/EDH? What commanders do you use? I have a Jarad dredge deck, and Teysa combo deck, and a Nekusar fun deck that exists simply to facilitate longer games.

*Gasp!*

He went to jared!

lol i have 2 edh decks, my favorite one is here

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prey-to-the-gods/

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By JakeN7

@the_imperator said:

It had less to do with their power, and more to do with their potential via abilities and buffs, and their low casting cost. The stuff with lifelink and heroic were especially annoying. I can't name specifics because they were my stepbrother's cards, and he's back home and took his cards with him.

I actually do have one specific card in mind though (as far as OP BS goes, not saying it's common), although it does have one slight drawback.

F*** this motherf***er...

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cooldes: I have a friend who runs a Karona deck, uses it to run all the complete cycles he can fit into it. All the signets, guild charms, etc. It's a pretty interesting idea, though sadly I haven't gotten to play against it yet.

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Cooldes

@greatcaesarsghost: why is that your commander?!?!?!

You know playing from command zone doesn't activate his effects right?? as a commander... It's just a REALLY expensive 4/6 with no effect

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 JediXMan  Moderator
@jaken7 said:

Are you familiar with how EDH works?

PM me if you want to talk about Commander.

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: lol dude... The gods are....GODS lol they supposed to be ridiculous, that is why they are MYTHIC RARE lol...

But if you think iroas is bad... Then i guess you haven't seen athreos...

Btw an OP common is freaking GIANT GROWTH, which isn't new, MADCAP motherf***ing SKILLS, and freaking RANCOR.

There you go :p

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: That's a mythic, and a god no less, they're supposed to be pretty powerful. And considering the crap most of the two color gods were, Iroas was a nice change of pace (I'm still sad about Pharika, she really isn't good at all in any G/B deck I can think of, save maybe as a filler card in a Glissa EDH).

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 JediXMan  Moderator
@jaken7 said:

@the_imperator said:

It had less to do with their power, and more to do with their potential via abilities and buffs, and their low casting cost. The stuff with lifelink and heroic were especially annoying. I can't name specifics because they were my stepbrother's cards, and he's back home and took his cards with him.

I actually do have one specific card in mind though (as far as OP BS goes, not saying it's common), although it does have one slight drawback.

The gods are not really OP. They can be dealt with, and if they are creatures they are even more vulnerable.

But, yes, that particular card is pretty good; I run it in my EDH Boros deck. The mono red god is good, too; mono white is probably the worst one.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a mythic, and a god no less, they're supposed to be pretty powerful. And considering the crap most of the two color gods were, Iroas was a nice change of pace (I'm still sad about Pharika, she really isn't good at all in any G/B deck I can think of, save maybe as a filler card in a Glissa EDH).

I know, I just hate that card. It's way too powerful, especially for such a low cost. And Mythic doesn't mean what it used to. My stepbrother had two of those f***ers in his deck.

@jedixman said:
@jaken7 said:

Are you familiar with how EDH works?

PM me if you want to talk about Commander.

Hadn't heard of it until to day honestly.

That's the same as EDH, right?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 JediXMan  Moderator

Who here plays Commander/EDH? What commanders do you use? I have a Jarad dredge deck, and Teysa combo deck, and a Nekusar fun deck that exists simply to facilitate longer games.

Aurelia, the Warleader is my commander in a Boros deck that focuses on multiple combat phases.

I want to make a 5-color Planeswalker EDH deck, but it doesn't seem very viable in EDH (not too viable in Modern, either, but it's fun).

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 JediXMan  Moderator
@jaken7 said:

@the_imperator said:

That's a mythic, and a god no less, they're supposed to be pretty powerful. And considering the crap most of the two color gods were, Iroas was a nice change of pace (I'm still sad about Pharika, she really isn't good at all in any G/B deck I can think of, save maybe as a filler card in a Glissa EDH).

I know, I just hate that card. It's way too powerful, especially for such a low cost. And Mythic doesn't mean what it used to. My stepbrother had two of those f***ers in his deck.

My mono blue aggro / control deck would have fun against his deck, I think.

Focuses on low-cost creatures that amp each other, a lot of counterspells, and cards that send creatures back to their owner's hands (deals with silly things like indestructibility quite nicely).

@jaken7 said:

EDH = Commander. It's the same thing.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: It's also an enchantment. There are like a billion ways in this standard block to remove them.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JakeN7

@Cooldes said:

@jaken7: lol dude... The gods are....GODS lol they supposed to be ridiculous, that is why they are MYTHIC RARE lol...

But if you think iroas is bad... Then i guess you haven't seen athreos...

Btw an OP common is freaking GIANT GROWTH, which isn't new, MADCAP motherf***ing SKILLS, and freaking RANCOR.

There you go :p

Like I said, I was just pointing him out because it's the kind of sh*t I'm talking about, and I hate him.

Also, Giant Growth is far from OP, what're you on about?

@jedixman said:
@jaken7 said:

@the_imperator said:

The gods are not really OP. They can be dealt with, and if they are creatures they are even more vulnerable.

But, yes, that particular card is pretty good; I run it in my EDH Boros deck. The mono red god is good, too; mono white is probably the worst one.

Well the fact that he's indestructible means I can't destroy him. I run a mono Black deck, and my Dark Banishings and Terrors were all worthless against him. Funnily enough, I was only able to counter him after I bought two Journey Into Nyx booster packs, and I got this guy:

No Caption Provided

Being indestructible doesn't save you from exile!

I'm also bitter because Goblin War Drums is one of my oldest favorite cards, and Iroas has it built in as a secondary ability, rendering GWD proper absolutely worthless.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JediXMan  Moderator

@jaken7: It's also an enchantment. There are like a billion ways in this standard block to remove them.

Modern is more fun, in my opinion, and there's even more options (Oblivion Ring, anybody?)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you can't cast a "destroy enchantment" spell or ability, as that dude is indestructible.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I don't have the money to get into Modern or Vintage/Legacy, sadly. Which is nice about commander. I only need one. Whereas other formats, I need 3 and 4 ofs, which can cost a lot.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By JakeN7
@jedixman said:
@jaken7 said:

@the_imperator said:

My mono blue aggro / control deck would have fun against his deck, I think.

Focuses on low-cost creatures that amp each other, a lot of counterspells, and cards that send creatures back to their owner's hands (deals with silly things like indestructibility quite nicely).

@jaken7 said:

EDH = Commander. It's the same thing.

I'd love to see that.

Ok, cool.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

Well the fact that he's indestructible means I can't destroy him. I run a mono Black deck, and my Dark Banishings and Terrors were all worthless against him.

Perfect. Kill him Black Sun's Zenith.

Turn / Burn also deals with gods quite nicely. You most certainly can kill gods, and it's quite satisfying.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: There are 5 exile enchantment cards in standard, and 4 bounce to deck/hand cards as well. Not as many as I thought at first, but enough that they can easily be sideboarded in. In addition, board wipes basically make the dual color gods useless, since they then can't do anything and most of their abilities don't matter. Some have abilities not dependent on creatures, but most do.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: I don't have the money to get into Modern or Vintage/Legacy, sadly. Which is nice about commander. I only need one. Whereas other formats, I need 3 and 4 ofs, which can cost a lot.

I'm bitter because Standard will essentially just be M14 / Theros soon, and I liked RtR (especially as somebody who likes Boros and Dimir - Gatecrash had some great cards for that).

Also, I... proxy with friends, so money isn't an issue anymore.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

@jaken7 said:

Well the fact that he's indestructible means I can't destroy him. I run a mono Black deck, and my Dark Banishings and Terrors were all worthless against him.

Perfect. Kill him Black Sun's Zenith.

Turn / Burn also deals with gods quite nicely. You most certainly can kill gods, and it's quite satisfying.

Black Sun's Zenith is awesome, but I'm hesitant to stoop to my stepbrother's level and buy individual cards. xD

That card gave me a good chuckle. How utterly cheap and hilarious.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By JakeN7

@the_imperator: Yes but remember my cards were from the original set up to M10.

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:
@the_imperator said:

I'm bitter because Standard will essentially just be M14 / Theros soon, and I liked RtR (especially as somebody who likes Boros and Dimir - Gatecrash had some great cards for that).

I felt bad proxying decks that were actually competitive. But I might try proxying a Modern deck at some point soon.

@jaken7 said:

I was simply pointing out that in the context of standard, the Gods are that hard to deal with, if you know they are coming.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:
@the_imperator said:

I felt bad proxying decks that were actually competitive. But I might try proxying a Modern deck at some point soon.

I don't play in tournaments and I usually play with friends who don't care. So I don't see the point in paying for cards.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

I was simply pointing out that in the context of standard, the Gods are that hard to deal with, if you know they are coming.

Yeah, but f*ck standard. There are plenty of tournaments that aren't specifically standard. Your point does illuminate the fact that the block is balanced within itself, but it's still OP and inconsistent with the game up until then.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cooldes said:

@greatcaesarsghost: why is that your commander?!?!?!

You know playing from command zone doesn't activate his effects right?? as a commander... It's just a REALLY expensive 4/6 with no effect

*shrug* Its effect works. I play with my friends. I summon it, it has a token on it each time I summon it. That's how we've always played.

We also have free mulligans if you lack proper land, or end up with too much land.

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: what?? 1 mana for +3 +3 isn't OP??

In GREEN???? where things like trample are not only existent.... But common!

and it's green, so they'll always have the mana to quadruple giant growth any unblocked creature or any creature with trample.

That card literally carries decks.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have a good green/red deck, but don't play any more. Mainly cuz nobody else does.

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greatcaesarsghost:

Dude... It's fine in casual i guess if your friends allow it, BUT the card specifically says (if _____ was cast from YOUR HAND _____) and commanders don't come from your hand.... They come from the command zone

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_atomikill_:

Werewolves?

Xenagopodes? (it's when you have both xenagoses in one deck)

Devotion?

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cooldes: Um... Gruul? IDK, it's been a while like I said. All I remember (don't have em with me now, on vacay) but I do know for positive I have Gruul cards in there.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Cooldes said:

You know playing from command zone doesn't activate his effects right??

Not every card can be Oloro.

No Caption Provided

We need more cards like Oloro.

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cooldes said:

@greatcaesarsghost:

Dude... It's fine in casual i guess if your friends allow it, BUT the card specifically says (if _____ was cast from YOUR HAND _____) and commanders don't come from your hand.... They come from the command zone

Fair enough. I don't usually play with that deck, or EDH either way.

This works pretty well for a low cost EDH equipment deck
This works pretty well for a low cost EDH equipment deck

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_atomikill_: lol i was just asking like the kind of deck dude,

Usually some of the older green red decks are werewolf decks. If it is, i have a vampires deck, we can go all twilight and duel for bella.

But if there's no specific name for the deck, and it's just a Green red win deck, that's fine too.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By JakeN7

@Cooldes said:

and it's green, so they'll always have the mana to quadruple giant growth any unblocked creature or any creature with trample.

It's an instant. Only +3 +3 for the turn you cast.

Green is pretty well known for focusing on buffing creatures, so it makes sense that it would be Green. That's what makes Trample any good.

When are you ever going to have all of the Giant Growths that your deck has, in your hand at the same time? Who has ever done a "quadruple giant growth?"

No, a card like Blanchwood Armor carries decks.

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goblins decks with instant amps is what my red deck is all about. Your giant growth is pretty cool, it would be a pity if a red version of it existed. Mwahaha.

No Caption Provided

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: you know the user @flashgreatrrsigneveryone ? I know him irl, at the last FNM (that means JUST last friday), he TRIPLE giant growthed and placed 8th in the fnm... that card carries decks man... and esp green which is alreadyknown for huge creatures. ridiculous

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Cooldes said:

If you think that's OP, you must have Rancor.

No Caption Provided

I like control decks. You cast quadruple Giant Growth or any card like that (which is pretty lucky), I'll just Unsummon or Vapor Snag the creature as it attacks, then watch my opponent's face drop.