M.A.N.T.I.S. 90s Afro American Super Hero TV Show.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

M.A.N.T.I.S. is an American science fiction television series that aired for one season on the Fox Network between August 26, 1994 and March 3, 1995.

The original two-hour pilot was produced by Sam Raimi and developed by Sam Hamm. It stars actor Carl Lumbly. The show is unusual in that it depicts an African-American superhero.

The wealthy, mild-mannered doctor Hawkins is shot in the spine during a riot, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.

After losing a lawsuit against a police officer he holds responsible, he uses his company's resources to invent a powered exoskeleton that not only enables him to walk but gives him superhuman abilities.

Using a vast array of technology, including a large underwater lab and a hovercraft called the Crysalid to fly around the city, he assumes the persona of the vigilante "M.A.N.T.I.S." (Mechanically Augmented Neuro Transmitter Interception System).

There were a number of differences between the pilot and the series. For example, in the pilot, Hawkins wore a suit over the exo-skeleton, it lacked a skullcap, and the headpiece was larger. The setting was changed from Oceania City to Port Columbia, and all of the characters, with Hawkins being an exception, were changed.

The pilot featured Gina Torres as pathologist Dr. Amy Ellis, Bobby Hosea as reporter Yuri Barnes, and Wendy Raquel Robinson and Christopher M. Brown as a pair of African students studying under Hawkins.

In the series, the supporting cast was changed to John Stonebrake, Taylor Savage and Lt. Maxwell, with the plot being completely rebooted.[2]

The bulk of the series' run depicted the M.A.N.T.I.S. operating in a vigilante role, frequently pursued by police, and battling industrialist Solomon Box (Brion James / Andrew J. Robinson).[3]

Poor ratings led to an extensive retooling of the concept. Midway through the show's run, minor characters were jettisoned, and more fantasy adventure elements were incorporated into the premise, including parallel universes, time travel, super-villains, and monsters. In one particular episode, the M.A.N.T.I.S. is accidentally thrown 32 years into the future, where he finds that his own technology has been exploited to create a supercomputer that is being used to enslave the Port Columbia population. He destroys it and sets the human population free before returning to his own time.

In the series' final installment, Miles Hawkins and Lt. Maxwell are killed disposing of an invisible prehistoric dinosaur. John Stonebrake seals off the records and technology that had created the M.A.N.T.I.S., thus averting an apocalyptic future. While the title character's death was given a sense of finality, the story was left open in one respect: when Miles Hawkins returned to 1994 from the year 2026 (a 32 year difference), he did so precisely 32 seconds after his vehicle sent him forward in time, thus altering the computer-controlled future that his disappearance had led to. As such, Miles Hawkins, while dying in the reality that he returned to, was also sent forward in time to an unknown future.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't bad, it was sabotaged by the choice of poor/hack writers for many episodes and some sub-par SFX. Whereas Raimi and his prodco had spared no expenses with the crapfest of Hercules and all of its spin-off material, including the pseudo feminist used rectal thermometer, Xena.

If you imagine the character/helmet/outfit drawn by Jim Lee (they were trying to capitalize on Image stuff at the time) or Capullo, thre image in your head is not that bad.

Remeber that any cool character can be destroyed by a bad costume/props budget, or team of twin-hacks. Batman Forever is a good example. As is Elektra.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@jugjugbanks: I loved Mantis as a kid always wonder what the hell happened.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mickey-mouse
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@lukehero said:

@jugjugbanks: I loved Mantis as a kid always wonder what the hell happened.

Low Ratings.

because of hiring substandard staff writers, yes.

Terrible writing with good rating means you will stay on air forever.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: so you predict Arrow will make it past 6 seasons? *evil wink*

I mean Greys Anatomy and Gotham getting a new season.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't speak to Oprah approved narrative masturbation like Grey's Anatomy, but at least Gotham has attempted to make a "feel" and a "vibe" using a traditional character such as the Penguin be retconned without being COMPLETELY unlike the original character in a pol-correct way.

Whereas Grey's Anatomy, from the scenes that I hv seen, is merely a pathetic attempt to mix Ally McBeal with House, but taking out anything Ellen would object to.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BatWatch

I remember Mantis. I think I liked it, but I feel like I wasn't allowed to watch it for some reason. My mom was pretty restrictive when I was young. A couple curse words would have been enough to make if prohibited.