#1 Posted by Jonez120 (4707 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was younger I would do this all the time. Like ranging from once a week to once a month, and it was insane.

In case you haven't figured it out already by the terminology, in a lucid dream you are practically aware that you are dreaming, or at least dreaming that you are aware that you are dreaming, and can control the dream.

So I have become sort of interested in this as of late, and I decided to ask the common public a few questions on the phenomenon.

1: Do you believe it is real or do you think I'm full of shit? Because there isn't an actual way to prove it exists.

2: Have you ever had a lucid dream? How did that go?

3: What would you do if you had a lucid dream tonight?

PS- (If you feel lazy and don't want to answer any of the questions, I don't mind. But post one of Wolverine08's stupid gifs or something to pass the time because I don't want this thread to disappear instantly. Thanks for reading)

#2 Posted by Racob7 (5888 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Yes.
  2. I have lucid dreams now and then.
  3. Horrible things.
#3 Posted by Xwraith (19295 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never actually done it, but there have been a couple of times when I was aware I was dreaming (usually, it's because I was dreaming about Christmas when it was nowhere near Christmas).

But I have woken up from a dream that I wanted to keep going.

#4 Posted by scorpion2501 (6125 posts) - - Show Bio

When a lucid dream of mine ends I have sleep paralysis most of the times. I sleep on my stomach, so waking up with your face in a pillow not being able to move whilst choking is probably the worst experience ever. I try to call out to someone, or move my head, but nothing works. I'm just lying there, trying not do die... breathing like a maniac, only to find the already used air of that came out of my lungs.

I don't sleep on my stomach anymore...

#5 Posted by Jonez120 (4707 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by scorpion2501 (6125 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120: It's pretty bad. I rarely get lucid dreams anymore though.

#7 Edited by MaccyD (4503 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120:

1. Yup, read below.

2. Most dreams, actually.

3. Depends on the dream, but I usually mess around for the lol.

#8 Posted by The_Tree (7720 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure I came close to lucid dreaming once. I realized that I was in a dream, but before I could act on anything, I woke up.

#9 Posted by Stealth_Warrior (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

If i had i lucid dream i would swing around like Spider-man.

#10 Posted by JetiiMitra (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Real

Yes. It goes well unless I was having a nightmare and then forgot I was lucid dreaming. It goes back to nightmare in that case.

Whatever I felt like doing. Almost always involves fantasy out sci-fi, or whatever superpowers are.

#11 Edited by JediXMan (30894 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Depends on the dream.

I once had a dream where objects kept falling off a table, because the table had no friction (go with it). So I changed how physics work, and decided that they don't need to obey the laws of gravity.

#12 Edited by JakeN7 (12737 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120 said:

When I was younger I would do this all the time. Like ranging from once a week to once a month, and it was insane.

In case you haven't figured it out already by the terminology, in a lucid dream you are practically aware that you are dreaming, or at least dreaming that you are aware that you are dreaming, and can control the dream.

So I have become sort of interested in this as of late, and I decided to ask the common public a few questions on the phenomenon.

1: Do you believe it is real or do you think I'm full of shit? Because there isn't an actual way to prove it exists.

2: Have you ever had a lucid dream? How did that go?

3: What would you do if you had a lucid dream tonight?

PS- (If you feel lazy and don't want to answer any of the questions, I don't mind. But post one of Wolverine08's stupid gifs or something to pass the time because I don't want this thread to disappear instantly. Thanks for reading)

1. Of course. It's well documented

2. I used to dream every night. Haven't done so in years though. It was incredible, terrifying, titillating, and sometimes even maddening.

3. Devolve back to my inner 14 year old and f*ck everyone in sight. My lucid dreaming orgies are some of my favorite experiences, I sh*t you not.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (43578 posts) - - Show Bio

It's happened to me.

#14 Posted by JakeN7 (12737 posts) - - Show Bio

It's happened to me.

You were specifically mentioned in the OP. You are required to post dumb gifs.

#15 Edited by Wolverine08 (43578 posts) - - Show Bio

I'M THE BEST THERE IS, THE BEST THERE EVER WAS, AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!

#16 Edited by Jonez120 (4707 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by JakeN7 (12737 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Wolverine08 (43578 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Stealth_Warrior (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolverine08: Nope,your not Bret Hart so you are not the best there is,you are not the best that ever was and you will not be the best that ever will be.

#20 Posted by Ryagan (1209 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I do believe lucid dreams exist. That said, they can be very difficult to pull off.
2. I personally have never had a lucid dream, but I once had a dream in which I attempted to lucid dream, if that makes any sense.
3. I would probably try to fly.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (43578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolverine08: Nope,your not Bret Hart so you are not the best there is,you are not the best that ever was and you will not be the best that ever will be.

#22 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course I believe you, I have had them a few times myself - the problem though in my case at least is the fact that just because you know you are dreaming you cant neccessarily do whatever you want, I could influence it but my subconscious would decide how it was interpreted. For an example my first time having a lucid dream I thought "Heck yeah, I want to see hot naked people!", and for some reason as I walked down the road (in my dream) my fatass uncle sat there naked. Not quite what I had planned.

It might be possible to have more complete control with alot of practice but I haven't really tried practicing the ability, not a big enough fan of sleeping. :P

#23 Edited by swordmasterD (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually lucid dream if I dream wake up then go back to sleep making myself have the same dream even then my control is very limited and the dream last for a minute at most

#24 Posted by Strider92 (16721 posts) - - Show Bio

I only have lucid dreams. I can even forcibly wake myself up from them.

#25 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9603 posts) - - Show Bio

I have had a couple dreams where i realized I was dreaming, but I start thinking, what if I think of something scary and I wake up really fast every time.

#26 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22195 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't control my dreams even if I know its a dream, I am just along for some wacky ride.

#27 Posted by Jezer (3129 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my failed projects. I almost never even recall my dreams. Only time I lucid dreamed was when my carry-on luggage(with all my clothes) was forcibly checked at the gate and then lost by the airline. Had that "is this real life?" feeling for a couple days, so I had vivid dreams.

And managed to lucid dream by not opening my eyes after waking up from a dream(dont know how you purposely do this) and then rubbing my fingers slightly------which sped me up into my next dream. (Then I lost lucidity and now I dont even remember the rest of the dream)

Which is a legit technique.

#28 Posted by OverLordArhas (7793 posts) - - Show Bio

I'M THE BEST THERE IS, THE BEST THERE EVER WAS, AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!

Should have posted a Bret gif. ;p

#29 Posted by ARMIV2 (8671 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Definitely.
2. Quite a few. Most notable being a nightmare I had when I was a kid. I was getting surrounded me zombies when I just decided that I was done with it, so I simply said so and then everything kinda wrapped up like a movie scene. They all seemed pretty bummed and one zombie asked me if I was gonna try again later. Leaving that dream was also pretty interesting as when I left the studio door of my dream I walked into a white light, which has only happened so many times for me.
3. I'd do my best to give myself corndogs.

#30 Edited by Wolverine08 (43578 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Should have posted a Bret gif. ;p

#31 Posted by OverLordArhas (7793 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by _Atomikill_ (4309 posts) - - Show Bio

I only lucid dreamed once. I was about to be eaten by a giant spider, and (I sh!t you not) I thought it would be very handy to have a lightsaber- Mace Windu's, to be exact, since I just saw Attack of the Clones. The next instant I drew a lightsaber and stabbed the arachnid in the face. It was a good dream.