LRQ #5: So let's Talk About Michael Brown & Racism.

Avatar image for superlightning123
Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superlightning123

Is there ever a reason to riot? Although I don't appreciate a killing, I also don't appreciate people who use it as an excuse to loot and destroy. Being Black myself, I'm sorta obligated to make a reaction. But there are two sides to every story. Let's stop for a second and let the white folks speak. To the Caucasian Viners, when speaking to a African American, do you feel the need to be more nicer than usual? If so, does this stem from "White Guilt"? And do you feel like your privileged because of your skin color?

Discuss.

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Superlightning123

@pope052 @tparks @xlr87t3 @smxlr8 @mlunny1121 @vegandiet @jgames @kingant27 @houseshm @cerberus369616 @zhurong @darkbeam @ancient_0f_days @strangetales @blackice709 @mortein @havoc_wreaker @shot @gustofwind @deathhero61 @hunterzillas @jashro44 @awesomedude @dianaxkal@kazuma_bushi @the_man_with_questions @detrolord @highaccuser @annoyedimmortalspirit @death_spear @spiderman1997@ganymedeofthemyscira @evil_incarnate @killerwasp @jgames @web_flotsam @super_trunks555 @mlunny1121@marvelmaster300 @lvenger @sycomantis91: @king1_icon @jgames @uugieboogie @etheral_dreams @parryboy NighThunder @neongamewave @oreoassassin @justthatkid @ultragreenboy @dondave @agent41 Artyom @squares @oosupermanthathoeoo @wolverine08

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please stop tagging me in these threads. I really have no desire to discuss these kinds of topics on comic book forums.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a topic i dont touch

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, this thread will just cause an unnecessary heated racial debate; which will only end one way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds interesting.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uugieboogie
DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathHero61

Modern black people are a disgrace. The image they are currently providing just give people more reasons for whites or any other race thats not black to treat us like shit. Protesting is fine but beating on others, robbing others like i am hearing is going on in Ferguson(i could be wrong) is no moral justification even given the situation.There is police killing or beating on citizens for no real reason every other day. There is no damn protest then. There is always some guy sacrficing his life for another every other day Human beings hell including myself. Are shallow, hypocritical and silly beings who never realize the situation at hand. The true situation. The problem isn't racism. That bullshit will always be there as long as humans keep on acting like there is so much of a fucking difference between one another. The problem is that PEOPLE kill PEOPLE. Not guns, not video games, not anime(yeah thats right, media is attempting to bash anime as well) or gory tv shows or movies, not blacks, asians or another other damn skin color. People.

People say "We gotta do something about these cops" or "CNN and Fox is a bunch of slanders we should protest." or "Obama isn't doing crap about the horrible things that happen in our country" stupid crap like that. They always bitch and complain, rinse and repeat. Especially over the internet. But:

Nobody does jack crap in real life.

Me and you have dinner alright? Don't get any ideas tho. Someone walks up to us and tells us about the corruption and conflict in Ukraine, or other countries, or about how recently cops been doing stupid crap such as beating on random civilians for nothing, or how people in third world countries are starving while we waste time doing ice bucket challenges. One of us would say "Oh my thats terrible!" Then go back to eating like nothing is going on.Nobody attempts to contribute. What happened to people like MLK? He publicly went against racism and brought the human race together in a sense. He fought for what he believed in till he was killed and that brought change. There is nobody like him going for what they believe in, to a similar extent in this era. People simply bitch and complain, but don't attempt to go a step beyond writing on some construction paper with sharpie markers, and walking down the streets screaming.

No Caption Provided

But enough about how humans barely take action. Back to the topic here that you are clearly discussing. Micheal Brown and racism. But before i do let me go over your first post.

But there are two sides to every story. Let's stop for a second and let the white folks speak. To the Caucasian Viners, when speaking to a African American, do you feel the need to be more nicer than usual? If so, does this stem from "White Guilt"? And do you feel like your privileged because of your skin color?

I really want to hear what you mean by that. By god i need to hear what you mean by that.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uugieboogie
No Caption Provided

My first reaction after that comment

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

I'll bite. I actually wanted to post a thread on race relations asking people how we should approach it because I think it bears discussion.

To take your questions one at a time:

1. No, I don't think there is ever a time to riot. If you're rights are being suppressed to the point that you need to resort to violence, you better have tried absolutely everything else already for a long, long time and you better have a military objective in mind because otherwise you are just being a dick. It wasn't riots that turned white America around on race in the 60's; it was peaceful protest and compassionate, reasoned arguments that won the hearts and minds of Americans.

2. Do I feel a need to be nicer when talking to a black person? Not really, but I do feel like I'm walking on egg shells at times, and I find that I often find myself wondering about whether what I'm saying or doing will be misinterpreted as racist. I feel like I've heard so many accusations of things being called racist that weren't racist that I feel paranoid that anything I say with a remotely racial connotation might be taken the wrong way, and many white people I've talked to feel the same way. (notice the people who wouldn't touch this conversation above)

I've often found myself wanting to speak from the heart on an issue involving race with black people, but thought...nah, I'm not going to go there because I have no idea how they'll react. For instance, a black lady I work with once said, "The only reason people don't like President Obama is that he's black," and I thought...that's not remotely true. I know plenty of people who hate these types of policies no matter the color of who approved them, but am I going to risk this blowing up in my face and getting accused of saying something racist? Nope.

I've noticed this goes both ways though. I've been around black coworkers as they've been talking amongst themselves while I'm on the other end of the room, and they'll be telling a story, and when they get to the point where they are going to talk the crazy thing some white guy did, they lower their voice, not knowing I can still here them, just because they don't want to take the chance of me being offended, and this is sad. It's sad that we have allowed ourselves to be divided this way, but it seems to me that most white people have been told to be super careful what they say because it might sound racist and most black people are constantly on the look out for any signs of racism because they've been told that so many white people are racist. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, but I'm not sure how to combat it. I don't think we can heal as long as we feel we have to guarded with one another though.

3. I don't feel any white guilt. I'm not responsible for anybody's actions but my own. The idea of hereditary responsibility is fundamentally insane and racist by definition. I'm against any attempts to condemn anybody for the mistakes of some in their race.

4. I don't know. I guess the answer is yes, I definitely think there are advantages to being white, but I'm not sure if white privilege is any greater than any other racial privilege. It might be, but I think for every white privilege there is a corresponding privilege on the other side. For instance, a minority person can always play the race card in any number of situations. A minority person can usually get away with saying more things of a racial nature than can a white guy. There are plenty of programs especially designed to life up people of color. It might still be better to be white in the end, but I don't buy that it's a huge leg up.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please stop tagging me in these threads. I really have no desire to discuss these kinds of topics on comic book forums.

This.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

LEL.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@vegandiet said:

This.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is there ever a reason to riot? Although I don't appreciate a killing, I also don't appreciate people who use it as an excuse to loot and destroy. Being Black myself, I'm sorta obligated to make a reaction. But there are two sides to every story. Let's stop for a second and let the white folks speak. To the Caucasian Viners, when speaking to a African American, do you feel the need to be more nicer than usual? If so, does this stem from "White Guilt"? And do you feel like your privileged because of your skin color?

Discuss.

No I don't feel I should be nicer. Because I don't give a damn. And I don't have no white guilt. I'm proud to white, and just because white people back in the day has done some pretty bad things doesn't mean I should feel ashamed to be white. And HELL NO i don't feel priveleged because of my skin color. I work 60 hours a week, 5am-5pm, and I work hard, and never had anything handed to me.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post #8 gave me cancer

Parryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Asian and this I would love to get popcorn with.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: You Are An Intelligent Woman... I'm Interested In What You Have To Say.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't feel like talking about this topic. Sorry.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BatWatch

I think the moral of this story is that white people have been taught they are not allowed to talk about race.

In your responses, you have fourteen people who refuse to say anything on the topic, one person who said nothing of substance, two white people who gave you substantive answers and one black person who gave a substantive answer.

I'm feeling some racist tensions against white people now. Grow a spine people! Nothing gets solved by ignoring a problem.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By nefarious
No Caption Provided

My reaction when I saw this thread.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another of these threads, eh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are even scared to talk about racism.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think that black's over react to everything. not every crime that is white on black is racism. These people need to shut up and realize that rioting is hurting themselves.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there ever a reason to riot? Although I don't appreciate a killing, I also don't appreciate people who use it as an excuse to loot and destroy. Being Black myself, I'm sorta obligated to make a reaction. But there are two sides to every story. Let's stop for a second and let the white folks speak.To the Caucasian Viners, when speaking to a African American, do you feel the need to be more nicer than usual? If so, does this stem from "White Guilt"? And do you feel like your privileged because of your skin color?

Discuss.

I don't know why... but this line made me giggle for some reason.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

i think that black's over react to everything. not every crime that is white on black is racism. These people need to shut up and realize that rioting is hurting themselves.

Mmm. I think shutting up is definitely the wrong move. Finding a way to express themselves more effectively would be a better way to put it.

And "black's" don't overreact to everything. Some black people have over reacted would be more accurate. I suggest being wary of lumping people together.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Deathstroker

*cracks knuckles*

This will be fun.

"To the Caucasian Viners, when speaking to a African American, do you feel the need to be more nicer than usual?" Hell yeah. If I ain't nice to dem they gon' turn 'round, run to the govenvironment officy als, call hate crime, and shoot me.

"If so, does this stem from "White Guilt"?" If not wanting to be robbed or have my three year old shot is white guilt, hells yeah! The south will rise again!

"And do you feel like your privileged because of your skin color?" Of course! White has always been better than black! You ain't never hear of no awesomely powerful wizardeys in lording of the ringers named some'un the Black.

Send those fowl beasts back from whence they came!

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though:

"To the Caucasian Viners, when speaking to a African American, do you feel the need to be more nicer than usual? If so, does this stem from "White Guilt"? And do you feel like your privileged because of your skin color?"

1. F*ck no.

2. F*ck no.

3. F*ck no.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This thread needs chemo.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By NighThunder

im not going to touch this with a 100 kilometer titanium stick

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the OP raises some legitimate questions. I see no harm in him posting them. Outside of tagging people who don't want to get tagged, no one is forced into this thread or forced to leave a comment. I don't get the problem people are having with people posting threads in the Off-Topic portion of a website. I see worse on here, and I'm not talking about serious issues.

Anyway, no, I don't feel I need to act more nicer to anyone who appears to be a visible minority. I only feel compelled to be that way with people who appear to need help (vision/auditory/mentally/physically challenged and even then, only if they appear generally lost and confused looking).

I don't have white guilt. I did nothing wrong. Then again, I don't know if I am considered white. I'm female, so any guilt I might have would probably be offset in some way.

Yes, I would say there is a disadvantage for my friends who are not visibly considered white. I am pretty sure I've been given unfair consideration because I am viewed(for the most part) white.

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why Is Everybody Acting Like They Scared To Say Something?

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathhero61:

what I went was, do you feel you need to be nicer to a black person to avoid being called racist?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 juiceboks  Moderator

Loving them generalizations..

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DeathHero61

@deathhero61:

what I went was, do you feel you need to be nicer to a black person to avoid being called racist?

I'm black honestly speaking. And i don't just jump and call people racist. I call people racist when something clearly sounds racist or implies racism.

Watch these videos. They are funny as hell but some of the clips in there raise some good points.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol I am loving this thread.

Also, NO ONE is scared of posting. Comic vine is full of controversial and stupid topics. There comes a breaking point lol Heck, even I know this is just another topic about Michael Brown (already had a couple about it) that may as well end with offensive arguments.

Avatar image for ganymedeofthemyscira
GanymedeOfThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. Please stop tagging me in topics that do not have anything to deal with comics.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knowing who makes up the majority of this website I won't even attempt to seriously discuss this topic here. The ignorance in this thread is astounding.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By Cream_God

The protectors acted too quick in my opinion, no evidence of abuse of powers by the cop that shot Brown, but i understand that they've been bottling allot due to actual abuse and racism they've experienced

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think people just look for an excuse to riot and do whatever they want.

Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers