• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant-man on the other hand makes perfect sense and is an easy sell to Hollywood. He has a suit with gadgets that makes him super small. Tons of CGI. The formula looks like this Spiderman + Honey I Shrunk the Kids = Summer blockbuster that attracts tons of little kids and cross promotion and toys and games. It is a no brainer. No one is making movies to please the comic book fans, they are making them for all the people that will say "Normally I wouldnt be into (insert nerd title; Star Trek, Iron Man, Avengers,X-men) but it was really great!" Do the math. One comic book and they charge $3.99 times how many readers. Then take that same number of readers charge $12 for a movie ticket and you expect to make $80 to $100 million dollars that a Summer Blockbuster costs back? They cant make a movie for the fans they have to make it for everyone. And everyone can understand a comedy adventure called Ant-Man. ...Black Panther... most comic fans dont even care about him.

#52 Posted by BumpyBoo (7630 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: No, it is not that it is hard. To be honest, it is because if you want a reasonable debate then you approach it reasonably. But so far your attempts to draw me into an argument have come across as antagonistic, argumentative and dismissive. If you approach someone saying "This thing you like is worthless, prove to me that it isn't" and go on to act like you have won before the other person even responds, then don't be surprised if some people react negatively to that.

#53 Posted by therrieur (245 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: But civil war and those stories need a bigger universe, if marvel could have all their heroes uniting then fine but I really really don't think this will happen anytime soon, an animated movie Civil war would great but try having enough character to have a good cinematic movie.

#55 Edited by Pyrogram (34418 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: But civil war and those stories need a bigger universe, if marvel could have all their heroes uniting then fine but I really really don't think this will happen anytime soon, an animated movie Civil war would great but try having enough character to have a good cinematic movie.

Original ideas, is that too hard??

#56 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6040 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know enough about either of them to give a truly educated answer to this question. I think the only people could determine who 'deserves' their own film would be people who have read pretty much every important comic they have each appeared in. That isn't me.

Personally, I have never felt the urge to seek out Black Panther comics, but I feel drawn to Hank Pym, and therefore I will buy comics he's in when I can, and consider him to be one of my favourite Avengers.

Maybe the people at Marvel Studios just like Hank more, or maybe no-one's got any ideas of what they'd like to do with a Black Panther film. Maybe they don't think people would go and see it, or maybe they just don't want to for some reason.

My point is that we don't actually know why it is, and it might not be a question of who deserves it more, as that may not be how it works.

#57 Posted by BumpyBoo (7630 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Thank you <3

I can only speak personally, but the reason I am so excited is BECAUSE he is low profile, hasn't had his own comic etc. It will be different from all the obvious titles we usually have, you know? I am with @samimista, ideally I would like to see both. Even if this film is terrible, I am glad they are trying something new. Something different. And to me, that is Ant Man all over. Yeah, he gets a bad rap, he is not the coolest, most popular or most powerful hero. But I don't think these are necessarily bad things. It is an attempt to show non comic readers another part of our world, an attempt to broaden people's horizons and help them see that there are so many other characters out there.

#58 Posted by Samimista (20578 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: That's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to the movie as well. Plus, it'll give non comic readers the exposure to Ant-Man who's one of the original Avenger's. Even Blue Beetle I wish had a movie since he's been around since 1941 (I believe) yet non comic readers barely know him. Same thing can be said about Black Panther too. I hope Black Panther will get more attention. Like I said, I like both Ant-Man and Black Panther. I also wanna see Aquaman have a cartoon series (aware he had one in the past) with the art style similar to Batman: TAS. Even Flash I want to have his own cartoon.

#60 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@therrieur: Civil War...OR ORIGINAL STORY!. You know, it aint that hard to think of them, not at all.

A Civil War movie would be awesome!

#61 Posted by AmazingAngel (4022 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: If there is an Ant-man movie, then this could happen on film.

And this

And eeeewwww

#62 Posted by BumpyBoo (7630 posts) - - Show Bio
#63 Edited by AmazingAngel (4022 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: It's Edger Wright making a movie about an Ant-man who beat his wife, has a small man syndrome and excuse me VOMIT*, that last panel.

I'm pretty sure he'll pull something out.

#64 Edited by BumpyBoo (7630 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingangel: He has Joe Cornish on the project, I absolutely believe in him ^_^

#65 Posted by ComicStooge (11836 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Ant-Man, so I'm happy he's getting a movie.

#66 Edited by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple. Batman was successful and Ant-man's lame. This is all the argument you need.

#67 Edited by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that Ant-Man is a founding Avengers and has done important things in the Avengers mythos kills this whole argument. There's also the part where Black Panther is ummmm..you know, BLACK!

#68 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram:I'm sorry but a movie with Ultron as the villain would be freaking sweet, yes it'd be a take over the world movie but if they did it right it would be awesome. Also, what's wrong with take over the world movies? Just because it's cliche doesn't mean it won't be entertaining. It's marvel! They've always been the popcorn flick of comics let alone film.

#69 Posted by Pyrogram (34418 posts) - - Show Bio
#70 Edited by Pyrogram (34418 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

@amazingangel: He has Joe Cornish on the project, I absolutely believe in him ^_^

Ant man is a women beater? Never knew this! LOL

#71 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84378 posts) - - Show Bio

Founding member who's most recognized achievements are beating his wife and creating one of, if not thee, deadliest enemies in the Avenger's rogue gallery. I hate on Ant Man all day every day. I pass out cups of haterade so others can bask in my unmitigated dislike for this character. Someone should hire Taskmaster to kill him but then that would only lower the stature of Taskmaster. Bullseye thinks this dude is crazy. Mike Tyson use to watch Ant Man videos just so he could refine his own wife beating skills. Lacy Peterson was last seen with Ant-Man. Ant Man has O.J's other black glove. The song, "Smack my b!tch up" is Ant-Man's own personal national anthem.

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah, BP is the sh!t. He deserves a movie before Ant-Man.

#72 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram Black panther is awesome that's why he should get a movie. Ant-man sucks that's why he does not need a movie.

#73 Posted by YoungJustice (6649 posts) - - Show Bio

ANt Man>Black Panther

Ant Man has a much more interesting story to tell, it is also very easy to do, much easier than Black Panther.

Also, it could open up many opportunities for Avengers 3, Ultron being the most likely, while Jocasta could also be introduced.

#74 Edited by joshmightbe (24474 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant-man is a great character, for one he's got history having been around longer than quite a few heroes who have had their own movie, a somewhat unique power set, in the movies we've had people with super strength, people flying and shooting lasers out of their eyes and healing factors in abundance but you never see anyone with his powers, He's a better character than many of the people who've had their own movies, yea he's had his problems (He hit his wife 1 time in the 60s in the middle of a nervous breakdown and spent the next 40 years apologizing for it) But he admits to his short comings unlike Mr. Douchetastic.

#75 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG, BLACK F***** PANTHER?!

Never heard of it.

#76 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio
#77 Posted by Pyrogram (34418 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambler said:

Founding member who's most recognized achievements are beating his wife and creating one of, if not thee, deadliest enemies in the Avenger's rogue gallery. I hate on Ant Man all day every day. I pass out cups of haterade so others can bask in my unmitigated dislike for this character. Someone should hire Taskmaster to kill him but then that would only lower the stature of Taskmaster. Bullseye thinks this dude is crazy. Mike Tyson use to watch Ant Man videos just so he could refine his own wife beating skills. Lacy Peterson was last seen with Ant-Man. Ant Man has O.J's other black glove. The song, "Smack my b!tch up" is Ant-Man's own personal national anthem.

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah, BP is the sh!t. He deserves a movie before Ant-Man.

LOL!

#78 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio
#79 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio
#80 Edited by ShadowX (1192 posts) - - Show Bio

although i agree with the fact that i think black panther would be a more intresting film. lets discuss some things tha an antman will bring or could bring. antman didhave his oqn series or at least a mini series i think. it was caled ant man and wasp. although he was wasp at the time i think. so he has had a series. he createdultron which in turn created vision( i know you already said that but jus inclusing it as a whole) he was chosne to be the scientist supreme. you could includethe big house i think it was called. or maybe it was the raft. you could include the microverse as well which i think he discovered. you have numwrous other side characters to bounce off of. such as wasp scott lang, the other ant man. cassie lang a.k.a stature. and ultimately antman wouldnt only have to shrink and talk to ants. i think it would be great if they included his reverse ability to hlgrow as well. but only have it done halfway through tje film. make it this big surprise for non comic book fans. now like i said i 100% agree black panther should have had a movie first. i also tjink carol danvers should have ha da movie first to. but ant man still can make for an intredting film and i dont understand all this hate and bashing you are given the character. lastly i would like to apologize for any spelling errors i am using my phone and it is a hassle to fix.

#82 Posted by The_Tree (7078 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I like Hank more than T'Challa.

It also doesn't hurt that the movie is written by both Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright, and also directed by Wright, both of whom are fantastic filmmakers. Even though whatever Ant-Man may be less popular or important than T'Challa and his homeland of Wakanda, this movie's at least guaranteed to be a fresh and unique superhero experience. Plus, they've been working on this movie and teasing it for like four years, it deserves to see the light of day.

You also get Ultron and Janet with Hank, and who doesn't want a badass villain and another sexy lady for Avengers? ;p

#83 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think it matters at all if Ant Man ever had his own comic run. Its a movie and movie audiences wont know that. Black Panther would seem like a Black Batman rip off to movie audiences, while Ant man could be very comedic.

#84 Posted by God_Spawn (37184 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Pym. He sucks. He's a sh*t character. I can't see any reason to get excited for Ant-Man. Yawn. Boring. Lame. Vanilla. Ooo, awesome. He calls bugs and grows big!! Box office hit right there. F*ck Pym. I'm not a ridiculously huge fan of T'Challa either, but his backstory and what he does as a character and what makes up his character is far more exciting. His movie would have been a far better idea.

#85 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Up and at 'em! Atom An... Oh wait... That's a different character...

#86 Edited by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@pyrogram: Thumbs up mate

@buckshot

I know you don't usually post, but you would have to agree with this

don't you?

Hah, if there's one thing people should know about me it's that I'm contrary. Assuming I'm going to agree with something is almost a challenge for me to disagree. Though, looking at this thread, it was going to happen anyway.

From the title, "why black panther deserves a movie and ant man doesn't" I've got to disagree. I would love a Black Panther movie, but the character that deserves a movie is the character that's going to carry one, and that could be either. It's not so much the character as the story and how it's portrayed. Obviously that comes down to who Marvel pushes and supports with a good creative movie-making team, but I just don't like the idea of one character deserving it since either one could be presented well enough to. Black Panther may bring another corner of the world (though Ant Man could bring the microverse) and a new character type as a warrior king (though Ant Man as a scientist is different from Iron Man and brings that element) but any individual can be made interesting. The motivations and struggles of Pym could be just as interesting as T'Challa, and that's what matters.

As for the claim that Ant Man never had a comic (which seems irrelevant to me), I remember Kirkman's Irredeemable Ant Man being excellent. And in response to the claim that Black Panther is not even being given a chance, statements form Morris Chestnut earlier this month, as unreliable as they may be, suggest the opposite.

And the idea of Civil War in the movies makes me want to vomit. Not even getting into my personal problems with the story or characterizations, but it would require more characters and its an event we've seen. My personal hope for a future Avengers movie is a fight with Kang. There aren't too many ways to have a huge threat for this team (after "cosmic threat" has been explored), but a battle through time would be a different kind of big.

#87 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

Up and at 'em! Atom An... Oh wait... That's a different character...

Now an Atom movie, that would be cool.

#88 Edited by Dabee (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they both deserve a movie, but Ant-Man makes sense for the cinematic universe. If they want to introduce Ultron, which inevitably they must for the Avengers movies, they need to include Ant-Man or else the origin would have to be massively changed. I'm not saying I don't think a Black Panther movie would be awesome, but Ant-Man makes sense considering where their cinematic universe is going.

#89 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5391 posts) - - Show Bio

Why cant both characters get a movie? and antman has had his own solo comic

#90 Posted by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely agree.

#91 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I would want to see Ant Man if he gets to be Giant Man in the same film.

#92 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@vance_astro: Founding member without a solo comic.

Doesn't need one. He's important to a larger picture.

#93 Edited by pooty (10749 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram:@savagedragon said:

Black Panther would seem like a Black Batman rip off to movie audiences, while Ant man could be very comedic.

end thread. black suit. good fighter. smart. rich. child hood trauma. advance tech. prep master. who am i talking about? BP or Batman? we don't need two of the same. Especially since BP is black, he will look like a token copy cat.

#94 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84378 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: Thats like saying we dont need an Ant Man movie cause we already had Reed Richards in the FF4.

Genius level intellect, super powers, married, founding member of a team, can manipulate the form of his body. Who am I talking about? Mister Fantastic or Hank Pym?

:D I can do that too.

#95 Posted by TDK_1997 (14451 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bigger fan of Hank than a T'Challa fan.I wouldn't mind a movie about Black Panther but I just want to see Hank Pym and Janet appearing in the movieverse as fast as they can.

#96 Edited by Pyrogram (34418 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to those who have commented so far, been awesome.

#97 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17163 posts) - - Show Bio

ehhh i'm not a fan of either hank or BP, so i wouldn't mind which one of them would get a movie.

#98 Edited by Pyrogram (34418 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@vance_astro: Founding member without a solo comic.

Doesn't need one. He's important to a larger picture.

Counting Ultron yes, That is a fair opinion :)

#99 Posted by Pyrogram (34418 posts) - - Show Bio
#100 Edited by Irishlad (572 posts) - - Show Bio

<p>Ugh time to get on my soapbox.</p><p>Pyrogram</p> while I do agree Black Panther deserves a movie (and its not because hes black because we can all agree its a dumb reason to include a character just because of the color of his skin)we are really in no position to tell Marvel what they should and should not do. What makes Hank Pym fun and interesting is that he is incredibly motivated by science but has a sense of humour and a good heart. He is a founding member of avengers and many people felt upset when he was left out. We could potentially get wasp out of this movie as well as Ultron. Black Panther may very well show up as an end credits scene due to wakanda being a producer of vibranium. Not saying you didn't but many people who are quick to judge ant man have only read about him hitting his wife which was written horribly, I mean ant man trying to impress the avengers really? Lastly you never know the same thing as Ironman could happen with Hank only a select few knew and cared about Ironman until they put out a movie with him now he's one of the most popular marvel characters.