#1 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

Lion.

#3 Posted by Despero is the beginning (868 posts) - - Show Bio

Lion trumps Tiger as a combatant.

#4 Posted by A Touch of Class (ATC) (572 posts) - - Show Bio

The tiger may be physically larger (length-wise) and stronger, but the male Lion has the Tiger beat. They compared it on that animal vs animal show. The tiger having superior strength didn't help the tiger much, because when they compared a tiger and lion's blow to a machine covered in animal hide with the same thickness as a bull, they saw that the damage done per swipe was just about equal. The tiger usually goes for the throat to take down an enemy, but the mane acts as protection for the lion and when the tiger misses that throat kill the lion would go in for the kill.

#5 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
The Lion... 
#6 Posted by lagoon_boy (10954 posts) - - Show Bio
The Tiger.
#7 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" The Lion...  "
#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

When is that animal vs. animal show on? sounds cool. 

#9 Posted by lagoon_boy (10954 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024:  Its called "Animal Face-off"
#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@lagoon_boy: Thanks, I'll check it out
#11 Edited by lagoon_boy (10954 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024:  No prob, you can also check episodes, pre and post experiments  in Youtube.
#12 Posted by Despero is the beginning (868 posts) - - Show Bio
@A Touch of Class (ATC) said:
" The tiger may be physically larger (length-wise) and stronger, but the male Lion has the Tiger beat. They compared it on that animal vs animal show. The tiger having superior strength didn't help the tiger much, because when they compared a tiger and lion's blow to a machine covered in animal hide with the same thickness as a bull, they saw that the damage done per swipe was just about equal. The tiger usually goes for the throat to take down an enemy, but the mane acts as protection for the lion and when the tiger misses that throat kill the lion would go in for the kill. "
Not to mention that lions fight as part of their day to day lives (dominance and all, being "Alpha" as a douche-bag I know might say), while tigers are merely hunters. I will take soldiers over hunters in a fight any day.
#13 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

This fight already happened on YouTube. Gosh guys.

#14 Posted by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despero is the beginning said:
" @A Touch of Class (ATC) said:
" The tiger may be physically larger (length-wise) and stronger, but the male Lion has the Tiger beat. They compared it on that animal vs animal show. The tiger having superior strength didn't help the tiger much, because when they compared a tiger and lion's blow to a machine covered in animal hide with the same thickness as a bull, they saw that the damage done per swipe was just about equal. The tiger usually goes for the throat to take down an enemy, but the mane acts as protection for the lion and when the tiger misses that throat kill the lion would go in for the kill. "
Not to mention that lions fight as part of their day to day lives (dominance and all, being "Alpha" as a douche-bag I know might say), while tigers are merely hunters. I will take soldiers over hunters in a fight any day. "
They'll do anything to keep their territory safe,top of the animal kingdom,anything :P
#15 Posted by Fire-brand (2308 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, while yes, lions do fight a little more, it's hardly a part of their daily lives. most of their time is spent in what could only be called "lounging". tigers are larger and stronger, a bit faster too iirc. but lions have that mane to make the juggular hard to get to. i think the tiger would hold the advantage, but if he went for the juggular and missed the lion pretty much owns him. so all-in-all i would say the lion takes 6/10.

#16 Posted by nightcrawler1212 (532 posts) - - Show Bio

lion
#17 Posted by Despero is the beginning (868 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fire-brand said:
" Well, while yes, lions do fight a little more, it's hardly a part of their daily lives. most of their time is spent in what could only be called "lounging". tigers are larger and stronger, a bit faster too iirc. but lions have that mane to make the juggular hard to get to. i think the tiger would hold the advantage, but if he went for the juggular and missed the lion pretty much owns him. so all-in-all i would say the lion takes 6/10. "
More that a "little" more... Male lions may not be fighting life or death "day to day" they compete fairly often to establish dominance and for territory. Far more often than solitary hunters such as tigers.
#18 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Tiger they are larger, faster, stronger, more agile, and have a stronger bite force

#19 Posted by Fire-brand (2308 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despero is the beginning: while they often compete for dominance, it is actually rather uncommon that it breaks into an ll out fight. most of the time it is a big showy pissing contest. but you are right, they do fight more than the more solitary tigers.
#20 Posted by Daydream (2802 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despero is the beginning said:
" @Fire-brand said:
" Well, while yes, lions do fight a little more, it's hardly a part of their daily lives. most of their time is spent in what could only be called "lounging". tigers are larger and stronger, a bit faster too iirc. but lions have that mane to make the juggular hard to get to. i think the tiger would hold the advantage, but if he went for the juggular and missed the lion pretty much owns him. so all-in-all i would say the lion takes 6/10. "
More that a "little" more... Male lions may not be fighting life or death "day to day" they compete fairly often to establish dominance and for territory. Far more often than solitary hunters such as tigers. "
 
Okay...I wouldn't exactly call lions soldiers.

@Son_of_Magnus said:
"Tiger they are larger, faster, stronger, more agile, and have a stronger bite force "

This.
#21 Posted by Roddy010 (5250 posts) - - Show Bio

King of the Jungle FTW.....

#22 Edited by Despero is the beginning (868 posts) - - Show Bio
@Daydream said:

@Son_of_Magnus said:

"Tiger they are larger, faster, stronger, more agile, and have a stronger bite force "
This. "
  
  This
#23 Posted by Darkseid Elite (8424 posts) - - Show Bio

liger ftw 
   
#24 Posted by TigerWarrior (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkseid Elite said:
"
liger ftw 
    "


A male lion goes high with a female tiger 
 
Animal face off did this fight ones, the lion won. Here are all the other episodes: 

Shark vs. Crocodile - Shark wins 
Elephant vs. Rhinoceros - Elephant wins
Brown Bear vs. Tiger  - Bear wins
Crocodile vs. Lion - Crocodile wins

Black Bear vs. Alligator - Bear wins
Sperm Whale vs. Giant Squid - Whale wins
Walrus vs. Polar bear - Walrus wins
Gorilla vs. Leopard - Gorilla wins
Cougar vs. Wolf - Cougar wins
Anaconda vs. Jaguar - Anaconda wins
Hipo vs. Bull shark - Hippo wins

#25 Posted by progenitor (7541 posts) - - Show Bio

Depending on the type of Tiger, actually.  If we're talking Bengal tiger? It would probably kill a lion. 
 
Either way, the Snow Leopard drops in and kills both. 
 
   
#26 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio
@lagoon_boy said:
"The Tiger. "
#27 Posted by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fire-brand said:
" Well, while yes, lions do fight a little more, it's hardly a part of their daily lives. most of their time is spent in what could only be called "lounging". tigers are larger and stronger, a bit faster too iirc. but lions have that mane to make the juggular hard to get to. i think the tiger would hold the advantage, but if he went for the juggular and missed the lion pretty much owns him. so all-in-all i would say the lion takes 6/10. "
I spent 90% of my life doing what you just said in that paragraph. =D
#28 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Lions and tigers and bears oh my!

#29 Posted by Prince of Saiyans (2072 posts) - - Show Bio

Lion 
 
Tigers are hunters and must fend for themselves. 
 
But the sole purpose of a male lion is to fight. Iioness' do all the hunting, the male purely focuses on fighting others for dominance. 
Plus the mane of the lion is a big advantage. 

#30 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

Tiger is the only animal that frequently eats this worlds top predator aka us .so my vote goes to the tiger for having the top of the food chain as its meal course.

#31 Posted by Daydream (2802 posts) - - Show Bio
@Despero is the beginning said:
"@Daydream said:

@Son_of_Magnus said:

"Tiger they are larger, faster, stronger, more agile, and have a stronger bite force "
This. "
  
  This "

Because clearly a thereotical animation made for entertainment definitively ends this debate.
#32 Posted by MonsterStomp (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

Lions all day!

#33 Posted by PowerHerc (84035 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lion wins.

This was covered on Animal Face-Off.

#34 Posted by Rogan2112 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

It was covered POORLY in animal face off (as were most of the fights) in a highly odd, contrived, theoretical situation. There's no REAL way to know, but my money is on size, weights, strength, agility, and superior weapons (bite force) any day. Gotta go with the larger breeds of Tiger on this one.

#35 Posted by MonsterStomp (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not go for the one with most fighting experience and defence factor (mane)?

#36 Posted by RobocopSlayerT800 (2341 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fortanono said:

Lion.
#37 Edited by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

Lions are like the pride protectors their main purpose it to defend the pride from intruders like Hyenas, Other Male Lions etc. In other word they are built to fight constantly hardened by battle, where as Tigers were built to hunt efficiently, both cats are extremely strong and fast, and the fight will be by no means an easy one, i give the lion 6/10 and the tiger 4/10.

#38 Edited by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Tigers hunt for themselves. Lions make their b*tches do it for them. I'll go with the Lions.

#39 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@jumpstart55 said:

Lions are like the pride protectors their main purpose it to defend the pride from intruders like Hyenas, Other Male Lions etc. In other word they are built to fight constantly hardened by battle, where as Tigers were built to hunt efficiently, both cats are extremely strong and fast, and the fight will be by no means an easy one, i give the lion 6/9 and the tiger 4/9.

Your numbers add up to 10/9. 0___0

#40 Posted by MonsterStomp (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@spetsnaz_gru said:

Tigers hunt for themselves. Lions make their b*tches do it for them. I'll go with the Lions.

Stereotype! jks.

Male Lions can't hunt as effectively as their female counterparts, which is why the lioness must take the ropes.

#41 Posted by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

@spetsnaz_gru said:

@jumpstart55 said:

Lions are like the pride protectors their main purpose it to defend the pride from intruders like Hyenas, Other Male Lions etc. In other word they are built to fight constantly hardened by battle, where as Tigers were built to hunt efficiently, both cats are extremely strong and fast, and the fight will be by no means an easy one, i give the lion 6/9 and the tiger 4/9.

Your numbers add up to 10/9. 0___0

Oh yea, lol must of slipped my mind.

#42 Posted by GhostRider2 (3308 posts) - - Show Bio

Lions always win.

#43 Edited by Jezer (3129 posts) - - Show Bio

As of 2013: Tiger wins, as real life footage seems to show that they have a history of punking Lions.

#44 Posted by MonsterStomp (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer: And I've seen a female lioness punking 3 tigers in a cage. None of that is absolute.

#45 Edited by Jezer (3129 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterStomp said:

@Jezer: And I've seen a female lioness punking 3 tigers in a cage. None of that is absolute.

Post the video.

And yeah, of course it isn't absolute. But if I see multiple videos of tigers backing down lions, and am too lazy to do serious research(which I am) then I'd rather conclude that the a random encounter is most likely to go the same way as all the different clips in the video I posted above.

#46 Posted by MonsterStomp (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer: That facts turn toward Lions though. Born leaders, born protectors, I believe they have less chance of backing out of a fight than Tigers. Tigers are solo hunters. I wouldn't say any of the caged fights you see on youtube are absolute. I've seen a Tiger try and test its might by staring down a Lion that was just sitting naturally, the Lion didn't even flinch. I wouldn't trust any of the Tiger/Lion enclosures in China. That has biased written all over.

#47 Edited by Jezer (3129 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterStomp said:

@Jezer: That facts turn toward Lions though. Born leaders, born protectors, I believe they have less chance of backing out of a fight than Tigers. Tigers are solo hunters. I wouldn't say any of the caged fights you see on youtube are absolute. I've seen a Tiger try and test its might by staring down a Lion that was just sitting naturally, the Lion didn't even flinch. I wouldn't trust any of the Tiger/Lion enclosures in China. That has biased written all over.

What facts?

How does being a born leader or protector help a lion in this fight? Is it the same as how Sonic being "the fastest thing alivvvve" helps him in a race against the Flash?

How does the Tiger being a solo hunter work in favor of the Lion? The fact that a Tiger is a solo hunter means that it has more experience hunting and killing other animals because it doesn't have a pride that helps.

How is you seeing a "Tiger fail at staring down a Lion" absolute - compared to the videos of Tigers fighting Lions leading to the Lion backing down? How is a "Tiger failing at staring down a Lion" even evidence that it wouldn't win in a fight? There's no reason for me to trust your tentatively-related anecdotes compared to actual Youtube videos of Lions and tigers clashing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iig7XGsb8w

such as this video of a Lion attacking a Tiger. And the Tiger fighting this Lion while lazily laying on its back, throat exposed, until the Lion just straight up lays down right in front of it to pray to Mufasa.

Explain to me the bias.

#48 Posted by Bruxae (13893 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I believe a tiger is larger and stronger, but a Lion is better specialised for this fight.

#49 Posted by MonsterStomp (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer: You still compare caged fights. This was already proven on Animal Face-Off. Tigers have all the physical properties to Hunt. Hunting is based on the idea that the Tiger is the predator. Tigers don't hunt other predators. Lions fight other predators like nomad lions and Hyena's. Combat experience is everything. Have you seen a Tiger actually fight? They stand on their back legs and deliver light jabs. Lions are firmly balanced on 3 legs and deliver full blown swings. Thinking theoretically, a lion could knock a tiger off balance, go in for the kill shot. What more puts the fight in favor of the Lion is the mane. The mane makes the Lion look bigger and more intimidating, it also serves as a protective barrier.

Lions are pretty much built for fighting. Hunting and Fighting are different things.

#50 Posted by The Stegman (24436 posts) - - Show Bio
Online