Life

kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By kaliforniaa

Here's a common issue that many people have to deal with at some point in their lives.

How does one go about getting a job at a specific location they have applied to numerous times? While they keep applying at one place, they can try for others which may or may not help you gain experience for the position you apply to. Example: I have been trying to get a job shelving books at a bookstore chain in my area. For the past 6 months I have been volunteering at my library, doing the same thing I would at the bookstore, minus being a cashier. I have also worked briefly at a restaurant [they overstaffed so I wasn't fired, nor did I quit]. I would like to talk to the store manager, as they may like me even though for some reason my application hasn't been put on their desk, but if managers talked with every person that wanted a job, they wouldn't get their own work done. Also, every time you ask to talk to the manager about employment opportunities, you are directed to go to the website and apply online.

kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By kaliforniaa

CRAP!! So I tried adding to my first post but it wasn't scrolling down after a certain point so I tried starting a new post without closing out the old post, and when I went to add it, I lost it as the first post was still a work in progress. Technology SUCKS!

So I vaguely remember some more of what I wrote in my second post..

Something I like "saying" is, "You can't get a job without experience, and you can't get experience without a job."
The other thing I vaguely remember is that there are ways to kind of bypass the system, if you have connections, but for those of us who are anti-social, that seems like an unfair advantage. It's like some rich guy hiring his son to be the CFO of a company rather than someone else who spent years in school and worked their way up from the bottom to get to where they are now.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By King_Saturn
well... life's a biatch
Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well another thing is that you could always "Spruce up" your C.V. Example: you said you've been volunteering in a library, have you ever been left to work alone with another volunteer in any context? If so, you have supervisors experience. The restaurant you worked at, fine dining or greasy spoon? with the former you could say that you have a proven ability to deliver customer service to the highest standard. With the latter you could say that  you have experience dealing with stressful situations and rude customers and still delivering an excellent service. 

Obviously these aren't great examples, but I don't know the ins and outs of your work history, I'm sure you'd be able to find points that you could expand on and frankly, make sound better than it really is. Just be sure not to actually lie (And if you do, make sure it's not an easily proven lie) It's better to not have much on your C.V than to have a bunch of stuff that sounds great but is obvious BS.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AMS

When dealing with this type of management; 

Unless your a girl or guy that arouses there sex radar, know someone higher up in the food chain or have dirt on them or they owe you a favour then your basically being kindly told you've got no chance.  

Maybe if your lucky, real lucky you'll find that rare manager that will just decide to give you a break and say yes come on board. 

Your talking about being a book stacker, these people have no excuses, there aint no degree to take to stack books lol but I know where you coming from.   

The ''experience'' you need is bascially;  stand tall, feet shoulder width apart, bend your knees and keep your back straight while lifting boxes of books lol. Then stack them in the relevent areas.

I know how it is man, but seriously I know it may not sound ideal if you have your heart set on this job but you might as well try other places.  

Like you could be persistant and keep trying which would show you have a strong sense of determination and potential for loyalty but again it's a book store, it's pretty much wasted on them to be fair.  

I aint dissing bookstores as a whole cause not all of them are the same or your choice of job cause honestly it would be cool to sit around in one reading stuff and stacking is easy work and the discount would be cool but like do you get where i'm coming from? It seems you could do better for yourself, don't be disheartened, move on to bigger and better things!