• 112 results
Edited 11 months, 27 days ago

Poll: Legalize Cannabis (73 votes)

Yes 71%
No 34%

Medical Only

#1 Edited by GoldenOozaru22 (238 posts) - - Show Bio

I messed up, ignore what I said about medical only, I do not know how to edit this..

#2 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (25512 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. If alcohol is legal, I see no reason why Indo is any different, thus it should be legal.

Though to be frankly honest, both Pot and alcohol suck to me.

#3 Edited by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#4 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (11289 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by gor724 (836 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Edited by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_rog_el: Because its just another way for people to f themselfes up, just because one is legal doesnt mean they should both be. Maybe they should make alcohol illegal instead since that is like the sole argument weed enthusiasts seem to have. And before I get the argument that "Oh but its actually not dangerous/bad in any way if you know how to handle it." ill just say thats its extremely rare that someone -does- know how to handle it, even though everyone likes to -think- that they can.

While im at it tobacco should be illegal too, its just poison and while it might suck for current smokers imagine all the future generations that will live much healthier lives because of our tiny sacrifice.

So yeah, arguing that yet another useless drug should be legal just because others are is going in completely the wrong direction.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: you don't actually know all that much about marijuana do you? and the fact that you think that alcohol should be illegal shows that you really don't know that much about history either

#8 Posted by russellmania77 (15661 posts) - - Show Bio

Legal or not, its not stopping me.

#9 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Herpderp gateway drug slippery slope herpderp what's next crack heroin and meth herpderp somebody think of the children herpderp Mexican Cartels

Lay off, burn one, and chill.

#10 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I know plenty about both. Got a point or did I just strike a nerve?

#11 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5530 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I hate being paranoid about random testing at my job. LEGALIZE IT!!!

#12 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (25512 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@saint_rog_el: Because its just another way for people to fuck themselfes up, just because one is legal doesnt mean they should both be. Maybe they should make alcohol illegal instead since that is like the sole argument weed enthusiasts seem to have. And before I get the argument that "Oh but its actually not dangerous/bad in any way if you know how to handle it." ill just say thats its extremely rare that someone -does- know how to handle it, even though everyone likes to -think- that they can.

While im at it tobacco should be illegal too, its just poison and while it might suck for current smokers imagine all the future generations that will live much healthier lives because of our tiny sacrifice.

So yeah, arguing that yet another useless drug should be legal just because others are is going in completely the wrong direction.

But that's the point I was trying to articulate.

If you're going to ban one you should ban all, or if you're going to legalize one you should legalize the other. Banning one and legalizing one is faulty reasoning and makes zero sense. But as I said before, I could care either way, both Indo and alcohol are wack as hell to me.

#13 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#14 Edited by Extremis (3361 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't use it, but we are wasting our money and endangering people's lives by keeping it criminalized and putting people away for essentially nothing.

We could basically get it off the streets overnight and stop wasting tax payer dollars and institutionalizing "offenders".

Like I said I don't use it, but I'm under no illusions about it. Weed is no worse than alcohol. You can actually function after use so there's really no reason for it to be outlawed.

Once the government figures out how they can make money off it themselves, they'll legalize it. But mark my words, it will happen.

#15 Edited by Nightcraft (305 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: Well I agree with that. Im just on the side of banning both over legalizing both as unpopular as it might be.

#17 Posted by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25512 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: They tried that, it created organized crime.

I know full well about the Prohibition. I'm not saying alcohol should be illegal either. My point is, if alcohol is legal then why is Indo illegal? What makes Weed any different? I understand cocaine (Crack is one hell of a drug) but what is the reason behind Pot? IIRC (I could be wrong) Alcohol messes with your mind more then Indo does.

#19 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18368 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure. Then the country can tax it.

Don't really care either way though.

#20 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25512 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@dccomicsrule2011: Well I agree with that. Im just on the side of banning both over legalizing both as unpopular as it might be.

*shrugs* Fair enough. :P

#21 Edited by Wolverine08 (43577 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by russellmania77 (15661 posts) - - Show Bio

People that are against weed have no good arguments at all except for there own personal dislikes about it

#23 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: no not at all....alcohol was criminalized once before and pretty much everyone agrees that it was a horrible mistake that lead to more problems...plus you don't actually raise any points at all...all you say is that "it's just another way for people to f#ck themselves up" but then you go off on a tangent that doesn't have any point to the argument at all...so no it doesn't strike a nerve

also watch your language...there's no swearing on the site

#24 Posted by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio

While I can almost understand some of the points people bring up about legalizing weed, it's the people themselves that tend to make me disagree with this issue. Like Bruxae said, to me it just seems like another way for people to mess up their lives.

#25 Edited by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Well I dont agree, everything can be improved upon and done in a better way and I believe it would benefit everyone in the long run to have alcohol/tobacco/drugs whether it be weed or heroin of the streets, and that is why I went off on a "tangent" because I view all of them in a similar way, they mess your mind up in stupid and unproductive ways and there is absolutely no reason that it should be legal, rather crime prevention should be better to get it away once and for all. Humans are to stupid to control substances like that responsibly, except a very small percentage - but its not worth legalizing for those people when there's so many more that CANT be responsible.

And it does seem like I struck a nerve since you were coming off as hostile from the start, stating that I dont know about this or that with no reasoning as to why you believe that. But whatever, I have made my point and it stands.

#26 Posted by Nightcraft (305 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares: I can not agree enough with this, I wouldn't be so strongly against weed IF it wasn't for the people dealing or using it. They are some of the dumbest criminals I have ever met.

#27 Edited by GoldenOozaru22 (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw it!

Everything should be legal!!

It's a free country, yet the goverment is telling us what we can Ingest into OUR OWN bodies. How is that being free???

The next thing that will be illegal is sugar! Why , because obesity is killing many people, so the goverment has to blame something! They are evil and liars!

But yes legalize marijuana. It will only do good

#28 Edited by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw it!

It's a free country, yet the goverment is telling us what we can Ingest into OUR OWN bodies. How is that being free???

The next thing that will be illegal is sugar! Why , because obesity is killing many people, so the goverment has to blame something! They are evil and liars!

You, sir, are a master of satire.

#29 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Yes YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

#30 Posted by gor724 (836 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@goldenoozaru22 said:

Screw it!

You, sir, are a master of satire.

I think this argument thats about to start deserves one itself

#31 Posted by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@danhimself: Well I dont agree, everything can be improved upon and done in a better way and I believe it would benefit everyone in the long run to have alcohol/tobacco/drugs whether it be weed or heroin of the streets, and that is why I went off on a "tangent" because I view all of them in a similar way, they mess your mind up in stupid and unproductive ways and there is absolutely no reason that it should be legal, rather crime prevention should be better to get it away once and for all. Humans are to stupid to control substances like that responsibly, except a very small percentage - but its not worth legalizing for those people when there's so many more that CANT be responsible.

And it does seem like I struck a nerve since you were coming off as hostile from the start, stating that I dont know about this or that with no reasoning as to why you believe that. But whatever, I have made my point and it stands.

you do realize that prohibition started organized crime in this country and the sole reason that it exist to this day is because of the trafficking of illegal drugs...if the government were to legalize marijuana it would save an estimated 7.7 billion dollars a year in law enforcement costs and add an estimated 6 billion dollars a year if it were to be taxed in the same way that alcohol and tobacco is..not only that the medical benefits of marijuana far outweigh any made up problems that it causes...for instance it's been shown that marijuana actually kills cancerous cells in the body, it lessons the symptoms of tourettes, multiple sclerosis, seizures, adhd, ibs and crohns, while actually helping to prevent alzheimer's ...studies have also shown that drivers actually drive safer while under the influence of marijuana

#33 Edited by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@bruxae said:

you do realize that prohibition started organized crime in this country and the sole reason that it exist to this day is because of the trafficking of illegal drugs...if the government were to legalize marijuana it would save an estimated 7.7 billion dollars a year in law enforcement costs and add an estimated 6 billion dollars a year if it were to be taxed in the same way that alcohol and tobacco is..not only that the medical benefits of marijuana far outweigh any made up problems that it causes...for instance it's been shown that marijuana actually kills cancerous cells in the body, it lessons the symptoms of tourettes, multiple sclerosis, seizures, adhd, ibs and crohns, while actually helping to prevent alzheimer's ...studies have also shown that drivers actually drive safer while under the influence of marijuana

What studies? Where? Done by who?

#34 Edited by GoldenOozaru22 (238 posts) - - Show Bio

@gor724: haha, yeah people can definetly discuss that one.

Anyways weed= no deaths

While all other drugs have killed many. Even aspirin....

Legalize it!

#35 Edited by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@bruxae said:

http://norml.org/library/health-reports/item/norml-s-marijuana-health-mythology

1. Mellinger, G.D. et al. “Drug Use, Academic Performance, and Career Indecision: Longitudinal Data in Search of a Model.” Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. Ed. D.B. Kandel. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 1978. 157-177.
2. Johnson, L.D., et al. “Drugs and Delinquency: A Search for Causal Connections.” Ed. D.B. Kandel. Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1978. 137-156.
3. Schreiber, W.; A. M. Pauls and J. C. Kreig (February 5, 1988). “[Toxic psychosis as an acute manifestation of diphenhydramine poisoning]“. Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift 113 (5): 180–183. PMID 3338401.
4. Degenhardt, Louisa, Wayne Hall and Michael Lynskey. “Testing hypotheses about the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 71 (2003): 42-4.
5. King LA, Carpentier C, Griffiths P. “Cannabis potency in Europe.” Addiction. 2005 Jul; 100(7):884-6
6. Turner, Carlton E. The Marijuana Controversy. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1981.
7. Stephens, R.S., et al. “Adult marijuana users seeking treatment.” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 61 (1993): 1100-1104.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/17/economists-marijuana-legalization_n_1431840.html

#36 Edited by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@bruxae said:

Oh yes, because NORML is a totally trustworthy, unbiased source of information on this topic.

Anyways, the OP was talking about non-medical use. Why are you using only medical reasons to justify it's recreational legalization?

#37 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@bruxae said:

Oh yes, because NORML is a totally trustworthy, unbiased source of information on this topic.

read the sources

I seem to be the only one here actually making any points while anyone here saying that it shouldn't are pretty much just saying that "drugs are bad mmmkay" without actually backing anything up

#38 Edited by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@bruxae said:

read the sources

I seem to be the only one here actually making any points while anyone here saying that it shouldn't are pretty much just saying that "drugs are bad mmmkay" without actually backing anything up

The argument is about recreational use, not medical use.

#39 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@bruxae said:

read the sources

The argument is about recreational use, not medical use.

where in the o.p. does it say that?

#40 Posted by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by Jayso4201 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

While you may not agree with its use, there have been clear medical advantages to smoking a doob every once in a while. I'm not sitting here saying that you should sit around and puff all day and all night but as with anything moderation is key. I don't agree with the folks who have to have 20 drinks every time they crack a bottle, but that's the problem isn't it? People can't control themselves.

If marijuana were to be made legal and taxed properly the United States could pull itself out of its economic slump in a matter of years. Just another benefit.

#42 Edited by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@danhimself:

@goldenoozaru22 said:

I messed up, ignore what I said about medical only, I do not know how to edit this..

again show me where it says that we're arguing for recreational only

and if you can find that then I'll point out that More than 300 economists, including three nobel laureates, have signed a petition calling attention to the findings of a paper by Harvard economist Jeffrey Miron, which suggests that if the government legalized marijuana it would save $7.7 billion annually by not having to enforce the current prohibition on the drug. The report added that legalization would save an additional $6 billion per year if the government taxed marijuana at rates similar to alcohol and tobacco.

#43 Posted by Squares (7454 posts) - - Show Bio

If marijuana were to be made legal and taxed properly the United States could pull itself out of its economic slump in a matter of years. Just another benefit.

Am I the only one who finds this depressing?

#44 Edited by judasnixon (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

#45 Edited by JetiiMitra (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@jayso4201 said:

Am I the only one who finds this depressing?

No.

#47 Posted by SheenLantern (6790 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw it!

Better yet, make government illegal! It does more bad than pot.

#48 Posted by _slim_ (13242 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't matter to me.

#49 Edited by Wolverine08 (43577 posts) - - Show Bio

@silkyballfro94:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

#50 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@saint_rog_el: Because its just another way for people to f themselfes up, just because one is legal doesnt mean they should both be. Maybe they should make alcohol illegal instead since that is like the sole argument weed enthusiasts seem to have. And before I get the argument that "Oh but its actually not dangerous/bad in any way if you know how to handle it." ill just say thats its extremely rare that someone -does- know how to handle it, even though everyone likes to -think- that they can.

See the way I see it, basically goes like this: "If stupid people want to do stupid things, and they're not hurting anyone else, let them". I think we should make it illegal for certain people, like those who have children in their care. Perhaps print a special color coded circle onto their ID that lets you know if they have someone with "special needs" in their care (children, mentally retarded, etc.), and make it only purchasable with that ID. I don't like the idea of doing it myself but if they want to, in your words, F themselves up, it's their right to do so (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else) and they're honestly going to do it whether its legal or not. Mind as well cut into the street gang's profits and make the country a little safer while we're at it.