Languages or styles of martial arts

Avatar image for deactivated-57d57a3174063
deactivated-57d57a3174063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Would you rather know 7 languages fluently or know 7 styles of martial arts at a black belt level? Which languages or styles of martial arts would you choose?

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Martial arts- wing chun, judo, jiujitsu, karate, gunkata, nunchaku, how to fight with a bo.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine008

Martial arts. Would be a lot more fun to learn, especially if you pick a high paced martial art.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Languages easy. Beside my native tongue, English, I'd choose; Spanish, French, Japanese, Russian, Korean and Chinese.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Language its currently the best thing to choose in the current world except if the Z-Day will come in a few years

If so i will choose Kali(Blades)-Ninjutsu(assassinations)-Kendo(katana)-Shaolin(pole)-Aikido-Muaythai-WingChun

Peak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could potentially make millions with martial arts mastery...So I choose Muay Thai, BJJ, Wresteling, Judo, and Wing Chun. Those are the best options hands down.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Belt level? give me the languages. If you had said master, or sensei level, then absolutely the Martial Arts skil. But, there are plenty of people whom achieve their Black Belt, and aren't very skilled at all.

@peak: OP didnt say mastery, but black belt. Getting a Black Belt, while it does take some dedication...it does not take that much skill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hmm.. being able to swear in Cantonese or pressure points... tough one...

I would master 7 martial arts.

• Krav Maga
  • Boxing
  • Brazilian Ju Jitsu
  • Kendo
  • Systema
  • Karate
  • Aikido

Peak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork: That depends on which school you go to. I'm guessing he means UFC Black Belt standard. If so, mastering the five options that I displayed could make you a star in the UFC arena.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Martial Arts.

Wing Chun, Eskrima, Northern Praying Mantis, Capoeira, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do.

Peak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13 Lunacyde  Moderator

Languages. So much more useful in real life.

German, Spanish, French, Russian, Portugeuse, Japanese, Navajo

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peak: Yeah, i can get behind that. But, i just take people fairly at verbatim, in the OP. If its not specified, its not there. So, in my interpretation...we can either speak fluently, if the right combo of languages is chosen, with nearly half of the world...or, be mediocre at a handful martial arts styles. IMO, choose the languages for practicality and application, become a member of an MMA gym, and dedicate yourself to training.

Peak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork: Black Belt does not really equal mediocre. Plus 40% or so of the arts people list here don't even have a belt system :P

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not counting English

1. Spanish
  2. Mandarin
  3. Hindi
  4. Arabic
  5. Korean
  6. French
  7. Mongolian

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Languages

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peak: Black Belts, in today's standards, are failry mediocre as a group. Its always a case by case basis. So, there are exceptions, but exceptions never disprove the rule. You will not find a group of Black Belts, anywhere, whom are all deftly skilled. In fact, most black belts are 11-13 year olds, depending on the artform. And, yes there are plenty of martial arts that dont have a belt system, but they do have ranking, or seniority...things that are taken into consideration for an indivual's status...but, things that dont really indicate an individual's talent.

Im not trying to start an argument. Just saying that there is too much wiggle room in the OP, for the Martial Arts selection, in regards to having actual talent. OP says speak fluently, or be a black belt. 1st degree? 2nd? Sensei? Doesn't sepcify.

Peak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nerdork

@peak: Dont act ambiguous. Its not hard to decipher something pretty straight forward. If you have no retort...that's that. It's just a difference of opinion, and about the OP. So, its a non-issue. I was just trying to have a conversation, with someone whom i thought was up for a good, friendly disagreement. I'll leave you alone though.

Peak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Peak

@nerdork: I'm just lazy :P Watching the world cup right now.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Languages

i would love to speak my native tongue

1. Spanish

2.English (British)

3.Russian

4. Japanese

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peak said:

@nerdork: I'm just lazy :P Watching the world cup right now.

I'll leave you to it then... :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57d57a3174063
deactivated-57d57a3174063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I left everything very general and open so you can interpret it any way you like. But the main point is, would you rather know 7 languages or 7 styles of martial arts. You can decide based on practicality, application or if you just have a natural liking to learning linguistics or martial arts. Language fluency varies and so does the skill level of someone with a black belt. I didn't want to make it linguistics at a native level and martial arts at a master's level because that is just crazy. :p

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Languages are more practical and a better skill. Maybe work for United Nations. Travel the globe and be able to converse with these different people.

7 styles of martial arts? You'll probably main one or two and pick or choose a couple of moves from different ones. Pretty easy choice....This isn't comics; knowing 7 different martial arts isn't going to stop a someone with a gun.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

If I assume the level of martial skill I've shown with the ones I already know and add to them, I'd say martial arts. I'm not very linguistically inclined and even if I knew seven more I'd probably speak them poorly. I'm a better fighter than ambassador it would seem.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Languages:

1. English
  2. Spanish
  3. Japanese
  4. German
  5. Mandarin Chinese
  6. Hindi
  7. French
Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martial Arts

Krav Maga

Sambo

Free Style Wrestling

Eskrima

Kick Boxing

Muay Thai

Fencing

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martial arts I already know 3 languages and I am trying to learn another language.

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are you people really going to use martial arts for? I take it but it pales in comparison of knowing 7 languages. We wont be superheros or do super/peak human things like Batman. With 7 languages you'll get to explore the world with understanding.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are you people really going to use martial arts for? I take it but it pales in comparison of knowing 7 languages. We wont be superheros or do super/peak human things like Batman. With 7 languages you'll get to explore the world with understanding.

I could compete in a sport using the martial arts, and I've already learned another foreign language as a course in high school, and it was fairly boring to be frank. I love sports and I don't think martial arts would be much different.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

I think that learning 7 languages is better since you'll seem smarter to everyone, carreers that will get hired by an employer for having such a ability, communicate to other people that don't speak "Enrish" and can get along with the ladies. I'd pick Spanish, French, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Hebrew, and Swedish. I can go train with my friends on any martial art so as long I stay committed and have a good time.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martial arts easily.

Boxing, Shotokan karate, jeet kune do, judo, hapkido, krav maga, muay thai.

With all these martial arts mastered and under my belt, added to +15 years of what I already know, I would compete and make a lot of money in the professional ring.

Hell in the city I live in, I'd go full Punisher on foos if it weren't illegal. lmao

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardemon32 said:

I could compete in a sport using the martial arts, and I've already learned another foreign language as a course in high school, and it was fairly boring to be frank. I love sports and I don't think martial arts would be much different.

By this question it seems like you are granted the languages/martial arts instead of actually learning. And I don't think competing is nearly as much fun as exploring the world and different cultures. It's a lifetime experience vs an experience.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Languages. Unless people start fighting like they do in the movies, languages has its uses and you can actually talk to foreigners. Plus, chicks dig it :P

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Noone301994
No Caption Provided