• 189 results
#1 Posted by Dernman (14606 posts) - - Show Bio

I found this in a thread at GiantBomb. It led to a debate that is several pages long and there seems to be two camps posters fall into. 
One the kid was excessive and the other said the bully got what he deserved. I was wondering what people here would think about this.

You can find more details in the original article  Here

This is a Headline Summery

NAPLES — A 15-year-old who fatally stabbed his school mate will no longer face criminal prosecution.

A judge’s ruling, made public Tuesday, granted a motion to dismiss the second-degree murder charge against Jorge Saavedra in the death of 16-year-old Dylan Nuno on the grounds that he acted in self-defense under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law. The State Attorney’s Office has indicated that it will not appeal the ruling.

#2 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

i can understand if he had stabbed him once in a non vital area ( if he had no other option that is ) but stabbing him 12 times...........

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

What kind of bullying are we talking about?

#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

This was on GB for at least 3 days.

#5 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Bullshit.

That bully was an idiot, but that doesn't excuse murder. Punching someone in the back of the head is assault, but it's not deadly force. The kid proceeded to stab him 12 times which is ridiculous.

#6 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how the emotions of the kid were in that moment, but no matter how often you get bullied, mobbed, annoyed or whatever, nobody has the right to kill.
Also putting out a knife isn't the real deal. Actually I have no positive thoughts for those people. And no one should say "it was defense". There are many ways to defend himself (kicking his balls, surpricsing punch, even biting..).
Some people say "the bully got what he deserved". That's bullcrap. He definitely deserved a lesson, but no killing. Those things have no place in a contemporary civilization.

#7 Posted by Dernman (14606 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:

This was on GB for at least 3 days.

I didn't check how long it was there but I did say that's where I got it. 
@ReVamp said:

What kind of bullying are we talking about?

I believe it says in the article that's linked.
#8 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: Well obviously, I'm just not going to read it.

#9 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: Oh. >.>

#10 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I thoroughly believe being punched doesn't give you the right to stab someone to death.

#11 Posted by Dernman (14606 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

Tsk Tsk Lazy :p
#12 Posted by SuperTide (15600 posts) - - Show Bio

If someone punches another person for no reason then I have no problem with that person being killed. If I was in charge there would be a lot less bullies.
#13 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@ReVamp said:

Tsk Tsk Lazy :p

Lazy people rule the world.

#14 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperTide said:

If someone punches another person for no reason then I have no problem with that person being killed. If I was in charge there would be a lot less bullies.

So bullying is worse than murder?

#15 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperTide said:

are you sure you're not the long lost child of ...............

#16 Posted by SuperTide (15600 posts) - - Show Bio
@one_upper said:

@SuperTide said:

So bullying is worse than murder?

It wasnt murder, it was justice.
#17 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperTide: Justice is about equality. A punch =/= murder.

I really hope you're trolling me.

#18 Posted by SuperTide (15600 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing bullies is going too far?Ok how about this, how about when one person bullies another, the bully is put to work for the next 10 years and during that time 90% of the money they make goes to the person they bullied.How about that?
#19 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I would just like to point out that witnesses saw the accused made several attempts to avoid a confrontation and a fight, and he was pursued by the victim. It's not as though the accused is some kind of monster. Sure, stabbing 12 times is way overboard, but he did try and avoid a fight.

#20 Posted by SuperTide (15600 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect said:

I would just like to point out that witnesses saw the accused made several attempts to avoid a confrontation and a fight, and he was pursued by the victim. It's not as though the accused is some kind of monster. Sure, stabbing 12 times is way overboard, but he did try and avoid a fight.

#21 Posted by King Saturn (223716 posts) - - Show Bio
The Kid should have done some time... not Major time. Cause even though he was reacting at the moment of being Bully Footed by some Jerk... stabbing someone 12 times in reaction to it seems a bit Excessive. 
#22 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

So because he tried to avoid the fight gives him the right to stab the kid 12 times when the kid was unarmed?

#23 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Nvm didn't read through. Apologies.

#24 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to that  Stand Your Ground law now anyone in Florida can reply a nondeadly force with a deadly force, and get away with it. You punched me? BOOM headshot!  

#25 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who believes this kid should get off scot free is touched in the head.

#26 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@one_upper said:

Anyone who believes this kid should get off scot free is touched in the head.

People are retarded, and this so called Stand Your Ground law is a joke.
#27 Posted by King Saturn (223716 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
Thanks to that  Stand Your Ground law now anyone in Florida can reply a nondeadly force with a deadly force, and get away with it. You punched me? BOOM headshot!  

yeah, we don't play down here boy.
#28 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@one_upper said:

Just relax a little bit dude. It isn't like you were the person who was killed.

#29 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

@one_upper said:

Bullshit.

That bully was an idiot, but that doesn't excuse murder. Punching someone in the back of the head is assault, but it's not deadly force. The kid proceeded to stab him 12 times which is ridiculous.

A punch to the back of the head can be deadly. Depending on the angle and location of the punch, also how much force is used. Add in variables such as brittle bone disease (Which someone couldn't possibly know that person has), and you've got yourself a recipe for disaster.

#30 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

Kid should become the Punisher.
BB

#31 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperTide said:

Get a grip.

Sure, the kid was bullied, but stabbing someone at all, let alone twelve times, is unacceptable. There are plenty of other things he could have done.

#32 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

@one_upper said:

Killing is killing.

#33 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@spartan92 said:

i can understand if he had stabbed him once in a non vital area ( if he had no other option that is ) but stabbing him 12 times...........

Adrenalin+Fear+Knife

#34 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@one_upper said:

@RainEffect said:

@one_upper said:

Killing is killing.

Absolutely. I'm definitely against killing, and I think that the kid's actions were completely uncalled for - but the reason he got a softer reception is because of his mature decisions beforehand.

#35 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

@Larkin1388 said:

@one_upper said:

Bullshit.

A punch to the back of the head can be deadly. Depending on the angle and location of the punch, also how much force is used. Add in variables such as brittle bone disease (Which someone couldn't possibly know that person has), and you've got yourself a recipe for disaster.

True, but those are not likely circumstances and obviously he was physically fine as he proceeded to stab his bully 12 times.

#36 Posted by HolySerpent (12430 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I do believe in self defense.12x is excessive. He should have simply slit his throat, then it would have been only 1 time.

#37 Posted by one_upper (998 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

@one_upper said:

@RainEffect said:

@one_upper said:

Killing is killing.

Absolutely. I'm definitely against killing, and I think that the kid's actions were completely uncalled for - but the reason he got a softer reception is because of his mature decisions beforehand.

I understand him getting it easy. I'd even be okay with probation or some sort of punishment, but to let him get off with nothing is just going to lead to similar cases.

#38 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
@cyberninja said:

Are you still using  Windows 95 with a Dale Earnhardt sticker on it?  
#39 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Murder is murder. He should have been punished.
#40 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: it says in the article that he was showing the knife to other people on the bus. So its not like they were fighting and he picked up a random knife then stabbed him out of a frenzied adrenaline rush. He brought the knife with him for a reason, even though he did try to get away and avoid confrontation he could of pulled the knife out and told him to f@#k off as to try and scare him away.

#41 Posted by King Saturn (223716 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
@King Saturn said:
@cyberninja said:

nah... I got Windows 7 with a Herman Cain sticker on it. 
#42 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
@cyberninja said:
@King Saturn said:
@cyberninja said:

nah... I got Windows 7 with a Herman Cain sticker on it. 
#43 Posted by longbowhunter (6608 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! This is really something, I cant believe the kid got off. If anything good can come of this its hopefully ignorant, violent children read about this and think twice before starting shit with someone younger, smaller and weaker than themselves. I feel a bit of remorse for the family, but not the bully himself.

#44 Posted by Iron_Turtle (579 posts) - - Show Bio

Stabbing the kid 12 times was excessive. Should have used a bigger knife.

#45 Posted by LONGTIME (926 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
You don't believe in justifiable homicide?
#46 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@LONGTIME said:
@TheGoldenOne said:
You don't believe in justifiable homicide?
I don't believe in killing someone unless you absolutely had no other choice.
#47 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Self Defense right?

#48 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

"Well this guy walked in, and so I went up to him, and stabbed him 37 times in the chest." Sure it was Llamas with Hats, but this sounds a lot like that.

I think that this went overboard, stabbing him once maybe is excusable, but you can't say you didn't mean to fight after you stabbed someone 12 times.

#49 Posted by Project_Worm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio
@HBKTimHBK said:

"He was in my house, and so I went up to him, and stabbed him 37 times in the chest." Sure it was Llamas with Hats, but this sounds a lot like that.

I think that this went overboard, stabbing him once maybe is excusable, but you can't say you didn't mean to fight after you stabbed someone 12 times.

He didn't mean to fight he meant to win! In all seriousness though 12 times is alot... I would have simply incapacitated him (if I was in the mindset of believing I had the right to stab him). 

Was this at school? Why the hell did this kid have a knife?
#50 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

@Project_Worm: This was after he got off the bus, and he probably had it due to paranoia.