waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By waezi2
No Caption Provided

For a month(and a half) I will take a look at some of the comic-books written by Geoff Johns.

Some says he is a genius, who has only improved DC Comics. Others says that he ruined it.

What do I think? ... I'm actually not sure... So I will reread, as well as pick up new comics written by Johns and see if his genius is overshadowed by his mistakes, or if he might just be one of the greatest comic book writers of our time.

Reviews so far:

Stars And S.T.R.I.P.E.

JSA.

Beast Boy

JSA Classified 1-4

Flash part 1.

Flash part 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Haha, nice poster.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

People actually say he ruined DC?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: What specific errors? and why would you blame him?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: 1. That was not his call, 2. Considering how big that universe and mythos is, you can't start over from square 1, it needed to be rebuilt. Heck you just said it had a huge impact on the DCU, that's why it needed to stick around.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not a big fan of most of his New 52 work. Aquaman and Superman have been good though.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid said:

@captainmarvel4ever: No it honestly didn't. Alot of those events being crammed into a short period of time causes continuity errors. The point of the New52 was to make it easy for new readers to follow along the way the GL mythos were handled doesnt make that easy to do so, hell the way it was handled should make it hard for old readers to try to peice it out.

And I'm pretty sure Snyder is to blame for Batman mythos being the way they are. Now we have Grayson who I believe was Robin before Clark was even Superman.

If they wanted certain aspects to stay they should of created a longer time period or do what they did with Death of Superman. Retell old stories with different takes. Now we have the pre52 in someway still existing which has some of those same events that occurred.

It's practically just a mess.

It's true that the Green Lantern stuff is a little harder to get into, but it didn't ruin the New 52. The fact is that stuff needed to stay for the GL comics to work, and I'm glad they kept it.

Actually if you look at the timeline Superman came before Robin (not sure why that matters though)

No it isn't, those events still occurred just differently, so that they fit in with this continuity.

You also haven't explained how this "Ruins all of DC" so please, tell my why all the stories that I've read and liked are suddenly bad.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid said:

@captainmarvel4ever: Practically starts of with there being 3-4 Robin's. Tim being the first Robin or Red Robin if you'll say to have led a team known as Teen Titans. Whuch takes away from every TT member older then him already who could of been in there down the road if it was a complete reboot. Wally, Garth, Donna, Mal etc. Kyle practically goes straight to White Lantern meaning not really any history with the Titans specifically Wally and Donna.

Grayson never led the team because it wouldn't fit well into the timeline him being a teen when he became Robin. There goes the Titan history down the crapper.

I'm pretty sure someone did the math on when Grayson became Robin and Clark became Superman it Clark might beat by a few years though, could look into it.

Blackest Night, Infinite Crisis, Parralax Hal, Brightest Day, etc all happened in a rather thin timeline.

But whatever Johns had nothing to do with anything it wasn't like he begged for the mythos to be left alone cause he wants his writing to stay in continuity.

#JohnsIsJesus #PraiseJoh #GeoffIsLoveGeoffIsLife

Goeff Johns had nothing to do with the Teen Titns, that god awful train wreck is on Lobdell. Also you can't take the worst series of the New 52 and say that all of it is just like that, when you very well know that's the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Also as it stands, most of the Titans history is still unknown, so Dick still could hav had a hand in creating the Titans. DC is probably just trying to sort things out before giving the whole history, or deciding to scrap it for story purposes.

Like I said, it doesn't matter, because even if Robin came before Superman, that does not diminish the story in any way. The Superman comic I just read and enjoyed is not any less enjoyable if I were to suddenly find out, Robin came before Superman.

5 years is plenty of time for that to happen. Not sure if Infinite Crisis happened though, I haven't looked into that.

When did I ever say I love Johns beyond belief? I only asked why someone would say he ruined DC, and from the way you've been talking, it looks like the answer is ignorance.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Your taking what I'm saying in another direction.. I'm not blaming a bad comic run on Geoff Johns... I'm blaming the history of a team being messed up on him because of his inability to let go. To my understanding Lobdell wrote practically what he was told to write. Origin of a TT with a new direction. He tried to hint at old predecessors but what denied the opportunity to do anything with it.

If the DC Universe was completely rebooted there wouldn't have been a problem with legacy characters cause you could simply introduce them over time and not worry about Wally West being the same age as Damian Wayne or not being the first Kid Flash, or Tim never officially being Robin, and yes Johns is one of those responsible for it not being completely rebooted.

No a 5 years timeline is a bit hasty for Parralax, Blackest Night, and Brightest Day. But sure if you'd prefer not to focus on that read along with it.

It's easy to shout ignorance when you have both ears shut...

No, the history was messed up because Lobdell dropped the ball with the Titan's continuity and history. It's clear DC wanted to keep some of the team's history, but because of Lobdell that was mostly messed up. If a good enough writer really tried, they may be able to salvage some of the Titan's history. Geoff Johns had no say in that, heck the New 52 wasn't even his idea.

What's wrong with Wally being the same age as Damien (although it looks like he's actually going to be 17 now) and again, that has nothing to do with Johns, at all.

Not really, when you think about it those events could fit in fine. Again, even if they were hard to believe, that doesn't ruin the story at all. If the material is good, then it's still good.

I could say the exact same thing to you.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Like I said, the New 52 was not his idea, keeping the history was not his call. As I said earlier, that's not a bad thing, the Lantern mythos covers a lot of the foundation the DCU is built on, and it has a ton of characters that would take too long to re establish.

Again, not Snyder's call.

I have no idea what that means, but I feel like it's irrelevant to the conversation anyways.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

And the Batman fans all combusted.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Enjoyed the review. I'd eventually like to read Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. Courtney and the Shade are two of the only remaining characters with links to Starman. And with James Robinson leaving DC, I doubt we'll see much of Dickie Swift for sometime.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: No, leaving in the past tense, not the present.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Great picture of Geoff Johns.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter:

Going to ask a probably stupid question... who is Dickie Swift?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By longbowhunter

@waezi2: Oh, that's the Shade's real name.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool write up, and I think the format of one story issues can really work with some characters. Latest of course being Moon Knight. But you know, the hook and fish game plan keeps most people buying, I guess.

I look forward to your next article.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By waezi2

@ms-lola: Thanks. It's gonna take some time to write the next one, since I will look at JSA as a whole.

@longbowhunter: Told ya it was a stupid question. X)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@ms-lola: Thanks. It's gonna take some time to write the next one, since I will look at JSA as a whole.

@longbowhunter: Told ya it was a stupid question. X)

Nah, it's not a stupid question. The Shade's real name isn't common knowledge by any means.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By waezi2

Never read John's JSA sounds pretty interesting with the whole Hawk gone bad.

Weird to hear Teth being bullied, lol

If you are interested in seeing Hawk as a baddy, I highly recommend Zero Hour, where he(with Parallax) tries to restart the universe in order to create a perfect world. It's pretty good.

Yeah, Black Adam being bullied is a weird thought. And the sad thing is that Marvel first realize that Adam actually not evil when it's too late to try and reach out. He then tried to make up for this in the series called 52(which is also a very good series).

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great write up! You had me laughing about PG, especially. Your points about the JSA being bullies is kind of true, though. If a good guy does something wrong, it's chalked up to a bad decision, but when a bad guy does a good thing (over and over again), he's only a moment away from being a bad guy again.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Looks interesting, I do like Beast Boy a lot so i think I may give that a buy.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed both recent articles, but your write up on PG was top notch. Thank you.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MakkyD

Loving the history lesson on Geoff Johns. :)

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: How can you hate Ally Mcbeal.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: It's a TV-show that tells us, that its only okay to stare at attractive peoples body-parts, being an a-hole, kicking people in the crotch and holding a grudge against someone if you are a woman.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers