John Wayne or Clint Eastwood: Who's better?

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll John Wayne or Clint Eastwood: Who's better? (34 votes)

John Wayne 24%
Clinte Eastwood 76%

Who was the better American icon?

• 
AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clint Eastwood's the biggest bad-ass in the world.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Clint every day of the week.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

There's already a thread exactly like this one...

But I'll choose who I chose in the other thread, John Wayne. This coming from someone who has seen every Clint Eastwood movie multiple times, and about 90+ of Duke's movies..

During John Waynes life and after, he has always been looked upon as the man amongst men, and a true American patriot.

Clint Eastwood is close behind, but the Duke will always be Hollywood's top manly man badass.

Plus almost every John Ford + John Wayne movie outdoes just about everything Clint Eastwood has done. And that's something I garauntee that Clint himself would probably agree on.

Also, I'm pretty sure almost everyone who would immediantly say Clint Eastwood probably hasnt even seen more than 1 or 2 Duke films. Movies such as Red River, The Searchers, Hondo, The Quiet Man, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, True Grit, The Shootists are superb movies and easily rival The Man with No name Trilogy, Outlaw Josey Wales, and Unforgiven (Red River, The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance easily beats Clint's movies)

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clint Eastwood because of how he speaks out the side of his mouth in every movie he does.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clint, because he wasn't a racist

Avatar image for serpinethegreen
serpinethegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clint

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@modernww2fare said:

LOL. I wouldn't quiet say John Wayne was racist, just more of a man of his time. The way most people thought back then was no where near politically correct and to hold that against them is stupid. Besides John Wayne married nothing but Latino women, and was in great standing with the Black community in Hollywood. I've read about 3 different biographies on John Wayne and after reading them you clearly wouldn't think the man as some 'white power' racist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biteme_fanboy: I'm not giving an opinion on whether Wayne is a racist or not, but being a "man of his time" is not an excuse for someone being racist

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modernww2fare said:

LOL. I wouldn't quiet say John Wayne was racist, just more of a man of his time. The way most people thought back then was no where near politically correct and to hold that against them is stupid. Besides John Wayne married nothing but Latino women, and was in great standing with the Black community in Hollywood. I've read about 3 different biographies on John Wayne and after reading them you clearly wouldn't think the man as some 'white power' racist.

"I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.... The academic community has developed certain tests that determine whether the blacks are sufficiently equipped scholastically.... I don't feel guilty about the fact that five or ten generations ago these people were slaves. Now I'm not condoning slavery. It's just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and can't play football like the rest of us." -John Wayne, 1971

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@modernww2fare said:
@biteme_fanboy said:
@modernww2fare said:

"I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.... The academic community has developed certain tests that determine whether the blacks are sufficiently equipped scholastically.... I don't feel guilty about the fact that five or ten generations ago these people were slaves. Now I'm not condoning slavery. It's just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and can't play football like the rest of us." -John Wayne, 1971

You're showing me nothing new here. The quote you just listed is messed up as he is clearly labeling blacks as irresponsible race at the time.. but he isn't damning them to forever be below white people... Such as 'heroes' like Abraham Lincoln has done and what a typical 'racist' would think. It's not no where near a politically correct thing to say, but to say he's plain out racist is false in my opinion.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By modernww2fare

@biteme_fanboy: He's racist, buddy, "plain and damn simple" as you said earlier

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biteme_fanboy: He said he believes in white supremacy, buddy. He's racist, "plain and damn simple" as you said earlier

I disagree, so good day to you, buddy.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#13 frozen  Moderator
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@biteme_fanboy: John Wayne was most certainly a racist, he literally says as much:

"I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility''

In his opinion, even in the 1970s, he believed whites were a superior race to blacks because he saw them as smarter and more civilized. This is undoubtedly racist.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Straight-Fire

"Two pills I pop, 'til my pupils swell up like two pennies. I'm Clint Eastwood in his mid-twenties"

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with Clint Eastwood because of the movies I've seen with John Wayne, his acting always felt the same. Like I was watching John Wayne act like John Wayne.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Clint. John Wayne was a d_ck.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Clint inspired Jotaro

No Caption Provided

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clint every day of the week.

Wow. Wolverine08 lives! Good to see you around and kicking, guy.

As for the OP, Outlaw Josey Wales remains my favorite western genre movie to date.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

In movies and IRL: Clint.

Because Wayne to me is representing this polished glorified ideal that never existed beyond the screen. But a lot of people in the US seem to think that it existed and that everyone would be better off if the US returned to living in that vision.

Now, my respect for Clint as an actor and director remains, my personal view of him took a blow when he held his infamous ramble at a chair where Obama was imagined to be sitting. Partly thats because the whole setup was stupid for what was supposed to be something serious, and secondly because I basically disagreed with most of what he was complaining about.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Definitely Eastwood. But I didn't think it would be such a stomp when I clicked on the thread.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Penguin-Dust

John Wayne was a better icon meaning someone whose persona exceeds their reality, but Eastwood was a better actor and filmmaker. He also loves jazz which gets him bonus points in my book. Wayne is what most people think of when they picture the standard American cowboy; heroic, experienced and strong. Eastwood's portrayals have more substance and are closer to reality, but icons rarely have much to do with the complicated truth.

John Ford's The Searchers is an excellent western starring Wayne and should be seen by those interested in the genre.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

Clint. Wayne's movies bore me.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Stephen_Slick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clint Eastwood.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Acting ability Clint Eastwood

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clint Eastwood over John Wayne. Eastwood has been in Better Movies over a Longer Period of Time honestly.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Pretty sure Eastwood would have been inspired by men like Wayne

Killer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Searchers or Unforgiven. This is tough lol

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Wayne, but it's extremely close.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

Clint's actually a badass who swam through shark infested waters to shore from a plane wreck once. I am very convinced he can be as badass as his characters.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wayne is cool, Clint is cooler....