JEREMY LIN THREAD!!

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Cervantes

Finally a Jeremy Lin thread! For those who aren't in the know, here's a summary...

Harvard's Jeremy Lin lead his team to its best basketball season ever in 2009; after graduating, he went undrafted in 2010. Proving himself in NBA summer league, he was signed by the Golden State Warriors, but during the NBA lockout had no team. He went to the Rockets briefly, but was picked up by the Knicks in December. Only the fourth Asian-American EVER to play in the NBA, he finally gets a chance to start when Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudamire are injured.

He leads the team on a 7 game winning streak to 15 and 15 on the season with a loss to New Orleans (though Lin didn't get to take the final shot, which he would have needed to be fouled on to win, but his fans have seen him pull off last second wins before!), followed by a win over the defending champion Dallas Mavericks!

UNSELFISH PLAY IN VICTORY OVER THE KINGS:

BRINGS TEAM BACK FROM 17-POINT DEFICIT ON THE ROAD, VS. RAPTORS, WITH LAST SECOND THREE POINTER!

DALLAS MAVERICKS GAME, 2-19-12:

MORE TO COME!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The Knicks lost tonight.

Fatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Fatal

Is this thread honestly necessary?

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By geraldthesloth

Was only a matter of time.

TheBane2890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheBane2890

I'm from NY, and cheer for all NY teams, but the LINsanity has to stop. NBA isn't that great, and all the frontrunners jumping on the Knicks bandwaggon, should turn their heads to the better team that plays at the Garden, and that's the Rangers. They are in first place right now, and much like the Giants just did, the Rangers are going to WIN! Stanley Cup is theirs this year, and the Yankees will close out the year with another NY title! The Knicks are decent at best, and that's pushing it! NBA should of stayed done when the players went on strike. I know everyone in my family wouldn't of missed it, and I know hundreds more who agree!

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cervantes

I do think the lockout was stupid as I didn't miss basketball, oddly, since I used to love it. But Jeremy Lin is a very deserving rising star who wasn't even given a college scholarship and was roundly ignored. Now his unselfish play is such a sea change for the NBA that teams don't know what to do! The Kings were beaten silly with pick and roll over and over again - check out the top video...

And if the Knicks can beat the MAVERICKS with Lin and without Melo and barely with Stoudamire back, things look better for their future than ever. Team basketball - what a concept!

Oh, and they did lose today (2-21-12) to a fire-breathing Nets team: DERON WILLIAMS w/ 38 points, EIGHT 3-pointers, and the team 9 of 16 from beyond the arc, in the first half ALONE!! Rare, and it makes a 9 point loss is downright respectable...

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSheepHerder

Eh, he's okay.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

The Knicks lost tonight.

F@cking LOL

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By King_Saturn
Jeremy Lin is an Good Player... I hope he continues to succeed... just until he plays the Miami Heat. 
daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By daredevil21134

He's one of the reason nobody is talking about the Spurs 11 game winning streak.Actually we did get some love in inside the nba last night

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By SuperTide

I think he's great.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@TheBane2890 said:

I'm from NY, and cheer for all NY teams, but the LINsanity has to stop. NBA isn't that great, and all the frontrunners jumping on the Knicks bandwaggon, should turn their heads to the better team that plays at the Garden, and that's the Rangers. They are in first place right now, and much like the Giants just did, the Rangers are going to WIN! Stanley Cup is theirs this year, and the Yankees will close out the year with another NY title! The Knicks are decent at best, and that's pushing it! NBA should of stayed done when the players went on strike. I know everyone in my family wouldn't of missed it, and I know hundreds more who agree!

NBA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NHL.
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ReVamp

Always wanted to get into NBA, but never had the chance. How do NBA seasons work, are we in the start, middle or end of one?

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _Black

@Cervantes said:

I do think the lockout was stupid as I didn't miss basketball, oddly, since I used to love it. But Jeremy Lin is a very deserving rising star who wasn't even given a college scholarship and was roundly ignored. Now his unselfish play is such a sea change for the NBA that teams don't know what to do! The Kings were beaten silly with pick and roll over and over again - check out the top video...

And if the Knicks can beat the MAVERICKS with Lin and without Melo and barely with Stoudamire back, things look better for their future than ever. Team basketball - what a concept!

Oh, and they did lose today (2-21-12) to a fire-breathing Nets team: DERON WILLIAMS w/ 38 points, EIGHT 3-pointers, and the team 9 of 16 from beyond the arc, in the first half ALONE!! Rare, and it makes a 9 point loss is downright respectable...

Harvard doesn't give out scholarships to anybody. I would hardly call his play unselfish. He does score over 20 points most of the time, but he takes a lot of shots as well. He dishes out a good amount of assists, but turns the ball over more than anybody in league history. He's a good player, no doubt, but to talk about him like he's an all-star is absurd.

And any team can win one game over another on a given night, if the Knicks can string together some wins like this in the playoffs then that'll be something to talk about.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ReVamp said:

Always wanted to get into NBA, but never had the chance. How do NBA seasons work, are we in the start, middle or end of one?

I believe there is 82 games a season.It's begins in October and is supposed to end around Feb\March.The teams with the best records go to the playoffs to play a series.Which ever team wins 4 games out of that series is the winner and moves on to another round.The playoffs are split up by conference.(EAST AND WEST), The two teams that end up in the NBA Championship game have to win the finals of their conference.
_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By _Black

@ReVamp: Basically the middle of the season, it's almost time for the all-star break, which is the midpoint of the season.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@Vance Astro: @_Black: I see, thanks.

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By _Black

@ReVamp: No problem.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@_Black said:

Harvard doesn't give out scholarships to anybody. I would hardly call his play unselfish. He does score over 20 points most of the time, but he takes a lot of shots as well. He dishes out a good amount of assists, but turns the ball over more than anybody in league history. He's a good player, no doubt, but to talk about him like he's an all-star is absurd.

And any team can win one game over another on a given night, if the Knicks can string together some wins like this in the playoffs then that'll be something to talk about.

How ISN'T his play unselfish if he has a good amount of assists? Turnovers aren't due to being a ball hog (in his case), it's due to being careless with it. 
I don't know who is suggesting he's an All-Star but they've only lost 2 of their last 11 games with him on the court.They already have two all-stars and they were under 500 before Lin started getting some PT.
TheBane2890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheBane2890

@Vance Astro: said:

NBA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NHL.

really? .... Really? .... REALLY? I don't think so!

And why is the talk all about Lin when the real all-star on the team is Tyson Chandler. The Lin hype needs to end. He is only an average player. Yes he is a team player, but he is an average player on a decent team, that will barely make it to the play-offs if that!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@TheBane2890 said:

really? .... Really? .... REALLY? I don't think so!

The rest of the country does. 

@TheBane2890 said:

And why is the talk all about Lin when the real all-star on the team is Tyson Chandler. The Lin hype needs to end. He is only an average player. Yes he is a team player, but he is an average player on a decent team, that will barely make it to the play-offs if that!

Because what you're saying isn't even true.Both Melo and Amare are far better than Tyson Chandler.Chandler can't even score without Lin or another guard because he can't create his own shot.The Knicks may not make the playoffs but Lin hasn't been starting for the Knicks the entire season.They were under 500 before he even touched the court.They went on a 7 game winning streak with him and only lost 2 of their last 11.Don't know what you're talking about....
_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By _Black

@Vance Astro said:

@_Black said:

How ISN'T his play unselfish if he has a good amount of assists? Turnovers aren't due to being a ball hog (in his case), it's due to being careless with it. I don't know who is suggesting he's an All-Star but they've only lost 2 of their last 11 games with him on the court.They already have two all-stars and they were under 500 before Lin started getting some PT.

When you shoot over 15 shots and your name is not Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, etc. then that's not exactly being selfless. He's a point guard, he should have that many assists; he has the ball more than anybody on the court. He can play better and still has to grow as a player. He was criticized in their loss against the Hornets because he didn't pass it to an open Amare, instead he over-penetrated and threw up a shot on the final possession. The Knicks are playing much, much better since he has came into the lineup, but to get an assist a teammate has to make a shot.

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Lantern Prime

Like him but ESPN is overhyping this shi

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By geraldthesloth

Only reason I do really support him is because he comes from close to my neck of the woods. I love to see people from southern California get a big name.

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cervantes

@_Black said:

@Cervantes said:

Maybe I need something to take my mind off my home team -- the Blazers just lost a game to the Lakers were we scored SEVEN POINTS in the first quarter! And Oden must go...

: You're right on all points. Cheers on beating the Blazers; I have stopped following them: they never make the right trades, we just lost Brandon, and I can't get into them until the GM gets his head screwed on straight...

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By _Black

@Cervantes: At least they still have Aldridge. He'll be a 20 point, 10 rebound player for years to come.

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cervantes

Good point, _Black.

BTW, I'm going to post game highlights on the OP if they are TRULY STUNNING, otherwise, just post them as they come up here...

This one was a walk in the park. Next is against King James...!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By King_Saturn
this Asian American Sensation is Struggling Tonight.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@_Black said:

When you shoot over 15 shots and your name is not Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, etc. then that's not exactly being selfless. He's a point guard, he should have that many assists; he has the ball more than anybody on the court. He can play better and still has to grow as a player. He was criticized in their loss against the Hornets because he didn't pass it to an open Amare, instead he over-penetrated and threw up a shot on the final possession. The Knicks are playing much, much better since he has came into the lineup, but to get an assist a teammate has to make a shot.

Assists are based on who you play with.Lin scored that much because he HAD TO.When Lin started playing they didn't have Melo or Amare, two players who average over 20 points.I don't know how taking shots you're making at good percentage is selfish especially on a Knicks team without their two best scorers.I'm not saying he's the best player in the league or the best PG ever but you have to give him his props.He's the reason they are over 500 and the reason they've been winning their last few games.Also he wasn't criticized in the lost to the Hornets for having 9 turnovers..not because he didn't pass it too Amare down the stretch. 

@_Black said:

He'll be a 20 point, 10 rebound player for years to come.

Too bad he's not now....
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Static Shock
@Vance Astro: LOL @ Tyson Chandler. 
GST1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#31  Edited By GST1976

Lin is a pretty good player... What I found funny was the talk about how this guy wouldn't be considered special if he were a black dude. I call shenanigans on that, if for nothing else then the fact that making the Knicks relevant is pretty special in and of itself, as any NYer who remembers when the Knicks were a John Starks meltdown away from winning the Finals can attest, there is no team that gets NYC going like a championship calibre Knicks team. NONE. Not even the almighty Yankees...

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cervantes

@King Saturn said:

this Asian American Sensation is Struggling Tonight.

Yeah, they shut him with doubles. Carmelo wasn't shooting well - people gotta pick up the slack, or this continues. But the real story was the Lebron/D Wade easy penetration dunks! Knicks need to work on their defense, post haste!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By daredevil21134

I'm gonna laugh if he starts the for the All Star team next season at the point guard position over Derrick Rose.His hype is a thousand times worse than when Tim Tebow beat the Steelers in the playoffs

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By SuperTide

Him having a bad game tonight doesnt mean that his run is over.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Cervantes said:

Knicks need to work on their defense, post haste!

Looking at their roster, do you really think that team can play defense? o.o

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By _Black

@Vance Astro said:

@_Black said:

Assists are based on who you play with.Lin scored that much because he HAD TO.When Lin started playing they didn't have Melo or Amare, two players who average over 20 points.I don't know how taking shots you're making at good percentage is selfish especially on a Knicks team without their two best scorers.I'm not saying he's the best player in the league or the best PG ever but you have to give him his props.He's the reason they are over 500 and the reason they've been winning their last few games.Also he wasn't criticized in the lost to the Hornets for having 9 turnovers..not because he didn't pass it too Amare down the stretch.

@_Black said:

He'll be a 20 point, 10 rebound player for years to come.

Too bad he's not now....

I'll give you that. The Knicks really didn't have a scorer without Amare and Melo. I already agreed with Lin being the reason they've been winning games. And he was criticized for both actually. The Amare thing probably wasn't as prevalent as the 9 turnovers, but I blatantly remember some announcer criticizing Lin for missing Amare under the goal on the last or one of the last possessions of the game, where if they would've scored they would've gained the lead.

I don't know Aldridge's exact stats but he was an all-star this year. I was trying to instill some hope in the Blazers fan anyway...

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cervantes

That's what I'm saying! But they could at least play high school level defense -- take a charge or try a block. Even Lebron plays D... I just remember what a guy like Stockton, with basically the Mailman and nothing else could accomplish...

[That was bait, to get "NOTHIN'!" posts -- don't know why Malone didn't leave the Jazz sooner when he played there EIGHTEEN SEASONS with no championship!!]

GST1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GST1976

@Cervantes: Because his numbers would not have been the same without Stockton and he knew it. Karl Malone could not create a shot for himself in any way, shape, or form. If Malone was the "Mailman", then Stockton was the stamp.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@GST1976 said:

Lin is a pretty good player... What I found funny was the talk about how this guy wouldn't be considered special if he were a black dude. I call shenanigans on that, if for nothing else then the fact that making the Knicks relevant is pretty special in and of itself, as any NYer who remembers when the Knicks were a John Starks meltdown away from winning the Finals can attest, there is no team that gets NYC going like a championship calibre Knicks team. NONE. Not even the almighty Yankees...

Not "people", just Floyd Mayweather (a known racist).

@_Black said:

I'll give you that. The Knicks really didn't have a scorer without Amare and Melo. I already agreed with Lin being the reason they've been winning games. And he was criticized for both actually. The Amare thing probably wasn't as prevalent as the 9 turnovers, but I blatantly remember some announcer criticizing Lin for missing Amare under the goal on the last or one of the last possessions of the game, where if they would've scored they would've gained the lead.

I don't know Aldridge's exact stats but he was an all-star this year. I was trying to instill some hope in the Blazers fan anyway...

So then Lin isn't a selfish player right? He may make some bad decisions but he's not selfish.He gets everyone involved in the offense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Seriously, I'm getting sooooooo sick of hearing his name all over the media....I swear the Lin jokes are worse than Chuck Norris jokes.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@primepower53 said:

Seriously, I'm getting sooooooo sick of hearing his name all over the media....I swear the Lin jokes are worse than Chuck Norris jokes.

Lin jokes are better than Chuck Norris jokes...

GST1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GST1976

@Vance Astro: Dude I know said it before they played the Mavs...

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cervantes

@GST1976 said:

@Cervantes: Because his numbers would not have been the same without Stockton and he knew it. Karl Malone could not create a shot for himself in any way, shape, or form. If Malone was the "Mailman", then Stockton was the stamp.

Hehehe, exactly. BTW, Jeremy Lin has a famous "Jeremy" in his corner:

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cervantes

19 points, 13 assists, bloody nose from an elbow vs. the Cavs to turn the game into a 'W':

MARCH 4, '12 Can't get the W against the Celtics in overtime:

MARCH 20 VS. RAPTORS AGAIN - FOUR STRAIGHT WINS UNDER NEW COACH WOODSON. Very good approach by the new coach, but as a result the Knicks are playing TEAM basketball more than ever ( *gasp*) so the Lin thread is soon to end unless they make the playoffs, since now he and two other guys get 17 apiece and win their games by 16 lately! Good news, but Lin is not longer THE man...

C U LATER...MAYBE.