Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

The Empire Strikes Back

"No, Luke. I am your father."

In celebration of my 20,000 post (despite how late this post is... ignore the date; pretend with me that I posted this a few months ago), I’ve decided to continue my reviews of the Star Wars movie saga.

It may have been a long time coming, and I hope you all think it was worth the wait! Let’s get to it.

SPOILERS!!!

Again, no plot synopsis because, like always, I assume everyone has seen all six Star Wars movies.

Unlike A New Hope, this movie was not predominantly created by George Lucas (thank God). He neither wrote nor directed it. It was directed by Irvin Kershner and written by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan (who finished it after Brackett’s untimely death). Guess what? It shows. Know why? Here’s why:

Take notes, Lucas.
Take notes, Lucas.

This movie has some great dialogue and really shows a degree of freedom granted to the actors. Do you think Lucas would have let Harrison Ford say “I know” rather than the scripted “I love you, too” that he was supposed to say? Because I certainly don’t, and I think we can all agree that the choice to improvise was very, very good and leagues better than the script. Because it’s not just about the writer or just about the director: the actors have to add their own flavor, too.

Speaking of the actors: they have grown significantly since the first film. They are good actors trying to be taken seriously, for the most part. I actually cared about the character development. The story was interesting, consisting of multiple story arcs: Han and Leia, Luke and Yoda, Darth Vader on his own, and later the inclusion of other characters who have undoubtedly added to the saga. This movie shows the perspective of the villain, Vader, a lot more than A New Hope did. Not only that, but this movie has one of the most – if not the most – unexpected twist in all of cinema, which is still feebly copied to this day. Well acted, well timed, good dialogue, and it leaves an impact on the viewers as well as the characters in the story. “I am your father” is still one of the most memorable quotes in movie history. Amazingly executed.

It also features our muppet friend, Yoda. I joke, but I did like Yoda’s marionette-esque looks. He also goes into greater detail to the mysterious Force, which was frankly brushed over in ANew Hope. The entire training scene delves into the mystery of the Force and the unknown, shadowy past that his father, Obi-Wan, and Yoda all shared.

Very good.

Special effects:

Even better in some ways than the original. Lightsabers don’t look weird, and blasters look significantly better. Not only that, but the environments are spectacular. As I write this, I realize how... big this movie is. Genuinely big. No CGI, but actual on-location areas like Hoth look more stunning than... eh, sorry. No referencing prequels yet.

Outdated? Maybe. Still amazing? Oh yes!
Outdated? Maybe. Still amazing? Oh yes!

Not only that, but we get gigantic groups of Star Destroyers, including the Super Star Destroyer Executor. Yes, this right here is an example of using miniatures in movies, and to great effect. Dagobah was unique and interesting. Cloud City was also very nice to look at, from the very cloudy skies of Bespin, to the sterile yet artistic corridors, to the carbonite freezing chambers... just great. And unlike any other Star Wars movie, this does not have Tatooine, which I applaud. For a planet that’s supposed to be poor, crime filled, and the worst place on the outer rim, everything seems to happen there. It’s an over explosed planet in the movies and the EU, and not seeing it was a good thing.

The choreography has also improved.

... well, saying “improved” implies that there was any real choreography there in the first place. Seriously, am I the only one whose nostalgia goggles weren’t cloudy enough to obscure the abysmal fight scene that was Obi-Wan vs Vader? Yeah, it sucked and I thought it sucked back when I first saw it. Just saying.

But yeah, Luke and Vader’s fight scene is good. It’s varied, they move around a lot, there’s attention to detail... they even use the Force! Come on, that’s awesome. Now that I loved.

The Empire Strikes Back is one of the best movies in the saga. It doesn’t just contribute to cinema history (such as being one of the movies that led to the PG-13 rating), but is a good, enjoyable movie on its own. I will watch this movie when it’s on: honestly, I just... don’t do that with ANew Hope. I know, terrible of me. I just don’t.

Definitely recommend this movie, and I must stress this: buy the original. Don’t get the digital new releases; those are terrible.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for scruffynerfherder
ScruffyNerfherder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ScruffyNerfherder

Great review, JediXman. Your knowledge of Star Wars never ceases to amaze me. And I agree 100% about getting the originals.

spetsnaz_gru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By spetsnaz_gru

I love your review! This is publication-worthy.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Decoy Elite

Nice review. 
This is the best Star Wars movie IMO.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great review.

The thing that actually bothers me the most in regards to the changes is Boba Fetts voice,originally he just sounded so creepy and it fitted the character perfectly,but then they had to give him the Australian accent which just seems so out of character.

Do you know if you can get the original versions on DVD?

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Hehe spoilers for a 1980 film.

Great review though. It couldn't have been done by none other than you! I'm actually surprised you didn't do this years ago.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Great review.

The thing that actually bothers me the most in regards to the changes is Boba Fetts voice,originally he just sounded so creepy and it fitted the character perfectly,but then they had to give him the Australian accent which just seems so out of character.

Unfortunately, no, not anymore. Now you can't get the DVDs for anything less than a hundred bucks or so. It's ridiculous. The DVDs were a limited release kinda deal.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Great review, I'm glad someone finally pointed out that awefull fight between Vader and Obi-Wan in A New Hope.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Great review.

Unfortunately, no, not anymore. Now you can't get the DVDs for anything less than a hundred bucks or so. It's ridiculous. The DVDs were a limited release kinda deal.

Wow.

Okay.

Sherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sherlock

Nice one.A little late though since the movie came out the 80s

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Great review though. It couldn't have been done by none other than you! I'm actually surprised you didn't do this years ago.

Well, I intended to do this a few months ago, but I got busy and never got the chance to finish it.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@JediXMan said:

Well, I intended to do this a few months ago, but I got busy and never got the chance to finish it.

So was it just open on your browser for months or did you just start from scratch again?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@JediXMan said:

So was it just open on your browser for months or did you just start from scratch again?

Both. I did a brief draft, which just sat gathering dust. Then I edited it and added a lot more detail and information. It was, maybe, half this length. But that seemed too lazy and I never posted it.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Inverno

"George, you can type this s***, but you sure as hell can't say it." I am sure that was Harrison Ford said to George Lucas after reading his lines for New Hope I suppose. How corny would have been if they rolled with "I love you too" :P

Awesome review BTW.

Darksideanime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Such an amazing movie

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only Star Wars movie that was actually awesome.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lunacyde  Moderator

Now this is more like it.

But one of the best movies in the Saga? You mean THE best movie in that saga right? Possibly the best movie of all time?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely my favorite from the original trilogy. I really did not (still don't) like A New Hope. One of my least favorites in the entire series.