JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

In an effort to start doing some more “current” material – because some people don’t like it when I do old stuff; which I’ll still do, so screw you – I’ll review a movie that I just saw over the weekend. Will it be any good or will it be a stupid parody movie that I thought it would be?

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

This is about who you think it is: President Abraham Lincoln. We see the guy as a kid, fighting to protect his childhood best friend from slavers. Because he did this, the slavers decide to pull their support from Lincoln’s father and seek to punish him. And so, the guy kills Abraham’s mother. As an adult, Lincoln seeks vengeance on them, hunting down the man who personally killed his mother. However, the whole plan backfires when the man turns out to be a vampire who cannot be killed by a simple flintlock. With the vampire at his throat and certain death is imminent, Abraham is saved by a stranger named Henry, who takes him in and teaches Abraham how to fight and kill vampires, who have taken up residence in the South and are the main slave operators in the United States. Lincoln goes on a road to save the slaves and defeat the vampires once and for all – with powerful timeless words… and a silver dipped ax. Mostly the ax.

I actually rather liked the story. While it sounded incredibly stupid and flat out fan fiction-like, it was actually well done, with historical references and figures scattered throughout the movie that I had fun finding. It was actually probably the most original movie I have seen all year. It was an exciting and engaging story that still managed to be oddly original in a sea of remakes, reboots, and just plain stupid movies. Well done.

I think this was my biggest problem: the camera work. While the fight scenes were a lot of fun and exciting, the cameras are just annoying. Slow-motion only works SOMETIMES, but when combined with a camera that continually shifts position, it just makes my dizzy and the fights hard to follow. Part of me thinks that Zack Snyder would have done better – I’m not his biggest fan, but he has a knack for combining slow motion and a steady camera. But then the other part of me realizes that Snyder probably would have screwed up the rest and the movie just would have lacked that original flavor.

On that note, the choreography was rather nice. The ax-play was well done and a lot of fun to watch (the rare times I could see it in its entirety without the scene being cut back and forth… sorry). It was awesome.

The acting was surprisingly good. This was Benjamin Walker’s (Lincoln) first starring role and his biggest role. The guy did a good job, from the action to the drama. He did well and kinda looked the part when he got the beard. I also liked Dominic Cooper’s (Henry) role. I’m starting to like the guy, and this is by far my favorite performance of his (sorry, Howard Stark).

Overall, this was an extremely surprising movie. I walked in with extremely low expectations and I was blown away. Masterpiece? No, not really. Nor is it really ground breaking. But it felt very fresh and rather original to me. Have we’ve seen it before? Yeah we’ve seen parts of it before, but I liked the way the movie was presented, I liked the story, the action was good (though needed better camera work), and the acting was shockingly good. Yes, I liked this movie. I really liked it.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

All I want to know is HOW bad ass he is with that Ax...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Lunacyde said:

Very.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@JediXMan said:

@Lunacyde said:

Very.

Like chop up the Huntsman into sushi bad ass?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Lunacyde said:

@JediXMan said:

@Lunacyde said:

Very.

Like chop up the Huntsman into sushi bad ass?

Yup. Every fight scene was just plain awesome.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@JediXMan: My friend said the book was awesome so can't wait.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Lunacyde said:

@JediXMan: My friend said the book was awesome so can't wait.

I haven't read it, so I don't know how the book compares.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Great movie in my opinion as well. The only thing that got to be a little ridiculous to me is how some of the fight scenes started to seem ripped off from "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but hey I think it was effective nevertheless.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Inverno

I felt like this movie was really generic, even more so than Van Helsing and I liked that one.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@CaioTrubat said:

I felt like this movie was really generic, even more so than Van Helsing and I liked that one.

Really? Van Helsing sucked lol.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Inverno

@Lunacyde said:

@CaioTrubat said:

Yeah I understand why people don't like. Its a guilty pleasure for me XP. I didn't like this one very much for a simple reason: we don't see President Lincoln killing vampires until later in the movie, only some dude named Abraham doing most of the action.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@CaioTrubat: Fair enough.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@CaioTrubat said:

@Lunacyde said:

@CaioTrubat said:

Yeah I understand why people don't like. Its a guilty pleasure for me XP. I didn't like this one very much for a simple reason: we don't see President Lincoln killing vampires until later in the movie, only some dude named Abraham doing most of the action.

I get that, but for me, that made it better. I was hoping it wouldn't be some stupid movie with Abe Lincoln doing all the action. I'm glad it built up to one good climax.

_Son_of_War_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By _Son_of_War_

I loved the movie. It wasn't generic at all. Hell, there are very few vampire fictions that touch on the fact they hated silver. He didn't use garlic or stakes and the vampires weren't even vulnerable to sunlight for the most part.

However, at the end... Did Lincoln pull out a silver brass knuckle O_o

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@_Son_of_War_ said:

I loved the movie. It wasn't generic at all. Hell, there are very few vampire fictions that touch on the fact they hated silver. He didn't use garlic or stakes and the vampires weren't even vulnerable to sunlight for the most part. However, at the end... Did Lincoln pull out a silver brass knuckle O_o

Yup, it sure was.

Personally, I liked it, and I liked the explanation for the silver. That whole thing with Judas I thought was kinda good.

_Son_of_War_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By _Son_of_War_
@JediXMan
It's not the silver that makes it feel odd to me, it's the fact it was a knuckle styling. A nice would of made more sense in my opinion. It's just be nitpicking.

I tend to be that guy who enjoys movies that most people don't like. I liked The Van Helsing movie, and more recently Snow White and the Huntsman. Looks like that doesn't apply here though.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ShootingNova

Haven't seen the movie, but I read the novel and it was excellent.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By HolySerpent

Wow. Now im really considering seeing this movie. Im really surprise you liked it

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Inverno

@JediXMan said:

@CaioTrubat said:

@Lunacyde said:

@CaioTrubat said:

I get that, but for me, that made it better. I was hoping it wouldn't be some stupid movie with Abe Lincoln doing all the action. I'm glad it built up to one good climax.

I say one thing I liked though: I liked this ending better than the in book.

daviddavid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By daviddavid7

Hey, I've got a question about who the most powerful sith is. Some say that it's Palpatine, but I don't quite buy it (yet). I'm looking for conformation on who it is that's more powerful. If you want to look at what I've got, then check out my page.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By YoungJustice

@daviddavid7: This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, please do not bring threads extremely off topic, thank you.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

@daviddavid7: If you're curious about another topic, please just PM the user.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blood1991

The history didn't quite match up, but I did love seeing Harriet Tubman.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By charlieboy

I really liked this movie. The action was awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie was nonsensical and strange.

BUT WHO CAN DISAGREE WITH ABE CHOPPING UP VAMPS WITH A GUN-AXE?