Japan's Nuclear Crisis

riotman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By riotman
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110316/ts_yblog_thelookout/japans-nuclear-crisis-where-things-stand

We all know there was an earthquake in Japan and that their nuclear plants were hit. In this article they talk about best and worst case scenario. What do you think will happen if they do cool it down or if it has a meltdown and explodes which would release massive amount if radiation into our atmosphere. Post your thoughts
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

they'll cool it we're still a year away from 2012, so no worries from me

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jeanlucpicard

What I think they are doing is finding a way to keep the plant so they wouldn't have to destroy it. but thats just what I think. Uranium isn't cheap.
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warlock360
@hydrabob said:
" they'll cool it we're still a year away from 2012, so no worries from me "
lol
Zaterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zaterra

Sucks in Japan right now, I feel for them :(

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By nefarious

Poor Japan.

Avatar image for cypher_s_gambit
Cypher's Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cypher's Gambit
@Edamame said:

" Some say that this won't be as bad as Chernobyl in the Ukraine, but I can predict an increase in suicides, due to a possible economic downturn or collapse. This isn't to generalize about Japanese culture, but suicide is more common in Japan than it is in many other countries. "

It's only rated a scale 4 accident because the Rods haven't completely melted down yet. If one of those reactors has a complete meltdown it will be 6 times worst than the event of Chernobyl. Remember, Chernobly one only 1 ONE reactor. The Daiichi Plant has 5 or 6 reactors and 4 of them are in critical conditions. Reactor 4 is the one that uses Plutonium.

Cypher's Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cypher's Gambit

The 9.0 Earthquake wasn't all that bad considering the damage done by the tsunami, but even that won't compare towards the damage done if these reactors meltdown... entire Japan will become a microwave.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By isaac_clarke

Kudos to the brave men and women happily going on suicide runs into deadly doses of radiation to try and prevent catastrophe at these plants.
The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By The_Assassin_

The emergency shut off isn't working, something explodes once a day, Radiation is getting worse (Not Chernobyl bad but still bad), and most of the people working aren't expected to live long afterwards and that's IF they manage to fix the problem. 

10 U.S. Navy sailors were exposed to radiation a hundred miles away in a Carrier group and had to be an decontaminated. it was a months worth in an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the Japanese there, but this seems more and more like a hopeless situation. 

Cypher's Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cypher's Gambit
@Mikepool said:
" The emergency shut off isn't working, something explodes once a day, Radiation is getting worse (Not Chernobyl bad but still bad), and most of the people working aren't expected to live long afterwards and that's IF they manage to fix the problem.   10 U.S. Navy sailors were exposed to radiation a hundred miles away in a Carrier group and had to be an decontaminated. it was a months worth in an hour.  Don't get me wrong, I feel for the Japanese there, but this seems more and more like a hopeless situation.  "
The emergency shut off did work. All the rods have been cut off their reaction to another and dumped into the reactors, but the problem is,  those containment holding the rods generate constant heat which takes months too cool down after use. 3 of the reactors look pretty bad, but from the video footage, you can still see the green water containers in tact. Since there is no no power to pump water into the containers, the emergency team has been trying to dump sea water inside it.

Right now the Japan Nuclear crisis is rated a 4 while Chernobyl is rated a 7, but if the sea water method fails and the rods melt, it will cause extreme heat with in turn will cuase explosions and all 6 of the reactors will blow up being much more bigger threat than Chernobyl.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Cypher's Gambit said:
" @Edamame said:

" Some say that this won't be as bad as Chernobyl in the Ukraine, but I can predict an increase in suicides, due to a possible economic downturn or collapse. This isn't to generalize about Japanese culture, but suicide is more common in Japan than it is in many other countries. "

It's only rated a scale 4 accident because the Rods haven't completely melted down yet. If one of those reactors has a complete meltdown it will be 6 times worst than the event of Chernobyl. Remember, Chernobly one only 1 ONE reactor. The Daiichi Plant has 5 or 6 reactors and 4 of them are in critical conditions. Reactor 4 is the one that uses Plutonium.

"
The best thing to come out of this is if it made LA unlivable.
thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thegreatfour
@texasdeathmatch: Ah no! Not Canada! D:
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@thegreatfour: Haha aw, well I kinda like Canada.
thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thegreatfour
@texasdeathmatch: I live there. Good thing I`m not in any of those provinces. Still that`s a very BIG radius
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@thegreatfour: I just heard on CNN that the residual radiation is no more dangerous than microwaves, so I think we should be fine
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By cpt_linger

I feel terrible for these people, but they are a strong people and will get through this disaster until the next catastrophic nuclear disaster in Japan.
Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mumbles

GODZILLA

thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thegreatfour
@texasdeathmatch: That`s what they say! Ever read Day Of the Triffids? They said the solar eclipse was harmless, but the next BAM everybody who saw it, BLIND!
goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By goldenshot80
@Mumbles: Again. SERIOUSLY/??? Was the comment necessary?
Cypher's Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cypher's Gambit

I believe the news said that no body can walk inside the buildings where the reactors are because it is equal to having 10,000 X-Rays from your doctor within a single hour.

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@thegreatfour: Oooo I haven't, but I'll check it out. Right after I finish the Alchemist
The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Assassin_

British Columbia is F******..... And I actually like most of those states! except California (Not the people, just the state... well most of the people). 

wait... Washington is gonna be hit... I must save Bungie! To the MikeCopter!

stuamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stuamerica
@goldenshot80: 
Considering the increase in searches for Godzilla, I would say so.
Searches for Godzilla
Searches for Godzilla
So says Wikipedia.