#1 Posted by The Stegman (25961 posts) - - Show Bio

People are often saying how It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the "Seinfeld" of the new generation, and i will admit, i myself haven't seen a quartet of people as horrible and self centered (that being Mac,Dennis, Charlie and Dee) on television since Seinfeld itself 

so i ask you, which show is/was 

-Funnier 
-Has the better cast and supporting cast 
-And which main characters were more morally reprehensible 

also, do you think Always sunny will eventually gain the same level of respect Seinfeld has? if it hasn't already that is. 

vs
#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Funnier -For its time, Seinfeld. But some of the jokes are dated now. So right now IASIP. But Seinfeld's still wittier.

Has the better cast and supporting cast -Philly. Better in a way that they're sillier.

And which main characters were more morally reprehensible -Philadelphia no doubt.

#3 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19638 posts) - - Show Bio

Funnier- Seinfeld

-Has the better cast and supporting cast - Philly

-And which main characters were more morally reprehensible - Philly

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia wins for me.

I think IASP should get it's respect, but we have to wait and see when it's done if it'll gain that subsequent acclaim Seinfeld did.

#4 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13122 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, different kinds of humor. Can't really compare the two, I like them both for different reasons. 

However, the fact that the actor who plays Mac on Always Sunny gained extra weight for the latest season, HILARIOUS.

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Always Sunny. 

Seinfeld is terrible. 

#6 Edited by desperado_ (314 posts) - - Show Bio

NUFF SAID.

... I know its making fun of Friends, but its still awesome.

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (58293 posts) - - Show Bio

@desperado_:

making fun of Friends is awesome.
BB

#8 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10465 posts) - - Show Bio

Never watched Seinfield.....sooooooo Sunny wins in all three categories

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated Seinfeld and never understood why people acted like it was great, Always Sunny is funny Seinfeld was boring

#10 Posted by biggkeem89 (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

Sunny on all three, but I still love Seinfeld.

#11 Posted by Project_Worm (3521 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89 said:

Sunny on all three, but I still love Seinfeld.

Exactly
#12 Edited by venomoushatred1001 (12273 posts) - - Show Bio

Always Sunny in a CURBSTOMP. One episode of Sunny is funnier than the entire series of Seinfeld.

#13 Posted by one_upper (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

All the Seinfeld haters need to back down.

Always Sunny isn't that great.

#14 Posted by Voorhees100 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Funnier- Seinfeld by far, Always sunny is like taking Seinfeld...and kicking it in the head a few times, the jokes are less clever and more, obvious, and I find Seinfeld's wittiness to be vastly superior. 

Better supporting cast- Seinfeld again, I mean who is the supporting cast on Always Sunny? The Waitress? that's about it. 

Morally reprehensible- Always Sunny, the Gang do FAR worse things to people than the Seinfeld crew, heck, Dennis is a freakin' sociopath.

#15 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

There too different to be compared I think. After all Seinfeld is a sit-com and the laughs are lot more, tame than It's Always Sunny.

#16 Posted by JediXMan (31265 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both. But for me, Seinfeld is funnier. They also have a better and more relatable cast. But the cast of Sunny... they are horrible, horrible people, which is what makes it funny. Of coarse they're going to be morally reprehensible.

#17 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never seen anyone hate on Seinfeld until this thread........amazing.

Seinfeld was a show that changed the game. Always Sunny is funny, but lacks the consistency of being funny that Seinfeld had. I love them both, but Seinfeld was legendary

#18 Posted by The Stegman (25961 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle:  

Seinfeld was a show that changed the game. Always Sunny is funny, but lacks the consistency of being funny that Seinfeld had. I love them both, but Seinfeld was legendary

I agree, Sunny is funny, but during the time, Seinfeld did something that NO other sitcom did, by having ''mundane'' ordinary situations as plotlines, making their characters shallow and self absorbed (during the 90s, no other characters were like this.) and making them not ''learn a lesson'' by the end of the episode.  And thanks to ''Curb Your Enthusiasm" it shows that even today, that sort of humor is still funny.  

To me, Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom of all time, and on the top ten greatest shows of all time list.
#19 Edited by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:

@cattlebattle:  

I agree, Sunny is funny, but during the time, Seinfeld did something that NO other sitcom did, by having ''mundane'' ordinary situations as plotlines, making their characters shallow and self absorbed (during the 90s, no other characters were like this.) and making them not ''learn a lesson'' by the end of the episode.  And thanks to ''Curb Your Enthusiasm" it shows that even today, that sort of humor is still funny.   To me, Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom of all time, and on the top ten greatest shows of all time list.
Yes.....some of the awkward situations that happened in Seinfeld still apply to things people do in everyday life, just little sub plots and whatnot. The show was beyond positive praise....its unexplainable

I truly believe anyone that didn't enjoy the show in some aspect is empty inside
#20 Posted by The Stegman (25961 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: Completely agree.
#21 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Always Sunny is by far better the Seinfeld. Seinfeld would never make it was a tv show today, it was a product of the 90s that by some miracle lasted as long as it did. The only redeeming quality Seinfeld had was Crammer. I never understood the fascination with that show.

#22 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never seen Sunny before... Maybe I should give it a watch.

And Seinfeld is awesome.

Newman <3

#23 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Always Sunny in Philadelphia, no contest.

#24 Posted by lagoon_boy (10878 posts) - - Show Bio

Seinfeld all the way. There was just something about that show.

#25 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank solo's the last round

#26 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Frank solo's the last round

Most definitely. I don't know who'd take out Charlie though. Then again, Mac is a professional, so no clue how'd he go down.

#27 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator: The secret weapon 
#28 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@TheAnnihilator: The secret weapon

Oh god, no. Not them....disturbing images are now in my head......

#29 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator: You cant F with the Mcpoyles. Newman cant match that crazy on his best day :P
#30 Posted by HolySerpent (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched both shows and i have to say Sunny doesnt really get the recognition it deserves. But Seinfeld was much funnier to me. Seinfeld is one of my top favorite shows, only second behind Angel. I still watch it today, but the one episode I havent see that i really want to is "Bizarro Jerry"

#31 Posted by HolySerpent (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

Also off topic. Does anyone watch childrens hospital

#32 Edited by brc2000 (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Always Sunny is one of the better American comedies in recent years and is generally an excellent show, but Seinfeld pretty much changed my life and how I view things. I'm all for difference of opinion and all that, and I can understand some of the newer generation not getting it, but I just can't see eye to eye with anyone who actively dislikes the show.

#33 Posted by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both, but I have to go with Always Sunny.

#34 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5293 posts) - - Show Bio

Everybody Loves Raymond trumps both

#35 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Always Sunny is one of my favorite shows so it wins for me personally but I can see why people would appreciate Seinfeld, it is funny but It's Always Sunny's humor comes from stuff you couldn't even compare to Seinfeld so I don't see how you can pick one or the other in a fair contest.

#36 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Seinfeld is hardly funny.

#37 Posted by HolySerpent (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

Every loves raymond not that funny...

#38 Edited by The Stegman (25961 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`:  

Always Sunny is by far better the Seinfeld. Seinfeld would never make it was a tv show today, it was a product of the 90s that by some miracle lasted as long as it did. The only redeeming quality Seinfeld had was Krammer. I never understood the fascination with that show.

There's a show on HBO out right now called "Curb Your Enthusiasm'' it's created and directed by Larry David, the co creator of Seinfeld and follows the exact same premise,  it's been nominated for 34 Emmys, 9 Director's Guild of America awards, 4 Writer's Guild of America awards, And Five Golden globe awards, as well has having 8 seasons and plans for a ninth, and it's funnier than anything else on tv right now, So no, Seinfeld is not a product of the 90s, it changed the way sitcoms are written, and as shown by Curb, its formula is still just as relevant today. 
#39 Posted by HolySerpent (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol Now you know XD

#40 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5293 posts) - - Show Bio

@HolySerpent said:

Every loves raymond not that funny...

-_- Everybody Loves Raymond is godlike

#41 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: Yes you're right Curb is almost exactly like Seinfeld, but Curb does good because its on HBO, I don't believe it would do as well if it were on basic cable, just like I don't think Seinfeld would do well on basic cable today. Hell the only reason Sunny does well is because its on Comedy Central, it wouldn't last on the regular network channels.

#42 Posted by The Stegman (25961 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: The only reason Curb is on HBO is because they occasionally say naughty words like the "C'' word or put "God" in front of "d*mmit" the station has nothing to do with how good the show is, take away the cursing,and put it on TBS or something, and it would still be amazing. And Always Sunny is on FX...it only shows syndication on Comedy Central. 
#43 Posted by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Always Sunny, but it will always be compared to Seinfeld, and with good reason. Seinfeld did it first and did it better because even though its characters are pretty bad, they don't usually exceed the boundaries of expected human behavior. I know people who act (or have acted) like all of the main characters on Seinfeld. Only someone on hardcore drugs would regularly act like the characters on Always Sunny.