• 149 results
Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is war a necessary evil? (89 votes)

Yes 64%
No 37%
 • 
xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not sure anything necessary can be categorised as entirely evil :/

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@xnahtebx said:

I'm not sure anything necessary can be categorised as entirely evil :/

Well it could be, technically, as you said though "entirely" evil just adds another factor. What's evil and then lesser evil? A lotta words :P

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: To me evil is something ethically unjustifiable which has no merit whatsoever. Guess its all about personal definitions.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Evil is a matter of perspective. The end justifies the means.

This......is actually pretty insightful.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xnahtebx: I'e always thought that evil is a matter of perspective, but... I'm probably wrong, what action is evil to you? Outright evil I mean, without any justification.

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By xNahtebx

@pyrogram: No I think you are right. Evil as an out and out concept I am not sure I believe in anyway. Acts can be evil, maybe...like hurting someone for the sake of your own gratification, sadism, if I was going to find something evil it would maybe be something like that.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Pyrogram

@xnahtebx: You know working where I work, I've heard how some pedophiles justify their actions. They honestly believe they are doing it for the child (strangely enough) and see it as justified. Perspective is a powerful thing lol

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@xnahtebx: You know working where I work, I've heard how some pedophiles justify their actions. They honestly believe they are doing it for the child (strangely enough) and see it as justified. Perspective is a powerful thing lol

I find that very interesting. You know, Stephen King of all people would agree with you. Am a big fan of his and he always says the trick to writing a villain without making them cheesy is to bear in mind that most people see themselves as being in the right. People judge their own actions based on their own moral codes and experiences. Very rarely do people relish being the "villain", more often than not those who do harm believe they are justified in doing so.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xnahtebx: As they say. We're all the hero of our own story :P

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xnahtebx: I'd love to be a person who relished playing the villain though. Hahaha xD I can't imagine enjoying that shit :P

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Right? Lot of comedy potential there, hehe :)

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"NECESSARY" not "from a certain point of view". Like: oxygen is "NECESSARY" for you to live. If you look at it a certain way and try to not use oxygen, you die. So "NECESSARY" would mean that Humans and Earth need war. Not true. If we are speaking of modern warfare, it's fairly new in the course of human endeavors. Even armies with swords are relatively new. If you go all the way back to just bashing someone on the head with a rock, I guess that's been a human staple but none of this is necessary. In fact: if there is a sure fire way to destroy everything it's modern warfare. In that sense it would be NECESSARY to somehow stop waging war on Earth.. or else..

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War.. Slavery. Death. Are all necessary evils.

Avatar image for mollydanger2210
MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

Yes. There would be less death without war

So you want people to die?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_hammer said:

@noone301994: So they say... How will we ever change if we continue to believe this way?

There will always be bad people that get into high positions of power. Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Mussolini, etc. When people like that have control of large armies they will use them to get what they want. Even if every nation disbanded their military and threw all of our weapons into a furnace there would eventually be one man that came to power that would decide that it's his chance to rule the world. They'll start rebuilding weapons and attempt to take over other nations and others will do the same to defend themselves. It'll start all over. It's not a matter of, "well with that attitude of course it will happen you debby downer!" Umm... No...

"When you are powerful you take what you can, when you are weak you suffer what you must."

War does, and will always exist, so war is a necessary evil to prevent war.

So war prevents war!? Talk about cognitive dissonance.

Avatar image for deactived-1352151
deactived-1352151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mollydanger2210: Sometimes wars must be waged to prevent worse wars or conflicts in the future. If a country threatens to invade or destroy your peaceful country then you should go to war with them to prevent genocide or innocent bloodshed. Another example is the appeasement of Hitler. If the League of Nations just handled Hitler, like they should have, in the beginning, it would have prevented World War II. Instead, they were scared of war and by the time they decided to do what was "necessary" it was too late.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mollydanger2210: what @noone301994 says probably is "we make war that we may live in peace" as Aristotle put it, you can call it an oxymoron life is full of those.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By magnablue

@hylian said:

The population needs to go down significantly. War is a pretty effective way to make it happen.

Avatar image for deactived-1352151
deactived-1352151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: These past days, wow your post have got people really mad.. whats going on lol

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

If mankind is allowed to continue progressing on everyday life uninterrupted, then technology will evolve to the point where all jobs will be taken. Unemployment will go through the roof and society will collapse. Unless we just end up like the fat people from "Wall-E" first.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Neutrality helps the oppressor, so yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Realistically, World War 1 was just a dick measuring contest. War should never have happened.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

In general, yes war is necessary and evil. It's necessary because the only option available to deal with certain threats is violence. It's evil because it inevitably ends in innocent people dying.

In specific cases, war is not always necessary. For instance, the United States has no necessity requiring them to fly over to the Middle East, bomb terrorist groups and overthrow dictatorships which is a lesson I thought my generation learned from Iraq, but apparently, my generation is full of slow learners.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@amazingwebhead: They can never recreate human creativity with technology, they can I imitate it but it would never be the same.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@maccyd said:

@amazingwebhead: They can never recreate human creativity with technology, they can I imitate it but it would never be the same.

Bingo

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's not necessary as much as it happens but there are times when it is necessary so . . .

Yes, it is a necessary evil.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mollydanger2210: Sometimes wars must be waged to prevent worse wars or conflicts in the future. If a country threatens to invade or destroy your peaceful country then you should go to war with them to prevent genocide or innocent bloodshed. Another example is the appeasement of Hitler. If the League of Nations just handled Hitler, like they should have, in the beginning, it would have prevented World War II. Instead, they were scared of war and by the time they decided to do what was "necessary" it was too late.

You're brainwashed.

War isn't necessary or good for anybody except the warmongers who create the conditions for war and who profit from it.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mollydanger2210: Brainwashed? Okay so if another country invades an innocent one and plans to commit genocide then I guess going to war in self-defense wouldn't be good for anybody either?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That might be what is taught in schools but Hitler was mostly bankrolled and often supplied by American/British banks and companies. The Germans were driving Ford made trucks throughout ww2 and powering their tanks with gas from Standard Oil. This was all set up long ahead of time. Certain people and companies wanted ww2 to happen or else it never would have. Hitler was also very close with the Vatican and the Swiss banks which took most of the Nazi gold. Once we start to hold companies and banks accountable in the same ways we hold gov'ts or people accountable war will be a very rare thing.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mollydanger2210: Brainwashed? Okay so if another country invades an innocent one and plans to commit genocide then I guess going to war in self-defense wouldn't be good for anybody either?

Modern wars are a sham my friend. They are planned, incited and carried out to advance political/economic/social goals.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@mollydanger2210 said:

@hylian said:

The population needs to go down significantly. War is a pretty effective way to make it happen.

Who told you that the world was overpopulated and will those that clamour for population reduction volunteer first to die for the sake of the planet? How about you?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@mollydanger2210 said:

@hylian said:

Who told you that the world was overpopulated and will those that clamour for population reduction volunteer first to die for the sake of the planet? How about you?

Loading Video...

There are also many other studies about it.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evil is opinion. War can sometimes be necessary.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mollydanger2210 said:

Modern wars are a sham my friend. They are planned, incited and carried out to advance political/economic/social goals.

Be that as it may, you still didn't answer my question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Probably.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: You know the entire world population can fit in Texas right? Comfortably too.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994: but we are using too much. the world can't sustain all of our needs

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: Sure it can. In a couple hundred or thousand years we might have some problems but currently I think we are doing okay. We're just bad at equally distributing. Like in Africa there are places where there isn't enough food but in some places in America there is too much food (food that gets discarded) or in some places there isn't enough room, like Mumbai where the city has a population density of 29,650 residents per square kilometer, but then there are places like Mongolia or Wyoming where there is plenty of room.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By magnablue

@noone301994: there is also the fact that several people are being born each second. more than the percentage of people dying. the world won't be able to hold all these people in a few hundred years

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: In certain places we won't be able to hold all of these people but in most places it won't be that bad. Surprisingly I think in third world countries (poor nations) that is where the populations are significantly rising.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

I'd like it to be a "no" but it is not

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

@edamame: well, WW2 happened 'cause Hitler wanted it to happen...am i wrong? The germans even faked the Polish attack on the German base so that the war starts.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But i think it happened that way

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994: It is true that some places are a lot worse than others. But say that people do shift around to make places distributed better. We will also have to make homes for them. More food for those places. Over-population isn't a myth.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only when the other option is an even greater evil.