Is this scary?

one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By one_upper

Granted the news source reporting this video isn't one I consider particularly credible, and they are quite biased. However the point stands that these gatherings are ill-informed, ignorant, and possibly harmful to the nation. When like-minded individuals with radical points of view get together there is always going to be sensational claims and actions. 

Are our people (Americans) really this ignorant? Do they truly believe that Colleges are brainwashig institutions, and that books need to be burned? If so how many out there believe this? i am in no way saying this is what all Americans or Tea Partiers are/were like. Just curious how everyone feels about this.
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Wise Son
@one_upper: Yes, collectively we are this ignorant and bias. There are many people who feel like this I assume. They just might be a silent majority just now making an uproar as of late. Turk is right though, all education is brainwashing in effect so the dude's point about the books is moot. 
one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By one_upper

I guess the question I have now, is what constitutes as brainwashing? 

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By castleking

just the ignorance of america regardless of what political affiliation they are a part of.
the woman is just ignorant about the book burning simply b/c she doesn't agree on what is being taught.
i guess if we burned books on evolution  it would only effect biology classes to an extend. 

it just reminds me of the history books lessons of the dark ages and we know how that worked out, burning of books, novels, history and lets not forget the ppl.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wise Son

Education could be seen in a looser context as ethically brain washing. Brain washing as I see is a persuading, rather manipulating, someone's way of thinking through some means to some extent. Helping them to come to the desired conclusion. Yellow is only yellow because we tell everyone it is. So we agree upon it. Who's to say it isn't you know? Up until that point we just see another color. It's a poor example I know but you get the idea?

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By castleking

@one_upper said:

" I guess the question I have now, is what constitutes as brainwashing?  "

indoctrination and conforming to the collective view of a particular group in our case american society in my own words of course
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wise Son
@castleking said:
" just the ignorance of america regardless of what political affiliation they are a part of. the woman is just ignorant about the book burning simply b/c she doesn't agree on what is being taught. i guess if we burned books on evolution  it would only effect biology classes to an extend.   it just reminds me of the history books lessons of the dark ages and we know how that worked out, burning of books, novels, history and lets not forget the ppl. "
I think burning the books(and if possibly all forms of media pertaining to it) on evolution would affect more then just biology classes. I think it'd be open season on all atheist, agnostics, and evolution supporting theists. The irreligious people loose footing. Could lead to a society where the seperation of church and state are a bit more blurred. I think it could make us take a down turn as a society. 
one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By one_upper
@Wise Son said:
" Education could be seen in a looser context as ethically brain washing. Brain washing as I see is a persuading, rather manipulating, someone's way of thinking through some means to some extent. Helping them to come to the desired conclusion. Yellow is only yellow because we tell everyone it is. So we agree upon it. Who's to say it isn't you know? Up until that point we just see another color. It's a poor example I know but you get the idea? "
Right. For a method of communication to work, all those who use it must agree to represent things by the same symbol whether it be a word, motion, gesture, written symbol, etc.  

It changes peoples's way of thinking, but it doesn't let you control how they change their way of thinking. 
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wise Son
@castleking said:
"  @one_upper said:

" I guess the question I have now, is what constitutes as brainwashing?  "

indoctrination and conforming to the collective view of a particular group in our case american society in my own words of course "
Dead on. 
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wise Son
@one_upper said:
" @Wise Son said:
" Education could be seen in a looser context as ethically brain washing. Brain washing as I see is a persuading, rather manipulating, someone's way of thinking through some means to some extent. Helping them to come to the desired conclusion. Yellow is only yellow because we tell everyone it is. So we agree upon it. Who's to say it isn't you know? Up until that point we just see another color. It's a poor example I know but you get the idea? "
Right. For a method of communication to work, all those who use it must agree to represent things by the same symbol whether it be a word, motion, gesture, written symbol, etc.   It changes peoples's way of thinking, but it doesn't let you control how they change their way of thinking.  "
True. But you have to admit there is a lot of forces of coercion in our society. Consumerism has shaped out society to suckle on the bitter sweet teet of capitalism. We're program to think a certain way depending on what the forces that be see valuable. I think this describes it best. 
No Caption Provided
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By _Sojourn_
@Wise Son said:
" @one_upper said:
" @Wise Son said:
Right. For a method of communication to work, all those who use it must agree to represent things by the same symbol whether it be a word, motion, gesture, written symbol, etc.   It changes peoples's way of thinking, but it doesn't let you control how they change their way of thinking.  "
True. But you have to admit there is a lot of forces of coercion in our society. Consumerism has shaped out society to suckle on the bitter sweet teet of capitalism. We're program to think a certain way depending on what the forces that be see valuable. I think this describes it best. 
No Caption Provided
"
I like this a lot...
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By _Sojourn_

I only got about 1:20 second in...and I turned this trifle mess off... The Red Scare...really...

one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By one_upper
@Wise Son:  I agree. However I don't believe consumerism is taught in education systems. If anything I think cnsumerism is mostly learned from parents, family, friends, people in general. And then of course there is advertising.
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wise Son
@one_upper: Of course I didn't mean exclusively education. If anything it shines a light on it and warns us to stay away. That's what I meant by brainwashing. The public, adversiting, peer pressure, etc. It's a perpetual process at this point. One fuel the other, vice versa, until one breaks down and everything goes to hell. Until then the rich gets richer and the poor don't get a thing. See the teanut jobs don't get that. 
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

It would have scared me earlier in life but now we live in a world where someone called Snookie can write a best selling novel, rendering all faith in humanity null and void so I guess I'm numb to this kind of crap 

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wise Son
@joshmightbe: Taking a variation of George Carlin's approach huh? 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By joshmightbe
@Wise Son: He was wiser than people gave him credit for
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wise Son
@joshmightbe: Totally. He was a great man.
Metro_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Metro_Man

Okay so either:  1) This man is insane. He looks insane, he sounds insane.

or 2) We are all brain washed. If we are all brain washed, I guess we will all be sorry. (I am being a smart-ass by the way)

_Courage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By _Courage_

Not really scary, just annoys me tremendously.

Metro_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Metro_Man

I doubt this man is a danger to anyone. He sounds insane, and stupid. Too stupidly insane to be a harm to anyone, but himself.
one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By one_upper
@Metro_Man said:
" I doubt this man is a danger to anyone. He sounds insane, and stupid. Too stupidly insane to be a harm to anyone, but himself. "
I think the part i found a little disturbing is that people were cheering and supported what he was saying.
isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By isaac_clarke
@Metro_Man said:
"I doubt this man is a danger to anyone. He sounds insane, and stupid. Too stupidly insane to be a harm to anyone, but himself. "

Almost anyones a danger to anyone if you push the right buttons.
Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Osiris1428
@Wise Son said:
" @joshmightbe: Taking a variation of George Carlin's approach huh? 

"
I wish I was detached, but not yet. Very smart man.
Metro_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Metro_Man
@isaac_clarke said:
"@Metro_Man said:
"I doubt this man is a danger to anyone. He sounds insane, and stupid. Too stupidly insane to be a harm to anyone, but himself. "
Almost anyones a danger to anyone if you push the right buttons. "

I am just saying I don't see this man as a problem. To old, to out of shape. If he was a real danger to anyone, he would have already acted out. He has a voice, and thats about it. No real danger to anyone. The Tea Party is not realy a harm to anyone, except people that are dumb enough to buy what they are selling. Not a real loss, if you ask me. When they gather, they are easy to see. And when they shout, they are easy to hear. Its the crazy lone wolves we have to worry about.
Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Bah, a couple hundred years ago this group would be lynching an old woman on suspicion of witchcraft. They're unhappy with their lot in life and not intelligent enough to figure out why, so they band together and look for a convenient target for their impotent rage. Tale as old as time...