modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By modunhanul

Hello, I was born in South Korea.

I'm posting this because of an event happened in Korea.

Recently a Korean writer has wrote a novel, which includes a quote Main characters says they admire 'Paul Joseph Goebbels'.

Many readers(including myself) hated it and complained and blamed publisher and author.

On the other hand, some readers say "It's just fiction; you shouldn't take it so seriously!"

What are your opinions? You think it's Neo -Nazism? Or you think it's just a joke?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

who the fudge is paul gobubbles?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler
arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By arnoldoaad

@modunhanul said:

Recently a Korean writer has wrote a novel, which includes a quote Main characters says they admire 'Paul Joseph Goebbels'.

Many readers(including myself) hated it and complained and blamed publisher and author.

On the other hand, some readers say "It's just fiction; you shouldn't take it so seriously!"

What are your opinions? You think it's Neo -Nazism? Or you think it's just a joke?

well that depends of the context of the quote

but just because a writer creates a character doesnt mean that they are projecting a very negative trait from themselves into that character

just cause this character admires a nazi doesnt makes the writer into a nazi

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well the character might be a Nazi?

It depends on the context.If a character is written to say they admire a Nazi then that is part of their character.Its not actually Nazism it self though.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By RedQueen

@mrdecepticonleader said:

It depends on the context.If a character is written to say they admire a Nazi then that is part of their character.Its not actually Nazism it self though.

Basically this. (As long as the writer doesn't share these views). It's a character, and by the context of your post, you're probably not supposed to like the character.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By modunhanul

No. Characters are not Nazis.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modunhanul said:

Yes there are nazi characters out there,Red Skull,Crossbones etc.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

This. The book itself might not necessarily be Neo-Nazism.

It depends on the context; how is the character presented? How do other characters react to the character's opinions? In the end, what is the final verdict regarding the character's opinions, and do they come into conflict in the story? What is the author's history? Could it simply be fiction, without the author actually believing what his protagonist believes?

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bogey

If you don't like someones art, move on. You have no right to be offended. I believe in freedom of speech and people who complain for censorship are scumbags.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By modunhanul

@mrdecepticonleadersaid:

@modunhanul said:

I know there are Nazi characters like Captain Nazi or Red Skull exist. What I meant was characters who said they admire Joseph Goebbels are not Nazis. They are normal girls.

@JediXMan said:

It depends on the context; how is the character presented? How do other characters react to the character's opinions? In the end, what is the final verdict regarding the character's opinions, and do they come into conflict in the story? What is the author's history? Could it simply be fiction, without the author actually believing what his protagonist believes?

It's two characters. One of them is Main characters girlfriend and other is main character's younger sister. Their ages are about 14 to 17.

They say "I admire Goebbels most." at the same time. Although they were not planning to say it at the same time.

Main character hears it but he doesn't do anything. He doesn't think anything about it, actually.

After that they controls the high school's radio rooms and media rooms.

The writer of this novel's previous book's protagonist kills millions of people.

Well, I think that's all I know. I might remember other stuffs later, though.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By modunhanul

@Bogey said:

If you don't like someones art, move on. You have no right to be offended. I believe in freedom of speech and people who complain for censorship are scumbags.

I'm not trying to upset anyone. I'm just curious about other people's opinions.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modunhanul said:

@mrdecepticonleadersaid:

@modunhanul said:

I know there are Nazi characters like Captain Nazi or Red Skull exist. What I meant was characters who said they admire Joseph Goebbels are not Nazis. They are normal girls.

@JediXMan said:

It's two characters. One of them is Main characters girlfriend and other is main character's younger sister. Their ages are about 14 to 17.

They say "I admire Goebbels most." at the same time. Although they were not planning to say it at the same time.

Main character hears it but he doesn't do anything. He doesn't think anything about it, actually.

After that they controls the high school's radio rooms and media rooms.

The writer of this novel's previous book's protagonist kills millions of people.

Well, I think that's all I know. I might remember other stuffs later, though.

But just because someone says that it doesn't make them a Nazi,I mean what did they actually say? Maybe you aren't meant to like the main character?

What book is this?

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bogey

You should read a book called "White Noise" by Don DeLillo. That book is filled with absurdity and nazi stuff.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I don't think it's Neo-Nazism. One can admire Hitler (he was able to convince millions of people to do the most heinous things imaginable, and he managed to do it within a few years), so he's certainly an excellent leader, but still the worst person in history.

To a less extreme example, one can admire the talent of Chris Benoit, but still abhor the fact he murdered his family.

Admiration is not an all encapsulating ideal.

So the main character may admire Goebbels in the sense that he was a talented manipulator and a man of tremendous conviction and passion, but still wish him to rot in the deepest pits of Hell.

Unfortunately (though understandably if one has a personal relation to the events), people assume that just because a person can be admirable, they have to be liked. Admiring a particularly quality of a person does not mean liking the person, or considering them absolved of sin, it's merely the ability to separate them into specific pieces.

However, if the main character said that they admired Goebbels for his devotion to the genocide of the Jewish people, then yes, they are a Neo-Nazi and a heinously evil character.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By modunhanul

@mrdecepticonleader: Look at the my reply of JediXMan's comment. I really don't care about the main characters. I don't like them but I don't hate them.The book is a light novel? I really don't know much about it.

@Bogey: Okay, thank you.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By modunhanul

@FadeToBlackBolt: Thanks for your opinion.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modunhanul said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Look at the my reply of JediXMan's comment. I really don't care about the main characters. I don't like them but I don't hate them.The book is a light novel? I really don't know much about it.

@Bogey: Okay, thank you.

I did so you haven't actually read the book? And have already made your mind up about it? Okay

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TDK_1997

I don't think it's Neo-Nazism.It's how others have said,it's just fiction.Everybody has a different point of view but in my opinion it's not Neo-Nazism.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lykopis

Hitler and Stalin both approached Ferdinand Porsche to create a people's car for their countries. The Soviet Union lost out only because of the language barrier. The Volkswagon (the people's car) was the result of this collaboration, which is a vehicle meant to be relatively high in performance for minimal cost. The German auto industry owes quite a bit of its success from it's early backing of Hitler's government (including Audi). Looking for things to admire in historical figures considered "evil" isn't too difficult when you separate the action from the person. Maybe these characters were reflecting that -- they stated they admire Goebbels which explains partly why they went on teo control their school's media entirely. In the context of the story (as shared here) they can be singular in what they admire in Goebbels as he was responsible for doing the same to a high degree of success during Hitler's tenure.

Just History being regurgitated in a very piece-meal way. Volkswagon is still around and so is the historical recognition of someone's prowess in terms of influential propaganda practices and stranglehold on Arts and Media.

Much ado about nothing in that context (not saying I have it right, there is some assumption on my part) and now I really, really want to read this book, lol.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#20  Edited By Joygirl

Short answer: No.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By akbogert

@Bogey said:

The second half of this I agree with. There are very few (I won't say none, but I'm hard-pressed to find one) ideas which should actually not be permitted to be aired.

But the second sentence makes no sense. Freedom of speech is the right to say something even if it offends other people -- the implication being that people absolutely will get offended by it, that your message may well be recognized by many people as being offensive.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Timandm
@modunhanul
Not only is it absolutely NOT neo-nazism...  It actually sounds like a free society... 

You said that some people hated it.   You also said some people didn't because it was just fiction....
What you're telling us is that people are having and expressing opinions about the book, or at least, about that quote.

But don't you see it?  They are JUST talking.  Each of them is free to form and have their own opinion.  Not only that, but they are free to EXPRESS their opinions without fear of arrest, punishment, or death.

Now, when the government or people start killing others because of their opinion of a book, or for simply reading a book, THEN you will be seeing Neo-nazism in action...
kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By kuonphobos

The most worrisome part of this thread is that someone didn't know who Goebbels was.

I don't think we should get worried over a work of fiction and what a fictional character may say or do. What ever the author's intent, he/she is somewhat protected by being one step removed from the statements/actions of a fictional story/character.

Where a person may cross the line is in a personal statement or manifesto. But even in that regard they are still protected by free speech (in the USA at at least) and the only weapon left to society to combat such statements is by creating a public relations nightmare which might prevent the author from being able to find legit business partners. Otherwise we just need to grow thicker skins if we ourselves wish to be free to speak our own minds.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

Nope, it was simply taken out of context.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BlackReaper

@kuonphobos said:

The most worrisome part of this thread is that someone didn't know who Goebbels was.

Let's face it, most people don't.

No, I wouldn't consider it neo-Nazism. I sort of admire Adolf Hitler. (Wait for it) Do I agree with his twisted ideology? Hell no. However, I do admire the fact that he fought his way to power and fixed a broken country. I'm also not a big fan of his military tactics.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackReaper said:

@kuonphobos said:

No, I wouldn't consider it neo-Nazism. I sort of admire Adolph Hitler. (Wait for it) Do I agree with his twisted ideology? Hell no. However, I do admire the fact that he fought his way to power and fixed a broken country. I'm also not a big fan of his military tactics.

Fixed a broken country? More like grabbing the proverbial wrecking ball and running rampart.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

Hitler and Stalin both approached Ferdinand Porsche to create a people's car for their countries. The Soviet Union lost out only because of the language barrier. The Volkswagon (the people's car) was the result of this collaboration, which is a vehicle meant to be relatively high in performance for minimal cost. The German auto industry owes quite a bit of its success from it's early backing of Hitler's government (including Audi). Looking for things to admire in historical figures considered "evil" isn't too difficult when you separate the action from the person. Maybe these characters were reflecting that -- they stated they admire Goebbels which explains partly why they went on teo control their school's media entirely. In the context of the story (as shared here) they can be singular in what they admire in Goebbels as he was responsible for doing the same to a high degree of success during Hitler's tenure.

Just History being regurgitated in a very piece-meal way. Volkswagon is still around and so is the historical recognition of someone's prowess in terms of influential propaganda practices and stranglehold on Arts and Media.

Much ado about nothing in that context (not saying I have it right, there is some assumption on my part) and now I really, really want to read this book, lol.

True

Do you know what book it is?

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlackReaper

@BlackReaper said:

@kuonphobos said:

No, I wouldn't consider it neo-Nazism. I sort of admire Adolph Hitler. (Wait for it) Do I agree with his twisted ideology? Hell no. However, I do admire the fact that he fought his way to power and fixed a broken country. I'm also not a big fan of his military tactics.

Fixed a broken country? More like grabbing the proverbial wrecking ball and running rampart.

Say what you want, but he did a lot for the German people.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@kuonphobos said:

Tell that to the people who went to the concentration camps.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BlackReaper

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@kuonphobos said:

Okay, I'm talking about the people he actually helped. It was an example.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@kuonphobos said:

Well okay.I just don't think he is someone to admire because of some of the good things he may have done.His most defining actions are those of harm and mass murder.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlackReaper

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@kuonphobos said:

Well okay.I just don't think he is someone to admire because of some of the good things he may have done.His most defining actions are those of harm and mass murder.

Sure, but the point I was making is that just because someone admires a Nazi, it doesn't instantly equal neo-Nazism. Even Hitler did SOME good.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@BlackReaper said:

@kuonphobos said:

Sure, but the point I was making is that just because someone admires a Nazi, it doesn't instantly equal neo-Nazism. Even Hitler did SOME good.

Fair enough,I suppose.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lykopis

@mrdecepticonleader:

It has been driving me crazy! Been searching on and off all day unsuccessfully. Hopefully the OP will be forthcoming with it.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nerdork

@Bogey said:

Uh...no, taking offense is a geniune reaction after an unsavory experience. Only someone bereft of emotion, or has been lobotomized, will never be offended. And this Viner isnt even complaining here...rather, getting more perspectives. Also, this thread has nothing to do with the First Amendment; at no point was @modunhanul: arguing to supress the freedom of speech.

If someone is willing to put their writing in the public eye; they need to be willing to accept disapproval.

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jeanlucpicard

Apple pie.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nerdork

@jeanlucpicard said:

Apple pie.

I, actually, agree with this. FTW!!!!!

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@mrdecepticonleader:

It has been driving me crazy! Been searching on and off all day unsuccessfully. Hopefully the OP will be forthcoming with it.

I asked the OP what the title was and they have yet to reply.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arnoldoaad said:

@modunhanul said:

well that depends of the context of the quote

but just because a writer creates a character doesnt mean that they are projecting a very negative trait from themselves into that character

just cause this character admires a nazi doesnt makes the writer into a nazi

This.

The character could have just meant he admired Goebbels work in cinema which was quite influential at the time in Germany/Europe. If he meant he admired him because he was a Nazi and the beliefs he held wouldn't he just say he admired Hitler instead?

If a writer writes a story about a killer doesn't that mean he advocates killing? No.

Stories would be very boring if people only wrote about people like them with their same morals, beliefs, etc...