Is the voice deeper underwater?

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By TypingKira

Hey guys, for a story I'm working on, a project separate from any of my work on the Vine, I have come across an interesting dilemma (in my mind anyway).  

Is the voice deeper underwater? If you're Atlantian, human but with specific genetic traits that allow you to survive underwater, such as oxygen-diffusing membranes in the lungs and the ability to open your eyes in saltwater and yada yada.  

Most people know that the voice works by the vocal chords vibrating as air passes through the voice box and lots of other cools stuff, but would the dynamic change underwater?  Would the water move differently or make it harder for the vocal chords to move, and thus, the slower they move the lower the voice? 

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheSheepHerder

I think it would.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz

Not sure if it would even make a sound actually, it would be like push water through a musical instrument and expecting a noise.  I think comic book logic must apply here.

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

Sound travels slower through water so I want to say yes?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Donnieman v5.1:
Sound travels five times faster through water, which increases the frequency, if they could talk they would sound like the Chipmunks.      
The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By The_Warlord
@RazzaTazz said:
"
@Donnieman v5.1: Sound travels five times faster through water, which increases the frequency, if they could talk they would sound like the Chipmunks.       "
LOL
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz

Another thing I thought of is bubbles, whenever I try to talk under water with the air I take down with me (granted I dont do this very often) the bubbles usually make more noise than the sound I am making so the sound from the voice sort of gets lost.

Can I just get on record, after three attempts to answer this, that I have absolutely no idea?

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DeadpoolvIronFist
@RazzaTazz said:
"
@Donnieman v5.1: Sound travels five times faster through water, which increases the frequency, if they could talk they would sound like the Chipmunks.       "
Exactly what I was thinking.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator

Depends on the distance, the longer the higher the pitch, that is if it can actually carry. Namor actually and other Marvel fish people lip read fairly proficiently. Thor can speak anywhere, under water, space, behind sofa's in a tree, in the sun, in a rainbow. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danhimself

I would say that Atlantian's have probably evolved to the point where this is no longer a problem and their voices sound the same on land as they do underwater

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
@danhimself:
@SC:

Fair enough, but I think Kira was asking as if it were a real life thing.  Like if you or I could breathe water, what would it sound like?
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By warlock360

It just gets distorted by the bubbles so it's like mixed frequencies popping up.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Rheged

Originally, back in the Golden Age, Namor and the rest of the Atlanteans got around this question by communicating telepathically. 

I think your only asking part of the question.  You've forgotten how does a human voice SOUND underwater?  And the answer would be, of course, depends on who is hearing it.

It would also depend on HOW you breathing water and the position of your water breathing organs.  If your voice box and vocal chords are operating in water ...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator
@RazzaTazz:  Thuglughy lurglie thur nortguggle as coolguloar as blogh, blogh tur tuaghtgulu it begurglulu? 
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazzaTazz
@SC:
Exactly what I was thinking  

(oops I cheated, used the underwater telepathy)
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TypingKira
@RazzaTazz said:
"
Water TRAVELS faster, the frequency doesn't change. It doesn't matter how FAST sound travels, what matters is the. . .well I totally jkust lost my train of thought but it doen't matter how fast it travels, it doesn't affect the frequency. At least I don't think so. . . cuz if it does I'll sound like a total idiot. Thanks for all your attempts to answer, lol. 

@SC: Yes. THurgurgly. 

@Rheged:  I thought that was exactly what I was asking. . . LOL, anyway thanks for your namor-related insight. 

@warlock360: I meant eliminating the bubble problem (breathing underwater=no air bubbles). 

@danhimself: That's probably true. 
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TypingKira

I didn't mean for the @Rheged answer to be in bold. . . dangit. 

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By velle37

Sound travels faster underwater, so it might make your voice higher..........
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TypingKira: If you have been under water when a boat passes the motor sounds pretty high pitched, above the water it is just a low droan.  Same idea, has to do with frequency and wavelength (though to be honest I know how this works with electromagnetic energy much better than with sound)
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TypingKira
@RazzaTazz: I've never noticed that. . . *jumps in marina, listens for boats* Hmm. . . that's true. . . Why did I ask such a complicated question. . .
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TypingKira:  Its a pretty complicated question and my answers make a number of assumptions, my knowledge of physics an biology cant help me here.  
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator

Doppler effect! Awh dammit now I feel like chips and dip. 

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TypingKira
@RazzaTazz: Your biology can, I think. Because the question also raises the Atlantian physiology question.  

@SC: I love chips and dip. 
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By nefarious

Definitely, I find it astonishing.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TypingKira:   Err ... I havent studied much human physiology, and I am not sure how that relates to Atlantean ...  this thread is becoming more complicated by the moment ... did someone just ask whether nitrogen narcosis would slow down brain functions and everything would sound slower ...

I guess the answer is this - In space they cant hear you scream, under the water they can but it just sounds like bubbles.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TypingKira
@RazzaTazz said:
" @TypingKira: I guess the answer is this - In space they cant hear you scream, under the water they can but it just sounds like bubbles. "
Ooh, that's good to know!
brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By brc2000

Not entirely sure, but I think conventional communication is pretty much useless underwater. Our vocal cords aren't suited for the environment and our ears aren't matched for it very well either. I think divers communicate using special sign language or else they may use transducers and receivers on their masks and communicate by ultrasound. I've heard of waterproof writing slates being used as well.  You'll have to design your Atlantean with special vocal chords and ears or stick to sign language.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RazzaTazz
@brc2000: Being a diver I can confirm that they use a modified sign language. 

Namor has pointy ears doesnt he?  Maybe thats an explanation for how he can hear underwater.  
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rheged
Oh, so that wasn't very helpful, eh?  LOL!

@RazzaTazz said:

" @TypingKira: If you have been under water when a boat passes the motor sounds pretty high pitched, above the water it is just a low droan.  Same idea, has to do with frequency and wavelength (though to be honest I know how this works with electromagnetic energy much better than with sound) "

I think, though I'm not absolute for sure, that the reason why the motor sounds like a low drone is because the water muffles the sound.  I mean, your ear is full of water, so the sound waves are being obstructed.  Which goes back to what I was so inadequately trying to say ... airbreathers aren't going to be able to hear the full ... range of an Atlantean voice, and of course, they can't speak underwater.

I would postulate that the Atlanteans (or water breathing humans) have developed a way to make sounds with water passing over vocal cords instead of air.  I would imagine it would be something of a subtle sound, a rippling susurrous, akin to the sound your fingers make when you flutter them in water.  Maybe punctuated by bubbling noises.  OR it could sound like a bad lisp.  LOL!  Dolphins and other sea mammals (yes I googled a bit) apparently make noises with their airways / blow holes, so they are still using air, even if they aren't using their vocal chords.  I really don't think there lots of sea animals that communicate with sound.  Of course, someone feel free to correct me. :)

As for hearing, I found this interesting bit about dolphins here at SeaWorld

a. Most sound reception, or hearing, probably takes place through the lower jaw. Studies show that the lower jaw most effectively receives sounds with frequencies above 20 kHz (Brill, et al., 1988). A dolphin may also receive sound through soft tissue and bone surrounding the ear.

So, Atlanteans may NOT use their ears at all.  Or perhaps, they've adapted it catch more of these subtle sounds at various frequencies.  Or perhaps they use a combination of both their sensitive ears and some sort of special bone structure like the dolphins.  MAYBE that bone structure is in their ears?  Perhaps the pointy ears are much more rigid than air breather ears.

I believe Atlanteans also have developed a lateral line of sorts, which may help with hearing in some fashion.

There!  Better? :)
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TypingKira
@Rheged: I was gonna quote you but then I realized that it was a lot. . . :} 

I can't think of proper responses to your very well thought out answer, but it was very helpful! The idea with their ears being more rigid actually made a lot of sense. You really put a lot of effort into that.  

To everyone who posted: Thanks guys! All your. . . okay, most of your answers were very helpful :}
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rheged
@TypingKira:   I'm glad it served you better than my previous post. :)  Of course, I leave it to you to figure out how all that works when Atlanteans come to the surface and speak English or whatever air breather language. ;)
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TypingKira
@Rheged said:
" @TypingKira:   I'm glad it served you better than my previous post. :)  Of course, I leave it to you to figure out how all that works when Atlanteans come to the surface and speak English or whatever air breather language. ;) "
Well they'll come up spontaneously speak English of course! Like Namor.  

Kidding! In my book Atlantis is known to exist and is a real place, and Atlantians are considered very exotic. 
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rheged
@TypingKira said:
" @Rheged said:
" @TypingKira:   I'm glad it served you better than my previous post. :)  Of course, I leave it to you to figure out how all that works when Atlanteans come to the surface and speak English or whatever air breather language. ;) "
Well they'll come up spontaneously speak English of course! Like Namor.   Kidding! In my book Atlantis is known to exist and is a real place, and Atlantians are considered very exotic.  "

Coolness!  Well, it's hard to beat Everett's original solution ... they are telepathic and don't use their vocal chords underwater. ;)
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TypingKira
@Rheged: Um, it's hard to beat Everett anything. . . it is in fact very difficult to beat that. 
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RazzaTazz
@Rheged: Well played, the only thing I can add is that I think dolphins actually communicate with bubble streams underwater too.
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rheged
@TypingKira said:
" @Rheged: Um, it's hard to beat Everett anything. . . it is in fact very difficult to beat that.  "
Well, yes.  I definitely agree with that.  I picked up Blake Bell's book on Bill Everett and the Birth of Marvel Comics, but haven't had time to do much but drool over the pictures. :(

@RazzaTazz said:
" @Rheged: Well played, the only thing I can add is that I think dolphins actually communicate with bubble streams underwater too. "
Thankee.  With bubble streams?  Cool!   So many neat things about underwater life, and tons we still don't know.  I saw something on TV the other day about octopi communicating by changing colors ... and some with phosphorescence, which I think is fascinating.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TypingKira
@Rheged: That sounds utterly fascinating (total nerd, right here). What I think is kinda cool is how they just found out that come octopi will build their own little houses out of stuff like coconut shells. That vid? In a weird way it was kind of cute. 
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rheged

I'll nerd out with you.  LOL!  Octopi are supposed to be quite intelligent.  I saw a video of one that they put food in various containers and the octopus managed to get them all open.  He could also stuff his body into surprising tiny containers.  O_O

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By _Sojourn_

The voice isn't any deeper, it's just that it is clearer, and you hear it better. I know that sounds weird, because when you try and speak underwater its all gargled and whatnot, but sound waves travel faster in water than in air, and human ears are not accustomed or made to hear anything of importance underwater. 

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TypingKira
@Rheged: I love octopi. I live in Hawaii so I guess it's only natural that I have a fascination with the ocean.  

@Slight: No, it's not weird, it makes sense. :} 
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By _Sojourn_
@TypingKira: Well, good..I'm glad those classes have paid off so bountifully 
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TypingKira
@Slight: LOL, Glad I could help you use those learned skills. 
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MKF30

Depends but not sure, I think the pressure has something to do with it.