#1 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1138 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the truth always the good and right thing to do?

#2 Posted by RogueShadow (11883 posts) - - Show Bio

It never is, lie, scheme and cheat. Good things will come to you.

#3 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, especially when it hurts others because you're still doing the right thing.

#4 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

Not always.

#5 Posted by _Cain_ (23659 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#6 Posted by Experio (17139 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#7 Posted by Wolverine08 (45538 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Posted by Black_Arrow (3929 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the truth always the good and right thing to do?

It depends.

#9 Posted by kyrees (6170 posts) - - Show Bio

white lies are there for a reason.

#10 Posted by Perethorn (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes, thruth is not enough.

#11 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6455 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (20217 posts) - - Show Bio

Ask yourself this when a girl asks you if she's looking fat.

#14 Edited by ARMIV2 (8845 posts) - - Show Bio

If it is in your intentions, then yes.

#15 Posted by WillPayton (9815 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes lying is the right thing to do.

#16 Posted by ShootingNova (18956 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably no, depending on your goal. Sometimes you want to lie to make people feel better.

#17 Edited by DoctorXander (1205 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a lot of different situations where different rules might apply, but I have a fun story to share about lying

I'm not sure whether this did happen, but I was told that during WWII a woman was hiding some Jews in her house under her kitchen table, and one day some German guards came to her house asking if she had any Jewish people living there, the woman refused to lie and said that they were hiding under the table, and the Germans just laughed and walked away.

#18 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

depends on the situation really

#19 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18710 posts) - - Show Bio

Not always I suppose.

#20 Posted by Black_Arrow (3929 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a lot of different situations where different rules might apply, but I have a fun story to share about lying

I'm not sure whether this did happen, but I was told that during WWII a woman was hiding some Jews in her house under her kitchen table, and one day some German guards came to her house asking if she had any Jewish people living there, the woman refused to lie and said that they were hiding under the table, and the Germans just laughed and walked away.

And what did the jews do?

#21 Posted by SC (13348 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't really reduce ethics and morality into such simplified and absolute terms. So simple answer is it depends.

I won't waste time philosophizing about what the truth is and how can we know it, nor what is good or right and how we know those as well, but beyond that, humans interact with each other, and other elements, phenomena and objects, and all these different interactions involve using tools, such as senses and reason that aren't perfect and vary in degree of competency and accuracy. That and interactions between all these things involve variables that are both known and unknown, which essentially means there will always exist discrepancies between concepts and situations that can mean the right and or good thing to do doesn't always involve the truth, and that applies even if its attempting to appeal to and or cater to the truth and likewise appealing to or catering to the truth and also the right and good thing doesn't necessary mean that such action, belief or application of either actually is the good or/and right thing to do.

In situations/systems where players know that other players can be deceptive and have different priorities that differ to the player, then that player may be required or obligated to take that into account when playing. Which also applies to the other player and players. Depending on certain variables and scenarios, players attributes may be as such as to collective benefit all players, even if different goals exist and different priorities exist based on maximizing benefits and altruism and understanding on how to allow all players to get what they ultimately want. Or to apply that into real life setting? Intelligent, knowledgeable, honest, civil, considerate, transparent, ethically and morally and wise societies and cities will have truth and ethics line up much more often than societies that are ignorant, corrupt, uncivil, immature, violent and unsettled and unequal.

#22 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Good? Certainly. Right thing? Not always.

#23 Posted by marvel_boy2241 (2468 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna be perfectly honest (get it honest)...Yeah lying can be essential in some situations. People even lie to themselves. If everyone told the truth then it prolly wouldn't be that great. Mass suicides I suppose.

#24 Edited by russellmania77 (15806 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets hear what the wannabe none conformance's have to say

#25 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Always. No matter how painful, people deserve to know and do with it whatever is right for them. Its really no one elses decision to make, even when intentions are good.

#26 Posted by Raiiyn (3597 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

Always. No matter how painful, people deserve to know and do with it whatever is right for them. Its really no one elses decision to make, even when intentions are good.

This.

#27 Posted by DoctorXander (1205 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctorxander said:

And what did the jews do?

Kept living in the house I until the Holocaust ended I assume, but I don't know for sure

#28 Posted by swordmasterD (2336 posts) - - Show Bio

always tell the truth always no matter what

SEE THAT WAS A Lie

If you someone asked you for your bank details you wouldn't tell them

#29 Posted by YoungJustice (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

No, sometimes people can't handle the truth (No pun intended), but unless you are exactly sure that the person will have a negative effect on themselves, you should just tell the truth.