Posted by russellmania77 (15355 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: is the phoenix force annoying? (43 votes)

yes 86%
no 14%
#1 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

???

#2 Edited by The Stegman (24382 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda wish it would go away for a while, yes.

#3 Posted by w0nd (3407 posts) - - Show Bio

To this day I still don't understand what it truly wants

#4 Posted by russellmania77 (15355 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Pyrogram (38361 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

#6 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes.

#7 Posted by cameron83 (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually love the idea of the phoenix force,however I just wish that it wasn't used so many times. Give it a break for,at least 2 years

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (42235 posts) - - Show Bio

Extremely annoying.

#9 Posted by HolySerpent (12542 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11046 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes all it is, is a flying plot device that turn other characters into plot devices.

#11 Edited by _Cerberus_ (3448 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

It dies

It lives

It dies

It lives

fakin annoying to on how it spams resurrection every dam week, I mean seriously what a noob put some dam attack and defense points for once instead of MANA!

#12 Edited by MonsterStomp (17930 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Edited by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it's really annoying. It's a dumb plot device that leads to so many eye-rolling battle threads.

#14 Posted by dondave (37410 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by camera_guy (233 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by PowerHerc (83719 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#17 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Terrible plot device used by terrible writers who can't think of a good idea themselves.

The only time it was used well was by Morrison who gave it an express purpose, fulfilled it, then sealed it in limbo forever so that the franchise could move on.

.... Marvel promptly decided not to move on and remain stuck in the past. Idiots.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14895 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.The Phoenix Force and Jean Grey are the two worst things in Marvel for me.Both things are really annoying and when I see them in a book I just get disgusted right away.

#19 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Not irritating... That would be too much of an understatement. It makes 'irritating' look like an innocent meek child. Phoenix Force is heinously full of sh*t.

#20 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who finds it annoying is not a true X-Men fan.

#21 Edited by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

It has it's problems when it ventures out of the X books. :P

#22 Posted by Killemall (18564 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Go away :p

Your not a true X-men fan hehehehe

I dont know the biggest problem i have with Phoenix Force is its largely used as plot device. We know very little about what it is , what it wants, why does it keep coming to Earth, why it targets people from Greys? WTH is wrong with it.

And why on earth is its power so inconsistent. I really want marvel to sit down and actually give us a good story on how it connects, rather than trying to explain it in bios and having 1 bio (Phoenix Handbook) contradict others (Jean entry in Marvel Handbook 2005)

#23 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall:

Hope Summers hasn't been confirmed as being biologically related to Summers or the Grey clan which makes it even more ridiculous -- and seriously -- I really mean this -- I have NO idea what Marvel was thinking this last time with the Phoenix showing up like it did. Just --- outta the blue. And then splitting up. Into five mutants - when it shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't before. With Rachel Summers right there. Right. There. You know, the last mutant who wielded its power successfully?

Any X-Men fan who read the books from the inception of the Phoenix Force with Jean Grey (Dark Phoenix) would agree this "thing" we were recently subjected to by the mighty minds of Marvel was/is a joke. That was not the Phoenix - that was a stupid idea in an attempt to quantify the existence of Hope and it failed, miserably. Adding Scarlet Witch to the mix was even worse. Just the idea of the Phoenix being tied with mutants ---it defies all logic and pretty much slapped every previous writer's attempt to rein in the whole Phoenix mythos to the side just to make the Avengers part of it all. What about the Sh'iar? What about all the planets it consumed? Why? For what reason? What about the White Room? Just pathetic.

So, pretty much what you said. This whole Phoenix debacle to me is like having a favourite character ripped to shreds to excuse some mega event, multi-comic tie-in. It defies logic and previously established canon. That you have Cyclops defended by fans who know the Phoenix in this light only rather than historically is added salt rubbing in the wound. The Phoenix is Jean Grey and it's the Jean Grey of the 80's. Rachel and everything else since then has just been horrible. That includes Morrison's take on it.

@mysterioususername:

I refuse to acknowledge that whole AvX disaster. It never happened. Just like Sentry and Rogue...and Magneto.