User Lists: 0

No. Either that or I'm very oblivious to it

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yes, but its mostly because the blacks who live in the area get a little crazy from time to time. So people react by labeling all blacks that way. Not making it up. Where I live, virtually everyone in the service industry complains about black people, including people who I know aren't racist. I've heard the most complaints from other black people, because they can get away with saying stuff like that without penalty. We also have a lot of illegal immigrants who can't speak English and act very selfishly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. A lot of hate against gypsies over here.

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SuperDrummer

Basically none here in northwest tip of the united states.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickras said:

Yes. A lot of hate against gypsies over here.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By dshipp17

@superdrummer said:

Basically none here in northwest tip of the united states.

Yes, actually it still was an issue there, to my surprise; I was lead to the Seattle area thinking that race was not an issue up there; my work environment was very racially hostile; it made so called professionals behave little better than junior high school children; they were trying to make it difficult for an Asian American director to manage the work facility and created a very hostile work environment for me, after I came at odds with laboratory management, after filing an EEO complaint; after I lost my government job and had to mingle with the public more for survival (e.g. this started when I knew my employment was coming short), I found it very discriminatory in that area; the so called employment lawyers were veiled racists and employment discrimination in terms of hiring was also prevalent; perhaps you live in Oregon; I also nearly got another chemist job in Oregon, until I was clearly blacklisted with a bad employment reference that cost me the job. I was honestly disappointed and rudely surprised by the environment in Seattle. I can say it's different from the Southeast United States, but the malicious results have the same impact; I can probably equate the Northwest with an arrogant type racism and the Southeast with a fading traditional type of racism, a sort of behind the times or old fashion type of racism; they just need to evolve into arrogant racism by becoming more educated as a whole. I next felt a bit of hostility toward me in the Oakland California area, while of a business trip; I couldn't tell it from San Francisco; Los Angeles and Palm Springs California seemed to be ok, for the brief time that I was in those areas.

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: I live north of seattle actually, and I've got to say this shocked me. I always known it was worse in the city, but still. I'm sorry the northwest left a bad taste in your mouth. I will be the first to admit we are horribly arrogant up here, and pretty classist (If you had said you were discriminated because of a southern accent I wouldn't have been that surprised at all), but I've seen little actual racism. I have friends from the middle east, philippines, india, korea, japan, mexico, ghana, and russia, and none of them have ever been really discriminated against that they can tell.

Than again, I will admit, we are all college age, and haven't entered the work-force yet, so its possible its only an issue in that area. Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I can guarantee not all of us are like that.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one hand. It is not an issue because we dont have a lot of racial diversity.

But on the other, actually over 30% people here are crazy racist.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

Racism towards "white minorities" is more common here, which is why I usually find comments about "whites should check their privileges" etc ironic.

So white privilege doesn't exist because of a few negative comments against white people?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By dshipp17

@superdrummer said:

@dshipp17: I live north of seattle actually, and I've got to say this shocked me. I always known it was worse in the city, but still. I'm sorry the northwest left a bad taste in your mouth. I will be the first to admit we are horribly arrogant up here, and pretty classist (If you had said you were discriminated because of a southern accent I wouldn't have been that surprised at all), but I've seen little actual racism. I have friends from the middle east, philippines, india, korea, japan, mexico, ghana, and russia, and none of them have ever been really discriminated against that they can tell.

Than again, I will admit, we are all college age, and haven't entered the work-force yet, so its possible its only an issue in that area. Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I can guarantee not all of us are like that.

Actually, I was a little north of Seattle too; I worked in Bothell/Mill Creek area of Washington; I did briefly stay in Lake Stevens Washington with my second line supervisor, when I first got there; the only place I really got to see there was his church; the people in the church seemed approachable, but my second line supervisor was a bit stand offish on the occasions we visited his church, he and his wife, and daughter; he even attended church at the very back in an upper balcony.

I actually only visited the actual Seattle on several brief occasions, but I was meeting with the attorneys, and the ones that I met were some of the wackiest people I knew both before and after the experiences; as a result, I felt it necessary to seek legal assistance in other parts of the country such as Washington DC; but, by the time I looked into Washington DC, I was already out of my job; but, walking through the city, getting to where I needed, I noticed that none of the people that I past even wanted to acknowledge my presence; I was referred to the attorney that I got, while employed, and he had a history of running rough shot over people, and ultimately did the same to me right at the time you most trust your attorney, during a hearing; and he was actually African American, but probably took a bribe from the Agency to cross me. The Washington DC attorney represented me with an unusually low retainer, but they all want to just gobble up your case and keep you out of the loop (e.g. both the Seattle area attorney and DC area attorney). When I lost my job, but was engaged in the start of my litigation, I was a bit south of Seattle near Olympia Washington in Kent Washington. I did most of my job searching in this area; but, the people in this range seemed to be quite similar in a cultural sense.

But, I'm currently in a good place in my lawsuit, better than any earlier time, and I hope to be back there soon, although it might be brief, because the stipulation of a settlement agreement that might have saved me requires that I be transferred to one of the laboratories in California that is by the federal government, after a 14 day period.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:
@maccyd said:

Racism towards "white minorities" is more common here, which is why I usually find comments about "whites should check their privileges" etc ironic.

So white privilege doesn't exist because of a few negative comments against white people?

'scuse me, but what exactly are white privileges? As far as all laws go there is none. Can you blame the white person for the "gangsta" culture of black people? or the poor backgrounds of the immigrants? Do you claim there are not overly privileged black people? Do you for instance say Chris Evans has more privileges than Will Smith?

OkRaider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:
@maccyd said:

Right? The world is what it is. Own it - good with the bad, bad with the good. I live in the heart of the Deep South (USA). Moved here a year ago from a much more diverse urban environment. People here are super polite, more polite than where I came from, but the racial tensions are visible. Somebody said that it's "fading racism", but that isn't quite accurate. PUBLIC RACISM is what's fading. But in hiring practices, the housing market, and even the white flight from the public schools in my Southern city, the racism is indeed there. People complain about Blacks here too, but honestly, been here a year and I don't see what they're talking about. The crime rate here is nothing - a drop in the bucket - and people here still act like Blacks here (who are a small fraction of the population) are as bad as those Bikers in Waco who murdered nine people in a gun battle.

Freaking hilarious.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I rarely ever experience any type of racism...

I live in Georgia..

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: That is more or less where I lived, and all of that sounds about right. We definitely have inequality and discrimination, but not much if any of it is racial in me and my friends' experiences.

Like I said, people here are very classist, and the upper class (I don't doubt anyone who could employ a chemist would view themselves as upper class) are very entitled and stand offish. The social landscape is also extremely political and cliqueish, so I'm not surprised you got blacklisted if you crossed the wrong person.

And not going to lie, I didn't know that it wasn't normal to completely ignore random people on the street and have them ignore you. I can guarantee you that has nothing to do with your race, that's just life here. Its kind of nice actually, peaceful. No one is judging you if they don't see you, so it makes a good escape from drama.

As for the attorneys, I think its pretty fair to say that no matter where you go, attorneys are a pretty poor representation of any population, and from what I understand they are pretty sleezy no matter where you are.

I wish you the best in your case! I'd offer you a place to stay during your trip if I were in a position to, but I'm kinda couch surfing myself at the moment.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:
@maccyd said:

'scuse me, but what exactly are white privileges? As far as all laws go there is none. Can you blame the white person for the "gangsta" culture of black people? or the poor backgrounds of the immigrants? Do you claim there are not overly privileged black people? Do you for instance say Chris Evans has more privileges than Will Smith?

Gangsta culture of black people? And what exactly would that be?

And white privilege isn't strictly economics. While Will Smith may have class privilege, he doesn't have racial privilege. It's called intersectionality.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benk111: it's always a issue everywhere you go

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Southern Ontario, Canada. (yes there are more than just white people in Canada)

Can't say I've ever heard of there being any huge problem here. My dad's white and my mom's Asian. There are plenty of Asian people in my town. And there are loads of Middle-Eastern people here, too. I used to work with hundreds of them at a call center. Not usually Arab, mostly Persian Iraqis, Lebanese, and a few Pakastani people.

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

now I'm not racist, but white men are the dominant creatures hands down

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Here in Palmdale? Not that I'm really aware of. i suppose if I were to snoop around the local junior high schools I'd probably hear or see somethings, but then again that's just stupid kids being stupid kids.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Not that I've seen but I'm sure it's here somewhere.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By MakkyD

@jnr6lil said:
@maccyd said:

I'm sure Jews, Irish, Polish, Gypsys and a few others could claim they've gotten more than a "few negative comments".

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By comicace3

Yep

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

racism is an issue everywhere

~MiB

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By Cloakx14

Houston, Texas. yep.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:
@chimeroid said:
@jnr6lil said:
@maccyd said:

Gangsta culture of black people? And what exactly would that be?

And white privilege isn't strictly economics. While Will Smith may have class privilege, he doesn't have racial privilege. It's called intersectionality.

Are you seriously asking me what is the gangsta culture? Are you acting like it doesnt exist? Let me explain. It is a tendency among black people to glorify a criminal lifestyle. It is a subtype of rap culture even. Calling themselves pimps and literally gangstas. It has come to the point where "OG" is a big compliment. Given, that only exists in a relatively poor societies. But there is a glorification of violence in the rap culture. Just check out rap battles for instance. They talk about the drive by they have been in, guns they have and people they shot. Whether they did it or not doesnt matter because i am talking strictly about glorification of crime.

So, what exactly are privileges Chris Evans has and Will Smith doesnt. I didnt chose them because they are rich. I chose them because they are famous. So pls. Explain. List the privileges.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MakkyD

@jnr6lil said:

@maccyd: This is 2015 not 1940

Wow...you must be pretty ignorant to not know the issues these people face outside of your community...Especially in Europe and such

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Jews, Poles, Irish are not being discriminated in America after 2015. They've elevated to whiteness after WW2

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@maccyd: Jews, Poles, Irish are not being discriminated in America after 2015. They've elevated to whiteness after WW2

America doesn't equal the world...

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Cable_Extreme

I saw a video the other day that made me a tad mad

White guy and black guy both open carry a firearm. The white guy gets stopped, checked out and let on his way while griping the whole time about his freedom etc... Then the black guy doing the same thing gets an officers gun aimed at him for 5 minutes along with a bunch of backup, a canine unit, and finally gets arrested. While I don't really like open carry, this is troublesome.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: They're not glorifying it, simply reflecting on what they been through

And most black people aren't gangsters.

And of course rap battle are all about guns and such. Its to diss your opponent so of course you will try to come off as tougher.

Chris Evans is less likely to deal with poloce brutality or being pulled over by a cop for driving a fancy car.

Chris Evans isn't going to have to deal with higher bank loans because he's white

Chris Evans is going to have an easier time buying a house than Will Smith.

The roles Chris Evans plays in movies won't be seen as stereotypical compared to Will Smith.

If Jaden and Willow get in trouble, more pressure is put on Will as a black father rather than Chris Evans. Due to the stereotypes of absentee black fathers, Will has to be a perfect father to tarnish that image

These are just a few examples of white privilege. It's how society operates even if not under law.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Clearly we are talking about America

And even in in the world you would still find less cases of that happening.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@maccyd: Clearly we are talking about America

And even in in the world you would still find less cases of that happening.

The OP said where a person lives and there are many users, including myself from Europe. Gypsies are generally treated like **** no matter where they are in the world, Eastern Europeans are heavily discriminated against across Europe, The Irish were treated similar to Islamophobia in Britain until recently and Northern Ireland speaks for itself.

I'm not sure why you struggle to accept that there are places, such as where Iive, that being a Gypsy or Polish means you're more likely to be discriminated against than being Black or such.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Blacks are discrimimated in Europe also.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: Never said they weren't, I said that in areas of Europe, there are white minorities more likely to face discrimination.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the most part, no.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: But when I made my original comment about white privilege I was referring to America as that's where the term is primarily used.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Racism is pretty bad in other countries as well. America is just the one who mostly gets singled out.. I remember watchin a soccer match that was in a country in Europe, and the fans were throwing bananas at the black players.. Even the ones on the team they were rooting for!

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Beata

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only racism where I live arises around the Traveller Community. They're generally viewed as trash and there isn't much integration between the communities. It generally arise from fear of thievery, fear of animal abuse, fear of violence (they are very hardy people), or disgust at bare-knuckle boxing, which is perceived as barbaric, or distaste of their weddings, their views on sex and relationships, they clothing of the women and their courting practises, or even their appearance.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@maccyd: But when I made my original comment about white privilege I was referring to America as that's where the term is primarily used.

Which is why I claimed it was ironic when Americans and such use "check your privileges because you're white" against general strangers on the internet, as racism and such is different around the world.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@chimeroid: They're not glorifying it, simply reflecting on what they been through

Oh really?

This is from 2 Pacs song:

Little Ceasar go ask you homie

How I'll leave you

Cut your young ass up

See you in pieces

Now be deceased

Little Kim,

Don't fuck around with real G's

Quick to snatch your ugly ass, off the streets

Seriously. That is only one example. And i took it because 2 Pac is one of the most influential rappers ever. I can find 100s of song that glorify violence, rape and murder.

And most black people aren't gangsters.

I agree with that. Never said they were. My point is that they tend to idolize gangsters and try to act dangerous. 29% of African Americans end up in jails. And you cant say that is because cops like to bother them more they have had to break some laws first. And they do that, partly, because they idolize the gangster subculture.

And of course rap battle are all about guns and such. Its to diss your opponent so of course you will try to come off as tougher.

Ye, diss your opponent with sentences like: "You aint gangsta" and calling themselves "Original Gangsta (OG)" is in no way glorifying gangster culture

Chris Evans is less likely to deal with poloce brutality or being pulled over by a cop for driving a fancy car.

So you are saying there is a chance a police will EVER actually hit Will Smith? Bullsh*t. Neither one of them will ever have to deal with police brutality and you know it.

Chris Evans isn't going to have to deal with higher bank loans because he's white

That is an other lie. Right now you are saying that Will Smith has worse bank offers because he is black? That is a straight out LIE.

Chris Evans is going to have an easier time buying a house than Will Smith.

No, they will have the same time. Take out the money and buy a house. Do you have any proof to back that up?

The roles Chris Evans plays in movies won't be seen as stereotypical compared to Will Smith.

Will Smith doesn't play stereotypical roles since he was a kid. He has a wide area of roles and he does every one of them perfectly. If a black guy gets a career by doing a black guy humor sketch like Martin Lawrence he can expect bullshit roles. But otherwise stereotypical roles are for people that are... "something" meaning - Fat, Skinny, Nerdy, Jocky, Evil looking, Superhero looking, Midget etc.

If Jaden and Willow get in trouble, more pressure is put on Will as a black father rather than Chris Evans. Due to the stereotypes of absentee black fathers, Will has to be a perfect father to tarnish that image

I don't think anyone puts extra pressure on Will to be a better father. If not, we are begging him to stop trying to promote Jaden.

These are just a few examples of white privilege. It's how society operates even if not under law.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By AlphaQ
MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MakkyD
judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@cloakx14 said:

Houston, Texas. yep.

As someone from New Orleans, I would like to tell you we're sorry........

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3