• 110 results
#101 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: The only justification being a situation in which you had no option. Example:

"This terrorist was going to kill my family unless I pirated these files".

The selfish reasons you were suggesting are not justifications.

Uh huh.. the terrorists. I think i'll be leaving now.

#102 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to do it but I don't anymore. I only did it for music and I stopped in freshman year of high school. Quite frankly I don't really have a problem with it, the ads on DVD's and the ones that start before a movie begins in the theaters always compare it to robbing a woman of a purse or stealing a car and saying it isn't a victimless crime is crap in my opinion. It seriously does not hurt the entertainment industry at all. Someone already posted an article about how it doesn't and there are dozen's of other articles covering the subject and many of them come for reputable news sites.

#103 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Laughable. Good luck finding relevant, non-biased information on piracy using Google. Are you suggesting Wikipedia is as reliable as a textbook written specifically for CJ?

There is no difference between piracy and me stealing files off your computer. If you support piracy, you should be fine with me taking whatever files you have on your computer without your permission.

That's why I said little to no justifications. That is an extreme event. All you were posting was "Hurr durr, I can get whatever copy I want because it didn't work for me". That is not a justification for a crime.

Then again, I don't expect you to really know anything about criminal law like I do. I'll let you off easily since you're ignorant to it and haven't been studying it the past years.

#104 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Laughable. Good luck finding relevant, non-biased information on piracy using Google. Are you suggesting Wikipedia is as reliable as a textbook written specifically for CJ?

There is no difference between piracy and me stealing files off your computer. If you support piracy, you should be fine with me taking whatever files you have on your computer without your permission.

That's why I said little to no justifications. That is an extreme event. All you were posting was "Hurr durr, I can get whatever copy I want because it didn't work for me". That is not a justification for a crime.

Then again, I don't expect you to really know anything about criminal law like I do. I'll let you off easily since you're ignorant to it and haven't been studying it the past years.

Well to the first highlighted point the government is already doing that to people lol.

And to the second, where does your experience and understanding of criminal law come from, if you don't mind me asking. I am just curious.

#105 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13:

(1) Well, that's the NSA. They're kind of hypocrites that way.

(2) I've been in the Criminal Justice program at my university for a while, and have taken multiple classes in it as well as joined the CJ club. I hope to be FBI in a couple years.

#106 Edited by Renchamp (2451 posts) - - Show Bio
@vortex13 said:

I used to do it but I don't anymore. I only did it for music and I stopped in freshman year of high school. Quite frankly I don't really have a problem with it, the ads on DVD's and the ones that start before a movie begins in the theaters always compare it to robbing a woman of a purse or stealing a car and saying it isn't a victimless crime is crap in my opinion. It seriously does not hurt the entertainment industry at all. Someone already posted an article about how it doesn't and there are dozen's of other articles covering the subject and many of them come for reputable news sites.

Forget about the industry. The industry will be fine. The fact is that the rights to these things are with the creators and they have the sole right to decide how their stuff will be distributed. If they choose to limit it that is their right. Not anyone else's. Pirating essentially takes away the constitutional right of protection we all have over our own creations.

#107 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp: That is true, I don't think it is a good thing to do, but it isn't on the level of robbing a lady of her purse and harming her or stealing a car. That is something that I find pretty ridiculous honestly. Stealing intellectual property, which is definitely wrong, is not on the level of ripping a purse away from someone on the street and bolting away with it. It is such a dumb and over the top comparison that it ends up making it laughable in my opinion.

There is an amusing thing that happened to me once. I highly doubt it was actually done or taken from us, but back in 2004 me and my friend wrote a script and had a myspace page where we posted it as well as some others. Anyway one script we put up (which was quite frankly absolute s##t) had a scene where the two characters in it were in Las Vegas and they saw a tiger and one said "Oh look, a tiger! I wonder who owns it." Then the character goes to pet it and he gets cold clocked by Mike Tyson. I'm completely serious, it was written just like that. Then out comes The Hangover five years later and I had forgotten about that script but there was an extreme feeling of deja vu when the scene with Mike Tyson happened in the film while I watched it in theaters. Two days later I remembered and looked it up. I was very amused obviously. Again I very much doubt, actually I find it completely unrealistic, that the person who wrote the script saw the s##t script me and my friend wrote. Still very amusing to me lol.

#108 Posted by jwalser3 (5067 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13 said:

The ads on DVD's and the ones that start before a movie begins in the theaters always compare it to robbing a woman of a purse or stealing a car and saying it isn't a victimless crime is crap in my opinion. It seriously does not hurt the entertainment industry at all. Someone already posted an article about how it doesn't and there are dozen's of other articles covering the subject and many of them come for reputable news sites.

QFT

#109 Edited by Renchamp (2451 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: I agree on the portrayal of the problem. The entertainment industry is going about it all wrong. We don't want to see a faceless corporation crying on behalf of others. And while the comparison is basically true, it is a mighty stretch. Nobody cares for the weeping money bags. This thread proves that. It's the little guy who actually owns the rights that is getting hurt.

Sweet story, by the way. It's amazing how the internet makes things so easy to access. Even if the writers themselves didn't see your script, how could you prove that someone else didn't and relate it as an aside or something? Regardless, uncanny similarities.

#110 Posted by hudyman (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp said:

@vortex13: I agree on the portrayal of the problem. The entertainment industry is going about it all wrong. We don't want to see a faceless corporation crying on behalf of others. And while the comparison is basically true, it is a mighty stretch. Nobody cares for the weeping money bags. This thread proves that. It's the little guy who actually owns the rights that is getting hurt.

Sweet story, by the way. It's amazing how the internet makes things so easy to access. Even if the writers themselves didn't see your script, how could you prove that someone else didn't and relate it as an aside or something? Regardless, uncanny similarities.

This post is just Gold

#111 Posted by ComicBookCoby (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I think piracy is great for the comic artists and writers. It gets their stories and art out there. Many people can't afford to buy 100s of dollars worth of comics every month.

As for the companies.... Disney (owner of Marvel) and WB (owner of DC) are making plenty of money from other ventures. They could lose hundreds of millions of dollars on their comic departments and that would hardly be a drop in the bucket.

It is one of the Top 5 ways to read comics, I'd say:

http://cobyscomics.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-5-ways-to-read-comics-for-free.html

#112 Posted by Nefarious (20626 posts) - - Show Bio

No.