• 110 results
#51 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, the only argument I see for piracy is "why should I pay for it when everybody else does?" And if you can't see what's wrong with that, I don't really know where I'm heading with this sentence. For unattainable stuff, I could maybe see a justification, but other than that, no. It's wrong.

#52 Posted by nerdork (4039 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpion2501: sorry, I'm not laughing at you, maliciously. I just thought that was funny. Lol

#53 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends

#54 Posted by Manchine (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

I only do it when i have noway to get it in my country.

This I can see. I also can see if I bought for example Bards Tale 3 on my commodore 128 in the 80's. Never finished it downloaded an emulated and play it now.

#55 Posted by muhabba (301 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as music goes, I haven't bought a CD since 2003. As for movies I got a system: When it first comes out a obtain it through sketchy means, then I wait for the 2nd release of the movie and buy the first release out of the 5 dollar bin, then I wait for about a year for the definative Director's ubercut and buy that. Then I just have to wait for special anniversies and maybe buy those. I'm all about the special features.

#56 Posted by Abocado (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#57 Edited by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

For anyone who's too stupid to understand:

Piracy works under the same concept of idea theft (which is why we have patents). Piracy may make a copy and leave the original, but it's the fact that you unlawfully obtained the file that makes it a crime.

#58 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (26109 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

#59 Posted by WarBlade539 (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

@manchine said:

Stealing is wrong on so many levels. There is no way to justify it.

Let me tell you a story. I was extremely excited about Hitman: Absolution. I waited a long time for that game. When I finally bought it and set out to install it, it started downloading files from Steam. Now back home in India, I have crappy internet. It took days and days but it was still 'updating'.
I lost patience and I got pissed. So, I went to the nearby Cyber Cafe and downloaded a pirated copy of the game and played it happily.

You understand where I'm getting at?

#60 Posted by WarBlade539 (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999 said:

@hudyman said:

@darkazrael999 said:

If it's Capcom or some of the EA s**t, then yes but...only in some cases.

For games that required hardwork and determination and it shows in the final product, NO!

For games that require huge downloads despite the 60$ disk price and crap-load of DRM, YES!

For bad games or extremely short games. YES!

You can't exactly say a game is bad, it's really all a matter of opinion

Oh, I disagree! Some games are just bad throughout. Ride to Hell, MOH: Warfighter, Kane and Lynch 2, Fable III, almost every movie-licensed games besides a few ones, Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City and Resident Evil 6, Sonic Free Riders.

I loved Kane and Lynch 2!

Okay. That's cool. What did you like about it?

#61 Posted by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kind of broke, so I don't have money to buy something without knowing it's worthwhile. Yeah, that may sound immoral, but if I genuinely enjoy something I've downloaded (a cd, a game (though I prefer not to download games), whatever) I'll go out and buy it once I have the money to do so.

#62 Posted by Pr0metheus (5416 posts) - - Show Bio

@pr0metheus said:

@darkazrael999 said:

@hudyman said:

@darkazrael999 said:

For games that required hardwork and determination and it shows in the final product, NO!

For games that require huge downloads despite the 60$ disk price and crap-load of DRM, YES!

Oh, I disagree! Some games are just bad throughout. Ride to Hell, MOH: Warfighter, Kane and Lynch 2, Fable III, almost every movie-licensed games besides a few ones, Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City and Resident Evil 6, Sonic Free Riders.

I loved Kane and Lynch 2!

Okay. That's cool. What did you like about it?

I had typed out a long message but i put it in a spoiler block and deleted it..

After typing it out i realised everything i actually like with the game was visual. The gameplay was decent but i loved the visuals.

CO-OP was awful for the non-host

The naked level was fun.

#63 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: You were impatient, so you stole a copy?

That is in no way justified.

#64 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: i hear ya man. some people have it so good that piracy isnt even conceivable to them. i'll tell you a little story. i love ps2 games. i got the ps2 on launch, in my country. very expensive. loved it. the sellers asked me if i wanted a mod chip for it or pirated games. they said could hook me up. they are still in bussiness now. but that's not the point now. the ps4 is almost out. they are still selling ps2 games at almost 60$ price tags. we do not have swap meets like you see on game collecting youtube videos. i cant go anywhere and get a used ps2 game for 10$. most americans dont even buy the game new. they either wait for the price to drop, buy it second hand or on steam, which doesnt help the developer that much. some developers consider buying a game second hand as bad as piracy. i have over 100 ps2 games, none of them original but you know what? it got me into gaming and the prays by word of mouth for sony and game developers is better than nothing from me.

#65 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes there are cases where you just can't actually find a film available on DVD or Blu Ray. And if you can it can be really expensive to purchase.

Just something that is worth bringing up on here.

Also its interesting that You Tube does actually have a fair amount of full movies on their for free. Some have being on there for years too.

#66 Posted by impossibilly (892 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a certain irony when people who idolize superheroes defend piracy.

#67 Posted by ghost_runner (278 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant speak for anyone else but piracy is the only reason i got into comics. I cant get them were i live, not only that but piracy seemed the only reasonable way to get into comics, what with the insane amount of history i would need to catch up on. Now i can happily say that i buy trades like crazy from the internet.

reading comics turns you into a fan and most of the time only fans buy comics, thats what it allowed me and few of my friends to do. As for fans who can easily buy the books and still choose not to, yeah those guys are dicks but the most likely still wouldnt buy the books if piracy were gone. I personally think its a good way to get people start reading comics, and then to tell them to actually buy the comics.

Theres a video of neil gaiman i saw in which he said giving away one of his books digitaly away for free really grew his fan base.

not only that but did any onw take into account all those awful events we have to read to keep up with whats going on with the universe ( AvX, trinty war). These books dont deserve our money but we buy them to keep up and the publishers only look at sales. So heres an idea insead of being forced to buy a comic, read it through piracy, and spend your money on a smaller book that deserves it(like hawkeye or ghosted)

#68 Posted by hudyman (1735 posts) - - Show Bio

@hudyman said:

@darkazrael999 said:

Exactly what i was talking about, i absolutely adored Fable 3, it had everything i had been searching for, the entire medieval feel was just so exciting and helped alot to make the game more enjoyable.

Oh and guess what, it was pirated

#69 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

No, especially with an industry in as bad shape as the comic industry.

#70 Posted by WarBlade539 (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh and what about the crapload of DRM on the disc? I paid 60$ for it and they couldn't give me the entire game. Why does it need to download entire files in the GB range and they call it updating? In the older days, the entire game would in the bought discs. I have poor internet back home and I cannot keep the laptop on all the time.

Besides, I did buy the game. After that I pirated it.

#71 Posted by BumpyBoo (10445 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya lily-livered landlubbers, piracy be a jolly thin'.

Live like a real scurvy dog, matey.

Hehehe! Like what you did there ^__^

#72 Posted by WarBlade539 (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

Honestly, the only argument I see for piracy is "why should I pay for it when everybody else does?" And if you can't see what's wrong with that, I don't really know where I'm heading with this sentence. For unattainable stuff, I could maybe see a justification, but other than that, no. It's wrong.

How about DRM? How about games that, despite paying full price for the CD, also require a truck-load of downloads and not everyone has good internet all over the world? Some people don't have internet at home. How about bad games? How about games that try to rip you off?

#73 Edited by scorpion2501 (6598 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

@scorpion2501 said:

Ya lily-livered landlubbers, piracy be a jolly thin'.

Live like a real scurvy dog, matey.

Hehehe! Like what you did there ^__^

Hehe :p. Thank you.

#74 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

That scenario is perfectly justified. He payed for the media, he should be able to obtain it in any means he sees fit. If that means downloading then so be it.

He payed for his copy, he should be able to play it. He isn't stealing, he's taking whats rightfully his.

#75 Posted by WarBlade539 (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_ said:

@imthedamnbatman said:

That scenario is perfectly justified. He payed for the media, he should be able to obtain it in any means he sees fit. If that means downloading then so be it.

He payed for his copy, he should be able to play it. He isn't stealing, he's taking whats rightfully his.

Thank you, Mr. Pierce. Thank you.

#76 Posted by w0nd (3883 posts) - - Show Bio

Rarely have I seen someone with a stack of games say "I didn't like this so I disposed of it" they usually just steal it plain and simple.

#78 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22729 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes said:

Well... i watch One Piece so...

getting into dragonball so.....

#79 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

No it's not justified but that's not going to stop me people from doing it frequently

#80 Edited by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

How about DRM? How about games that, despite paying full price for the CD, also require a truck-load of downloads and not everyone has good internet all over the world? Some people don't have internet at home. How about bad games? How about games that try to rip you off?

Then that's really just too bad.

#81 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: It's not their fault you don't have proper access for the game. Try to justify it all you want, you stole a copy of something they required you to buy. Not having the correct means to access it doesn't justify stealing a copy.

#82 Edited by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Buyer beware. It's not the company's fault he can't correctly download the game, and it certainly doesn't justify stealing another copy.

If I bought a gun and the gun doesn't fire, I can't walk into the store and steal another off the shelf.

#83 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman: that what you're going with? the gun comparison? nonsensical. the buyer mentality. 'i have the money so only i can enjoy it because money'.

#84 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@turel_hash_ak_gik: It was just example. I can use it with anything. Watch:

I bought a T.V. and it didn't work. I cannot go into a store and steal another T.V.

#85 Edited by WarBlade539 (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: It's not their fault you don't have proper access for the game. Try to justify it all you want, you stole a copy of something they required you to buy. Not having the correct means to access it doesn't justify stealing a copy.

You are not getting it. I bought the physical copy. I should be able to install it on my pc and play it, right off the bat. Why do I need to have to download entire GBs worth of files when I already have the physical game. Can't they release a finished product on launch? That's like publishing a book but the last few pages are sold separately. That is horse-sh**, pardon my language. What about the people who don't have home internet?

This never existed before. When I was younger, the game would come in it's physical copy. There were no 'online activations'. Buy a game, put in on your DVD drive, enter code, install it and play.

#86 Posted by Night Thrasher (3705 posts) - - Show Bio

Piracy is a false crime. The whole debate was that by downloading an album, game or whatever then you are taking money out of the creators pockets. That's assuming that a) the person downloading the file has enough interest in the product to buy the product to begin with and b) that the product itself warrants the sales price in the mind of the consumer. What I can say is that for every album that has been pirated that the sales of those albums haven't been hurt in a measurable way. Most people who have a pirated copy who intended to buy the album will buy the album. Most who have no interest don't.

#87 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: Again, it isn't the company's fault you lack the required equipment to play the game.

Maybe you should have read up on what the game required, and then you wouldn't be having this problem. The fact seperate parts of the game have to be downloaded doesn't verify stealing the content.

As a Criminal Justice Major, it's very fascinating to read all the justifications criminals come up with. I'll have to print these off and show them to my professor.

#88 Edited by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Buyer beware. It's not the company's fault he can't correctly download the game, and it certainly doesn't justify stealing another copy.

If I bought a gun and the gun doesn't fire, I can't walk into the store and steal another off the shelf.

But you're comparing him downloading data to stealing a physical thing. The company isn't losing out on another sale because he already purchased his copy. Pirating isn't stealing in the sense that nothing is missing. The company isn't losing out on anything unless they for some reason expect him to purchase another copy of the same game because the first one didn't download accordingly?

Please explain to me what him downloading a copy of something he already owns is hurting? Or whom?

#89 Edited by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman said:

As a Criminal Justice Major, it's very fascinating to read all the justifications criminals come up with. I'll have to print these off and show them to my professor.

Why is it that every kid in college thinks that they are some sort of expert on the things they are going to school for? Talk to me when you're actually employed in the criminal justice field. Just because i'm attending (attended?) the police academy doesn't mean i'm a cop.

EDIT:
(also a college student btw)

#90 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: How about he contacts the company that he has an issue, instead of illegally obtaining the file? He may have already purchased the phsycial copy, but if he had issues with it he should have contacted them instead of going behind their backs.

The problem with piracy is that it isn't tangible- but it's still theft.

Take patents for example. If I come up with an amazing idea for a new invention, but my colleague steals my ideas and presents the idea first, that's still stealing even though it isn't tangible. That is why patents were put into place; legal protections that protect your intangible thoughts from being stolen. Same applies to piracy.

Who's hurt with piracy? The company. They supplied a means to legally purchase the game, and he bought it. When he encountered issues, he should have contacted the company instead of downloading an illegal file. The company has no idea what he could be doing with tht

at illegal file; He could be burning new discs with the game, and selling them for himself. He could be corrupting the file. He could be marketing the file with alterations as his own.

There's a whole array of issues with piracy. People think that because it's not a tangible item, it's not theft. They're wrong.

#91 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: I think you should reread my post. I never stated to be an expert, but I certainly already know more than the common populace about law. I never claimed to be an expert, though, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

#92 Posted by Renchamp (2911 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate almost everything about this entitled thread. The fact of the matter is that it is illegal. You are breaking the law when you pirate anything. I don't care if it is something you may not be that interested in that you wouldn't buy anyway. Why waste your time, then? It's being a passive criminal. There are some instances where you could make a good case for it (like the game in a foreign country that was purchased but didn't work) but doing it with old games just because it isn't conveniently available is a crime. The creator has the constitutional right to a monopoly on distributing his stuff. If he chooses not to do so then you wait for the copyright (or whatever protection is in use) to expire. It is not a right to have it simply because it exists, just not for whatever system you have. It's selfish. It violates rights.

#93 Edited by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: How about he contacts the company that he has an issue, instead of illegally obtaining the file? He may have already purchased the phsycial copy, but if he had issues with it he should have contacted them instead of going behind their backs.

The problem with piracy is that it isn't tangible- but it's still theft.

Take patents for example. If I come up with an amazing idea for a new invention, but my colleague steals my ideas and presents the idea first, that's still stealing even though it isn't tangible. That is why patents were put into place; legal protections that protect your intangible thoughts from being stolen. Same applies to piracy.

Who's hurt with piracy? The company. They supplied a means to legally purchase the game, and he bought it. When he encountered issues, he should have contacted the company instead of downloading an illegal file. The company has no idea what he could be doing with tht

at illegal file; He could be burning new discs with the game, and selling them for himself. He could be corrupting the file. He could be marketing the file with alterations as his own.

There's a whole array of issues with piracy. People think that because it's not a tangible item, it's not theft. They're wrong.

Half of your argument is you telling me that tangible theft is wrong which I never said it wasn't. Your comparisons don't make any sense and you're circling around my questions. You compared stealing someones idea to copying something someone already owned. In the first scenario we have someone getting cheated out of their creation. In the second scenario we have someone who purchased something then downloaded the same exact thing after purchase which physically/emotionally/financially hurts NO ONE.

Does pirating data hurt companies? In the long term, no, but for arguments sake let's say yes ( because that's not what we're discussing or debating here, See this link if you have any questions as to they "why". Piracy Isnt Hurting the Entertainment Industry ) How does this particular case harm the company at all if they already took his money? It doesn't because they already made profit.

As for your suggestion that pirating could lead to corrupting the "illegal file" all I have to say to that is "sooo?". I could (if I wanted to) do the same with any physical copy. All this "What if?" stuff could be applied to anything and everything not just stuff that is pirated.

#94 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: I think you should reread my post. I never stated to be an expert, but I certainly already know more than the common populace about law. I never claimed to be an expert, though, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

It's not important, but you feel the need to keep mentioning that you're studying Criminal Justice as if that validates anything.

#95 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Frankly I don't feel like debating right now and am tired of writing.

The only absolute fact in this whole thread is that piracy is illegal and you are breaking the law. There are little to no justifications for it. End of story.

#96 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp said:

I hate almost everything about this entitled thread. The fact of the matter is that it is illegal. You are breaking the law when you pirate anything. I don't care if it is something you may not be that interested in that you wouldn't buy anyway. Why waste your time, then? It's being a passive criminal. There are some instances where you could make a good case for it (like the game in a foreign country that was purchased but didn't work) but doing it with old games just because it isn't conveniently available is a crime. The creator has the constitutional right to a monopoly on distributing his stuff. If he chooses not to do so then you wait for the copyright (or whatever protection is in use) to expire. It is not a right to have it simply because it exists, just not for whatever system you have. It's selfish. It violates rights.

Yes, to the entire thing. The bold is the best part.

#97 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Of course it validates what I'm saying. I have my CJ textbook right in front of me and am reading on Piracy. How can you suggest it doesn't?

So how about I just hack into your computer and take your files for myself? You're cool with that, right?

#98 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Frankly I don't feel like debating right now and am tired of writing.

The only absolute fact in this whole thread is that piracy is illegal and you are breaking the law. There are little to no justifications for it. End of story.

Fine with me and i'm glad to see that you came to an understanding that in some cases there is justification for piracy which is the only thing I have been arguing this entire time. Toodles.

#99 Edited by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: The only justification being a situation in which you had no option. Example:

"This terrorist was going to kill my family unless I pirated these files".

The selfish reasons you were suggesting are not justifications.

#100 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Of course it validates what I'm saying. I have my CJ textbook right in front of me and am reading on Piracy. How can you suggest it doesn't?

So how about I just hack into your computer and take your files for myself? You're cool with that, right?

What you have in your hands is easily accessible with a simple Google search, you going to school for Criminal Justice means nothing to me.

If that is a threat, then i'd like to see you not only try but get away with it.

If that is another sorry attempt to compare file sharing with file stealing then by all means stop now.