Is Music Really Dead? Or is it a generation thing?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssejllenrad

Ok here's the deal. We all say music is dead with all the Biebers and Rebecca Blacks and what not. But is it really dead? Or do each generation, by instinct, just think the succeeding music passed their time sucks?

Beatles was deemed unbearable by the old guys back in their days but are now benchmark in music history. I hear a lot of 90's rappers (and fans) say hip hop is dead. But I've heard the same thing back in the Eastside v Westside era from the 80's rappers and that era turned out to be the best time period in rap history.  When Metallica came out, rockers before them branded them as too loud to be real musicians. But they are now among the standards by which the rock is measured.

With that said, I pretty much hate modern rock, rap and pop. But I sense I bias in it. I pretty much generally prefer mid-late 90's to early 2000's rock bands and hip hop artists than the ones that just began their careers in mid 2000's onwards. Thoughts?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kal'smahboi

You're just not looking in the right places. In my opinion, we just happen to live in a time when the best music is not the most popular, very much unlike music of past decades.

Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Darkseid Elite

Yes mainstream rap music is dead. Rap in general isn't dead though. Lots of good underground artist out there. Hip hop today isn't about skill, just swag. Just gotta search and you'll find it.
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lagoon_boy
It's not dead, it just isn't as good as those from 70's, 80's, and 90's.
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kal'smahboi
@Darkseid Elite@lagoon_boy: It's the same with rock, to a degree. I wouldn't say that no good groups make it, but the mainstream is generally a crap shoot.
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lagoon_boy
@Kal'smahboi: Agreed. Sometimes the fans that follow the footsteps of their favorite bands seem to have the better music despite performing locally than those who want to make a name for themselves, trying to surpass the big names they listened to.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

it's not dead, just look somewhere that doesn't show just mainstream stuff, all the mainstream music you see on Mtv or vh1 nowadays is just lame repetitive club music

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaptainTightPants

You might have to look towards the independent side of things. I love older music just as much as the next guy but  I discovered more and more music from the 2000's and on. As I found more I found that I liked it not just as much, but substantially more than older music.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssejllenrad

You guys are right. I still am a fan of non-mainstrem rock bands. Any suggestions for good indy hip hop artists?

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By cyberninja
@ssejllenrad said:
You guys are right. I still am a fan of non-mainstrem rock bands. Any suggestions for good indy hip hop artists?

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By armylife1124

I think that music is much like clothing trends, it is all cyclical, but there are often lulls in music, or you get periods of over saturation(hair bands, boy bands, teen bop, gangsta rap, and T-Pain).  I think that you could say the people involved are not as talented as the people in the 70s through 90s, because it is so much easier for anyone to put out some music nowdays, and with auto-tune type songs anyone can sing, or pretend to.  In each era you just had to look through all the crap to find the worth while stuff......

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ssejllenrad said:
MF DOOM 
Jean Grae 
Tech N9ne 
Termanology 
Murs 
Edgar Allan Flow 
Kaze 
Little Brother 
Sean Price 
Chaundon 
Buckshot 
Thryday 
MF Grimm 
Skyzoo  
Illmaculate 
Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Green Skin
@Kal'smahboi said:
You're just not looking in the right places. In my opinion, we just happen to live in a time when the best music is not the most popular, very much unlike music of past decades.
QFT
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ssejllenrad said:
Ok here's the deal. We all say music is dead with all the Biebers and Rebecca Blacks and what not. But is it really dead? Or do each generation, by instinct, just think the succeeding music passed their time sucks?  Beatles was deemed unbearable by the old guys back in their days but are now benchmark in music history. I hear a lot of 90's rappers (and fans) say hip hop is dead. But I've heard the same thing back in the Eastside v Westside era from the 80's rappers and that era turned out to be the best time period in rap history.  When Metallica came out, rockers before them branded them as too loud to be real musicians. But they are now among the standards by which the rock is measured.  With that said, I pretty much hate modern rock, rap and pop. But I sense I bias in it. I pretty much generally prefer mid-late 90's to early 2000's rock bands and hip hop artists than the ones that just began their careers in mid 2000's onwards. Thoughts?
Yes..music is dead.If you have to say "all the best music is underground" that means it's dead.Most genre's of music have become commercialized and more like Pop relying on gimmicks and the images of the artist rather than their music.I don't know why people say music is dead because of people like Justin Beiber.I don't like Beiber's music but he is a pop artist.He doesn't make music for people like me.He has his audience and he sticks to that.People weren't saying music was dead when Britneys Spears garbage albums were selling and she has far less talent than Beiber.The Internet killed music and pretty much ALL forms of entertainment.The people who are left still buying music CD's and downloading legally on iTunes are the people who have the least respect for the music.So the mainstream is stuck with the garbage.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King_Saturn
Music is in a Bad Position in current years... 
Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Samimista
@The Stegman said:
it's not dead, just look somewhere that doesn't show just mainstream stuff, all the mainstream music you see on Mtv or vh1 nowadays is just lame repetitive club music
Quoted for the truth.
progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By progenitorigin

It's a generation thing.  Music is never dead, there is always someone who will like something, there are millions of people with different preferences, for example, so far the best decade for music in my opinion is the 90's, and I was born in the 80's. 
utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By utotheg38
@King Saturn said:
This
Shuma-Gorath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Shuma-Gorath
90s music of all genres was much better than what the fleshlings listen to currently.
Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Bestostero

It's personal preference.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By cosmo111687
@Kal'smahboi said:
Exactly. There's still plenty of talent around but it's not finding much main stream representation due to the risks involved in producing new artists with record sales being as low as they are. It just makes more sense for record companies to invest in Justin Biebers, Britney Spears, and Lady Gagas than your average indie band.
Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
@King Saturn said:

Yep and Hip-hop is dead Nas put it the best.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gravitypress

Record labels don't take any chances that's why new music sucks.