Is Manny Pacquiao the most popular Filipino in the world?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jhazzroucher

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By superstay

Sounds probable d^_^b d_1_b

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheSheepHerder

Yus.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JohnnyGat

Yes.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheThe

what about Charice, apl.de.ap from the black eyed peas and Nicole Scherzinger from the Pussycat Dolls ?Maybe they dont count because they are americans from filipino descent...I dont know. Anyway, my favorite is Billy Crawford :D

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

Nope. Most famous is pedo-face guy...

Pinoys represent!

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnnyGat

@TheThe said:

what about Charice, apl.de.ap from the black eyed peas and Nicole Scherzinger from the Pussycat Dolls ?Maybe they dont count because they are americans from filipino descent...I dont know. Anyway, my favorite is Billy Crawford :D

Most famous.

Apl.de.ap alone isn't as famous as Pacquiao. Apl's fame is as one of the least recognizable of the BEP. Nicole maybe a good singer but the problem with the popularity of pop musicians is that they're only as good as the number of hits they make and the competition they are currently facing. Compare the popularity of Scherzinger with Lady Gaga or Katy Perry and she just seems insignificant and forgotten. The same could be said of Charice considering she has chosen to go more of a pop route and even if she stuck with what got her famous that genre isn't really pop culture material. And I don't even know who Billy Crawford is.

Pacquiao on the other hand is at the top area of his field. He's racking up accolades more people know him. More people acknowledge him. The constant need for the masses to see a Pacquiao Mayweather fight keeps his status in his field interesting as opposed to pop musicians who needs a stream of hits to stay relevant.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheThe

@JohnnyGat said:

@TheThe said:

Most famous.

Apl.de.ap alone isn't as famous as Pacquiao. Apl's fame is as one of the least recognizable of the BEP. Nicole maybe a good singer but the problem with the popularity of pop musicians is that they're only as good as the number of hits they make and the competition they are currently facing. Compare the popularity of Scherzinger with Lady Gaga or Katy Perry and she just seems insignificant and forgotten. The same could be said of Charice considering she has chosen to go more of a pop route and even if she stuck with what got her famous that genre isn't really pop culture material. And I don't even know who Billy Crawford is.

Pacquiao on the other hand is at the top area of his field. He's racking up accolades more people know him. More people acknowledge him. The constant need for the masses to see a Pacquiao Mayweather fight keeps his status in his field interesting as opposed to pop musicians who needs a stream of hits to stay relevant.

We are talking to a world level status. I think Nicole Scherzinger (she is a jury in TV shows outside the US) and Apl.de.ap got more exposure than Manny, because Pop music is more mainstream than boxing and because Manny is not a superstar outside his sports. Of course the top fighters are well known, but Manny nore Floyd are Tyson and Ali. Those two were cultural phenomenons.

In the other hand, everybody knows at least Nicole and Apl.de.ap faces. I wont say the same for Manny of Floyd. But i give you Apl.de.ap name (or nickname) isnt that known because he's not Fergie or Will.i.am. According to me on global level Nicole Scherzinger is as famous as Manny, maybe even more.

Ps: Billy Crawford is mostably known in Europe, particularly in France. In the early noughties he was- alone - the equivalent of N'sync here .

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JohnnyGat

@TheThe said:

@JohnnyGat said:

@TheThe said:

Most famous.

We are talking to a world level status. I think Nicole Scherzinger (she is a jury in TV shows outside the US) and Apl.de.ap got more exposure than Manny, because Pop music is more mainstream than boxing and because Manny is not a superstar outside his sports. Of course the top fighters are well known, but Manny nore Floyd are Tyson and Ali. Those two were cultural phenomenons.

In the other hand, everybody knows at least Nicole and Apl.de.ap faces. I wont say the same for Manny of Floyd. But i give you Apl.de.ap name (or nickname) isnt that known because he's not Fergie or Will.i.am. According to me on global level Nicole Scherzinger is as famous as Manny, maybe even more.

Ps: Billy Crawford is mostably known in Europe, particularly in France. In the early noughties he was- alone - the equivalent of N'sync here .

But the problem I'm pointing out is Manny has and will be more famous in the long run. The reason is basically the fields they are in. Pop music is more world recognizable yes but as I said before her lasting popularity is totally dependent on the amount of hits she makes and the amount of hits her competition makes and how they compare. I mean off the top of my head when I think of pop superstars Michael Jackson will always come out on top though he wasn't the only one to have hits during his peak most of MJ's competition tends to be overshadowed and forgotten. MJ will be remembered as one of the best of all time. Likewise in sports even if Pac and Mayweather cannot compare with Tyson or Ali with the accolades they have gained both are shoe in to be immortalized in whatever boxing hall of fame there is should no controversy that would tarnish their image (any more than it has) pop out.

Plus the problem with Nicole is that whenever I see people who aren't really into pop culture see her they don't say hey look it's Nicole, they say hey it's that chick from the Pussy Cat Dolls. I guess it all comes down to perspectives on what counts as "fame". Obviously we have differing views on it, I'm not saying you're wrong you could very well be more correct than me but I still disagree mainly because as I said before we probably just have different views on how we judge a person's fame.

To me the real mark of fame is the mark you leave in the field you're in and the individuality that they can represent.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Magian

Who is he?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ssejllenrad

I thought I was the most popular one... Hmmm... Maybe I'm not being mentioned cause I ain't pure blood... Nyahahaha!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jhazzroucher

@TheThe said:

@JohnnyGat said:

@TheThe said:

Most famous.

When people around the world think of boxing, they think of Pacquaio.

when people think about music, it could be Charice, Sharon, Apl, Nicole, etc.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By nefarious

No.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikethekiller

Probably

drreneninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15  Edited By drreneninja

To be honest, the only one I've heard of is Manny Pacquiao, though I'm way more in tune with sports than pop music.

A fair question to ask, have more sports-inclined people heard of Pacquiao than music-inclined heard of Apl.de.ap, Charice or Nicole Scherzinger? Who is bigger in the field? My vote would still be for Pacquiao, because he's considered one of the best pound for pound fighters in boxing. I don't think the same could be said for any of the artists.

MB25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MB25

I'm actually the most famous pinoy in the world..you all just dont know it

Grand Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers