Is Lil Wayne one of the greatest rappers ever?

• 143 results
Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By Pharoh_Atem
No Caption Provided

As the thread title ask, do you think Wayne will go down as one of the best to do it? With Lil Wayne nearing the end of his career this year, I've been pondering his place among the greatest rappers of all-time.

To me, Lil Wayne IS one of the greatest to ever do it. He has withstood the test of time, and is still relevant to the public after being in the game for over a decade and a half, something, that only the likes of Jay-Z and Eminem has did more effectively, and that's debatable.

In terms of technical skills? Lil Wayne is beyond solid, he's actually pretty good. In terms of multisyllable rhymes schemes, Lil Wayne was good with that in his prime.

"Swagger tighter than a geese erection/

Fly go hard like yeast infection/"

"She remembered the name

It's Weezy Baby, January December the same"

"I'm a Young Money millionaire, tougher than Nigerian hair

My criteria compared to your career just isn't fair

I'm a venereal disease like a menstrual bleed"

In terms of word-play, no one shorter than Jay-Z is messing with him in that category (this is referring to mainstream of course),

Lines like

"And I hope I'm fishing in the right pond

And I hope you catchin' on to every line"

"Been in that water since a youngin you just shark food

Quick Draw McGraw I went to art school"

Those lines above are pure genius if you understood them. In terms of body of work, Wayne has several classics under his belt (imo) and has one of the greatest rap albums off all-time in his discography Tha Carter IV.

He has the influence, the accolades, sales, skills and relevance, so why is Wayne not in the G.O.A.T conversation? Granted, he has been sub-par these past few years, but how does that erase, the greatness has has put out for the vast majority of his career?

For all intents and purpose, this man is one of the greatest to ever do it, yet people put Weezy up there what the likes of Soulja Boy (really -_-). Well, that's enough of my rambling, what do you guys think? Is he in your top 10 (He is in my top 5 atm) or is he one of the most overrated rappers ever?

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not by a long shot

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not one of the best ever, but when he's clicking on all cylinders, he's very good.

@slimj87d said:

Not by a long shot

You listen to rap?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Out-f*cking-standing.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably top 7.

He has a pretty awesome vocabulary thou.

Beata

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

Not by a long shot

Mind explaining why? And not just what the lame, "he sux" argument.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've found myself laughing at a lot of his lyrics because I find them unintentionally hilarious.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

I have to be honest I've taken a few shots at Lil Wayne recently for alot of his songs, but he's made a few songs which I've really liked, and he was hot as shit between 2005-2007.

He's also worth more money than most other Rappers by a signifcant amount.

I remember kicking it to Miss Officer back in the day.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I've found myself laughing at a lot of his lyrics because I find them unintentionally hilarious.

I think you can attribute that to the fact that he literally writes down whatever comes to his mind.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hes good, very good infact. But i wouldn't put him with the best to ever dun do it

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I think you can attribute that to the fact that he literally writes down whatever comes to his mind.

Interesting way of doing it.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ChillxPill

@dccomicsrule2011: Afew years ago he was up there to be considered one of the greatest because of his influence on the game (Like Tupac in a way).

Lyrically, he was no Eminem, but he still held his own (The Jay-Z examples you provided are proof of this) More people should give Wayne some credit.. he's very intelligent.

I honestly think he gets a bad rep because of his appearance, and the situations he's been in.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Truth be told, that's one of Wayne best traits. With his Punchlines and word-play, I'm either going "OOOOH did you catch that!!" or "WTF?!! O_o"

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He sux

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By legacy6364
No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Young Money eaten, all you haters do is add salt."

: )

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By slimj87d

@dccomicsrule2011:

This is just my personal opinion, but what a rapper raps about is important to me. I understand it's a money making game and sometimes you have to collaborate with the dance crowd to make music that people can dance to, but I never cared for Lil Wayne much because I was never really touched by any of his songs.

But then again a lot of rappers I grew up with had a common theme of rapping about how tough they were and how growing up in the streets was tough to them. I can see how this trend of the 90s could be distasteful to others.

I'm sorry for not giving you props on your post though, I was stuck at a very long red light and when I finally had a chance to post it turned green. You make valid points, this is just my personal opinion because I grew up in a different decade where rap was different and I'm not too fond of autotune either.

@wolverine08: sure. Mostly in the 90s though.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By comicace3

Ha! no.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ChillxPill

In addition Weezy is in top 10.

"Never met the bitch, but I f*cked her like I missed her"

one of my favorite lines from him that made me laugh so damn hard.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@slimj87d:

This is just my personal opinion, but what a rapper raps about is important to me. I understand it's a money making game and sometimes you have to collaborate with the dance crowd to make music that people can dance to, but I never cared for Lil Wayne much because I was never really touched by any of his songs.

But then again a lot of rappers I grow up with had a common theme of rapping about how tough they were and how growing up in the streets was to them.

I'm sorry for not giving you props on your post though, I was stuck at a very long red light and when I finally had a chance to post it turned green. You make valid points, this is just my personal opinion because I grew up in a different decade where rap was different and I'm not too fond of autotune either.

Hehe Fair enough dude. Everyone has their, own opinion and I respect yours. There is no right or wrong opinions when it comes to these sort of things mostly. : )

Deathstroke02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ew, no.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#24  Edited By MadeinBangladesh
No Caption Provided

This thread has to be joke right? If not......

No Caption Provided

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

Not by a long shot

Mind explaining why? And not just what the lame, "he sux" argument.

It's music, it's subjective...when it comes to the arts "debating" is silly...either you like it or you don't. There really is no real reason to explain why.

Anyway...

My Greatest Rappers

1. A. Tupac

B. Biggie

2. Eminem(Deal With It)

3. Nas

4. Andre From Outcast

5. Mos Def

6. Jay Z(He's Good, But A Bit Overrated IMO)

7. Ghost Face Killer

8. Common

9. LL Cool J

10. Method Man

Hornable Mentions:

Lauryn Hill

DMX

Busta Rhymes

A crap load of other people, I'm sure I missed...

Everyone's list is gonna look different. If you think Wayne is the best and took the time to explain why. Then hell, he's one of the best then. All that matters is what you think.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, but he is good.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wolverine008

GOAT.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@lukehero:

It's music, it's subjective...when it comes to the arts "debating" is silly...either you like it or you don't. There really is no real reason to explain why.

Something can be subjective, but that still doesn't mean someone opinion can't suck, or their reasoning behind it is dumb. If someone said, "I don't like Jay-Z's music, because he is awful lyrically", that would be an terrible argument. Hov's technical skills is amazing when he's at his best, and his word-play is the greatest I've ever heard by any mainstream artist. Those are undeniable facts, when one actually know how to analyze lyrics.

In case of this blog, I wanted reasons for why Wayne is one of the greatest, or why he sucks----there is nothing wrong with me asking.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero:

Something can be subjective, but that still doesn't mean someone opinion can't suck, or their reasoning behind it is dumb. If someone said, I don't like Jay-Z's music, because he is awful lyrically, that would be an terrible argument. Hov's technical skills is amazing when he's at his best, and his word-play is the greatest I've ever heard by any mainstream artist. Those are undeniable facts, when one actually know how to analyze lyrics.

In case of this blog, I wanted reasons for why Wayne is one of the greatest, or why he sucks----there is nothing wrong with me asking.

No music and the arts is 100%, it's not something that you can prove or disprove, it's just about what you like or don't like. Trying to build a reason around it is fine, if you want to explain what you don't like or do like about it. If I was someone who doesn't like Jay Z's lyrics, then I guess I just don't like them.

No there is nothing wrong with it mate, just keep in mind your opinion is your opinion. It's not like a battle board or something else like that. When it comes to music, books, art, tv, movies, etc...we just need to except the fact some of us are going to like things or hate it.

@lukehero: That list though..

Like it? Or think it sucks. :p

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MonsterStomp

No, lol. But I think he can be underrated at times.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: Although things may be subjective, I have to admit he's memorable, which is the chord your post hit in the end. He's been relevant for awhile in the rap community as well as all those guys Luke mentioned.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: No man I like it :D. Glad there are Common fans out there.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@lukehero:

No music and the arts is 100%, it's not something that you can prove or disprove, it's just about what you like or don't like.

As I've said before:

"Something can be subjective, but that still doesn't mean someone opinion can't suck, or their reasoning behind it is dumb."

Trying to build a reason around it is fine, if you want to explain what you don't like or do like about it.

That's the point of this whole blog----I wanted intelligent, rap discussion.

If I was someone who doesn't like Jay Z's lyrics, then I guess I just don't like them.

I'm talking about from a technical stand-point. One can't just say Jay-Z sucks lyrically, because that would be factually incorrect.

Same with Eminem, Nas, etc, etc. They are factually good lyricist. Their double entendre, multisyllble rhymes schemes, rhyme density, etc, etc are undeniable. Anyone knowledgeable on the art of lyricism would agree.

No there is nothing wrong with it mate, just keep in mind your opinion is your opinion. It's not like a battle board or something else like that. When it comes to music, books, art, tv, movies, etc...we just need to except the fact some of us are going to like things or hate it.

*sigh*

Never mind.

I don't think you're even getting the point I'm trying to articulate..

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Not one of the best ever, but when he's clicking on all cylinders, he's very good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

For what it's worth this is Wayne at his best to me.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: Mate I totally get what your saying, but opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. It doesn't make you wrong or right if I didn't like the lyrics, tone, or melody to a song. It just means I did or didn't like it.

@lukehero: No man I like it :D. Glad there are Common fans out there.

Awesome. Go Common Go :D.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 juiceboks  Moderator

Not one of the best..but I'd be lying if I said he didn't have talent and has shown it some odd years ago. I never found his songs or lyrics to be particularly top tier and what I'd bump in my car with my friends. Honestly I can name at least 15 rappers that I believe are more lyrically impressive than him.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@dccomicsrule2011: Mate I totally get what your saying, but opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. It doesn't make you wrong or right if I didn't like the lyrics, tone, or melody to a song. It just means I did or didn't like it.

He's not talking about taste - he's talking about quality. Quality is still technically subjective but realistically speaking it is possible to come to a universal consensus on what good rap is, and what isn't. An opinion can never be factual, but it can be received widely as either reliable or awful.

I don't get why so many people nowadays act like any kind of debate is pointless because there is no way to come to a 100%, factual result. If that were possible the debate itself would probably be boring. There is room for error, and discussion, and that's the whole point of the art of debating.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

I think he just wants to have an in depth conversation about Lil Wayne... So while Opinions are opinions you can talk about them and make a case on them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'd be top 25. So I guess that's one of the best but not really. He's good and I like his stuff but there are just simply better rappers out there. Starting with the two you mentioned in the op, em and Jay-z

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His music gives me cancer.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zaied

Probably. I can see it just based off his run from about 2000-2009. That said, I don't think his newer stuff has been all that great.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers