Is Jailbreaking Electronic devices wrong?

Avatar image for franklinrichards86
franklinrichards86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Someone just told me what jailbreaking is, and it sounds harmless. Why is sony so upset about? What do you guys think?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Static Shock

Depends on the device.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By castleking

no. and pretty sure the courts already ruled saying a person can alter their own property once it is bought

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Rudyftw

Sorry bro, i saw your comment on the other page, but I thought someone answered it.
Is it wrong ? NO

Why? We pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for our PS3's/iPhones etc. Sony and Apple want to make money off of anything and everything. So even though you payed $400 for your PS3, you still have to pay $6 just to add a new wallpaper or background. It doesn't make sense that we have to pay for every little thing. Sony's pissed because they want your money. $6 may not seem like a lot for a multi-million dollar corporation, but $6 times every PS3 user out there adds up to a lot. It just plain greedy dawg. 

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Static Shock

To elaborate on 'harmless,' I'm referring to the efficiency of the device being jailbroken and whether or not its warranty will be voided as a result.

franklinrichards86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i figured jailbreaking would allow you to do something a lil cooler than adding free wallpapers, i cant believe sony is pissed about that. I figured it allowed you free access to DC online, or something

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Static Shock
@franklinrichards86: From what I heard, it also allows the use of homebrew games or something like that. I'm pretty sure that it's much deeper than just wallpapers.
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Rudyftw
@franklinrichards86: Theres more than just wall papers.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Lance Uppercut

Like Static said, depends on the device. It does void your warranty on the phone though. 

franklinrichards86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have any of you guys done it to your phones or gaming systems? If you have, would you suggest doing it?
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By castleking
@Static Shock said:
" @franklinrichards86: From what I heard, it also allows the use of homebrew games or something like that. I'm pretty sure that it's much deeper than just wallpapers. "
compatibility to other devices as well without paying separate stuff from the manufacturer
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Static Shock
@castleking: That too.

@franklinrichards86 said:
" Have any of you guys done it to your phones or gaming systems? If you have, would you suggest doing it? "
I came close to jailbreaking my Samsung Vibrant. When the person helping me told me that it would void my warranty, I quickly did a factory reset on my phone and disregarded the idea of jailbreaking it, altogether.
Avatar image for cypher_s_gambit
Cypher's Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cypher's Gambit

Jailbreaking is what killed the Sega Dreamcast.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By isaac_clarke

@Rudyftw said:

"Sorry bro, i saw your comment on the other page, but I thought someone answered it.Is it wrong ? NOWhy? We pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for our PS3's/iPhones etc. Sony and Apple want to make money off of anything and everything. So even though you payed $400 for your PS3, you still have to pay $6 just to add a new wallpaper or background. It doesn't make sense that we have to pay for every little thing. Sony's pissed because they want your money. $6 may not seem like a lot for a multi-million dollar corporation, but $6 times every PS3 user out there adds up to a lot. It just plain greedy dawg.  "

Considering you can just put up a wall paper you get straight from the internet (At least I remember doing this at least once for some pretty picture) theres plenty of free avatars and free backgrounds to download from PSN, you don't need to grab ones you have to pay for them.

On that note, since when did any of the ones worth money cost 6 bucks?

That and 400 dollars is PS3 Phat from years ago, PS3's have been costing a lot less for the past few years.

@franklinrichards86 said:

"

i figured jailbreaking would allow you to do something a lil cooler than adding free wallpapers, i cant believe sony is pissed about that. I figured it allowed you free access to DC online, or something

"

Download stolen games. =P

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

I've jailbroken an iPod but I restored it. I could never imagine hacking into a 360 or PS3.