Posted by darkman61288 (728 posts) - - Show Bio

I recently had a great realization of a great truth that DC needs new heroes. They need them because Marvel, their biggest rival, is being so successful because their heroes are newer. This is most true in film, where Marvel is being extremely successful. People are seeing their movies because of the fact they are newer.

What DC should do is have heroes be the stars if you will. Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman , Flash and others need to be puton the backburner. This would allow new stories and ideas to enter the readers minds. The New 52 is nothing a reuse of old ideas and storylines from past. Hell, Thrones of Altantis is basiclly adapting a JL episode called " Enemy Below." The so called power couple is not original and is an act of desperation. It is a novelty that is going to wear off. Other stories like H'el on Earth, and Nightof the Owls are just generic Superman and Batman stories. DotF is a reuse of ADitF.

What new heroes DC should do? Well for one how bout a series about cops in a city without a superhero who battle supervillans. Another idea is take allready exsisting character like Lois Lane and her or them into spies.

I dont mean to make waves but DC has to innovate. Nothing they have done is an innovation. Now dont get me wrong I still love Batman and Wonder Woman but they should pushed a litle to the side. Tell me what you think.

#1 Posted by impossibilly (885 posts) - - Show Bio

Are Marvel's top heroes actually that newer? With the exception of Deadpool, the Marvel heroes with movies were created 30-70 years ago. Deadpool's not even that new. We're 20 years out from his creation.

Getting readers to back new heroes is tough. Look at the titles from the New52 that have been cancelled. For the most part, they starred dramatically new versions of existing properties. The same is true for Marvel. Compare Avengers Academy's sales numbers vs. any other 616 comic with Avengers in the title.

#2 Edited by darkman61288 (728 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly: Yea but they newer than Dc's. A way to get readers back new heroes is to not publish old heroes for a little bit.And besides Iron man and Thor are seem new to the General Public.

#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6431 posts) - - Show Bio

This whole idea of yours newer is better is just bad

#4 Posted by batshrine (994 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash and GL are as old as some of the Marvel characters...

Superman: 1938 (First ever "superhero")

Batman: 1939 (Highest selling solo hero in film, and tv, and in modern comics)

Captain America: 1941

Flash: 1956

Wonder Woman: 1958 (Original WW was in 1941, but our current conception of her is from WW #98)

Green Lantern (Hal): 1959

Hulk: 1961

Thor: 1961

Aquaman: 1962

Iron Man: 1963

Hawkeye: 1964

So as you can see they are roughly the same age, and the two oldest characters are THE MOST ICONIC superheroes EVER. I mean I love Batman to death and he will outsell any of these heroes any day, and not even he has Superman's ability to be as iconic as Superman.

And have you ever read A Death in the Family?!?! Because it is NOTHING like Death of the Family. The title is paying homage to ADitF, but otherwise there are NO similarities other than continuity...

I mean innovation is great but comic people are creatures of habit, and its hard for them to adopt new things, especially in a time when reading comics is no where near the silver age figures. I mean even in the 80's the highest selling comic was MArv WOlfmans New Teen Titans where he would sell 900,000 comics per issue. Thats insane! Batman and Justice League are barely braking 100,000 now a days.

#5 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4699 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: So you're saying you want to buy new novelty plastic cups and plates.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (19125 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

Flash and GL are as old as some of the Marvel characters...

Superman: 1938 (First ever "superhero")

Batman: 1939 (Highest selling solo hero in film, and tv, and in modern comics)

Captain America: 1941

Flash: 1956

Wonder Woman: 1958 (Original WW was in 1941, but our current conception of her is from WW #98)

Green Lantern (Hal): 1959

Hulk: 1961

Thor: 1961

Aquaman: 1962

Iron Man: 1963

Hawkeye: 1964

So as you can see they are roughly the same age, and the two oldest characters are THE MOST ICONIC superheroes EVER. I mean I love Batman to death and he will outsell any of these heroes any day, and not even he has Superman's ability to be as iconic as Superman.

And have you ever read A Death in the Family?!?! Because it is NOTHING like Death of the Family. The title is paying homage to ADitF, but otherwise there are NO similarities other than continuity...

I mean innovation is great but comic people are creatures of habit, and its hard for them to adopt new things, especially in a time when reading comics is no where near the silver age figures. I mean even in the 80's the highest selling comic was MArv WOlfmans New Teen Titans where he would sell 900,000 comics per issue. Thats insane! Batman and Justice League are barely braking 100,000 now a days.

This totally sums up why the OP's suggestion wouldn't work.

/thread

#7 Posted by darkman61288 (728 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Look at this way, why are comics not selling in the 80s anymore? Maybe it is because of the lack of new characters.I am not saying stop publishing superman Batman and Wonder Woman,But allow new characters to become just as iconic as the old ones if not more. Or at least change who they are from time to time but not yet in maybe 10 to 15 years.

#8 Posted by Lvenger (19125 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288 said:

@Lvenger: Look at this way, why are comics not selling in the 80s anymore? Maybe it is because of the lack of new characters.I am not saying stop publishing superman Batman and Wonder Woman,But allow new characters to become just as iconic as the old ones if not more. Or at least change who they are from time to time but not yet in maybe 10 to 15 years.

Look the thing is that classic characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and more contain far more appeal than the other characters. They're genre defining in terms of personality, character development, backstory, villains and in more ways. Nowadays, new characters rarely cut the mustard. Who would you suggest to take over the role of Superman or Batman? If it ain't broke don't fix it. As for your point about the fall in comic sales, it is so not down to new characters. For one, the process of making comics has changed and the process is more expensive now. Secondly with the rise of movies, TVs and video games, there are other ways of stimulating our desire for visual fiction. And there are more. So changing up the roster of DC's pantheon of comic book characters would be a wasteful, counter productive process that would piss long time fans off even more than the New 52 has done.

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: Most of Marvel's top characters have been around since the 60s, Cap and Namor are almost as old as Superman and Batman

#10 Posted by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Put their most iconic characters on the sideline? That is foolish. You don't bench your best players at ttime like this DC needs to put out movies for it's big 3 yesterday. Marvel has virtually no new heroes they have the same heroes they have had since the 60's.

#11 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

Superman: 1938 (First ever "superhero")

Give some props to Gilgamesh or Heracles.

#12 Posted by batshrine (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@isaac_clarke said:

@batshrine said:

Superman: 1938 (First ever "superhero")

Give some props to Gilgamesh or Heracles.

Dude I'll give you props for mentioning Heracles by his proper name! None of those heroes went out to save people as a goal, though they were heroes in their own right. Plus neither of them had secret identities. Yes heroes with super natural powers have existed in fiction all throughout time, however Superman is the first one that goes by our labeling of Superheroes.