Is it possible to get Destiny: The Taken King for less than 80$?

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_red_viper  Moderator

So I own a physical copy of the original Destiny, purchased not long after it was launched. After quite some time-off I've just started playing it again, and I couldn't help but notice that about 75% of the game's content requires having "The Taken King". Even things that were available prior to its release.

As you probably know, TTK cannot be accessed unless you have the 2 other DLCs: The Dark Below and House of Wolves. Both can be purchased for 35$.

TTK, however, is another 40$. Which means I have to pay 75$ for DLCs without which most of the game is simply unaccessible (even though it used to be).

There's always the option of selling my copy and buying the Legendary Edition for 60$, but I don't know who would buy it (and there are no stores that buy used games like GameStop where I live).

Is there any way of gaining access to this content without having to pay 80$ or trying to find someone to buy my old copy?

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blade_R

Wow that sounds absurd. So now things that were available to you aren't anymore because of that TK stuff? And you cant get TK without two other DLCs that you also have to pay for?

Who is still supporting these business practices? That's insane to me lol

Anyway, your only two options are probably buy all the DLC for 75$, or trade in/sell your standard copy and then buy the complete/definitive edition for 60$.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@blade_r: well it's mostly all-new content that is unavailable without those expansions, which is legit, but there are things like some cooperative missions, multiplayer modes, and all sorts of gear rhat used to be accessible but now aren't.

For example I have a piece of armor that I could wear once, but now wearing it requires reaching lvl 40 (and you cap at lvl 34 without TTK expansion).

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: well it's mostly all-new content that is unavailable without those expansions, which is legit, but there are things like some cooperative missions, multiplayer modes, and all sorts of gear rhat used to be accessible but now aren't.

For example I have a piece of armor that I could wear once, but now wearing it requires reaching lvl 40 (and you cap at lvl 34 without TTK expansion).

That's pretty dumb IMO. So pretty much things you originally had access to was taken away and is now only available again unless you pay more money? That's crazy. I get paying money for new content/add ons but some of that other stuff is sketchy to me lol

swiftbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bungie makes DLC's more expensive than the game itself... GG

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef
deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swiftbullet: who's surprised? This game was doomed as soon as Activision took control

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just forget the game altogether. It's not even worth it.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@silkyballfro94: I'm still enjoying the 25% I can play without paying. The game is very well-made, and I am usually not really into sci-fi and all that. I have also heard that the expansions, especially TTK, are pretty great. But why so goddamn expensive...?

Maybe I'll give it a shot at selling my copy and buying a digital copy of the Legendary Edition after all. Or I'll just buy a new game. Or more comics, lol.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I were you, I would just forget about the game. It's terrible and has insane anti-consumer business practices.

But if you really want to torture yourself and get the Taken King, just sell your copy somewhere and get the legendary edition.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

If I were you, I would just forget about the game. It's terrible and has insane anti-consumer business practices.

But if you really want to torture yourself and get the Taken King, just sell your copy somewhere and get the legendary edition.