is it morally wrong to own pets?

• 53 results
DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll is it morally wrong to own pets? (60 votes)

Yes, animals should stay in their natural environment instead of a prison (house/cage/tank/etc) 13%
No, animals received better lives under proper human care, than when in their natural environment 78%
Too complicated an issue to choose either side 8%

i read some animal rights information and it appears that some people discourage keeping of pets, because when removed from the wild for a long time, many of these animals lose their survival instincts and basically become reliant on the owner - they can't fend for themselves, can't forage for food on their own, and can't navigate around on their own.

The sad thing is that many pet owners get tired of their pets and abandoned them, hence condemning them to death.

what do you think? is it wrong to keep an animal captive outside of its natural environment?

• 
AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AlphaQ

As long as they're not being abused or tortured an animal has no rights to me, so no.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By CitizenSentry

To own domestic animals, no, it is not morally wrong.

To own Wild animals yes it is, you are depriving them of their natural "self" and only endangering the animal, yourself and those around you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if you mean like a pet chimpanzee, or tiger or something. Then yes I find that wrong. Dogs, cats and other common house pets are fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b4a71696d1f
deactivated-59b4a71696d1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you say pets, what animals are you referring to?

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:
@citizensentry said:

To own Wild animals yes it is, you are depriving them of their natural "self" and only endangering the animal, yourself and those around you.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If everyone gave up on owning animals all at once and just let them "be free" a ridiculous number of them would die.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Absolutely not

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if your pet is a human.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No lol. I don't like pets so I can't say

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

domesticated animals are already reliant to us.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah...

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:
@citizensentry said:

Well if you mean like a pet chimpanzee, or tiger or something. Then yes I find that wrong. Dogs, cats and other common house pets are fine.

where do you draw the line?

What's the difference between wild and domestic animals? There are wild dogs and there are domesticated dogs for instance. And what is so different from a pet chimpanzee compared to a pet dog?

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donatellorawks: The difference is in your question. One is WILD (and taking it in is depriving it of its habitat and potentially endangering those around you) and one is DOMESTIC (reliant on humans, they literally need us to survive in the wild). He's saying anything wild its wrong to keep, anything domestic is perfectly fine, in fact owning a domestic animal is beneficial to them since it'd probably get put down if it didn't get sold.

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonatelloRawks

@the-seeffiss17 said:

@donatellorawks: The difference is in your question. One is WILD (and taking it in is depriving it of its habitat and potentially endangering those around you) and one is DOMESTIC (reliant on humans, they literally need us to survive in the wild). He's saying anything wild its wrong to keep, anything domestic is perfectly fine, in fact owning a domestic animal is beneficial to them since it'd probably get put down if it didn't get sold.

Well, the problem I see here is that there is still some gray area on distinguishing between wild and domesticated animals.

I would like to ask if its possible for a wild animal to turn domesticated? All you had to do is "abduct" the animal while it was a baby and take care of it (via imprinting), is it that simple?

The pet industry offers a HUGE variety of pets - Dogs and cats are the most common, but there are more "exotic" examples like lizards, frogs, snakes, or maybe even Orang Utans. The problem could be with the pet industry for offering creatures which had not yet evolved over the centuries like cats and dogs did to be reliant on humans.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the problem I see here is that there is still some gray area on distinguishing between wild and domesticated animals.

I would like to ask if its possible for a wild animal to turn domesticated? All you had to do is "abduct" the animal while it was a baby and take care of it (via imprinting), is it that simple?

The pet industry offers a HUGE variety of pets - Dogs and cats are the most common, but there are more "exotic" examples like lizards, frogs, snakes, or maybe even Orang Utans. The problem could be with the pet industry for offering creatures which had not yet evolved over the centuries like cats and dogs did to be reliant on humans.

the distinguishing point between wild and domesticated animals is that the domesticated ones have generations worth of domestication into them that they are born relatively calm to humans whereas the wild ones will always be instinctively cautious to every creature except its own race.

even if you take in a wild animal when it was a baby, generations worth of natural instinct to it is more likely to kick in. we already have countless stories of supposed domesticated wild animals killing their owners.

the pet industry doesn't legally sell orangutans or generally anything as big as a human because chances are they are more than capable of harming us in a snap. the smaller exotic ones are still wild, you just don't see that wildness because they are generally harmless to you because of their size, except for snakes and certain lizards.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

A lot of people in the world don't have the quality of life my dog has.

Shadowmaster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exotic animals no. Dogs, Cats, Canaries, Ferrets,.... yes. But only if they are well taken care of.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No, because most domesticated animals would go extinct and/or get slaughtered in the wild.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It depends on how the animal is treated.

Sadly, there are many volatile sub-humans in this world who exploit, abuse and neglect animals.

BloodBlunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hershey Cat and Kami Dragon are more than my pets. They're my friends.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with owning a cat, dog, hamster, guinea pig, etc. These animals all have been domesticated by mankind. It's silly to think that it'd be better to let all of these domesticated animals loose in the streets.

I'm not a fan of birds being kept as pets. It seems cruel to keep them in tiny cages. This same idea may extend to spiders, snakes, and fish. I never really thought of them in this way.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nopes

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnyz256: Ah, but we breed dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, snakes etc. for our own amusement. They don't exist in these numbers naturally.

Is it right to bring so many animals into the world just for our desire for animal companionship? Especially when so many end up abandoned, abused and killed?

Something to think about.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: God did give us the animals for our use. They are not to be abused, of course. That is wrong.

CombatKung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like hygienically wrong.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we didn't domesticate them while's back they'd all be dead by now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6c6de088804
deactivated-5c6c6de088804

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dogs, Cats and the like, no. If we leave them alone in the streets, they get killed by cars, starvation or diseases most of the time. If you have the money and the time to take care of them, then why not?. The wrong choice would be leave them.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Doctor_Wheatley

It depends. I don't like birds as pets they need freedom.

Dogs need humans.

Cats don't.

Ant Colony? Sure why not if you know how to take care of them.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@quinnofthestoneage said:
@sophia89 said:
@citizensentry said:

@silkyballfro94 said:

What's the difference between wild and domestic animals? There are wild dogs and there are domesticated dogs for instance. And what is so different from a pet chimpanzee compared to a pet dog?

Most breeds of domestic dogs have had most of their survival instincts bred out a long time ago

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@donatellorawks said:
@quinnofthestoneage said:
@sophia89 said:
@citizensentry said:

@silkyballfro94 said:

Most breeds of domestic dogs have had most of their survival instincts bred out a long time ago

Anyone tries to take my dogs I'll kill them. They're my kids.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

smh

@alphaq said:

As long as they're not being abused or tortured an animal has no rights to me, so no.

Pretty much this, but IMO it would be morally wrong to abandon animals we've bred to be almost fully reliant on us anyways.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

Owning pets just subtly freaks me out because of the vast differences between the pet's and the owner's perceptions of the world and thus their understandings of the relationship.

It reminds me that relationships between individuals, including those between people, are based not on how the people actually are, but their representations in their own and each other's minds, which vary from person to person.

- The artist formerly known as DarthMummy

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dernman

@buttersdaman000 said:
@dernman said:

smh

@alphaq said:

Pretty much this, but IMO it would be morally wrong to abandon animals we've bred to be almost fully reliant on us anyways.

You do realize I exaggerated for affect right?

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By linsanel_Doctor

I think it's irresponsible of humans to move creatures out of their normal environment/natural environment. Really pets are completely reliant on their human "owners".. most likely they would die without the owner.. They don't have rights and are basically no better than trash/toys...

Dogs and cats are fine to own because at this point that's all they're good for..

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dernman

Man the nuts are out in force. Peta would be proud.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@dernman said:

smh

@alphaq said:

You do realize I exaggerated for affect right?

No I did not *redirects smh to himself*

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gamejutsu

Another controversy revolving around pets is how people "own" pets, or how it's "yours". A lot of people say that kinda of stuff is wrong as well.

Kind of like enslavement in a way. I myself personally see pets as adopted animals in my care, not as something that belongs to me, or is "my ___".

TheJman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Animals that most people keep as pets have been domesticated for tens of thousands of years. Their survival capabilities are already stunted, so releasing them into the wild would be a death sentence. They need us at this point.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Option 1

Avatar image for deactivated-62460873414ac
deactivated-62460873414ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still the perfect answer^

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Animals that most people keep as pets have been domesticated for tens of thousands of years. Their survival capabilities are already stunted, so releasing them into the wild would be a death sentence. They need us at this point.

Correct

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator
@vacren said:

Yes animals should be free.Let them spread wings.

Yeah, let's see how well that does with dogs.

KaiThighJu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.