#1 Posted by kgb725 (5786 posts) - - Show Bio

My mother and my nana are tripping because I hang out with my English professor mostly because I'm 18 & he's 51.

Is it bad that we hang out ? Is it weird ?

#2 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#3 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5467 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, you both must be killed.

In all seriousness, no. But it wouldn't to have friends your age.

#4 Posted by russellmania77 (14538 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as it doesnt lead anywhere and even if it does, hey, you got with a smart guy

#5 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by XImpossibruX (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Age is just a number.

wow that sounds wrong

#7 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

it means your a geek!

JK I mean were on a website about comic books

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (6712 posts) - - Show Bio

I spend most of my free time hanging out with a 12 year old.

#9 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15001 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping this would be a juicy story about a forbidden romance.

Damnit

(No, hang out with whoever you want)

#10 Posted by Squares (4851 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing wrong with that. Unless he's behaving inappropriately, in which case get the hell out of there.

#11 Posted by JetiiMitra (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

It's bad that you hang out with anybody. There should be a law against hanging out. Do something productive!

#12 Posted by JediXMan (29479 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't see what's wrong with that.

#13 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all. $h!t, the only person who really got me was my Italian History professor. My "friends" never got how much I loved and wanted to talk about history. But, if it's a sexual thing...nasty!

#14 Posted by XLR87T3 (2237 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: him. Otherwise having a professor as a friend has it's benefits (see Back to the Future 1-4).

#15 Edited by silkyballfro94 (1525 posts) - - Show Bio

No if anything, it is a great advantage and benefit. I mean he's a lot wiser than you and he probably gets mad p**sy.

#16 Edited by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: #4? Must have missed that one.

#17 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3 said:

@kgb725: him. Otherwise having a professor as a friend has it's benefits (see Back to the Future 1-4).

back to the future 4? I wish...

#18 Posted by Squares (4851 posts) - - Show Bio

Your mother and nana are likely worried because of the age difference, and are concerned that your professor may be taking an unwholesome interest in you. Dispel their fears as best you can, but at the same time keep a watchful eye on your friend.

#19 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by unBREAKable_Fs4 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping this would be a juicy story about a forbidden romance.

Damnit

(No, hang out with whoever you want)

I was secretly hoping this too, and I was thinking the OP would be female and the professor would be a male in his 30s lol

#21 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Sleep with him to get your grades up. If he refuses, go to the chair and/or board and say he made sexual advances in exchange for improved grades. Then sleep with him again. Everyone wins.

#22 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it is weird. Friends should generally be someone around your own age. I'm not saying that it's impossible to have older friends, but I am saying it's rare and could easily be considered "weird".

#23 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15001 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Cable_Extreme (8558 posts) - - Show Bio

If he passes you, then no. I would hang out with any professor in any way to pass my classes with an A.

#25 Posted by unBREAKable_Fs4 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Herokiller12344 (987 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I'm a contradictory douche, I will say yes. Only a lame or teachers pet hangs out with the professor.

#27 Posted by JediXMan (29479 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it is weird. Friends should generally be someone around your own age. I'm not saying that it's impossible to have older friends, but I am saying it's rare and could easily be considered "weird".

This is a rather narrow minded outlook. As long as there is nothing sexual or, otherwise, unhealthy about it and the entire thing is based on actual friendship, there's nothing wrong with it.

#28 Edited by redhood21 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

When people talk to me i ask myself 3 things....

1.Why is this person talking to me?

2.What do they want?

3.What are they going to/trying to do to me?

If the scenarios in your head aren't bad either you're naive or you're safe :D

In all seriousness older friends arent a bad thing, I hang out with a 50 something firefighter and talk about comics all day with him and a couple of my other friends.... you should however considerthe 3 listed as a joke somewhat seriously in this scenario....

#29 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: He/She was asking if it's weird, and the general consensus of the public would probably find it a little odd.

I worded that poorly. I'm not against it, I'm friends with the old principal of my high school, albeit we don't hang out or anything.

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

BURN THE WITCH

#31 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

It's quite common in MetH's Honest opinion.

June'sVeryOwn

#32 Posted by Bruxae (12533 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the gender of both of you, how often you hang out and where.

#33 Posted by BumpyBoo (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all. I kind of think that friendships with age differences can be beneficial for both of you, and have always gotten along better with older people. Done right, you get a great mix of youthful enthusiasm, tempered with the wisdom and knowledge that can only be gained from a few years extra experience. But then, I'm 28, spend most of my time with two fifty year olds, and my closest friends are a teenager, someone five years older, and someone ten years older :) Different age groups can teach each other so, so much. You have greater knowledge culturally of different generations - a younger friend can keep you up to date on what is current, while an older friend can make you aware of the more obscure things from before you were born, that you might not come across otherwise. And that is really just the start. Never got hanging around with people all your own age. Feel like it kind of restricts your horizons a little.

Wow, wasn't expecting to preach on this XD Feel more strongly than I thought O_O

#34 Posted by SoA (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as it does not cross the line(at least while ur still his student), its fine.

#35 Posted by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#36 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Long as it's more Batman-and-Robin and less, well...Batman-and-Robin, if you catch my drift.