#1 Edited by silkyballfro94 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

Are the ways of being honorable gone? Do you think it will ever come back as a custom/trait that is encouraged and lived by? Or are our times just not a place for this anymore?

#2 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17496 posts) - - Show Bio

How are you defining honour?

#3 Posted by PowerHerc (80657 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not dead but it's become an archaic concept in the "what I want/think is the only thing that matters" narcissism of modern society.

#4 Posted by GraniteSoldier (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on your definition and who you surround yourself with.

#5 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

No just ask Zuko

#6 Posted by Ratatat (697 posts) - - Show Bio

yes it died a long long time ago

#7 Edited by Samimista (20569 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on your definition and who you surround yourself with.

This.

#8 Posted by HumanRocket (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not dead but it's hard to find and it take a special type of person to have it in today's time.

#9 Posted by Nefarious (18314 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#10 Posted by Edamame (27875 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, that depends on the individual and the location.

#11 Posted by Marshall_Long (1862 posts) - - Show Bio

Out went Honor, in came Hipster.

#12 Posted by RDClip (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends. If you mean the knight/samurai honour before reason and needless sacrifice, then yes. If you mean not being a complete selfish ass and treating people in a manner you would like to be treated, then no

#13 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: The courage to do what is right, no matter what. A belief that your actions represent more than just yourself, the recognition that what you do defines your entire generation. Keeping your word, being trustworthy, having integrity and being fair. Stuff like that.

#14 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17496 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: The courage to do what is right, no matter what. A belief that your actions represent more than just yourself, the recognition that what you do defines your entire generation. Keeping your word, being trustworthy, having integrity and being fair. Stuff like that.

Alot of those things though are subjective and depend on a particular situation. Things are alot more complicated than the simple ideas of honour and chivalry.

#15 Posted by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@silkyballfro94 said:

Alot of those things though are subjective and depend on a particular situation. Things are alot more complicated than the simple ideas of honour and chivalry.

In essence, honor itself is subjective. That said, whether for better or worse, honor is still alive.

#16 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17496 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@silkyballfro94 said:

In essence, honor itself is subjective. That said, whether for better or worse, honor is still alive.

Depends on how you are defining honour.

#17 Edited by Jayc1324 (8891 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so. I do think that most people don't even know what real honor is, but it's not dead. It's just hard to find in some people

#18 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Blood_Red_Rage (508 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not dead but it's become an archaic concept in the "what I want/think is the only thing that matters" narcissism of modern society.

Bingo. This is especially the case in the west.

#22 Posted by dngn4774 (2660 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

Bingo. This is especially the case in the west.

Couldn't have said it much better than that.

#23 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not dead. But in a world where so many conversations are performed anomalously, it's a concept that makes you look "weak" and easily "bullied".

#24 Edited by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: That's why I said for better or worse. Some people have such an asinine concept of honor.

Edit: If I started listing them, I'd just get depressed more depressed.

#25 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17496 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: That's why I said for better or worse. Some people have such an asinine concept of honor.

Edit: If I started listing them, I'd just get depressed.

Ha ha fair enough :)